Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WinUAE exposing how crappy Windows is  (Read 14436 times)

Description:

Offline Arkhan

• Show only replies by Arkhan
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
Re: WinUAE exposing how crappy Windows is
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2010, 05:49:03 PM »
holy christ.  The fliddery is in full force in this thread.

Quote from: stefcep2
Totem is its default media player. Ergo its the most widely used Linux media player out of the box. Ditto lack of mp3 and DVD playback in Ubuntu. Its what most Linux users would confront out of the box.

Most linux users immediately want to watch movies and listen to MP3s?

INTERESTING!

I thought most linux users immediately wanted to do something useful.

Also, piss on Ubuntu.  Redhat/Fedora smokes that brown pile of MacOSXknockoff.  :D

all of this lol@windowsregistry, and referencing basic CS concepts to argue the point, is stupid.   Comparing it to how "streamlined" and "easy to use" an old ass OS is, is also stupid.  Amiga OS is a pain in the ass alot of times.

The only thing wrong with the windows registry is people who think they know what they're doing going in and touching stuff.  If a database of crap like that slows your computer down, then your computer is a piece of shit.  get a new one.

I've had a single core XP box running 24/7 (unless theres a power outtage) for the past like, 8 years.

It boots up just about half as fast as the new windows 7 box I have.   Is this bad?  No!  The Win7 box has a way better processor, more ram, and a faster HDD.  It had better boot faster.

They both still boot perfectly fast and the XP machine has never needed restored.  It's full of programs and installed crap too.  That registry is perty damn big, and it hasn't jacked my performance.

so all of the M$ Haters can go walk into traffic. :)  

Show me the following for another OS in a situation where the programs will all run without having to dick around for hours until it works, and maybe then the whole "OMG M$ SUx0r" thing will have some validity.

There are no great, functional, nice to use alternatives to alot of the stuff I do with Windows.  Trying to find and use "better alternatives" turned out to be more work.   Less bang for my buck!

forget that crap.
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2010, 06:54:23 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;570315

so all of the M$ Haters can go walk into traffic. :)  

Show me the following for another OS in a situation where the programs will all run without having to dick around for hours until it works, and maybe then the whole "OMG M$ SUx0r" thing will have some validity.

There are no great, functional, nice to use alternatives to alot of the stuff I do with Windows.  Trying to find and use "better alternatives" turned out to be more work.   Less bang for my buck!

forget that crap.

I'm not saying there is anything better than Windows.  I said I use it 98% of the time.

Just because it's the best choice doesn't mean it ain't dog shit.

It's the 2010 and we are still dealing with crap design decisions from 1980's.  If there were virtual goats Windows would blow them.
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2010, 06:55:15 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;570315
holy christ.  The fliddery is in full force in this thread.

Most linux users immediately want to watch movies and listen to MP3s?

INTERESTING!

I thought most linux users immediately wanted to do something useful.

Also, piss on Ubuntu.  Redhat/Fedora smokes that brown pile of MacOSXknockoff.  :D

Would this be the same fedonka that utterly failed to even boot past decompressing the kernel on my PC, upon which Ubuntu and debian work just fine?

;)
int p; // A

Offline AmigaHeretic

« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2010, 07:07:28 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;570330
Would this be the same fedonka that utterly failed to even boot past decompressing the kernel on my PC, upon which Ubuntu and debian work just fine?

;)

lol The "fedonky show".
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2010, 07:28:07 PM »
Quote from: AmigaHeretic;570329
It's the 2010 and we are still dealing with crap design decisions from 1980's.  If there were virtual goats Windows would blow them.

Tell me about it, brother.  I work with Solaris a lot, which is based on System V Unix.  I cannot tell you how irritating it is to work with design decisions from the 60s!

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2010, 07:34:27 PM »
what crap decisions from the 80's still exist in windows7 and a modern pc? Not the registry, that didn't come until much later.

Windows is a very fast, capable, stable, and very cool OS. I think 7 is easily worth what MS charges for it. All the arguments about the supposed backwardness of windows are gone.

All you have to argue about now is some piddly little registry thing you don't even understand and have no proof of any effect on your system (none)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 07:57:53 PM by KThunder »
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline Arkhan

« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2010, 07:44:02 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;570330

;)

no that must be a different one.  The one I use installs fine. :) lol

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline AmigaHeretic

« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2010, 08:04:12 PM »
Quote from: KThunder;570340
what crap decisions from the 80's still exist in windows7 and a modern pc? Not the registry, that didn't come until much later.

Windows is a very fast, capable, stable, and very cool OS. I think 7 is easily worth what MS charges for it. All the arguments about the supposed backwardness of windows are gone.

