Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: **Need Setup HELP** with Classic Amiga 2000 HARD DISK (Bridgeboard)  (Read 98186 times)

Description:

Offline wbrejniaTopic starter

• Show only replies by wbrejnia
Re: **Need Setup HELP** with Classic Amiga 2000 HARD DISK (Bridgeboard)
« Reply #314 on: February 02, 2017, 08:04:33 AM »
Quote from: darkage;821315
33 Megs you mean. I get 32.694272 Megs exactly. So KL330 (: makes sense since we were mainly discussing RLL instead of MFM.

Probably a good idea to make a note of the hdd parameters reported by the controller and label it on the drive. :P

Someone testing a KL330 using Nortons Disk Doctor - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl8et6ppyDU

Congrats your drive is worth $495.. crazy http://www.harddrives-usa.com/KALOK-KL330-Hard-Drive.-90-DAYS-DEFECTIVE-WARRANTY-pr-5164.html

Yeah I meant to say 33 Megs. Hard to say Megs these days when you talk about Storage.

Funny. I knew a replacement WORKING test KL330 wouldn't be cheap.

I'm off better with the 8bit LO-Tech ISA/IDE Adapter and IDE/Flash Drive. And I am going to need it......(Glad I ordered it earlier).

I got all my backups done, on the youngest floppies I have.

So I got back to the Hard Drive. Decided to run "fdisk" to see what would happen now. Came back with a "Partion Read Error" just like always.
That didn't concern me at the time since at this point since "adisk" worked.

-> Then I ran "adisk" and first time it worked again.
-> Then 2nd time also got a Partion Read error.
-> Tried again but this time got something different.

I'm no expert in this stuff, but I think the Drive has degraded magnetically.
Might be good to get Disk Doctor, etc

However I've come up with a few ideas.
-> First whatever I do should be minimal Intrusive.
The less I use the drive the better chance of have of a recovery run of some sort (or a refresh). Again I'm no expert.

Perhaps "leofoe" or "Ferrellsl" can chime me if they have expertise.

But here are my ideas.

A) I wait for the ISA/IDE adapter Flash Drive arrives, and get some practice. (see if that works, and learn the Adisk, Fdisk steps, menus and messages)

Then I have some choices to see what can be done with the Octagon.

I've summarized my thinking below(I hope folks don't mind that I'm a visual presented, since not the best writer):.

And here I've summarize the SPECS to have handy.

I think best to wait for the Adapter and practice...

Anybody have any other ideas?

« Reply #315 on: February 02, 2017, 08:22:01 AM »
Quote from: darkage;821315
Congrats your drive is worth $495.. crazy http://www.harddrives-usa.com/KALOK-KL330-Hard-Drive.-90-DAYS-DEFECTIVE-WARRANTY-pr-5164.html

I just thought of something.

Even if I don't get the data, but the drive is good and need a fresh reformat.

I can sell the WD controller with it, and then I can afford a GOTEK :) :) :)

Offline leofoe

• Show only replies by leofoe
« Reply #316 on: February 02, 2017, 08:23:38 AM »
You cannot run an MFM-drive on the ISA/IDE adapter. MFM is not the same as IDE. Even if they have the same connector.

« Reply #317 on: February 02, 2017, 08:27:25 AM »
Quote from: Pat the Cat;821326
:laughing: :banana::juggler::drink:Congratulations.
[/COLOR]

Pat, Thanks. I deserve a bit of moving forward after all this work.

The Journey isn't over quite yet. Still much more to figure out and keep learning.

No matter what happens, I learned a TON !! and it was Fun (sometimes).

You and Darkage have stuck with me from the beginning.
Dandy you've rolled up your sleves and have given me ideas and motivation.

And I appreciate everyone's help Very much!

Thank you all.

« Reply #318 on: February 02, 2017, 08:40:46 AM »
Quote from: leofoe;821330
You cannot run an MFM-drive on the ISA/IDE adapter. MFM is not the same as IDE. Even if they have the same connector.

Leofole,

I am not going to use the (Octagon MFM drive) which is plugged into the (ISA MFM Western Digital Controller) in the ISA PC slot on the Amiga. That will be taken out carefully and put on a shelf till later.

I also ordered an IDE USB Drive. (On it's way from USA)
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/231881879210?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

To use with the ISA/IDE adapter that I order beforehand. (On it's way from POLAND)
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/282312406702?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The ISA/IDE adapter will go into the same SLOT on the PC side of the Amiga as the ISA-WD MFM Drive Controller.

Basically I'm replacing the Octagon MFM drive with a IDE-Flash Drive.

