Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: **Need Setup HELP** with Classic Amiga 2000 HARD DISK (Bridgeboard)  (Read 95770 times)

Description:

Offline Pat the Cat

Re: **Need Setup HELP** with Classic Amiga 2000 HARD DISK (Bridgeboard)
« Reply #284 on: January 31, 2017, 07:30:27 PM »
Quote from: Dandy;821198
- According to the German Amiga wiki (http://www.amigawiki.de/doku.php?id=de:expansion:other:a2088xt), the German Commodore engineers in Braunschweig designed the PC/XT on the bridgeboard strictly in line with the original IBM 8088 XT/PC specifications.

And as far as I remember, the original IBM 8088 XT/PC only had two 5 1/4 360 kB floppy disk drives by default - no harddrive. That means you cannot use a harddrive with the XT/PC on your A2088XT bridgeboard - just the Amiga can access the drive via the bridgeboard and the MFM controller in the ISA slot.

Listen, the red parts are not true. Any XT could read and write to any ISA PC hard drive. It was delivered as a floppy only system, but it was upgradable. There may be a DOS partition on that drive, but whether it is BOOTABLE without a floppy, or Janus running correctly with right settings, or maybe both, is the issue. The original IBM PC is a different matter, XT allowed expansion beyond floppy. :)

All XTs could USE hard disks. Bridgeboards permit Amiga applications and operating system to access PC ISA peripherals, true.

There may not be any PC parititions, there may only be Amiga formatted partitions, BUT if Wally was using it as a PC as part of a university course, it's a certainty he used a DOS partiton for the DOS based work he was doing.

I say a CERTAINTY. Whether or not it's readable by the XT or any other system now is a different matter. :) I'm optimistic, I think it's still there.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 07:33:17 PM by Pat the Cat »
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline wbrejniaTopic starter

• Show only replies by wbrejnia
« Reply #285 on: January 31, 2017, 07:33:26 PM »
Dandy,

You may be right about the XT and no Hard Drive.

And yes the Bridgeboard only has a Floppy Drive Connector.

But when I plug in my WD Controller Card into the ISA Slot, that enabled a Hard drive on the PC side. I have proved I can access my Hard Drive BIOS with the MS DOS "DEBUG"

And below the Bridgeboard specs show this (SHARED between the 2088 and 2286 Bridgeboards)

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #286 on: January 31, 2017, 07:42:25 PM »
What I think you got it basically the same as the A1000 sidecar, but with ISA abilty tacked on. That let you use either type of hard drive, from either side.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_Sidecar

The IBM XT WAS NOT AVAILABLE FOR THE FIRST 2 YEARS WITHOUT A HARD DRIVE PREFITTED.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer_XT

It's stone age tech, but it does all talk to each other, IF you can set it up right. Sidecar let you have a PC, hard disk, connected to an  Amiga with it's own floppy drive. Check the photograph in first link, understand the drives. The Zorro 2 cards were much nicer, but same basic principles.

So yes, maybe you just did boot to Workench on the hard drive... but on 1.2, you could never autoboot from that or any other hard drive. You would have to start from floppy to boot Amiga, start Janus, Start PC. From then on, you could use floppy or hard drive on either system.

Why would you not have a PC boot partition too? You could work quicker that way, but you would still have to start from Floppy, from the Amiga, to run Janus, boot the XT DOS from it's own parition.

Maybe you never bothered and just used XT environment to boot from floppies all the time... doesn't sound right. To me, anyway.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 07:54:58 PM by Pat the Cat »
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

« Reply #287 on: January 31, 2017, 07:48:20 PM »
Thanks Pat....We are all on the same page.

THE BRIDGEBOARD Supports HD with a Controller Card in ISA SLOT, just like the XT did.

I just got an email that my 8bit LO-Tech ISA/IDE Adapter just got shipped.

Can't wait for it to arrive.

Not much to do till then (except read and go thru my WB disks for clues. Make some fresh copies of everything for the future NEW install).

