Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: **Need Setup HELP** with Classic Amiga 2000 HARD DISK (Bridgeboard)  (Read 95796 times)

Description:

Offline darkage

• Show only replies by darkage
Re: **Need Setup HELP** with Classic Amiga 2000 HARD DISK (Bridgeboard)
« Reply #299 on: February 01, 2017, 10:01:01 PM »
Quote from: wbrejnia;821286

Rather then getting a box of new (3.5") floppies I'm consider a GOTEK USB drive (as suggestest in a post above)

Strongly would recommend.  Its a whole new world with a emulated drive.   Just put ADF images on te usb stick, whack it into the Go Tek.  Boot the Go Tek with the standard ADF and select which slot number for images to occupy.   Then its as easy as selecting a number on the drive for the appropriate floppy image.

No more bad floppies and can have a whole floppy collection on usb.  :)

Offline wbrejniaTopic starter

• Show only replies by wbrejnia
« Reply #300 on: February 01, 2017, 10:08:17 PM »
Dandy,

Thank for your detailed analysis.

My mistake for a few very bad typos. I have to walk to one computer and back, and my typing is always bad.

Based on what you pointed out, I actually did everything correct.

I Ran PCDISK, Janus is in Expansion drawer on Amiga Side, JANUS libraries are loaded by Bridgeboard,, etc (Everything like the Manual says)

It is best that I show two important screenshots. Maybe even a YouTube Video next time.

1) First screenshot is a test I did to show DOS is loading JDISK.SYS

2) 2nd Screenshot shows that JLINK hangs
----> but it should show a prompt that the DF0:VM file is already there. Doesn't matter what kind of file. The prompt logic it to prevent you from overwriting a important file.

Jlink hangs no matter what command or /switch I try.

« Reply #301 on: February 01, 2017, 10:17:10 PM »
Quote from: leofoe;821290
I just stumbled upon this thread...
I only read it briefly, because it's a lot of posts.

As far as I understand you want to read an MFM harddisk connected to a bridgeboard in an Amiga 2000. I also have this setup and an A1000 with A1060 too. Both working! The A2000 with a hardfile (IIRC) and the Sidecar with a Filecard (Controller with MFM HDD).
In the A2000 I even have got an ISA NIC and I can access the internet on the Amiga side using the Etherbridge software.

I have been fiddling a very long time to get the A1000/1060 setup working. And it was just because of the floppy drive AND the HDD were bad. As soon as I got replacements it started working nice. I only had to disable a lot of bad blocks on the replacement drive. I used a software tool to know which blocks. You do not need any drivers.

I also tried one of those ISA/XT/IDE cards you mention. Unfortunately it did not work in the A1060. It worked in a PC.

So, if you still have any questions on how to setup, I maybe helpful. There is also an expert on bridgeboards on the German a1k.org. We could contact him if needed as I understand German.

A video to see the A1000/A1060 booting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PamfEkIbQU

Regards,
Leo

Leo,
Thanks for the video. Wish the video quality was better and more time spent on screen. But nice to see.

As far as your point on the "ISA/XT/IDE", it is for my Bridgeboard PC side.

If you read more above, you will understand that my Hard Drive is on PC side on a Controller in ISA slot. My goal is to see that PAIR from Amiga Side thru Bridgeboard.

I can communicate with Controller using Dos Debug (Controller BIOS Format Program).

Controller appears to be talking to DISK (since if I disconnect disk, BIOS program doesn't continue).

The whole purpose of getting the "IS/XT/IDE" card to replace my Controller/HD and see if I can get things working.

BUT THE BIGGEST MYSTERY for me is "IF CONTROLLER AND DISK are OK", and no DOS driver needed, why does DOS "Fdisk" not pick up C: drive (Formatted or not, corrupt data/sectors or NOT)?

The "IS/XT/IDE" card will solve that mystery.

Offline leofoe

• Show only replies by leofoe
« Reply #302 on: February 01, 2017, 10:46:38 PM »
If you have a replacement MFM disk you can find out if the disk itself is the problem.

« Reply #303 on: February 01, 2017, 11:33:10 PM »
Quote from: leofoe;821296
If you have a replacement MFM disk you can find out if the disk itself is the problem.