The 8080 Bridgeboard PC will pick up the C: Drive (hopefully, that is what the adapter is suppose to mimic, NO DRIVE NEEDED).

I'll Partition it, format it, mount drives, etc, etc, etc

Once I learn the steps, try THE IDEAS on WD/Otagon.
Pat gave me this idea.

I may need your guidance on those ideas if you have time, and/or the knowledge to give advice.

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
« Reply #319 on: February 02, 2017, 08:44:49 AM »
Quote from: wbrejnia;821305

Thanks Darkage, any info on KALOK Octacon Drive helps.
This Photo is extra Large in case someone see's a clue for Model Type.

Data for KALOK hard drives taken from Maurice Small's Hard Disk Reference Manual:

Code: [Select]
Make Model No. Drive Type Capacity in mB No. of Cyl. No. of Heads Sect. p. Track

KALOK KL 320 Octagon 20. MFM 21 615 4 17
KALOK KL 330 Octagon 30. MFM 33 615 4 17
KALOK KL 330 Octagon 30. RLL 33 615 4 26
KALOK KL 340. MFM 42 820 6 17
KALOK KL 360. MFM 42 820 6 17
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #320 on: February 02, 2017, 08:57:47 AM »
Quote from: leofoe;821330

Idea started as, Wally has lots of IDE and SCSI drives, but no controller to attach to Amiga.

With the IDE / ISA controller, he can practise setting up hard drives on Amiga and Bridgeboard, so can undestand better how the old school Oktagon is setup.

Plus, it gives him a place to store all the data he can access, once he can access it.

Wally, it was an honour to assist you. 99.99% of people do not want to know about the stone age XT systems and how tricky they were. I don't think drive has an Amiga bootblock as such - first parition is DOS, so should be where Bridgeboard can boot up from when Janus is running properly (needs to be cofigured properly). You personaly always started your system with booting from Amiga floppy on 1.2 system, so why need Amiga bootblock on hard disk? ;)

Ribbon cables suck, long term. They wear out, get tatty and damaged, unreliable. I was taught at factory and lab, any sign of damage, replace. Cannot rely on damaged cables. Even a clumsy melt from contact with a soldering iron, I had to make up a fresh cable. Not acceptable to the end user (industrial, transport and military buyers).

Stick with Kickstart 1.2 system for getting your data. Then switch to 1.3, setup proper Amiga hard driveboot, and never worry again about floppy drive startup. (Until Amiga hard drive stops working, all hard drive with moving parts will wear out one day).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 09:05:31 AM by Pat the Cat »
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline Dandy

« Reply #321 on: February 02, 2017, 09:26:34 AM »
Quote from: wbrejnia;821308

OH MY GOD!! The HARD DRIVE is Alive!

Oh my...

I can't believe this just happened!! (AFTER starting this Journey Over 2 years ago).

Congrats also from me!
So problem solved - thread closed?
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline Dandy

« Reply #322 on: February 02, 2017, 10:02:23 AM »
Quote from: wbrejnia;821332

I also ordered an IDE USB Drive. (On it's way from USA)
To use with the ISA/IDE adapter that I order beforehand. (On it's way from POLAND)
The ISA/IDE adapter will go into the same SLOT on the PC side of the Amiga as the ISA-WD MFM Drive Controller.

???
You want to connect an IDE USB drive to an ISA/IDE adapter?
How do you want to plug the USB plug into the IDE connector?
:confused:

I also have an IDE harddrive in an external casing with USB connector - but this is plugged into an USB port - not into an IDE Controller...

Quote from: wbrejnia;821332

The 8080 Bridgeboard PC ...

Your Bridgeboard is called "A2088XT".
The "A20" in the name tells you that it is for an Amiga 2000 and the "88XT" tells you that the PC/XT on it has an 8088 CPU.
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

Offline leofoe

• Show only replies by leofoe
« Reply #323 on: February 02, 2017, 11:33:49 AM »
This is what I get when trying to boot from the IDE HDD on the ISA/IDE adapter:

Offline darkage

• Show only replies by darkage
« Reply #324 on: February 02, 2017, 11:52:36 AM »
have you tried djmount again since viewing the partitioning information on the drive ?

« Reply #325 on: February 02, 2017, 03:25:32 PM »
Quote from: darkage;821342
have you tried djmount again since viewing the partitioning information on the drive ?

DJMOUNT should be running as Part of STARTUP-SEQUENCE, I think the HD LED activity I see happens during DJMOUNT executing.
(but I played with that Hack WB disk a lot, so need to confirm)

DJMOUNT runs in the background so I get no messages, and I'm not sure if the MOUNTLISTs are the correct ones.

