Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Very hard to understand  (Read 4552 times)

Description:

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
Re: Very hard to understand
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 08:51:23 PM »
I used to love YAM but it doesnt do IMAP so I had to scrap it. I tried SimpleMail recently but found it unsatisfactory.

I think I should port Pine.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Jeff

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Jeff
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 09:33:32 PM »
No Comment
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:43:00 AM by Jeff »

Offline apsturkTopic starter

• Show only replies by apsturk
    • http://amigaonthelake.com
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 10:39:48 PM »
@kolla
I agree with all you said and it seems you are one of just a few that read my post. Thanks
guys YAM = no IMAP so it does not matter how good you say it is. I dont have a pop account!! so it is NOT an option.

@eliyahu
well illegal MUI stuff pops up all the time. Sometimes the inbox in nowhere to be found for a day or two. Locks up the OS 4 or 5 times a day. Look I could go on and on. It is a kindergarten 8 year still in beta, 101 baby email client  and a poor attempt of a program, bug ridden mess. on a scale of 1 to 10 it is a 0 at the very, very VERY!  best. I am very understanding that things are not so great with apps for AmigaOS4 and that is ok as long people are working to fix this. Trevor said at amiwest 2014 content, content and more content..

Smiplemail is at best ok if you are totaly unaware of the rest of the computer world and you judge Amiga programs on a much lower scale with low expectations to start with. Kind of like your friends laughing at your X1000 and the simple stuff it just cant do.  (something you said at amiwest) I am not trying to be offensive I just want good stuff as there is no reason but money that we have lots of crap and very fee gems

Again if there is team out there willing to do the work I will be first in line to pay$$$$. If we all do that someone WILL get it done.

1 email client that many, many people other than me have big problems with too. Lets stop  ourselves with pretending
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 11:38:20 PM by apsturk »
AmigaOnTheLake.com
AmigaOne X1000 | OS4.1FE | Radeon R9 280X | 480Gb SSD | 4Gb | 27 ViewSonic VP2770|
Amiga 500 | CPU 68010| Megachip 2 meg | Kickstart 3.1 | GVP 500HD+8 ROM 4.15 8 meg fast ram | ECS Indevision | SCSI2SD 4gig | BetterWB 4.0 | CD - Zip drives and Plipbox.
Amiga 1200 | Indivision 1200 AGA MK2cr | CF 4gig | ACA 1233 55.55mhz | OS3.9 | FastATA 1200 MK-V | Rapid Road
2 MorphOS Paid for copies. Running on Mac Mini 1.5Ghz

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 10:43:26 PM »
Quote from: kolla;786003
You can say that it is the general problem with Amigoid systems, especially OS4 and MorphOS - all focus is on "bells and whistles", all about "bling". They are totally lacking when it comes to fundamental technologies. Throwing more bitmaps and more FPS on it doesn't make the OSes more appealing to developers, modern core technologies are totally absent, and this has to be dealt with sooner rather than later. But, whatever, if gaining 2% higher transfer speeds on FTP over a sloppy half duplex 10Mbit connection is what ticks people off, by all means!
Again, right on bud!!
AmigaOnTheLake.com
AmigaOne X1000 | OS4.1FE | Radeon R9 280X | 480Gb SSD | 4Gb | 27 ViewSonic VP2770|
Amiga 500 | CPU 68010| Megachip 2 meg | Kickstart 3.1 | GVP 500HD+8 ROM 4.15 8 meg fast ram | ECS Indevision | SCSI2SD 4gig | BetterWB 4.0 | CD - Zip drives and Plipbox.
Amiga 1200 | Indivision 1200 AGA MK2cr | CF 4gig | ACA 1233 55.55mhz | OS3.9 | FastATA 1200 MK-V | Rapid Road

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 11:25:03 PM »
Quote from: apsturk;786018
@kolla
I agree with all you said and it seems you are one of just a few that read my post. Thanks
guys YAM = no IMAP so it does not matter how good you say it is. I dont have a pop account!! so it is NOT an option.

@eliyahu
well illegal MUI stuff pops up all the time. Sometimes the inbox in nowhere to be found for a day or two. Locks up the OS 4 or 5 times a day. Look I could go on and on. It is a kindergarten 8 year still in beta, 101 baby email client  and a poor attempt of a program, bug ridden mess. on a scale of 1 to 10 it is a 0 at the very, very VERY!  best. I am very understanding that things are not so great with apps for AmigaOS4 and that is ok as long people are working to fix this. Trevor said at amiwest 2014 content, content and more content..

Smiplemail is at best %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!8220;ok%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!8221; if you are totaly unaware of the rest of the computer world and you judge Amiga programs on a much lower scale with low expectations to start with. Kind of like your friends laughing at your X1000 and the simple stuff it just cant do.  (something you said at amiwest) I am not trying to be offensive I just want good stuff as there is no reason but money that we have lots of crap and very fee gems

Again if there is team out there willing to do the work I will be first in line to pay$$$$. If we all do that someone WILL get it done.

1 email client that many, many people other than me have big problems with too. Lets stop  ourselves with pretending

i do not use the PPC OS4 version of Simplemail on X1000 so I cannot say anything about that but the 68k version works perfectly and I have never seen any problems. And I do not know what you expect now from a email client, it is certainly not outlook with appointments and so on but I can send and receive emails and I have contacts. If you want to play in the same league as Windows or MacOS or Linux then you are completely wrong. Then use Windows, Linux or MacOS.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 11:28:06 PM »
Quote from: apsturk;786018
i'm sorry you've had that experience. simplemail works very well for me, and does not 'lock up' my system. i keep it running constantly, actually. perhaps if you had specific issues, you could bring them up with sebastian? i'm sure he'd appreciate bug reports to make it better.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 11:46:06 PM »
@Eliyahu
bug reports to make it better.

-- eliyahu

Did you see the update in December 2014. That is what took 1 year?. I sent 2 emails. 1 in 2013 and 1 in 2014 and I never got a reply from 2013 or 2014. If you are happy with it great. I am not and I dont like or expect a free program and the developer to act live a  pro software company, They have lives and do it in there spare time.
AmigaOnTheLake.com

Offline kolla

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 12:31:19 AM »
Quote from: itix;786011
I used to love YAM but it doesnt do IMAP so I had to scrap it. I tried SimpleMail recently but found it unsatisfactory.

I think I should port Pine.

Pine was ported decades ago. Pine is dead, you should port Alpine. Oh wait, Alpine too is kinda dead, try re-Alpine. Pay attention, lol.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 01:21:41 AM »
@ apsturk

It's been a couple of years since I used SimpleMail but I found it quite stable and usable at the time. If you're getting MUI related errors, I wonder if some of your custom classes (MCC) are outdated/buggy? Grab the latest versions of BetterString, NList, TextEditor, PopPlaceholder, and TheBar from Aminet (all were updated in 2014). Run AmiUpdate as well to make sure you've got the latest version of MUI.

What many of us here are trying to say is that the problematic behavior you're experiencing with SimpleMail is unusual. If we can solve that for you, I think you'll find it to be a satisfactory program.

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 12:56:06 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;786028
@ apsturk

It's been a couple of years since I used SimpleMail but I found it quite stable and usable at the time. If you're getting MUI related errors, I wonder if some of your custom classes (MCC) are outdated/buggy? Grab the latest versions of BetterString, NList, TextEditor, PopPlaceholder, and TheBar from Aminet (all were updated in 2014). Run AmiUpdate as well to make sure you've got the latest version of MUI.

What many of us here are trying to say is that the problematic behavior you're experiencing with SimpleMail is unusual. If we can solve that for you, I think you'll find it to be a satisfactory program.
PopPlaceholder was updated in 2014?  Everything on my system is new how would I get old MCC. Does SimpleMail instal that. From reading it does not look like it does.
AmigaOnTheLake.com

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 01:14:11 PM »
@ apsturk

i dont have an impression that simplemail is very actively maintained, i guess the author just releases annual bug fixes. you might have better luck with yam if you have a feature request.
what concerns stability, as you probably know the re-implamantation of mui4 features from morphos is rather recent, and mostly due to odyssey port demands, so it may be relatively unstable, at least this is what has been reported from amiga users in comparison to the genuine 3.8 version. i have not tested it myself, but if you experience reproducible bugs it would certainly be worth to report them.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 01:42:06 PM »
@apsturk

I don't use SimpleMail myself because I do my email on a PC (via RDesktop on my X1000, in fact) - I need proper HTML email, (which is something no Amigaoid system offers) and have inboxes of several thousand mails. However, last time I did use it it a few years ago it was quite stable, and nowhere near as bad as you're saying. It may have suddenly got much worse, but it seems unlikely.

I would say, though, that going onto a forum and complaining loudly about how utterly rubbish someone's software is, and how it's a "zero out of ten at the very, very best" isn't going to make him do anything about it.

Work with the developer. Tell him what happens. Tell him the bits you like, and the bits you don't like. If it crashes, tell him what you did to make it crash. Tell him how to reproduce the fault. If you just write an email and say "your program is rubbish and I hate it" he'll just immediately delete the email, whether your grievances are justified or not. Be polite, and help him to help you - then everyone benefits, especially you.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 02:02:56 PM »
Second languages can be hard to understand; perhaps if we typed more slowly...

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 02:34:31 PM »
With all due respect, probably would have served you better to do more research into what the system was capable of in regards to current software offerings on it before you plunked down $3000 for it.  Worse comes to worse, I suppose you've got a very capable Linux box, albeit likely the most expensive one on the market for what power it packs.  I'e got a $200 HP laptop (HP Stream) that I run Linux on and it'll run circles around even the most beefy OS4/Linux PPC machines.

I love my OS4 machine, but if I'd bought it believing that it would be capable of doing everything my various windows boxes can do, I'm afraid I'd have to eventually accept the idea that I should have researched the software offerings a bit better before shelling out the cash on it  I love it for what it is, but anyone able to use an OS4 machine as a daily driver PC has far more simple requirements of a modern computer than I and most people do.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 06:37:49 PM »
Quote from: danwood;785992
Hmmn I run Simplemail on MorphOS and my Amiga 4000 all the time and don't have these problems.  Likely it's just a settings issue?

Simplemail supports IMAP and HTML emails, I find it better than YAM.

+1, I use SimpleMail on my X1000 daily with no issues
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

« Reply #29 from previous page: March 09, 2015, 09:05:58 PM »
I have a number of Amiga computers (about 14) and a Mac Mini with Morphos 3.7 with Similemail however it has the 1.1 fork and It works ok at the very best. Just to be clear the fact that a program works does NOT mean that it is a good program or even an adequate one.

When I bought a X1000 I did not expect it would do all the things another computer would do (I already own all them). I was 100 percent sure that it would NOT. That is not my point. There have been updates to MUI and I am sure there are other factors as well.. My point is there only 1 email client that does IMAP? All the reading and email I am getting show that half the people say it works and the other half say that have lots of problems with it, just like I do.

My overall point is that it is hard to understand (like my title says) why I can get dozens and dozens of 2d scroll games and email is almost non existent. That to me is hard to understand.

My point also is lets start with the basic stuff people do with computers first... like email etc. I am willing to pay for this and would like to. The product needs to be made first and then sold and supported by people that want a good product for a fair price. With email I think it's safe to say AROS Morphos and AmigaOS all have that need in a big way. That is a good number of people with a need. I would like to see it filled and I would encourage developers to work on things like email and some of the other most basic things that are needed to push things forward. I for one will do my part and support it with my money.

So yes I have done some complaining and I think it is well warranted. I also hope that the complaining will encourage developers to work on products that appeal to most if not every amiga user. Last is my pledge to spend money for such products.

I dont think that is so unreasonable do you. Is this not what we all would like to see happen
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 09:09:30 PM by apsturk »
AmigaOnTheLake.com