Getting a new MFM drive working isn't my goal. ( My goal is to possibly read the contents of my MFM disk if the Drive Contents are still good )

I have avoided running the LOW LEVEL FORMAT since I don't know it's characteristics (I have looked and found some info, but don't even know which model ALOK Octagan MFM disk I have I have since not Labelled anywhere).

If I did know characteristics I could LOW LEVEL FORMAT since as this link says it is NOT A "Regular DOS type FORMAT", it would only lay down the tracks and sectors (which I don't know what they are structure wise). Laying down incorrect tracks/sectors would destroy access to contents.
https://kb.iu.edu/d/aaoa

Another solution I found is a MFM reader like shown here https://www.pdp8.net/mfm/mfm.shtml
But that is way too much work. Not sure it will work for $ spent. Still probably need DRIVE characteristics , and at the end I have nothing of value.

So goal is to figure out and get this A2000 Setup working, with some practice on the (ISA/XT/IDE Adapter)  with an (IDE Drive), or a (IDE Flash Drive), like a replacement MFM Disk.

At the end, I could use the improved AMIGA PC setup and throw out OLD MFM Drive.

Offline darkage

« Reply #304 on: February 02, 2017, 12:15:35 AM »
Quote from: wbrejnia;821298

I have avoided running the LOW LEVEL FORMAT since I don't know it's characteristics (I have looked and found some info, but don't even know which model ALOK Octagan MFM disk I have I have since not Labelled anywhere).

http://redhill.net.au/d/9.php

I dont think there would be too many RLL/MFM Alok Octagan models.   If its written anyware the number of heads, cylinders, sectors then you would be able to work out the capacity and narrow down the models. ?

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #305 on: February 02, 2017, 12:17:09 AM »
Quote from: wbrejnia;821298
Getting a new MFM drive working isn't my goal. ( My goal is to possibly read the contents of my MFM disk if the Drive Contents are still good )

If I did know characteristics I could LOW LEVEL FORMAT since as this link says it is NOT A "Regular DOS type FORMAT", it would only lay down the tracks and sectors (which I don't know what they are structure wise). Laying down incorrect tracks/sectors would destroy access to contents.
https://kb.iu.edu/d/aaoa

Another solution I found is a MFM reader like shown here https://www.pdp8.net/mfm/mfm.shtml
But that is way too much work. Not sure it will work for $ spent. Still probably need DRIVE characteristics , and at the end I have nothing of value.

So goal is to figure out and get this A2000 Setup working, with some practice on the (ISA/XT/IDE Adapter)  with an (IDE Drive), or a (IDE Flash Drive), like a replacement MFM Disk.

At the end, I could use the improved AMIGA PC setup and throw out OLD MFM Drive.

You've seriously misunderstood leofoe's post.  He's trying to give you a clue that your current drive may be dead, and if so, you won't be recovering anything from it.  And to determine if it's really dead, he's suggesting that you install a known good MFM drive to rule out problems elsewhere such as your controller card or a software issue.  Basic troubleshooting.....

« Reply #306 on: February 02, 2017, 01:00:50 AM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;821301
You've seriously misunderstood leofoe's post. He's trying to give you a clue that your current drive may be dead, and if so, you won't be recovering anything from it. And to determine if it's really dead, he's suggesting that you install a known good MFM drive to rule out problems elsewhere such as your controller card or a software issue. Basic troubleshooting.....
I clearly understood LEOFOE'S post.

I am VERY SURE my MFM Controller works.

I have no idea if my MFM drive is good but Controller talks to it and it responds.

Yes, a new (Validated working MFM) drive would be a good way to prove controller is working, and try all the step for a new MFM drive Partion, Format, etc

I may consider that, but what I see on Ebay is too expensive, non proof the MFM Drive is working or any better than mine.
 Another DRIVE type would not give me any information on my Drive Characteristics (Key Unknown) to LOW-LEVEL Reformat this drive (to get to my data).

I am going to try and find the ALOK Octagon Model I have an LOW LEVEL FORMAT IT.   THERE Must be some way to figure out the model.

« Reply #307 on: February 02, 2017, 01:21:18 AM »
Quote from: darkage;821300
http://redhill.net.au/d/9.php

I dont think there would be too many RLL/MFM Alok Octagan models. If its written anyware the number of heads, cylinders, sectors then you would be able to work out the capacity and narrow down the models. ?

