Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: potential PPC Amiga REAL CHEAP  (Read 66707 times)

Description:

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
Re: Time to celebrate!
« Reply #809 from previous page: February 24, 2006, 09:45:32 PM »

#1: Fiero engines come out the bottom so you need a lift (to lift the car off the drivetrain)
#2: No garage
#3: It's bloody cold out there with no garage
and most importantly
#4: I don't like to get my hands dirty

I have done basic things like replace the clutch slave cylinder and basic distributor/ignition stuff.  I've grinded excess casting off the factory exhaust manifolds.  I know everything I want done and I've picked every part myself, I'd just rather pay someone else to put it together and leave me to the most important part: enjoying the driving.

It's not any warmer in the shop during the winter ( for thoes shops with no heaters ). It never felt right standing under a car on the lift, 3000lbs of hardware slightly rocking back and forth as you do your thing.

Ive seen guys not set the arms right, and hit the switch, crushing the undersides of doors. I knew a guy who had one drop off the lift, and he broke a bunch of ribs(he was most likely drinking). A friend of mine had a car up on a jack and no stands, replacing a starter on buick, and things didnt look quite right. I grabbed a large wood block and just as i slipped it under the frame, the car fell, it ended up resting on the very edge of the block. Dude got out from under that car real fast.

One time i replaced the clutch on a 240sx, flywheel was burred so i sent it into the machine shop to get turned, put it all back together to find out they turned it beyond spec, so i had to take it all down and replace it.

many times ive had transmissions sent off to the tranny guy, just to have them break 2 weeks later and have to pull it down again( and not get paid of course ).

Same thing with engines from the junk yard. Spend 10 hours pulling and replacing an engine just to do it all over again when you find out you got sold bum hardware. Customers call up pissed off their car is in the shop for a week, they tell all their friends yer a crook and you suck.

Every car has a completely different electrical setup. One wire shorts to ground or a sensor is off by an ass hair, and the either doesnt run or runs like crap, takes days to find the problem.

No matter how many times you do it, setting time on an interference engine is scary.

Cheap pontiac cars are engineered by monkeys. Aluminum thermostat housings, steel bolts holding it down. Plastic connectors that rot after 3 years, fuel sending units that corrode, etc.

You dont need a lift to get an engine out of a car where it drops out the bottom. You just need to prop up the front end an awful lot and walk the engine out from under the car on a jack. Think of the lift as a convience/time saver piece of equipment. Theres always a way to get around not having one. If that werent the case, most southern rednecks would be riding bicycles.

Offline Louis DiasTopic starter

« Reply #810 on: February 24, 2006, 10:19:15 PM »

koaftder wrote:

If that werent the case, most southern rednecks would be riding bicycles.

LOL

I don't spend big money on quality parts and the people I pay to do my work have the reputation behind them.

Luckily, I'm getting free labor on the 6-speed install as he just finished developing the kit and needed guinea-pigs with different motors to test fit it.  The transmission can handle the LS3 in the GTP so I don't have to worry about building a motor that will pump out 200rwhp.  The car will weight about 2800 lbs loaded with all options.

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #811 on: February 24, 2006, 10:39:42 PM »

lou_dias wrote:

Anybody can write a check.  :-(  

If you wanted to keep your hands clean then starting with a 15+ year old car isn't a good idea.  But then again, you don't have to worry about that.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

« Reply #812 on: February 25, 2006, 12:01:44 AM »

adolescent wrote:

lou_dias wrote:

Anybody can write a check.  :-(  

If you wanted to keep your hands clean then starting with a 15+ year old car isn't a good idea.  But then again, you don't have to worry about that.

Well, I leave stuff like that to experts.  Just like I leave OS porting to experts...

Fieros have held up rather well over the years.

Also, it's nice NOT to have to do it myself.  I pick my options and get only what I want (which is usually alot).  They have a bad reputation that is no longer deserved.  For instance, did you know the Fiero is the only car every to receive a 5 star safety rating WITHOUT AN AIRBAG?  It's ok that everyone thinks they catch on fire all the time and are death-traps.  That just lets me buy them cheap.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #813 on: February 27, 2006, 12:04:05 AM »

koaftder wrote:
Here in North Carolina, USA until very recently( as in like 6 months ago i beleive) there was a limit to the ammount of alcohol allowed in beer, i beleive it was like 6%, limiting the beer selection. Now we are free to drink what ever we want, so suggest away.

6%,Lame!

That's why so many English people think American Beer tastes like gnats 9!55 I guess.

Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #814 on: February 27, 2006, 05:44:20 AM »
I can't believe this thread is still going on and wasting band width here with all the attacks back and forth and the wandering off topic.  Am I the only one that thinks this thread should have been shut down by the moderator a long time ago?
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

« Reply #815 on: March 01, 2006, 09:47:32 PM »
Woah!  This guy has a boat-load of NGC development equipment including this USB adapter via the memorycard port:

http://www.fazycruck.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38&Itemid=30

Offline adolescent

« Reply #816 on: March 01, 2006, 10:39:53 PM »

lou_dias wrote:
Woah!  This guy has a boat-load of NGC development equipment including this USB adapter via the memorycard port:

I'd rather have the SN-TDEV.  With the added memory, it could run AOS4!  :lol:

« Reply #817 on: March 01, 2006, 10:58:15 PM »
Ah yes, those extra 24Mb must have made all the difference to OS4...luckily Revolution will have atleast an extra 64MB...