Will that IDE/CF card work? I'll order one. Cheap for the value it will bring.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 07:50:53 PM by wbrejnia »

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
« Reply #288 on: February 01, 2017, 06:43:49 AM »
Quote from: wbrejnia;821199

These are the two Bridgeboard Guides on the NET (thanks to Darkage in post above)
-
The PDF Scan of the Original Paper Bridgeboard Manuals(One German and One English - with the Appedix and FDISK)
http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/a2088xt (On this site you can also get the BB disks images)

Here is the AmigaOS Manual (where I read about the MOUNTLISTS and where they are placed, and Read at Boot time.)
http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/AmigaOS_Manual:_AmigaDOS_Additional_Amiga_Directories

Thanks for the link! That was what I was looking for...

Quote from: wbrejnia;821199

I am pretty sure PC Side supports Hard disks.

After having had a Brief look at the table of content I have to agree - there's a chapter about fitting a harddisk: "D.   Einbau einer Harddisk   D-1".

So forget my guessing about the A2088XT not being able to use harddisks.
I was just confused because in the docs I had seen so far floppy drives were mentioned, but no harddrives. In a "tech spec" I would have expected the mentioning of the possibility of using harddrives with it...

Now I can start to read the manual in detail...
I'll come back later...
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

« Reply #289 on: February 01, 2017, 08:01:15 AM »
** THINGS ARE NOT GOING WELL with my FIRST TRIAL (Jlink Virutual Drive : Appendix C (BB Manual). **
*****************************************************************************************

1) I tried the section in the BB manual (To create a VIRTUAL DRIVE) on the AMIGA FILE SYSTEM

I Properly run "ADISK" on the Amiga side.

I properly added DEVICE= JDISK.SYS into the MDOS Boot DISK CONFIG.SYS file.

It does load, since I even did a TYPO (Jbad.sys) and the Boot complains that file doesn't exist.

If I don't include that entry into CONFIG.SYS and run Jlink.exe (I get an error message saying (JDISK.SYS not installed: )

But then running JLINK hang on any switch (ie JLINK e: RAM:vd /C:160). Even tried JLINK by itself which should just list any VIRTUAL DRIVES. (160KB in minimal size, if you use 4 KB it complains)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I thought the RAM drive might not have enough space so I tried a trick to test if communication between PC and AMIGA is happening

1) I used notepad to CREATE a FILE on DF0: call "VM" full of text
2) I ran the command ( JLINK DF0:VM )
3A) According to the manual if the "VM" file exists on df0: then it should prompt you with (a question if you want to continue)
3B) But no PROMPT
3C) And no activity on DRIVE LED

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I even tried with MSDOS3.3 and MSDOS6.2 to be safe it's not my DOS version.

This should work since this is Simple Bridgeboard Functionality.

Dandy, If you have a Sidecar then can you try this an see if it works for you?

Pat, anyone, if your A2000 have a bridgeboard, can you try this?

Can this be tested on AmigaForever? (not the same but just to test)

** I even double reboot the systems when re-trying to make sure, and that takes a lot time **

I have no idea why this doesn't work, or what I could do to fix.

Next I'm going to try doing the (AREAD & AWRITE) as per the BB Manual (My hopes are low :( )

And if that doesn't work, my hopes for anything to work DROP :( :( (Till I figure out a root cause)

BURNING IN THE BACK OF MY MIND (is I should put back the Original Kickstart 1.2 ROM to match This Workbench 1.2, and my original HW setup.  MAYBE the BB I have has a BIOS that needs that Kickstart)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 08:04:56 AM by wbrejnia »

Offline darkage

• Show only replies by darkage
« Reply #290 on: February 01, 2017, 10:07:07 AM »
Quote from: wbrejnia;821206

I just got an email that my 8bit LO-Tech ISA/IDE Adapter just got shipped.

wow you went for it..  I wished I had a old XT to modernise for fun, but I sadly threw them out a long time ago.

wish you luck.