Thanks Darkage, any info on KALOK Octacon Drive helps.

This is the best I found. http://www.mfarris.com/hard/Kalok.html (Even has details on one model, would be luck if mine!! ).

KALOK Made only 4 MFM Models (KL320,KL330,KL340,KL360) before they went out of Business, according to all my research.

Question is which is mine and what are the parameters [heads, cylinders, sectors] so I can Safely do a Low Level Format.

(I assume I can't try all 4 parameters and not loose data).

This Photo is extra Large in case someone see's a clue for Model Type. ( Nothing written on sides)

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 01:24:02 AM by wbrejnia »

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #308 on: February 02, 2017, 01:35:00 AM »
Quote from: wbrejnia;821305
so I can Safely do a Low Level Format.

(I assume I can't try all 4 parameters and not loose data).

A low-level format will erase everything on the drive.  Incorrect parameters won't hurt anything.  In most cases using the wrong parameters will just cause the formattting application to fail or throw an error message.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 01:40:23 AM by ferrellsl »

« Reply #309 on: February 02, 2017, 02:16:45 AM »
OH MY GOD!! The HARD DRIVE is Alive!

To get that Last Good Closeup Photo.

I took apart the Amiga, and removed the Hard Drive.

I looked closely at the drive and noticed the only Jumper there. I decided to carefully remove-and-put-back that DS1 jumper to ensure good contact before putting DRIVE back.

Then I decided to do more....

I also gave a wiggle push on those Power Connectors or whatever those connectors are on the drive.

During re-cabling of ribbon cables I wiped the contacts with some proper circuit board contact cleaner.

WHEN I POWERED UP THE AMIGA, my Heart Stopped when I noticed the DRIVE LED ON THE Drive Blinking during boot up (of Workbench Disk, during Janus Library Load).

Nice consistent pulses like something was happening.

I went Booted up the PC SIDE and booted the MS DOS DISK with the CONFIGS.SYS. More LED PULSES.

I tell you my hands were shaking as I typed in "ADISK" at the DOS PROMPT.

This is what I got When I hit

I just left the computer on after taking (Photo of Screen) above to write this post.

I need to Lie Down a bit, OR Go for a Walk Outside and think about next steps.

I'm still kind of shaky. Haven't peeked into OS on Amiga or PC.
 Things could be good.

This was a Amiga boot with one of my Hacked Workbench disks (One that I hacked over and over last night).

Oh my...

I can't believe this just happened!! (AFTER starting this Journey Over 2 years ago).

Offline darkage

« Reply #310 on: February 02, 2017, 02:48:34 AM »
close looks like you can still read the partition table.   might just need to just mount the drive.

614 cylinders gives a clue.  do you remember the capacity of the drive, therefore narrow down the model number.    

You can use a size calculator to help narrow down capacity -

http://www.csgnetwork.com/mediasizecalc.html

If theres mainly 4 heads through out the product range, then 614 cylinders seems to give capacity of 21mb.    So guessing might be KL-320 ?    something close to that capacity

Heres a nice table of Kolak drives  http://www.yjfy.com/Hardware/harddisk/Kalok.htm
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 02:57:38 AM by darkage »

« Reply #311 on: February 02, 2017, 05:30:12 AM »
Quote from: darkage;821309
close looks like you can still read the partition table. might just need to just mount the drive.

614 cylinders gives a clue. do you remember the capacity of the drive, therefore narrow down the model number.

You can use a size calculator to help narrow down capacity -

http://www.csgnetwork.com/mediasizecalc.html

If theres mainly 4 heads through out the product range, then 614 cylinders seems to give capacity of 21mb. So guessing might be KL-320 ? something close to that capacity

Heres a nice table of Kolak drives http://www.yjfy.com/Hardware/harddisk/Kalok.htm

Darkage, (Thanks for that Calculator, REALLY HANDY)

If you look at the KL330 specs.
http://www.mfarris.com/hard_drives/kalok/kalok_kl330.html

(and the FDISK Partitions from Amiga), 615 Cylinders (cyl 000-614)

It's the only Match. This must be the DL330

Using your calculator and the Specs:
Makes this Drive 33 Gigs

It's luck that it's the DL330 since it's the only one with all the Drive Specs Listed it means (if I wanted to), I could Low Level Format it using DEBUG and Controller BIOS .

