Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What the F***!  (Read 21593 times)

Description:

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
Re: What the F***!
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2011, 08:27:26 PM »
Quote from: Tuxon86;605866
And yet your not even walking. You are barely crawling or being dragged by the big boys like Dell and Asus...

And contrary to your beliefs it was even harder to do in 1985 because there was more competition. Commodore had to fight Apple, Atari, IBM, HP etc etc, each one trying to impose their architecture over the other on a limited marketplace (the personal computer market was smaller at that time).

For someone in the know you should learn a bit more about the history of the personal computer before making such remark.

This is obvious to many of us but perhaps Leo (or whoever he is) is a bit too young to remember those times
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2011, 08:27:33 PM »
For someone in the know
Hee! Good one.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Tuxon86

• Show only replies by Tuxon86
    • http://www.amiga-alive.com
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2011, 08:29:23 PM »
Quote from: Argo;605855
The PC market just standardized like the auto market. All most all vehicles use combustion engines the use gasoline or diesel as fuel.

In the later days of Commdore, even the R&D guys were working on using graphics card in stead of custom graphics chips.

Ah yes standard... they are the motor of innovation ain't they?

This is why we are still driving cars with 19th century designed fuel engine today.

If nobody decided to go against "standard" we would be still riding horses and using leeches as a remedy for all diseases...
Atari 800XL & 130XE, C64, A1000, A500, A2000

Offline Tuxon86

« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2011, 08:31:06 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;605869
Hee! Good one.

Yeah, I forgot the smilies again :roflmao:

Offline TheBilgeRatTopic starter

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2011, 08:38:30 PM »
Wow!  I started a fire!  Sorry!  That's what I get for posting after a beer or three and finding that site after reading a thread on Geek Hack (The Commodore 64 "clone" will most likely have Cherry Blues in it, which is actually really cool).  It just felt like Twilight Zone-ish, as what or who is that market for?  Someone who wants to run Linux while typing on a C64 lookalike?  I wasn't trying to go all h8ter on it, but it was sort of a "Where the hell has this been hiding, and why aren't they even addressing their core fanboi market at all?"

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show only replies by WolfToTheMoon
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2011, 08:56:08 PM »
And yet your not even walking. You are barely crawling or being dragged by the big boys like Dell and Asus...

And contrary to your beliefs it was even harder to do in 1985 because there was more competition. Commodore had to fight Apple, Atari, IBM, HP etc etc, each one trying to impose their architecture over the other on a limited marketplace (the personal computer market was smaller at that time).

For someone in the know you should learn a bit more about the history of the personal computer before making such remark.

You misunderstood me... yes, Commodore did have a big competition. That wasn't what I was thinking. What I was thinking is that in 1985 the A1000 was a giant leap forward in home computing. To repeat that today is much more difficult because home computing is on a different level all together.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2011, 09:08:34 PM »
Personally, I think you're giving too much credit to the Amiga when you claim it to be that revolutionary. Apple likes to stake this claim too. In the end both derive most of their inspiration from Xerox PARC and Xerox's over priced $14,000 GUI based systems (which preceded both).

Now all common personal computers use a mouse, have a GUI, and a multi-tasking OS. But that's not Amiga's legacy (or Apple's), that's due to Xerox.

This has to be the most rabidly contentious thread yet. AmigaOS, OSX, Windows, Linux - what's the difference?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2011, 09:14:24 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;605778
natami!? Nothing to get excited about... at least for me. A slightly faster 68K, again completely unsuited for modern home computing... And for a lot of money, if it is ever finished and released.

OK now this statement is irksome.  Most home users do two things: Look at pictures and surf the web.  Linux isn't a great gaming platform not because of the bazaar, but because of DirectX calls and the domination of DirectX over OpenGL.  Amiga isn't a great internet browser because of a lack of a good modern browser and extensions.  I was surfing the net, playing movies in mplayer, listening to MP3s in xmms on a pentium I (not much faster than the NatAmi specs out at) running debian shortly after my 1200 went south.  Most of us oldies have seen the transition.  i hardly game on my PC anymore because the console market is as good these days, and in fact, the ports often go the other direction now (console to PC).  I know dudes who make it a point to use only P1s and 486s even running Win95. Granted, they're freaks :D If you can survive on a 486 for most tasks, you sure as hell could on a NatAmi.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2011, 09:18:13 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;605882
Personally, I think you're giving too much credit to the Amiga when you claim it to be that revolutionary. Apple likes to stake this claim too. In the end both derive most of their inspiration from Xerox PARC and Xerox's over priced $14,000 GUI based systems (which preceded both).