Offline Raffaele

• Show only replies by Raffaele
« Reply #291 on: February 01, 2017, 10:50:52 AM »
One of my former Amiga friends, Giuseppe, has at parents home one working A2000 with Janus 386 board and both he owns a non functioning bridgeboard 486sx, and both cards are with complete disks and manuals in italian.
In that remote age I helped him replacing standard 5,25" Floppy with 3,5" frame model on PC side and he put ISA IDE board into PC side, so he had no any of your problems with HDDisks and floppies, but sure I will ask him for a image of the floppies.

Dunno when he could find some spare time to retrieve all the material back tough, so you must be patient.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 10:57:57 AM by Raffaele »
Que viva el Amiga!
Long Life the Amiga!
Vive l\'Amiga!
Viva Amiga!

Offline Raffaele

• Show only replies by Raffaele
« Reply #292 on: February 01, 2017, 10:56:28 AM »
@Wbrejnia

In your first post, when you originated the thread, you said HD woke up with loud click-click sound...

This make me think one of drive heads has gone.

Hard disk should had woke with noisy gentle whirl sound... Noisy, but sure gentle, not clicky...
Que viva el Amiga!
Long Life the Amiga!
Vive l\'Amiga!
Viva Amiga!

« Reply #293 on: February 01, 2017, 02:49:57 PM »
Quote from: Raffaele;821264
@Wbrejnia

In your first post, when you originated the thread, you said HD woke up with loud click-click sound...

This make me think one of drive heads has gone.

Hard disk should had woke with noisy gentle whirl sound... Noisy, but sure gentle, not clicky...
I may have described the sound SOUND, and behavior wrong. It's not a CLICK, it's more like a Squeak. Loud because I'm comparing to today's Hard Drives.

The drive on power up does make the Gentle Whirl sound, and then the classic "squeak-squeak" sound of the drive head moving and parking.

I know that sound from years ago. Then things would go quiet as drive would spin-Huum quietly. Exactly the same now.

When the system was fully working years ago the "squeak-squeak" would continue as the drive did it's reading and writing. Many squeak-squeaks.
The way to imagine it is every time the HD LED would blink there would be a squeak.
The head moving Sound is very characteristic of that Octagon Drive. (LED BLINK=Squeak) (No blink, no squeak)

Right now everything is the same, except no further drive-reading-squeaks since there is no communication to the drive.

If I figure out how to get that drive recognized, that Squeak-SQueak-Squeak sound will be Music-to-My-Ears.

The DEBUG format would be one way to test out and hear the drive work again, but I'm not formatting the drive till I totally give up.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 02:56:28 PM by wbrejnia »

« Reply #294 on: February 01, 2017, 03:03:07 PM »
Quote from: Raffaele;821262
One of my former Amiga friends, Giuseppe, has at parents home one working A2000 with Janus 386 board and both he owns a non functioning bridgeboard 486sx, and both cards are with complete disks and manuals in italian.
In that remote age I helped him replacing standard 5,25" Floppy with 3,5" frame model on PC side and he put ISA IDE board into PC side, so he had no any of your problems with HDDisks and floppies, but sure I will ask him for a image of the floppies.

Dunno when he could find some spare time to retrieve all the material back tough, so you must be patient.

Last night I decided to go through and organized my disk.

I found all my Workbench 1.3 disks (All of them including INSTALL, FONTS, EXTRAS, and STORAGE).   On there I found many interesting tools, including HTtools.  I ran the HardDrive tools and it's all stuff for an Amiga Side Hard Drive.

However if you friend has a copy of the DOS disk that came with the BB, that would be interesting to see the directory listing.   Especially the contents of CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT if the exists.

« Reply #295 on: February 01, 2017, 03:09:09 PM »
Quote from: darkage;821257
wow you went for it.. I wished I had a old XT to modernise for fun, but I sadly threw them out a long time ago.

wish you luck.
Yes I did (BY mistake, hitting [BUY IT NOW] to see shipping cost). Since I'm stuck with the unit, Yesterday I also ordered a IDE-USB flash drive from a local seller in Nearby, in Canada.