HD Specs (Needed by WD Controller BIOS)
-------------------------------------------------
Cylinders:[ 615 ]
Heads: [ 4 ]
Sector/track: [ 26 ]
Precompensation: [ 65535 ]
Landing Zone [ 615 ]
Data transfer rate [0.938 MB/S int ]
Bytes/Sector [ 512 ]
-------------------------------------------------

I'm not formatting anything.

I'm actually not touching/changing anything right now.

Just doing ( x3) backups of everything that got me to this point.

I can't wait to see if I can Mount and boot those partitions, and what's on there, but would go Nuts if I screwed up a file and had to start guessing all over again.

Not jumping in right away, since I'll enjoy this progress for now, and rest my brain.

Next step might be a rat hole again. OR TWO (DOS & AMIGA).

Offline darkage

« Reply #312 on: February 02, 2017, 05:37:00 AM »
Quote from: wbrejnia;821314

It's the only Match. This must be the DL330

Using your calculator and the Specs:
Makes this Drive 33 Gigs

33 Megs you mean.     I get 32.694272 Megs exactly.  So KL330  (:  makes sense since we were mainly discussing RLL instead of MFM.

Probably a good idea to make a note of the hdd parameters reported by the controller and label it on the drive.   :P

Someone testing a KL330 using Nortons Disk Doctor - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl8et6ppyDU

Congrats your drive is worth $495.. crazy http://www.harddrives-usa.com/KALOK-KL330-Hard-Drive.-90-DAYS-DEFECTIVE-WARRANTY-pr-5164.html
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 05:45:31 AM by darkage »

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #313 on: February 02, 2017, 07:42:35 AM »
Quote from: wbrejnia;821308
OH MY GOD!! The HARD DRIVE is Alive!
I looked closely at the drive and noticed the only Jumper there. I decided to carefully remove-and-put-back that DS1 jumper to ensure good contact before putting DRIVE back.
During re-cabling of ribbon cables I wiped the contacts with some proper circuit board contact cleaner.

:laughing: :banana::juggler::drink:Congratulations.
[/COLOR]
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

« Reply #314 from previous page: February 02, 2017, 08:04:33 AM »
Quote from: darkage;821315
33 Megs you mean. I get 32.694272 Megs exactly. So KL330 (: makes sense since we were mainly discussing RLL instead of MFM.

Probably a good idea to make a note of the hdd parameters reported by the controller and label it on the drive. :P

Someone testing a KL330 using Nortons Disk Doctor - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl8et6ppyDU

Congrats your drive is worth $495.. crazy http://www.harddrives-usa.com/KALOK-KL330-Hard-Drive.-90-DAYS-DEFECTIVE-WARRANTY-pr-5164.html

Yeah I meant to say 33 Megs. Hard to say Megs these days when you talk about Storage.

Funny. I knew a replacement WORKING test KL330 wouldn't be cheap.

I'm off better with the 8bit LO-Tech ISA/IDE Adapter and IDE/Flash Drive. And I am going to need it......(Glad I ordered it earlier).

I got all my backups done, on the youngest floppies I have.

So I got back to the Hard Drive. Decided to run "fdisk" to see what would happen now. Came back with a "Partion Read Error" just like always.
That didn't concern me at the time since at this point since "adisk" worked.

-> Then I ran "adisk" and first time it worked again.
-> Then 2nd time also got a Partion Read error.
-> Tried again but this time got something different.

I'm no expert in this stuff, but I think the Drive has degraded magnetically.
Might be good to get Disk Doctor, etc

However I've come up with a few ideas.
-> First whatever I do should be minimal Intrusive.
The less I use the drive the better chance of have of a recovery run of some sort (or a refresh). Again I'm no expert.

Perhaps "leofoe" or "Ferrellsl" can chime me if they have expertise.

But here are my ideas.

A) I wait for the ISA/IDE adapter Flash Drive arrives, and get some practice. (see if that works, and learn the Adisk, Fdisk steps, menus and messages)

Then I have some choices to see what can be done with the Octagon.

I've summarized my thinking below(I hope folks don't mind that I'm a visual presented, since not the best writer):.

And here I've summarize the SPECS to have handy.

I think best to wait for the Adapter and practice...

Anybody have any other ideas?