Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What the F***!  (Read 21597 times)

Description:

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
Re: What the F***!
« Reply #164 on: January 11, 2011, 09:43:16 PM »
Quote from: Terminills;605913
Well to be fair Morphos can do flash in the browser pretty well. =]

don't bother it's blatantly obvious AI & CUSA don't care enough about the community to know what's going on now or what's just around the corner
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #165 on: January 11, 2011, 09:44:05 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;605852
Leo wolf up his moon is funny.

Hate to break it to you, but WTTM is not Leo, wrong part of the world.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show only replies by WolfToTheMoon
« Reply #166 on: January 11, 2011, 09:44:17 PM »
Quote from: Tuxon86;605915
PC market is stagnant, and so is PC gaming.

PC gaming is not stagnant... it's actually on the rise, although less so than some consoles.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #167 on: January 11, 2011, 09:45:23 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;605909
Or any "modern" system today.  This is the cloud-type world, where your tablet of choice logs in and accesses your content.  The OS becomes "meaningless" to the end user- the 3D tv you bought is the monitor, some set top box is the gateway, and your tablet the controls.  When you go somewhere, the tablet comes along and checks in on the 4g network.  But for all of us old curmudgeons who'll have to maintain the Emerald Curtain, how much power do we need to just DO WORK?

Yeah, like I want to buy into that scam. Cloud computing? Halarious! I should place everything on the internet, why? So I can continue to pay for something I could easily do at home?
Social networking, internet access, etc. - yeah that I can see paying for those. But doing word processing via an internet connection? No, that's just dumb.

How much power do I need? As much as I can get because there will always be some app to waste it on. I'll leave it to you (and others that think like you) to buy the intentionally limited hardware.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #168 on: January 11, 2011, 09:45:39 PM »
Quote from: Tuxon86;605918
Are you really trying to twist the meaning of what I have said?

Are you really trying to dismiss all standards?

Quote from: Tuxon86;605918

You bloody well know that is nobody as the courage to go against the flow then nothing changes. It has nothing to do about the standard size of a pill or either you shove a suppository up yours ...

You need to chill the hell out sunbeam. It was precisely because of public demand for better, more effective medicines that brought about standardisation. Just another thing the Victorians did for us.

Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #169 on: January 11, 2011, 09:48:46 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;605893
I think its the desire for better "genetic diversity" so to speak.  Amiga was the "whole tamale", from hardware to software to end user.  These CUSA machines are just the wrapper.

Which can also be said about A1 and SAM440.  Sam440 being a higher quality machine, of course.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Tuxon86

• Show only replies by Tuxon86
    • http://www.amiga-alive.com
« Reply #170 on: January 11, 2011, 09:49:32 PM »
Quote from: minator;605905
I think you have a rather odd view of computer history.

Back then computers were much more limited so it was possible to do something revolutionary with a relatively small numbers of people and relatively small amount of money.  Doing the same today - if it could even be done - would cost Billions (not millions) and require an army of highly qualified people.

As for competition being less, you are kidding? right?

You'll be going up against a massive installed base of pretty much one one highly entrenched system. It's much, much easier to go up against multiple systems in an immature market.

You're basically talking about developing a chipset significantly better than AMD/ATI or Nvidia could develop and producing an OS that would then easily sweep aside Windows - as well as the rest of the PC industry.

You really think that today would be easier than doing it in 1985?
To put it into perspective, the leading PC architecture in 1984 was the Commodore 64.

So ok, we all roll over and die then.

BTW it wouldn't be that hard doing better than NVidia and Ati lately considering how their overpriced card consumed more power than my space heater and they are so buggy as to necessitate weekly drivers updates.

It would be easier today. The tools needed to design them are more powerful today than they were in 1985, and engineer are better trained today in that field. The manufacture plants are also better and more efficient.

God, with attitude and views like that we would have never made it out in space.

As for the entrenched base statement, ask Apple about it. Nobody would have given them a chance in the late 90's but look what innovation did to them. You have to take risk if you want to progress.
Atari 800XL & 130XE, C64, A1000, A500, A2000

Offline TheBilgeRatTopic starter

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #171 on: January 11, 2011, 09:51:30 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;605924
Yeah, like I want to buy into that scam. Cloud computing? Halarious! I should place everything on the internet, why? So I can continue to pay for something I could easily do at home?
Social networking, internet access, etc. - yeah that I can see paying for those. But doing word processing via an internet connection? No, that's just dumb.

How much power do I need? As much as I can get because there will always be some app to waste it on. I'll leave it to you (and others that think like you) to buy the intentionally limited hardware.

The cloud is inevitable for most users.  People will pay for convenience and instant access to the web from whatever easily portable device they have.  I watch people every day word process on ipads and google docs.  its here already.  Don;t shoot me for pointing out the blatantly obvious.  The simple fact is that you ARE the freakish minority these days.  When a RTS like SC2 comes to a console and the top world player is some ADHD tweek who can zerg rush with the kinect faster than you can type, its game over desktop.  It just so happens that there are other Freakish minority members as well, the ones who like squeezing out the most of their silicon.  No need to get so weird about it.  It is about the MASS market- and we all ain't in it by a damn sight.