If this project doesn't work out, (AMIGA-to-PC Setup). I'll hope to at least get the 8088 PC side working standalone (booting on it own) without floppy, etc.

I'll be PIMPING my Amiga PC :)  (Just like the YouTube Video you posted above)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:12:11 PM by wbrejnia »

« Reply #296 on: February 01, 2017, 07:04:38 PM »
Quote from: wbrejnia;821275
Last night I decided to go through and organized my disk.

I found all my Workbench 1.3 disks (All of them including INSTALL, FONTS, EXTRAS, and STORAGE). On there I found many interesting tools, including HTtools. I ran the HardDrive tools and it's all stuff for an Amiga Side Hard Drive.

However if you friend has a copy of the DOS disk that came with the BB, that would be interesting to see the directory listing. Especially the contents of CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT if the exists.

So I'm getting concerned. This Old Magenetic media is aging. The 5.25" DOS diskettes' keep failing and I have to reformat them to work.

I am in the process of making duplicate copies of the many important disks I have.

But even then, many of my BLANK disks that I want to format for duplicate copies are aged, and about 1-5 are usable. I have plenty of not needed disks so keep try others, but loosing one disk that I can't find on WEB would be an issue.

To be safe I noticed I have magnetic screwdrivers and other Magentic stuff in my workarea. Have put everything away at a distance. Staying away from Power Supplies and CRT Monitors.

Rather then getting a box of new (3.5") floppies I'm consider a GOTEK USB drive (as suggestest in a post above)
Selling here in Canada (nearby seller) http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Amiga-USB-Floppy-Disk-Emulator-GOTEK-beige-w-8GB-USB-key-/182422877030?hash=item2a79403366:g:e1gAAOSwd2xXP8Oo

Are these easy to setup. It appears this one is Flash burned and ready to use on the A2000 (less work then flashing myself).

Do they just replace my current floppy (ribbon cable to A2000 Motherboard, even though Internal 3.5" has a crip type connector).

I would still have my External A1010 drive for real floppies, so would be a nice flexible working setup.

I assume I could boot ADF games disk and more, plus have access to all ADF copies of Workbench, Install, etc disks. (Considering I don't really have any choice for a Amiga Side Internal HD, without getting a Controller card and SCSI drive)

Would this setup allow me to boot off of External or Gotek and have access to a USB based library of disks? (Better than my Amiga Explorer PC and the slow transfers)

Any comments?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 07:06:43 PM by wbrejnia »

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
« Reply #297 on: February 01, 2017, 08:59:54 PM »
@wbrejnia

Please read the complete posting - solution comes near the bottom...

Original by wbrejnia:

** THINGS ARE NOT GOING WELL with my FIRST TRIAL (Jlink Virutual Drive : Appendix C (BB Manual). **
************************************************** ***************************************

1) I tried the section in the BB manual (To create a VIRTUAL DRIVE) on the AMIGA FILE SYSTEM

I Properly run "ADISK" on the Amiga side.

Errmmm - you're confusing me.
"ADISK" s not mentioned in the Appendix C of the BB manual - just "JLink".

As far as I can see, "ADISK" is mentioned for first time in "APPENDIX E: INSTALLING AND USING A HARD DISK ON THE PC SIDE" at the bottom off page 71.

Original by wbrejnia:

I properly added DEVICE= JDISK.SYS into the MDOS Boot DISK CONFIG.SYS file.
It does load, since I even did a TYPO (Jbad.sys) and the Boot complains that file doesn't exist.

If I don't include that entry into CONFIG.SYS and run Jlink.exe (I get an error message saying (JDISK.SYS
not installed:)

Did you start "PCDisk" before running "Jlink.exe"?
As Appendix C on page 61 of the BB manual says:
"PCDisk must be running in order for the JLink program to work."