All you have to argue about now is some piddly little registry thing you don't even understand and have no proof of any effect on your system (none)

1. Windows Genuine Advantage
This Win7/Vista feature is designed to combat piracy, but instead it wages war against common sense. If WGA believes that you aren't running a legitimate copy of Windows, it takes a variety of actions against you. In earlier iterations, it could in essence shut off your access to the operating system.

2. The Registry
The Registry is a giant, incomprehensible database of Windows settings, preferences, behaviours, and more. When you use a dialog box to make a change to how Windows works, generally it's making a change to the Registry --- often dialog boxes are mere front ends to the Registry. But to make many changes, you need to edit the Registry, and it's a tough, dangerous thing to do. Other operating systems, including Mac OS X and Linux, don't have Registries, and they work fine. It's time for Microsoft to finally kill the Registry.

3. ActiveX Controls
ActiveX controls are essentially applets delivered via Internet Explorer. They don't, however, run in other browsers. And they have the potential to be malicious. Once upon a time they served some use, but no longer. Given the growth of AJAX and Web 2.0 sites, it's clear that sophisticated applications can be delivered via the browser without ActiveX. Microsoft should finally pull the plug on this technology.

4. User Account Control
This is clearly the unanimous choice for a feature that needs to bite the dust. Sure, it offers security...but at far too high an annoyance cost, with pointless pop-ups and ridiculous intrusions. Microsoft needs to kill UAC and start from scratch.

blah blah blah and on and on....

Offline Arkhan

« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2010, 08:13:53 PM »
Quote from: AmigaHeretic;570346
1. Windows Genuine Advantage
This Win7/Vista feature is designed to combat piracy, but instead it wages war against common sense. If WGA believes that you aren't running a legitimate copy of Windows, it takes a variety of actions against you. In earlier iterations, it could in essence shut off your access to the operating system.

Their help desk is open 24 hours.  If something happens, you call them, its fixed.  The end.   That or you just enter your product key in a box and you're good to go.  You can't blame a company for protecting their software.  That's dense.

2. The Registry
The Registry is a giant, incomprehensible database of Windows settings, preferences, behaviours, and more. When you use a dialog box to make a change to how Windows works, generally it's making a change to the Registry --- often dialog boxes are mere front ends to the Registry. But to make many changes, you need to edit the Registry, and it's a tough, dangerous thing to do. Other operating systems, including Mac OS X and Linux, don't have Registries, and they work fine. It's time for Microsoft to finally kill the Registry.

It's incomprehensible because you aren't really suppose to read it.  It's there.  There is software in place to handle it.  Ignore that it's there.  Stop touching it.  Typing regedit and seeing all that crazy jargon is cool and all, but if you have NFI what you're doing, stay away.

All OS's have something similar to "the registry", and other finnicky little things.  Quit having tunnel vision against the M$ Machine.  OSX has annoying file permissions you have to go repair sometimes, and that periodic daily weekly monthly cleanup nonsense.

Every OS has this shit.  If it didn't, it wouldn't be a very personal computer.  It would forget who you are, what you did, and what you setup every time you reboot the thing.

3. ActiveX Controls
ActiveX controls are essentially applets delivered via Internet Explorer. They don't, however, run in other browsers. And they have the potential to be malicious. Once upon a time they served some use, but no longer. Given the growth of AJAX and Web 2.0 sites, it's clear that sophisticated applications can be delivered via the browser without ActiveX. Microsoft should finally pull the plug on this technology.

Pull the plug and remove all legacy support.  GOOD IDEA.  

Alot of businesses that run on SQLServer and use M$ use IE/ActiveX.  Just because you don't use it when you're dicking off on the internet doesn't mean it's not useful.

4. User Account Control
This is clearly the unanimous choice for a feature that needs to bite the dust. Sure, it offers security...but at far too high an annoyance cost, with pointless pop-ups and ridiculous intrusions. Microsoft needs to kill UAC and start from scratch.

This is for people who don't know what's going on.  You CAN turn it off you know.  It takes all of 10 seconds to deactivate.   You can edit the registry and do Big O notation , but can't find the button to turn off UAC?

euhhhhh

Offline AmigaHeretic

« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2010, 08:19:58 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;570349
Their help desk is open 24 hours.  If something happens, you call them, its fixed.  The end.   That or you just enter your product key in a box and you're good to go.  You can't blame a company for protecting their software.  That's dense.

It's incomprehensible because you aren't really suppose to read it.  It's there.  There is software in place to handle it.  Ignore that it's there.  Stop touching it.  Typing regedit and seeing all that crazy jargon is cool and all, but if you have NFI what you're doing, stay away.

All OS's have something similar to "the registry", and other finnicky little things.  Quit having tunnel vision against the M$ Machine.  OSX has annoying file permissions you have to go repair sometimes, and that periodic daily weekly monthly cleanup nonsense.

Every OS has this shit.  If it didn't, it wouldn't be a very personal computer.  It would forget who you are, what you did, and what you setup every time you reboot the thing.

Pull the plug and remove all legacy support.  GOOD IDEA.  

Alot of businesses that run on SQLServer and use M$ use IE/ActiveX.  Just because you don't use it when you're dicking off on the internet doesn't mean it's not useful.

This is for people who don't know what's going on.  You CAN turn it off you know.  It takes all of 10 seconds to deactivate.   You can edit the registry and do Big O notation , but can't find the button to turn off UAC?

euhhhhh

Sounds like you agree it is all wasted space and should be gotten rid of.

Offline Arkhan

« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2010, 08:30:18 PM »
Quote from: AmigaHeretic;570351
Sounds like you agree it is all wasted space and should be gotten rid of.

no I don't.  Can't you read...?  The only wasted space here is that giant block quote you just did that was pointless to leave there.

UAC is great for flids who just smash keys and press buttons aimlessly and jack up their machine out of cluelessness.

WGA is awesome so Microsoft doesn't get severely reemed as far as profits go...sure some people will pirate still, but at least it only lets the really crafty pirating get through.

ActiveX is perfectly fine.  Sorry it doesn't conform to the LOLLINUXOPENSAUCE thing.  Doesn't dismiss it as useful.

and the registry, it is good stuff.  I understand most of it upon looking at it.  Then I remember it doesn't really matter, and close the registry editor and get on with my life.  It's kept Windows operating for what like two decades.  Must not be a bad idea.  

plus it lets you hack the resolution of FFXI to make it look smooth as hell.

It just sounds like you opened it, got confused at all of the hexadecimal, and decided you hate it.    It's like busting open a microwave, expecting magical faeries and gnomes cooking your food..., and all you see is technical crap.

Offline outlawal2

« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2010, 08:35:05 PM »
Quote from: AmigaHeretic;570346

blah blah blah and on and on....

Yep and that is just about the only thing you have said worth repeating...  
And this STUPID WINDOWS BASHING thread goes on...

Get a life buddy...  You are boring me..  
And wasting my valuable time that I like to use reading things that are USEFUL

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2010, 08:53:22 PM »
Quote from: outlawal2;570358

And since you will doubtless be gone by now, I'd just like to add this insightful comment on the subject...
int p; // A

Offline Arkhan

« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2010, 09:18:40 PM »
ARE YOU KEEPIN UP WITH THE HERPADERP? CAUSE THE HERPADERP IS KEEPING UP WITH YOU!
:laughing:

Offline AmigaHeretic

« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2010, 09:24:31 PM »
Quote from: outlawal2;570358

Wasting your time?  You choose to post in here.  Besides it's Microsofts fault you have to respond.  They make that craptastic OS not me.

I point out flaws and you guys go.  "Yeah, there are flaws but here's how to work around them."  For every flaw there is a 23 step work around.  See, MS is perfect!

I don't think you guys are idiots I'm sure you know what a piece of crap the registry is.  Only a blind person wouldn't know there are 1 billion google hits for "registry is garbage"

Yet, what kind of discussion do I get from your guys? Uhh, well, just pretend it isn't there.  Great solution. :huh::crazy:

Offline Arkhan

« Reply #104 from previous page: July 14, 2010, 09:33:16 PM »
Quote from: AmigaHeretic;570364
Wasting your time?  You choose to post in here.  Besides it's Microsofts fault you have to respond.  They make that craptastic OS not me.

Nothing craptastic about it.  I use it to develop games, play games, make music, and troll teh interwebs, no probrem.

I point out flaws and you guys go.  "Yeah, there are flaws but here's how to work around them."  For every flaw there is a 23 step work around.  See, MS is perfect!

What flaws? You pointed out COMPLAINTS.   Petty, narrow minded complaints no less.

I don't think you guys are idiots I'm sure you know what a piece of crap the registry is.  Only a blind person wouldn't know there are 1 billion google hits for "registry is garbage"

The majority of humanity is stupid.

Yet, what kind of discussion do I get from your guys? Uhh, well, just pretend it isn't there.  Great solution. :huh::crazy:

Pretending it isnt there is perfectly fine.  It wasn't made for extreme user touching.  If you never open/touch the registry in 10 years, you'll be fine.

It's only a problem if you make it one.

To everybody else its "thing doing stuff that I don't need to bother with".  Then they go do their business and walk away. :)