Now all common personal computers use a mouse, have a GUI, and a multi-tasking OS. But that's not Amiga's legacy (or Apple's), that's due to Xerox.

This has to be the most rabidly contentious thread yet. AmigaOS, OSX, Windows, Linux - what's the difference?

That's not the whole deal... Amiga made it available to a lot bigger audience for a lot less money. 14 000 $ in the 80s... you could probably buy a few cars for that then :)

Offline Tuxon86

« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2011, 09:18:24 PM »

Your talking about the GUI, which is only a very small part of the system. The CLI played a bigger role on the Amiga than Intuition.

The Apples (Mac) didn't have a real preemptive multitasking OS until OS X in 2000-2001. You had to wait for Windows 95 on the PC side.  Amiga had that in 1985. It was one of its main selling point and serve to push the other to develop their own version.

The architecture was also something new and revolutionary at the time.

You should read up on it.

« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2011, 09:20:29 PM »

I think its the desire for better "genetic diversity" so to speak.  Amiga was the "whole tamale", from hardware to software to end user.  These CUSA machines are just the wrapper.

Offline Tuxon86

« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2011, 09:21:18 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;605879
You misunderstood me... yes, Commodore did have a big competition. That wasn't what I was thinking. What I was thinking is that in 1985 the A1000 was a giant leap forward in home computing. To repeat that today is much more difficult because home computing is on a different level all together.

No it isn't. Quite frankly the home PC market could be considered on its decline presently, being replaced by cheap media boxes, game consoles and iPad, iPod type device.

It is exactly the time to start something new as to restart the fire.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2011, 09:21:50 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;605893
I think its the desire for better "genetic diversity" so to speak.  Amiga was the "whole tamale", from hardware to software to end user.  These CUSA machines are just the wrapper.

One could say CUSA are inbred. ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline WolfToTheMoon

« Reply #147 on: January 11, 2011, 09:22:39 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;605886
OK now this statement is irksome.  Most home users do two things: Look at pictures and surf the web.  Linux isn't a great gaming platform not because of the bazaar, but because of DirectX calls and the domination of DirectX over OpenGL.  Amiga isn't a great internet browser because of a lack of a good modern browser and extensions.  I was surfing the net, playing movies in mplayer, listening to MP3s in xmms on a pentium I (not much faster than the NatAmi specs out at) running debian shortly after my 1200 went south.  Most of us oldies have seen the transition.  i hardly game on my PC anymore because the console market is as good these days, and in fact, the ports often go the other direction now (console to PC).  I know dudes who make it a point to use only P1s and 486s even running Win95. Granted, they're freaks :D If you can survive on a 486 for most tasks, you sure as hell could on a NatAmi.

Your average user today browses internet, plays flash/Java games, soon will also run in-browser 3D games(I'm eagerly awaiting Star Trek: Infinite Space :afro:), watches youtube videos... none of that is possible on any amiga(like) system.

But sure, if you're are a retro-user... I agree Natami will tick all the right boxes :)

Offline WolfToTheMoon

« Reply #148 on: January 11, 2011, 09:25:12 PM »
Quote from: Tuxon86;605894
No it isn't. Quite frankly the home PC market could be considered on its decline presently, being replaced by cheap media boxes, game consoles and iPad, iPod type device.

It is exactly the time to start something new as to restart the fire.

the PC market is actually very stable and PC gaming is on the rise. So no worries there...

CUSA are planning a tablet(maybe even a smartphone, although that may be too much from current perspective), but it will not be released that soon.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #149 from previous page: January 11, 2011, 09:25:36 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;605897
Your average user today browses internet, plays flash/Java games, soon will also run in-browser 3D games... watches youtube videos... none of that is possible on any amiga(like) system... :)

WoW..can't you do a wee bit of reading before you post ignorant comments like this
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel: