Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Very hard to understand  (Read 4887 times)

Description:

Offline OlafS3

Re: Very hard to understand
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2015, 02:04:33 PM »
Quote from: apsturk;786072
I have a number of Amiga computers (about 14) and a Mac Mini with Morphos 3.7 with Similemail however it has the 1.1 fork and It works ok at the very best. Just to be clear the fact that a program works does NOT mean that it is a good program or even an adequate one.

When I bought a X1000 I did not expect it would do all the things another computer would do (I already own all them). I was 100 percent sure that it would NOT. That is not my point. There have been updates to MUI and I am sure there are other factors as well.. My point is there only 1 email client that does IMAP? All the reading and email I am getting show that half the people say it works and the other half say that have lots of problems with it, just like I do.

My overall point is that it is hard to understand (like my title says) why I can get dozens and dozens of 2d scroll games and email is almost non existent. That to me is hard to understand.

My point also is lets start with the basic stuff people do with computers first... like email etc. I am willing to pay for this and would like to. The product needs to be made first and then sold and supported by people that want a good product for a fair price. With email I think it's safe to say AROS Morphos and AmigaOS all have that need in a big way. That is a good number of people with a need. I would like to see it filled and I would encourage developers to work on things like email and some of the other most basic things that are needed to push things forward. I for one will do my part and support it with my money.

So yes I have done some complaining and I think it is well warranted. I also hope that the complaining will encourage developers to work on products that appeal to most if not every amiga user. Last is my pledge to spend money for such products.

I dont think that is so unreasonable do you. Is this not what we all would like to see happen

Even if I assume that you (and some others) would be willing to spend for a modern email-client (whatever this is because I myself use something basic for that) and you would find someone willing and able to do it (and have the needed time) how much would it be? Perhaps you could setup a bounty with the requirement to update Simplemail or YAM and then wait how much will be donated and if there is any real interest for it. Simplemail works very good for me, why should I be for a new client? This way many others will think too. And regarding your problems from my experience in supporting PCs it more sounds like OS/hardware related than a software problem. Everything else works perfectly? Is internet connection running stable?

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2015, 08:42:23 PM »
Shame on the OP for believing a $3k computer sold today would/should perform the basics in 2015!   :lol:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 08:46:43 PM by save2600 »

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2015, 09:25:03 PM »
Hmm...

Looks like my "ignore list" is about to have a growth spurt.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 02:06:14 AM by danbeaver »

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2015, 10:21:59 PM »
Quote from: danbeaver;786144
Hmm...

Looks like my "ignore list" is about to have a growrh spurt.

Really? This thread seems pretty tame compared to the usual nonsensical arguments we get ourselves into :)

Offline Lionheart

• Show only replies by Lionheart
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2015, 10:58:45 PM »
Quote from: apsturk;785986
I have also donated over $300 usd in total for different projects and will spend over $1000 more during 2015. I will also spend money on just about everything on amistore that comes out. I am a big supporter of A-Eon and have over $5000 in my X1000 project and will also buy a X5000 when it comes out.

Lets get a modern full blown top shelf email client and go from there.

PS this is a problem for Morph and AROS as well. Does anyone want to make money out there? my checkbook is ready to pay you!!

You'd be better off throwing your money at MorphOS or AROS.  AmigaOS is a lost cause.  But if you want to throw your money away supporting a bankrupt OS that runs on outdated and expensive hardware, go for it.  Just don't expect a lot of software support for a system few people can afford and that no one outside the Amiga community would really want.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2015, 11:20:38 PM »
Ooh, once more unto the breach

of my ignore list.

Offline Lionheart

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2015, 11:44:33 PM »
Quote from: danbeaver;786156
Ooh, once more unto the breach

of my ignore list.

Keep your blinders on if you want.  If the $3000 apsturk already spent on the X1000 went towards software development rather than an overpriced computer with 10+ year old technology, he might have already had the e-mail program he wanted.  And we need more users, not more under-performing overpriced hardware.  If you actually think a lot of developers are looking to write software for a system few people are using, than you're delusional.

Offline apsturkTopic starter

• Show only replies by apsturk
    • http://amigaonthelake.com
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2015, 12:56:59 AM »
Quote from: Lionheart;786157
Keep your blinders on if you want.  If the $3000 apsturk already spent on the X1000 went towards software development rather than an overpriced computer with 10+ year old technology, he might have already had the e-mail program he wanted.  And we need more users, not more under-performing overpriced hardware.  If you actually think a lot of developers are looking to write software for a system few people are using, than you're delusional.
Come on pal. I am happy with my X1000 and I know what I was getting into and have no regrets. This all starts with people like me and others spending money and maybe just maybe if there is enough of us things will grow. After 2 years Acube is selling another batch of the sam460 and there was a big demand. Others like me are still buying the X1000 and more will buy the X5000 and X3500. That = more users and this is good thing. With the new developer kit and debugging software and LibreOffice and all the other software and hardware stuff A-Eon is working on I think things are looking better that they have in a long time. That is why I jumped in with both feet!!
AmigaOnTheLake.com
AmigaOne X1000 | OS4.1FE | Radeon R9 280X | 480Gb SSD | 4Gb | 27 ViewSonic VP2770|
Amiga 500 | CPU 68010| Megachip 2 meg | Kickstart 3.1 | GVP 500HD+8 ROM 4.15 8 meg fast ram | ECS Indevision | SCSI2SD 4gig | BetterWB 4.0 | CD - Zip drives and Plipbox.
Amiga 1200 | Indivision 1200 AGA MK2cr | CF 4gig | ACA 1233 55.55mhz | OS3.9 | FastATA 1200 MK-V | Rapid Road
2 MorphOS Paid for copies. Running on Mac Mini 1.5Ghz

