Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Poll

Are you on facebook?

ES I AM ON FACEBOOK AND I\'M HOPELESSLY ADDICTED
9 (3.4%)
es I am on facebook and I use it often
44 (16.8%)
es I am on facebook and I use it not so often
52 (19.8%)
es I am on facebook but I can\'t remember the last time I used it
19 (7.3%)
o I am not on facebook but I am thinking of joining
6 (2.3%)
o I am not on facebook and have no intention of joining
90 (34.4%)
acebook is evil incarnate
31 (11.8%)
hat\'s facebook?
11 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 258

Author Topic: Let's talk facebook...  (Read 4564 times)

Description:

Offline adzTopic starter

• Knight of the Sock
    • Show only replies by adz
Let's talk facebook...
« on: May 24, 2009, 11:08:29 AM »
I always promised myself that I'd never sign up with facebook (or any other mainstream social networking site) but given that I am surrounded by this god awful thing; missus, kids, cat, dog etc. it's all starting to have an affect on me. So I thought I'd throw it out to Amiga land in the form of a poll!

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
Re: Let's talk facebook...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 12:15:07 PM »
I just don't get the hype surrounding this abomination. :crazy:

Nope. No Facebook or Friendface for me. (Check out the video on the Friendface site. Says it all really. :lol:) (Video originally appeared on the Channel 4 comedy show "IT Crowd")
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 12:19:18 PM by GadgetMaster »

Offline taunusand

• Show only replies by taunusand
    • www.amiga.dk
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 12:20:56 PM »
I visit amiga.org and amiga more often than facebook ;-)
It's nice to "catch up" with some old frinds you have not seen in years, but i prefer to meet people face to face.
A1200, Blizzard 030, 2+32MB ram, 4GB CF, pcmcia netcard, Kickstart 3,1
A600, 2MB chip ram+4Mb pcmcia S-RAM, Kickstart 3,1
CD32 - Just for fun  :-D

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 01:39:52 PM »
Naah, just, naah
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline arnljot

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 02:57:17 PM »
Facebook is evil. It three steps beyond google. Which I have fallen for in terms of using google mail.

My worst fear is that google will buy face book and then the internet will own all of my soul.
A posting a day keeps the sanity away...
http://www.arnljot.com

Offline quarkx

• Show only replies by quarkx
    • http://www.amigalounge.com
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 03:52:46 PM »
First of all do a search/inquiry on who actually funds Facebook. I am not trying to be funny here, but you will actually see that it is all CIA money, so they can Datamine people, friends, etc.
Second, Yes I did have an account, but about a year ago they "changed" the design. There was so much active scripting, I immediately canceled my account as it was choking my computer. You could no longer run a script blocker in FF and actually see anything on the page. Also EVERY application, wanted or needed full control of your computer, account, everything. Again, very good way of putting Trojans on your system. in the end, it was a collossel time waster, so i left it behind. That and twitter. I am much happier now without it.
I have Amiga stuff for sale at http://amigalounge.com. You can follow my builds there also.

Offline quarkx

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 04:01:21 PM »
Also potential employers, and HR departments are now using Facebook to Check out potential employees. IF you belong to certain groups, have drunken pictures of your self, anything, they are now using that in evaluating positions. Remember, anyone can access it.
I have Amiga stuff for sale at http://amigalounge.com. You can follow my builds there also.

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 04:20:41 PM »
I really, really don't understand the rampant paranoia regarding Facebook.  Yes.  If you do stupid stuff and post about it (bragging), people will see you.

NOTHING wants "control of your computer".  Games and facebook apps simply need access to your FACEBOOK ACCOUNT in order to fill in the blanks of their own data, such as your birthdate, etc.

Use it wisely, play the games, and get away from it.  All I can say is that it's been quite helpful in keeping in touch with old friends and schoolmates.

Wouldn't touch MySPACE with your "10 foot pole", and I find others like linkedin useful, but kinda boring.

Guess all you paranoid ninnies are glad I didn't install the "Facebook theme" eh?

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline mr_a500

• Show only replies by mr_a500
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 04:21:07 PM »
This poll should allow multiple selections. I think Facebook is evil incarnate, but I'm now on Facebook - and I'm starting to get obsessed checking for updates.