Interesting how it sends .elf's to the GC similarly to the first "soft mod" applications that exploit Phantasy Star Online.

ProDG offers Visual Studio integration but still requires a Nintendo SDK.  :(

I think next year I will take a 3D animation course...have you heard?  Revolution Developer's Kits are only $2000! http://revolution.ign.com/articles/690/690730p1.html

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #818 on: March 02, 2006, 03:48:55 PM »

amigadave wrote:
I can't believe this thread is still going on and wasting band width here with all the attacks back and forth and the wandering off topic.  Am I the only one that thinks this thread should have been shut down by the moderator a long time ago?

Geesh man. I thought you Californians were all like laid back and chilled. Relax man, no ones been harmed in the making of this thread.  :afro:
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline adolescent

« Reply #819 on: March 02, 2006, 04:08:58 PM »

lou_dias wrote:
...have you heard?  Revolution Developer's Kits are only $2000! http://revolution.ign.com/articles/690/690730p1.html

Yes, but will they really sell one to you?  It's easy to get a second hand NR Reader but getting something straight from Nintendo is going to be tough.

« Reply #820 on: March 02, 2006, 05:09:28 PM »

adolescent wrote:

Yes, but will they really sell one to you?  It's easy to get a second hand NR Reader but getting something straight from Nintendo is going to be tough.

Well, if you've been following there announcements since E3, they are looking to attract small developers and reduce team sizes and development time.  I think the first 'Brain Training' game on the DS was done by no more than 5 people...

Believe it or not, I can go to E3 if I want, I'm considered an industry professional.  I received the registration information about 3 or 4 months ago but I've misplaced it.  At one time I was thinking of registering myself and another person and then auctioning off my second pass on Ebay...LOL!

Safe to say, when you compare the price of the PSP devkit ($18000) to the Revolution, Nintendo has made it easy to start development.  Let's just say you or I get one, then "contract" Hyperion to port OS4 to Revolution using your/my licensed devkit.  Then it would be just a matter of finding a publisher (I hear Atari's deserate these days) to negociate royalties and the like.  Now would be the right time to do this.  Interestly enough, Nintendo is porting Opera to the Nintendo DS...I wonder is it will do the same for Revolution.  This strengthens the possibility of allowing a 3rd party 'OS' on the platform for simple things like email and web-browsing as they may also offer a similar product.  The only drawback is if Nintendo would want to make money on OS4 software that runs on Revoltion, games for instance...

Offline koaftder

« Reply #821 on: March 02, 2006, 06:22:41 PM »
But what i really want to know is how does one smoke cheese? I dont mean like "smoked cheese", i mean like actually "smoking cheese". I'm guessing it would be quite hard on the lungs.

Offline koaftder

« Reply #822 on: March 03, 2006, 12:16:12 AM »
Whats that smell... Ahh yes, smoldering plastic. Somebody in the vicinity has been smoking legos.

Offline adolescent

« Reply #823 on: March 03, 2006, 12:34:16 AM »
@lou

Good luck then.  I still don't think they'll sell devkits to people off the street (they never have, even buying from SNSystems you need to be registered developer).  Being a licensed developer working with a small dev team is a small thing compared to being a bedroom coder.  

Also remember that Nintendo has to approve what gets published.  You'd have to convince Atari AND Nintendo and I don't think that's going to happen either.  But, maybe in a few years a modchip for the Rev will be released and we'll have this thread repeat itself. :crazy:

Re: E3.  It's not as exciting as it used to be.  Too many non-industry types getting in on faked credentials.  I didn't even bother to go last year because of the crowds and lack of anything interesting to look at/play.  (I had been every year except the first one and the one that was in Atlanta) .  This year, with the lack of booth babes might be even worse, but at least the new systems will be displayed.  

Offline koaftder

« Reply #824 on: March 03, 2006, 12:46:14 AM »

adolescent wrote:
@lou

Good luck then.  I still don't think they'll sell devkits to people off the street (they never have, even buying from SNSystems you need to be registered developer).  Being a licensed developer working with a small dev team is a small thing compared to being a bedroom coder.  

Also remember that Nintendo has to approve what gets published.  You'd have to convince Atari AND Nintendo and I don't think that's going to happen either.  But, maybe in a few years a modchip for the Rev will be released and we'll have this thread repeat itself. :crazy:

Re: E3.  It's not as exciting as it used to be.  Too many non-industry types getting in on faked credentials.  I didn't even bother to go last year because of the crowds and lack of anything interesting to look at/play.  (I had been every year except the first one and the one that was in Atlanta) .  This year, with the lack of booth babes might be even worse, but at least the new systems will be displayed.  

But dude, you dont understand Nintendo is like, god and jesus and all thoes other people. Nintendo will spark a new revolution in the world. They are going to give away dev kits to 13 year olds for free! LOL!

LOL! Nintendo will approve any game, no matter how perverted or violent it may be. Nintendo is here to liberate us all. LOL! LOL! LOL! This thread will probably be here when the mod chips are avaiable for this new system. LOL!

LOL!

LOL! I'm actually considered a professional! LOL! I might even buy one for me and one for a friend and then a third and ebay it. LOL!