EDIT: Powermac Quicksilver w/ 1.8Ghz Sonnett CPU card, 1GB memory,  Radeon  9200 video card, and SB Live Audio card - running MorphOS 2.7 and  Ubuntu...Not trying to be a dick, but you realize that this setup is already way behind the power curve, right?

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show only replies by WolfToTheMoon
« Reply #172 on: January 11, 2011, 09:53:42 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;605928
The cloud is inevitable for most users.  People will pay for convenience and instant access to the web from whatever easily portable device they have.  I watch people every day word process on ipads and google docs.  its here already.  Don;t shoot me for pointing out the blatantly obvious.  The simple fact is that you ARE the freakish minority these days.  When a RTS like SC2 comes to a console and the top world player is some ADHD tweek who can zerg rush with the kinect faster than you can type, its game over desktop.  It just so happens that there are other Freakish minority members as well, the ones who like squeezing out the most of their silicon.  No need to get so weird about it.  It is about the MASS market- and we all ain't in it by a damn sight.

I don't think I'll ever succumb to the cloud computing idea. I like my important stuff to be near me, thank you very much. :)

Offline Tuxon86

« Reply #173 on: January 11, 2011, 09:53:55 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;605912
Cell processors found in some consoles are not available on the free market. The end.

Have you asked?

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #174 on: January 11, 2011, 09:54:08 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;605925

You need to chill the hell out sunbeam. It was precisely because of public demand for better, more effective medicines that brought about standardisation. Just another thing the Victorians did for us.

Actually Leander,
I agree with you on most of this, but I'll nit pick one point. Standardized dosages (in medecine) aren't the greatest idea. Why would you give the same dose of medecine to an anorexic 100 pound woman that you would to a 250 lb football player?
Vetrinarians worry about appropriate dosage (based on body weight) more than most doctors do. Not all people respond to medications the same way and people vary greatly in size, but frequently doctors treat patients as if human beings have been standardized (and what works for one can invariably be applied to another).
That's why I'm very selective with the doctors I go to (a degree does not make one eqiuivent to another). Good diagnosis and careful consideration of the patient are still required for proper treatment.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #175 on: January 11, 2011, 09:54:21 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;605912
Cell processors found in some consoles are not available on the free market. The end.

The PowerXCell 8i has been available from IBM for a couple of years.

Offline TheBilgeRatTopic starter

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2011, 10:01:23 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;605929
I don't think I'll ever succumb to the cloud computing idea. I like my important stuff to be near me, thank you very much. :)

I "succumb" to it every day!  Picasa...flickr...gmail...its great to have data redundancy for free what would cost me thousands at home to set up as secure a backup/storage plan.

Offline Tuxon86

« Reply #177 on: January 11, 2011, 10:03:22 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;605925

Nope not dismiss all standard. But sometime to innovate you have to go outside of them.

You don't need to follow all standard either to be able to function in the modern world. The only place where standard are important is in the exchange of information, not how or by what it is processed.

What if I'm using a PC, a Mac or an Schmoo2k11 system as long as I can communicate with you in such a way that you can understand it doesn't matter. But my Schmoo2k11 doesn't have to be a PC or a Mac, it doesn't have to use the same hardware or work at the same speed than the PC or Mac.

You don't have to be standard all the way. Being standard all the way, all the time brings a vision of Borg or Big Brother society.

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #178 on: January 11, 2011, 10:05:32 PM »
That's what I was thinking. desktop PC's are an almost dead market these days. retro looking desktop PC's are not going to go anywhere either. PC's are being replaced by Phones & Tablets now.

AmigaOS is a Hobby OS to many folks that visit here. I'm not sure why This Wolf guy keeps talking down to us like where not aware of the modern world?

Quote from: Tuxon86;605915
PC market is stagnant, and so is PC gaming. Except for FPS and WoW what do you play that can't be played on a console or even a phone?

You seem to think that the young teen posting on Digg are the majority of PC buying market. Things have changed. You are 10 years too late in the PC game. Even game review show like Reviews on the Run spend more time these days talking about iPhone/iPad games than PC games. Also the Wii, Sony Move and the new XBox system are bringing new customer who aren't interested in sitting in front of a PC in a dark basement all days exploding heads or melting faces.

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #179 from previous page: January 11, 2011, 10:07:04 PM »
Quote from: Tuxon86;605927
So ok, we all roll over and die then.

BTW it wouldn't be that hard doing better than NVidia and Ati lately considering how their overpriced card consumed more power than my space heater and they are so buggy as to necessitate weekly drivers updates.

Do you have any concept of just how powerful and capable a modern GPGPU is? How complex they have become? How many billions are involved in their development? How much middleware is included in those drivers?

It would be easier today. The tools needed to design them are more powerful today than they were in 1985, and engineer are better trained today in that field. The manufacture plants are also better and more efficient.

Right, all you need now is a few hundred billion to get your idea off the ground, as well as enough capital to maintain that pace for some time to come. Because until you do, all I'm seeing from you is

Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]