Since I'm waiting for Parts to Arrive I'll go back to what I was doing originally:

-> build a NEW WB1.2 DISK
-> then run the BRIGEBOARD INSTALL DISK on top of it
-> then copy over the MOUNTLIST from my OLD ORIGINAL.

By the way, thanks for the VIDEO of Guy Running NORTON on a Octagon.

I looked into that FULLY loaded 486 PC that my friend lent me.

It has everything imaginable. All kinds of DOS Utilities.

Including a copy of NORTON

Since it's a DOS version each of the Tools are separate DOS programs, so I can copy whatever I need to the AMIGA PC. Might work (if enough memory) and might be very useful down the road.

« Reply #326 on: February 02, 2017, 03:27:58 PM »
Does anyone know how to contact Admins on this Forum?
I created that "wbrejnia" ID a long time ago to check out this place.
I want to change my Alias or ID to something more meaningful.
An Alias that I used during my Early C64/Amiga Days.

« Reply #327 on: February 02, 2017, 05:25:11 PM »
Thinking about possible issues with ( [ISA-IDE] [IDE-SD] Adapter Cards, and Memory CARD[Variants/Sizes] )

So the two card should arrive eventually, but I've been reading about that Lo-Tech-CompactFlash-IDE Adapter.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/282312406702?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The Ebay item description talks about it being Picky with Compact-Flash-Adpaters and even being Picky with the Particular Flash card.

I decided to go with the SecureDigital (SD not CF) adapter
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/231881879210?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
for a few reasons.
- I have more SD cards than I do CF cards
- Easier to put SD into PC, but I do have on PC with a CF reader.
- Say's it works with Amiga and PC (so flexible)

What worries me most is the I do have 1MB, 32MB, and 256MB CF cards, but smallest SD card is 1GB.

Will the size of a Memory CARD be an issue for the AMIGA 8080 PC for the FDISK, and Format (hoping Fdisk will allow to partition the SD into useable Chunks)?
Hope I won't be left wondering that things don't work because of the CF-Adapter, or something wrong with my Setup.

Worst case is for $10 I can always get this CF Adapter (or something Similar)
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Syba-IDE-to-CF-Adapter-with-Bracket-Connects-to-3-5-IDE-Host-Interface/400815453925?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140620091118%26meid%3D99c28153bacf46c3af75a8ff51a10e41%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D231881879210

I was thinking PLAN C would be use an IDE HD, but the only two I have are in the 486 and I won't touch those after Finding NORTON on there (plus more tools).

Another option is one of the [IDE-SATA] [IDE-PATA] Adpaters. ($4). I do have plenty of Both drives (but again, is size that the Bridgeboard PC support an issue), plus [it needs another power connector]
https://www.amazon.ca/HDE-Computer-Drive-Interface-Adapter/dp/B00JVUXMRI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1486057124&sr=8-3&keywords=IDE+hard+drive

I'll just wait and try with what I ordered for now.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 05:44:31 PM by wbrejnia »

« Reply #328 on: February 02, 2017, 09:38:45 PM »
Possible solution if there is a PHYSICAL DISK LIMIT SIZE on ISA-IDE (SD Card) Drive.

Basically I used a SD Formatting tool to re-format 32GB SD card down to 60 MB.

So if there is limit on the AMIGA PC (DOS) FDISK Partition Tool, this should fake things out.

I'll can basically BUILD ANY Size Drive I want, and then further Partition it up.

THIS IS THEORY, It May or may not work. (To be Clear, the ISA-IDE card plugs into the ISA slot on PC Side of Amiga)

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 09:45:24 PM by wbrejnia »

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #329 from previous page: February 02, 2017, 11:03:09 PM »
Already told you - 2GB initial boot partition, 2GB partition size for other partitions.

File system (FFS) and OS is limited to that, until you get to 3.5/3.9.

You can hack the software resources needed on to OS for big partitions in theory, but probably isn't going to work reliably with 1.2/1.3, if at all.

Size of card/drive isn't an issue, the way it is setup is an issue. Rather like the ancient drive you are trying to get the data off. :)

ISA picture you just posted on left is full size IDE. Adaptor on right is Amiga/laptop sized IDE. They are compatible, but you will need adaptor cable, big to small. Also, adaptor on right probably has power pins, it need +5V and ground from somewhere. They are built in to A600/A1200 IDE connectors at one end.

I think SD cards rock compared to CF. For Amigas or whatever. ;) Good choices, I think.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 11:32:43 PM by Pat the Cat »
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi