Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: potential PPC Amiga REAL CHEAP  (Read 66147 times)

Description:

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
Re: Time to celebrate!
« Reply #839 from previous page: March 14, 2006, 03:14:06 PM »
For when os4 on my beloved N64?????
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
Potential MIPS Super Computer REAL CHEAP!!!
« Reply #840 on: March 14, 2006, 05:05:42 PM »

_ThEcRoW wrote:

Don't be silly...  The N64 is a MIPS super-computer, not a PPC super-computer like the Gamecube.  Although, because it's a MIPS super-computer, it can obviously run Irix, and even better than any SGI box, because it's from Nintendo.  :crazy:

uh Nintendo kicks ass! Nintendo should buy SGI...  :lol:
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline Louis DiasTopic starter

Re: Potential MIPS Super Computer REAL CHEAP!!!
« Reply #841 on: March 14, 2006, 05:28:35 PM »

adolescent wrote:

_ThEcRoW wrote:

Don't be silly...  The N64 is a MIPS super-computer, not a PPC super-computer like the Gamecube.  Although, because it's a MIPS super-computer, it can obviously run Irix, and even better than any SGI box, because it's from Nintendo.  :crazy:

uh Nintendo kicks ass! Nintendo should buy SGI...  :lol:

Well, if you know your Nintendo history, you will also recall that ArtX, the developers of the Flipper all-in-one GPU in the GC were former SGI employees.  As you know ATI bought ArtX and I don't think even Nintendo can buy ATI.

But there's nothing worth buying of SGI now...all the useful people now work at ATI...  ...and that's how ATI got into the console GPU business...look at them now!

Offline adolescent

« Reply #842 on: March 14, 2006, 06:05:08 PM »

lou_dias wrote:

Well, if you know your Nintendo history, you will also recall that ArtX, the developers of the Flipper all-in-one GPU in the GC were former SGI employees.  As you know ATI bought ArtX and I don't think even Nintendo can buy ATI.

And SGI and Nintendo worked together on Project Reality which ended up producing the N64.  And so on...

But there's nothing worth buying of SGI now...all the useful people now work at ATI...  ...and that's how ATI got into the console GPU business...look at them now!

There's nothing to buy off of Amiga, Inc. yet you suggested it.  

« Reply #843 on: March 14, 2006, 09:38:42 PM »

adolescent wrote:

There's nothing to buy off of Amiga, Inc. yet you suggested it.  

If groups like the Bitmap Brothers are still in the business, then the Amiga name is still known.

It seems Sony and MS are crossing over into PC-land with the 360 and PS3's media capabilities and having a base and brand such as Amiga could lend Nintendo some credibility and headway in that area.  Afterall, the Amiga was the first "multimedia PC".  Convergence is coming.  Nintendo's ingenuity, money, engineering and software is the kick in the pants that could revive this current pitiful existence...

That's my opinion.  I'm sticking with it.

Offline adolescent

« Reply #844 on: March 15, 2006, 02:50:30 AM »
The fact that the Bitmap Brothers, Team 17, Factor5, Digital Illusions, etc. are still around has nothing to do with the current Amiga, Inc.  It has everything to do with them developing good games (then AND now), and peoples willingness to buy them.  

Don't give Amiga, Inc. credit for buying and sitting on a name.  All they have to show for it is a batch of third party PocketPC games.

« Reply #845 on: March 15, 2006, 04:31:29 AM »
Right.

Which is why they need to get bought out and have the BRAND, which is what I was speaking of, re-established as an entertainment mecca.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #846 on: March 16, 2006, 12:24:12 AM »

adolescent wrote:
Expensive?.  $650 when the Playstation was $200 doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.

-That's 325% of the console price, so for a similar idea on 360 you would be ok with over £900? Over the top for a new generation of bedroom coders methinks.

But, of course it was stripped down.  Who would pay for a full dev unit if the "homebrew" version was thousands cheaper and offered the same features.

-Creating a new gen of bedroom coders requires thinking above that of short term cash gains from Dev units.

The developers I worked with in the past all used modified PS to test games.  It was too risky to burn up a dev unit.

-If they took my approach you wouldn't have been so concerned.

Linux on PS2 may well be welcome but the HDD included with the Linux Kit is not compatible with PlayStation 2 games, (reformatting the HDD with the utility disc provided with the retail HDD enables use with PlayStation 2 games but removes the Linux). It didn't use the DVD ROM drive either did it, hmm....I'll give it a 4.

You can use the DVD-ROM, don't know where you heard that.

- If I got the DVD ROM thing wrong....Blame the wiki!

As for the HD, you are probably correct.  

-I am.

But, unless you want to play FFX (or the other 2-3 HD games) that isn't a big deal.  (I've never been asked to reformat mine)

-Fair point. That PS2 HDD didn't get much support did it.

However, an A1200 just required a copy of Blitz Basic to get most people going and you don't need to reformat a HDD to play games. Even the CD32 was more flexible than Linux PS2 for homebrew.

Are you BL~~DY mad?  The PS2 + Linux kit has more memory, a HD, Ethernet, DVD-ROM, VGA output, USB, etc. all which the CD32 is lacking.  The CD32 doesn't even come with a floppy drive or keyboard.  To develop ON the CD32 you need an expensive add-on, or you need to use a seperate computer (hmm... one of the negatives you said about PS homebrew)

-UTTER TRIPE!!!You don't even need a CD32 if the game wbloads on 3.1 ROMS. I have loads of PD on CD that works great on a CD32 and was never written for it.

I agree about the A1200, but that's because it's a computer.  (But, remember this entire thread is based on the delusion that the GCN can become a computer).

-It is a computer. It "computes", does it not? Delusion is a bit harsh maybe.

And, again say that you need to format the HDD to play games.  This is not true.  It is only true if you want to use the HDD with a HDD compatible game.

-That is what I meant.

I would like to see a true homebrew system like the Amiga was.

Agreed.  Like I said the PS3 looks promising if it comes with Linux like has been mentioned.  Otherwise, people can always grab a PC (they probably already have) and start coding.

-All said and done the PS3 is starting to give me some real hope now, 60Gb HDD, linux OS, maybe .....but I don't think anything short of the Amiga "proper computer/game machine" fusion will do to get everday gamers finding the fun in creating homebrew.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

« Reply #847 on: March 16, 2006, 09:19:57 PM »
Vindication:  Zelda to use Revmote when run on Revolution

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=6122

Though I still would believe Nintendo could release a wired version of the Revmote that plugs into a GC port (like the first devkit did) so that GC owners don't feel slighted.  They could even use this on future cross-over GC/Revolution games.  Again, it could be a situation where polygon counts and stuff like that go up when run on Revolution hardware vs. GC hardware.

I think Revolution hardware will be exploited instantly due to it's 100% HARDWARE backwards compatibility with the GC.  Shortly there after, the USB ports and SD card ports will be exposed.  If Nintendo really wanted to save money, they would just include SD card adapters for the GC memory card ports...this means I could order another batch of the SD Gecko's and make even more $$$ as my supply is down to about 10.

Offline adolescent

« Reply #848 on: March 19, 2006, 01:33:23 AM »

lou_dias wrote:
I think Revolution hardware will be exploited instantly due to it's 100% HARDWARE backwards compatibility with the GC.  

I don't think so.  I don't think Nintendo would risk leaving the PSO back door in.  AFAIK, the Action Replay isn't an officially licensed software so there's no reason for Nintendo to make sure it runs either.  Anyway, it's easy enough to add an abstraction layer when running in GCN mode so even if existing hacks worked, they could only access what they could on the GCN.

« Reply #849 on: March 19, 2006, 02:30:44 AM »

adolescent wrote:

I don't think so.  I don't think Nintendo would risk leaving the PSO back door in.  AFAIK, the Action Replay isn't an officially licensed software so there's no reason for Nintendo to make sure it runs either.  Anyway, it's easy enough to add an abstraction layer when running in GCN mode so even if existing hacks worked, they could only access what they could on the GCN.

If Nintendo switched hardware partners like Sony and MS, I would agree with you.  For all intends and purposes, Revolution is to the GC what the A1200 is to the A500.  Revolution will have double the bus speed, double the cpu clock speed, triple the memory and new api's to handle the extra functionality of revolution.  I expect the wireless ethernet interface will be seamless and just act like the GC has the broad band adapter with double the thru-put (54Mb/s vs. 27Mb/s).  Serial ports 1 becomes USB ports 1 & 2.  One thing Revolution will lack is the hi-speed parrallel port...  No GBA player...unless they do something with the USB ports

Again, the system being only 2+ times more powerful than the GC means the sandbox method will not be used.

On a brighter note...  If the GC pumped out 15 million in-game polygons and now Revolution may possible do 30 million, I won't complain graphically.  I believe most of the highest quality PS2 titles did about 10 million and the Xbox around 18 million.  Hopefully the 3MB of texture cache will also atleast double.

Oh, another reason I believe the built-in wi-fi 802.11g will act just like a 2x BBA is that Nintendo is claiming 100% GC backwards compaability...and it wouldn't look good if you couldn't have a Mario Kart:Double Dash LAN-party.  That would just be wrong!  :D

« Reply #850 on: March 23, 2006, 09:56:53 PM »
Running your own code on the GC is now a cheap as $15.49 + shipping:
http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=6409

you can burn your own bootable discs with the information on this page:
http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/Main_Page

Who would have thunk it?
« Reply #851 on: May 11, 2006, 11:20:29 PM »
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/11/wii-first-a-symphony-now-opera/

A console with a web browser...now why didn't I think of...oh wait...!

...and look - you don't need a hard drive...who knew?  Who would have thunk it?

ps,
Yes, the name sucks!

Offline adolescent

Re: Who would have thunk it?
« Reply #852 on: May 12, 2006, 12:02:56 AM »
@diaz

Don't know how Opera on the Wii and DS gets you any closer to AOS4 on the GCN, but ok.  (Or, should I just say Whoopii? :lol:)

Offline boing

• Show only replies by boing
    • http://www.TribeOfHeart.org
Re: potential PPC Amiga REAL CHEAP
« Reply #853 on: May 12, 2006, 01:46:09 AM »
>Under the DMCA, releasing a commercial product that loads by bypassing the Nintendo's bootloader protection would be illegal.)

More evidence of our slide into fascism.

Re: Who would have thunk it?
« Reply #854 on: May 12, 2006, 03:32:55 AM »
It's nice to see you are still dyslexic and fail to spell my name correctly yet again.

What you really are failing to see is a market for such things.  This stopped being about OS4 a long time ago.  After having tried AROS-Max on my PC, I'm all for AROS.

Having Opera run even on a Nintendo DS and Wii just proves you don't need a hard drive and 256MB of RAM minimum to run such things.  Browser cache was nice when 97.5% of all people on the internet were using 14.4k modems but it's un-necesary today with broadband.

I can envision Nintendo offering a bluetooth keyboard that will work with the browser.  Or even as an addon for the Wii-mote.  Now if some clever developer would create media-player software to play media on a DVD-R/RW, USB flash drive, SD card or even a USB radio tuner, I could replace my car stereo with it and be good to go.

PS,
The car is home: http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/072050.html