To start "PCDisk", you have to insert the "PC System Disk" into a 5.25 inch disk drive and
the "PC Workbench" diskette (apparently this is the one 3.5 inch floppy disk containing the
Bridgeboard "PClnstall" program, delivered with the BB) into the Amiga's 3.5 inch internal disk drive
before running the "JLink" program, according to Appendix C on page 61 of the BB manual. Open the PC
drawer on the Workbench, and double-click on the "PCDisk" icon.

At this point, page 7 of the English manual might be interesting:
2. INSTALLING THE BRIDGEBOARD HARDWARE  (page 7)

MAKE SURE you received the following items in the Bridge board box:
· One 3.5 inch floppy disk containing the Bridgeboard "PClnstall" program*
  . * NOTE: In some countries you may receive a "special PC Workbench disk" in place
  . of (or in addition to) the Install disk listed here. In this case you will not need to go through the
  . process of installing the PC software on a copy of your Workbench disk, as described in Chapter 3.    
  . However, you will find Chapter 3 useful if you want to create a personalized "PC Workbench" disk for
  . some special use.
· Three 5.25 inch floppy disks containing MS-DOS System Software, GWBASIC and other special software
  for use with the Bridgeboard

Do you have this "special PC Workbench disk"? (important to know)
(The term "PC Workbench disk" is misleading and confuses me each time, as there exists nothing like a
"PC Workbench". In our daily use of the language we normally refer to a "PC" (x86 IBM compatible
computer) when we say "M$-Dos" or "Windows" today, while the term "Workbench" is linked to Amiga
computers.
To be clear, we should either say "PC disk", or "Amiga disk"...)

It will also be important to know which AmigaOS version (Workbench version) is used on the 3.5" floppy
disk from the Bridge board box, as it must correlate with the Kickstart version you're using.

On my system I always made a new boot disk for my HD each time I upgraded to a new Kickstart & Workbench
version. For this I booted the Amiga with the new WB, formatted an empty DD floppy disk as bootable and
copied over all the stuff from the OLD boot disk for my HD.
And I named the disks properly, e.g. "HD bootdisk 3.1" for use with Kickstart & OS (Workbench) version

Original by wbrejnia:

But then running JLINK hang on any switch (ie JLINK e: RAM:vd /C:160). Even tried JLINK by itself which
should just list any VIRTUAL DRIVES. (160KB in minimal size, if you use 4 KB it complains)

Make sure that you start "PCDisk" before trying to run "Jlink.exe"! (see above)

Original by wbrejnia:

I thought the RAM drive might not have enough space so I tried a trick to test if communication between
PC and AMIGA is happening

I saw the manual also has a chapter about RAM expansion...
But I highly doubt you can find a 128 kB RAM expansion board for ISA slots nowadays...
(keep in mind your A2088XT cannot use more than 640 kB RAM and has 512 kB by standard, IIRC)

Original by wbrejnia:

1) I used notepad to CREATE a FILE on DF0: call "VM" full of text

OK...

Original by wbrejnia:

2) I ran the command ( JLINK DF0:VM )

Confusion again.
As you said a few lines up: "But then running JLINK hang on any switch" - did it work this time?
If not, possible reasons could be either that JLINK did not work (possibly "PCDisk" not started before?), or linking the file to a drive letter did not work.

The syntax of this command is as follows:

JLINK n: filename /sw

where
- "n" is the virtual drive to use (letters A and B are reserved for physical floppy drives, C   for physical harddrive. So chose D or beyond),
- "filename" is a standard Amiga path specifying a file (e.g. DH0:s/user-startup), and
- "sw" is one of the following switches:
  /n -all messages suppressed except errors
  /c:n -create that volume on Amiga side. Here, "n" is the size in kilobytes
  /u - unlink that volume
  /r -link read only (all write access will fail)

Note: If you do not specify a switch, "JLINK" will attempt to link to an existing file.
If the file does not exist, the link will be unsuccessful.
If you use /n with /c, existing volumes are deleted without any warnings.

Original by wbrejnia:

3A) According to the manual if the "VM" file exists on df0: then it should prompt you with (a question
if you want to continue)

Note: If you do not specify a switch, "JLINK" will attempt to link to an existing file. If the file does
not exist, the link will be unsuccessful.