For years I boycotted Facebook and hated when people sent me stupid Facebook friend requests. I finally gave in and joined a couple months ago when I saw there were a bunch of old friends there that I hadn't talked to for 25 years - and Facebook was the only way I had of contacting them.

So now people (and agencies) can track me and see my connections, but I make sure don't put too much identifying information on it - no birthdate, education, work, location. I don't ever use the stupid applications (why do they ALL need my personal info??).

One thing that REALLY disturbs me about Facebook is that you can't permanently delete personal messages. You delete them, but they still exist. That seems a bit sinister. Why can't they be deleted?

Offline quarkx

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 05:02:27 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;455992
I really, really don't understand the rampant paranoia regarding Facebook.  Yes.  If you do stupid stuff and post about it (bragging), people will see you.

NOTHING wants "control of your computer".  Games and facebook apps simply need access to your FACEBOOK ACCOUNT in order to fill in the blanks of their own data, such as your birthdate, etc.

Use it wisely, play the games, and get away from it.  All I can say is that it's been quite helpful in keeping in touch with old friends and schoolmates.

Wouldn't touch MySPACE with your "10 foot pole", and I find others like linkedin useful, but kinda boring.

Guess all you paranoid ninnies are glad I didn't install the "Facebook theme" eh?

Wayne

Wayne,
I am not really all that paranoid, but I can see the potential (and I use the word POTENTIAL) with a site like Facebook. First, you have the worlds biggest Dataminning site. Now, anyone (PR firms to Pedophiles) can use it to track everything you do. Especially for those who "live" on it and are constantly updating their status. Second, if I wanted to write a Virus to take down 90% of the computers in the world, I would just have to hide it in a cool Application.
A month or so ago, Facebook, tried to change their terms of service agreement to read basically anything you did, posted or wrote on facebook became their (facebook's) exclusive property. It wasn't until it hit the national news, that people even knew about it and forced Facebook to change decision back.
Facebook is NOT a good thing, It is a Trojan horse! (in the literal term.). You don't think that Homeland Security in the US is keeping a very close eye on people through Facebook? This is only the beginning of what is going to come from Facebook (and other social networking sites). I would love to hear your thought 5 years from now.

Offline steve30

• Show only replies by steve30
    • http://www.stevecoates.net
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 08:42:33 PM »
I registered on faceb00k under a false identity exclusively to have anosey round other people's accounts.

So far, none of my so called friends have actually used it to contact me, and all the people I was at school with were idots so I don't want to contact them.

I joined an amiga group but due to the sites uselessness and excessive use of javascript I am going to cancel my account soon. Its not like I'll be missing much. All the people I want to talk to online are on forums and/or IRC.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 10:08:12 PM »
Quote from: quarkx;455998
Wayne,
You don't think that Homeland Security in the US is keeping a very close eye on people through Facebook?

"Homeland Security"...now there's an oxymoron..... :furious:

You don't think "Homeland Security" in the US is keeping a very close eye on people through *EVERY* site they can get access to?? "Homeland Security" is just a legitimacy for the US Government to spy on whoever, whenever they want. If people start ranting and raving about it, the just drop the bombshell "Hey, you let us pass the Patriot Act. It's in the interests of national security".
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 10:11:09 PM by Methuselas »
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 10:36:21 PM »
Undoubtedly the most annoying thing about the Facebook craze is the use of the word "Facebook" as a verb. "Do you Facebook?" or "Oh yeah, just Facebook me about it." or "He Facebooks me all the time." The only good thing about this is that it presents the opportunity to inform people that you Facebooked their mum.
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline motrucker

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 10:46:43 PM »
My 11 year old Grand daughter is starting to outgrow facebook - its about at the "who cares" stage now. Many of her friends still use it though. I guess the 11 to 14 year old crowd that uses it say volumes...
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline mingle

• Show only replies by mingle
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 01:55:42 AM »
Psst... I'll let you in on a little secret...

There are already OTHER ways to keep in contact with old friends!!!

One is called an 'instant messenger', the other an amazing invention called 'email' and the third is a devilishly clever piece of electronic trickery called a 'telephone'!

:-)

Mike.