Offline Lionheart

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2015, 01:30:39 AM »
Quote from: apsturk;786158
Come on pal. I am happy with my X1000 and I know what I was getting into and have no regrets. This all starts with people like me and others spending money and maybe just maybe if there is enough of us things will grow. After 2 years Acube is selling another batch of the sam460 and there was a big demand. Others like me are still buying the X1000 and more will buy the X5000 and X3500. That = more users and this is good thing. With the new developer kit and debugging software and LibreOffice and all the other software and hardware stuff A-Eon is working on I think things are looking better that they have in a long time. That is why I jumped in with both feet!!

At best, all you'll do is delay the inevitable.   Buying all the outdated and expensive stuff A-Eon and ACube dish out isn't going to save them.  They're catering to a group of people who will already buy anything they stick the name Amiga to.   That doesn't expand the userbase, it just gives the existing base something to collect.  What about the person who has never heard of Amiga?  Do you really think they're impressed by an expensive computer with 10+ year old technology and nothing going for it except a name?  No, they look at us like we're crazy for supporting a system running a processor with a dead end road map, a high-end price tag, and an operating system that isn't worth the price you pay to run it.

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2015, 01:43:36 AM »
Quote from: apsturk;786158

Was that before or after the Hyperion bankrupsy announcement? You also forgot to mention Timberwolf, based on Firefox v4, which should be out soon after Firefox v40. Sorry, I couldn't resist. I wouldn't go much by announcements or dates in the perpetual Amiga time warp world of "just two more weeks" :D.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2015, 01:43:49 AM »
@ Lionheart

Thing is, though, the email client situation is exactly the same on MorphOS and AROS...

Offline Lionheart

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2015, 01:51:05 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;786162
@ Lionheart

Thing is, though, the email client situation is exactly the same on MorphOS and AROS...

Thing is, I already know that.  However, if the community would gather under fewer umbrellas, it could change that.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2015, 02:10:11 AM »
Quote from: Lionheart;786163
Thing is, I already know that.  However, if the community would gather under fewer umbrellas, it could change that.

Providing it's not the OS4 umbrella as you clearly don't like that one. Well, nothing like a nice bit of exclusivity to bring us all together right.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2015, 02:12:42 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;786162
@ Lionheart

since you bring aros and morphos into the subject, yes you are right yam is certainly missing imap support on all these platforms. if this is the purpose of this thread and everything else is fine, then as i said it can perhaps be solved contacting the developers rather than complaining about it on forums. but if its also about open (libre) office and such, then note, that the public is neither on aros nor on morphos  being constantly served with this kind of hollow announcements.

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2015, 02:46:03 AM »
Quote from: OlafS3;786121
Good idea... why do YOU not write a new professional email-client for a couple of dollars (or zero) for him? You will make him happy.

Because I'm not an Amiga hobbyist, duh.

And your answer is a bounty?! Really?! If that ain't a wait for a train that don't come.
The reason it would be nigh on impossible to raise $10,000 for something like a solid up-to-date email client would be because y'all are happy with your YAMs and your SimpleMails. Y'all have become too content with the lack of quantity and quality of software available on the hobby platform.
apsturk points this out and all y'all can do is say, "try YAM" or "SimpleMail works fine for me", i.e. "Try something older and less functional", or "The problem must be with you". That my friends is what a content group sounds like.

You might have also tried:
"Just use webmail"
"No one uses a desktop for email anymore, get a smartphone"
"Reinstall everything and try again"
"Maybe the problem is with your IMAP provider"

And as far as sales of the yet to be released X5000 and X3500, I'm willing to bet the porting of a Linux email client that 75% of individuals that buy those are X1000 owners. Not that they'll actually release sales and market figures.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 07:11:36 AM by agami »
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline Lionheart

« Reply #59 from previous page: March 11, 2015, 02:53:32 AM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;786164
Providing it's not the OS4 umbrella as you clearly don't like that one. Well, nothing like a nice bit of exclusivity to bring us all together right.

OS4 has no future.  It's tied to expensive hardware, which it can barely support.  It makes no sense to spend $3000 just to run Hyperion's OS4 as it's not that impressive to begin with.   Once again, try to convince someone outside the Amiga cult-like mentality to buy a $3000 computer with 10+ year old technology to run an operating system like OS4 when they can buy a more useful and more powerful computer running Windows or MacOS for less than half that price.