Ah - I think now I understand what the issue is.
You created the "VM"-file with NotePad. But this is just a text file for the computer - not a "virtual drive"-file!
A real "virtual drive"-file is generated with the "JLINK n: filename /sw"-command!
You used "JLINK DF0:VM" - but it should have been e.g. "JLINK D: VM /c:100", where the "100" specifies the size of the "virtual drive"-file to 100 kB. German manual says that the default value for "n" is 32768 (32 mB). Keep in mind that the floppy disk in df0: has a maximum capacity of 880 kB on the Amiga side - so I doubt that higher values than 720 kB (max. size of PC DD floppy disks) make sense in this experiment...

The Germn manual furthermore says that you MUST close the used virtual file (with
"JLINK D: VM /u") before switching off the computer!

The German manual also comes up with a nice idea:
Creating the virtual file in the Amigas RAM: disk with e.g. "JLINK D: RAM:PC_DRIVE_D /c:1024" (provided your Amiga has enough RAM, e.g. more than 1.5 mB)!

Original by wbrejnia:

3B) But no PROMPT
3C) And no activity on DRIVE LED

In the face of the above explained things I`m not surprised...

Original by wbrejnia:

Dandy, If you have a Sidecar then can you try this an see if it works for you?

Nope.
Don`t have a "siecar" - I just had an 80286 HW add-on that plugged into the CPU socket of the A500.
B.T.W. - as far as I remember, the "Sidecar" originally was an external expansion for the Amiga 1000.

Today I use my towered A4000 with CyberstormPPC accelerator, Mediator PCI busboard with Voodoo4 graphics card, Terratec soundcard and 100 mBit network interface card. It has broadband access and is networked with a WIntel box (core i5 quadcore).
To access the PC from the Amiga I use a registered copy of Darren Eveland`s little program "RDesktop".  
To access the Amiga from the PC, you can either use "Samba", or just "smbfs" (SaMBa File System ) - I use the latter.
Works like a charm - no slow bridgeboard required...

Original by wbrejnia:

I have no idea why this doesn't work, or what I could do to fix.

But I had - see above...
;-)
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline leofoe

• Show only replies by leofoe
« Reply #298 on: February 01, 2017, 09:01:42 PM »
I just stumbled upon this thread...
I only read it briefly, because it's a lot of posts.

As far as I understand you want to read an MFM harddisk connected to a bridgeboard in an Amiga 2000. I also have this setup and an A1000 with A1060 too. Both working! The A2000 with a hardfile (IIRC) and the Sidecar with a Filecard (Controller with MFM HDD).
In the A2000 I even have got an ISA NIC and I can access the internet on the Amiga side using the Etherbridge software.

I have been fiddling a very long time to get the A1000/1060 setup working. And it was just because of the floppy drive AND the HDD were bad. As soon as I got replacements it started working nice. I only had to disable a lot of bad blocks on the replacement drive. I used a software tool to know which blocks. You do not need any drivers.

I also tried one of those ISA/XT/IDE cards you mention. Unfortunately it did not work in the A1060. It worked in a PC.

So, if you still have any questions on how to setup, I maybe helpful. There is also an expert on bridgeboards on the German a1k.org. We could contact him if needed as I understand German.

A video to see the A1000/A1060 booting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PamfEkIbQU

Regards,
Leo
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 09:06:19 PM by leofoe »

Offline darkage

• Show only replies by darkage
« Reply #299 from previous page: February 01, 2017, 10:01:01 PM »
Quote from: wbrejnia;821286

Rather then getting a box of new (3.5") floppies I'm consider a GOTEK USB drive (as suggestest in a post above)

Strongly would recommend.  Its a whole new world with a emulated drive.   Just put ADF images on te usb stick, whack it into the Go Tek.  Boot the Go Tek with the standard ADF and select which slot number for images to occupy.   Then its as easy as selecting a number on the drive for the appropriate floppy image.

No more bad floppies and can have a whole floppy collection on usb.  :)