Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Poll

Are you on facebook?

ES I AM ON FACEBOOK AND I\'M HOPELESSLY ADDICTED
9 (3.4%)
es I am on facebook and I use it often
44 (16.8%)
es I am on facebook and I use it not so often
52 (19.8%)
es I am on facebook but I can\'t remember the last time I used it
19 (7.3%)
o I am not on facebook but I am thinking of joining
6 (2.3%)
o I am not on facebook and have no intention of joining
90 (34.4%)
acebook is evil incarnate
31 (11.8%)
hat\'s facebook?
11 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 258

Author Topic: Let's talk facebook...  (Read 4562 times)

Description:

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
Re: Let's talk facebook...
« Reply #44 from previous page: June 01, 2009, 08:20:03 PM »
Quote from: quarkx;455998
I would love to hear your thought 5 years from now.

Google quite handly finds every stupid thing I've ever done online, including all the dumbass things I posted as a teenager on USENET over 15 years ago. Thankfully, none of that has come back to haunt me. The difference with MySpace, Facebook, et al is they are an accurrate reflection of how "normal" people (among whom I do not count myself) socialize in the real world. All the geeks have taken their samurai-sword-weilding-pizza-boy-contract-killing alter egos to MMORPGs (yuck, but good for them), where they can continue to be ponces without real world retribution. The rest of the world is quickly learning that the things you do online impact real people and have real consequences.

Offline adzTopic starter

• Knight of the Sock
    • Show only replies by adz
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2009, 02:38:23 AM »
Let's see, as it stands we have:

45.49% who use FaceBook

2.7% who are sitting on the fence

48.2% who don't use FaceBook

3.6% who have no idea what FaceBook is

Not clearly decisive IMO. Quite frankly it would be easier to just wait for Moto to sign up and then sign up myself in sympathy, that way I'll be able to have at least one friend :D

Offline JC

• Show only replies by JC
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2009, 03:24:33 PM »
Quote from: save2600;456413
Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, etc. are evil incarnate as far as I am concerned. Hey little girl... wanna a cell phone? Yeah, all these things are today's candy for young and impressionable robopathic types.

C'mon... all these new and improved ways of keeping in touch are little more than commercial exploitation on many, many, many levels.  I contend that ALL of these forms of communication are counterproductive and unhealthy to say the least. People, especially young, are so socially awkward today and this cutesy electronic geeky/techy crap is for the easily brainwashed that need better direction and guidance in their lives.

Sorry to sound like an old fuddy-duddy, cause I'm not (37). I'm just sick and tired of seeing our society become more and more retarded by the day and that's exactly what governments and corporations want you to be. I'm also disgusted by all this texting and blatant cell phone abuse. And Twitter?? Nice name. Who cares what you're doing 24/7. Most people have NOTHING to say (get off the damn phone already!). They're NOT interesting in the least. Mediocrity is NOT cool and I refuse to accept that it is, despite the current agenda that seems to be winning. People with children that shouldn't even be allowed to own pets. Yep - that's our society today!

I just had to reply to this one BRAVO! BRAVO! Most people are too dumb to know that they really need to stop the tweety facey spacey crap get out from behind the computer and go do something.
A1000, A500, A600, A1200, CDTV, A2000, A4000 Towered, SamFlex 800mhz,

Offline Fester

• Show only replies by Fester
    • http://www.rdmsnippets.com
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2009, 04:45:40 PM »
I'm in the category: I was on Facebook. I enjoyed it thoroughly for several months, finding old friends and acquaintances.

I eventually deleted all my comments, photos and everything else and closed my account. I overreacted sure, but I don't miss it now.

Offline Varthall

• Show only replies by Varthall
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2009, 12:06:48 PM »
I don't have enough free time to spend on it, and I find much more rewarding spending my time coding or doing ports.

Varthall
AmigaOne XE - AmigaOS 4.1 - Freescale 7457 1GHz - 1GB ram
MPlayer for OS4: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-amigaos/

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2009, 02:37:24 PM »
I had a facebook account for a long time, then, whilst visiting a friends page got hit by an XSS scripting attack. Deleted my account shortly thereafter and disabled javascript by default for browsing thereafter.

Wouldn't use it again.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2009, 08:12:59 PM »
Quote from: adz;455941
I always promised myself that I'd never sign up with facebook (or any other mainstream social networking site) but given that I am surrounded by this god awful thing; missus, kids, cat, dog etc. it's all starting to have an affect on me. So I thought I'd throw it out to Amiga land in the form of a poll!

Facebook is really just an advanced version of Email.  Email 2.0 if you will.   I think people that say "Facebook sucks I'll never use it!! " typically have never actually used Facebook.  There is feeling that Facebook is something more than it really is.

It's as private as email.  More so really as businesses can't really Spam you like your private email address gets spammed.  Only your family and friends have access to post to your Facebook.  That is the people YOU choose to let send you messages.  So it's a little better than email in that sense.

There is no great mystery behind it.  I mean you check it like you'd check email.  You get to see what others want you to see.  I have relatives all over the country and it's just lets us stay in contact.  Grandmas, Great Grandmas, my parents, etc etc.  

I wonder if when the phone was invented people complained about it like they do facebook.  "I'll never use a phone!"  Pen, paper, and stamps for life!!
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline taunusand

• Show only replies by taunusand
    • www.amiga.dk
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2009, 01:18:21 PM »
Quote from: AmigaHeretic;509654
Facebook is really just an advanced version of Email.  Email 2.0 if you will.   I think people that say "Facebook sucks I'll never use it!! " typically have never actually used Facebook.  There is feeling that Facebook is something more than it really is.

It's as private as email.  More so really as businesses can't really Spam you like your private email address gets spammed.  Only your family and friends have access to post to your Facebook.  That is the people YOU choose to let send you messages.  So it's a little better than email in that sense.

There is no great mystery behind it.  I mean you check it like you'd check email.  You get to see what others want you to see.  I have relatives all over the country and it's just lets us stay in contact.  Grandmas, Great Grandmas, my parents, etc etc.  

I wonder if when the phone was invented people complained about it like they do facebook.  "I'll never use a phone!"  Pen, paper, and stamps for life!!

I think you have a very good point there.
A1200, Blizzard 030, 2+32MB ram, 4GB CF, pcmcia netcard, Kickstart 3,1
A600, 2MB chip ram+4Mb pcmcia S-RAM, Kickstart 3,1
CD32 - Just for fun  :-D

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2009, 02:16:11 PM »
I think its kinda funny how most comments on here about social networking sometimes reach the point of some kind of zenophobia!. really shows the age/demographics of the folks that visit here.

If your in a band you almost "have" to use stuff like Facebook/Myspace/Twitter
Its really not all that bad. I visit each once a day to check up