Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Very hard to understand  (Read 4888 times)

Description:

Offline apsturkTopic starter

• Show only replies by apsturk
    • http://amigaonthelake.com
Re: Very hard to understand
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 09:05:58 PM »
I have a number of Amiga computers (about 14) and a Mac Mini with Morphos 3.7 with Similemail however it has the 1.1 fork and It works ok at the very best. Just to be clear the fact that a program works does NOT mean that it is a good program or even an adequate one.

When I bought a X1000 I did not expect it would do all the things another computer would do (I already own all them). I was 100 percent sure that it would NOT. That is not my point. There have been updates to MUI and I am sure there are other factors as well.. My point is there only 1 email client that does IMAP? All the reading and email I am getting show that half the people say it works and the other half say that have lots of problems with it, just like I do.

My overall point is that it is hard to understand (like my title says) why I can get dozens and dozens of 2d scroll games and email is almost non existent. That to me is hard to understand.

My point also is lets start with the basic stuff people do with computers first... like email etc. I am willing to pay for this and would like to. The product needs to be made first and then sold and supported by people that want a good product for a fair price. With email I think it's safe to say AROS Morphos and AmigaOS all have that need in a big way. That is a good number of people with a need. I would like to see it filled and I would encourage developers to work on things like email and some of the other most basic things that are needed to push things forward. I for one will do my part and support it with my money.

So yes I have done some complaining and I think it is well warranted. I also hope that the complaining will encourage developers to work on products that appeal to most if not every amiga user. Last is my pledge to spend money for such products.

I dont think that is so unreasonable do you. Is this not what we all would like to see happen
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 09:09:30 PM by apsturk »
AmigaOnTheLake.com
AmigaOne X1000 | OS4.1FE | Radeon R9 280X | 480Gb SSD | 4Gb | 27 ViewSonic VP2770|
Amiga 500 | CPU 68010| Megachip 2 meg | Kickstart 3.1 | GVP 500HD+8 ROM 4.15 8 meg fast ram | ECS Indevision | SCSI2SD 4gig | BetterWB 4.0 | CD - Zip drives and Plipbox.
Amiga 1200 | Indivision 1200 AGA MK2cr | CF 4gig | ACA 1233 55.55mhz | OS3.9 | FastATA 1200 MK-V | Rapid Road
2 MorphOS Paid for copies. Running on Mac Mini 1.5Ghz

Offline danbeaver

Not so Very hard to understand
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2015, 09:16:23 PM »
"I also hope that the complaining will encourage developers to work on products"

IMHO, I am pretty sure people respond to things that make them feel better about their lives -- sex, money, compliments, alcohol -- rather than complaints.

Trevor's AmiWest speech was about "content" for the Amiga and his company's support for software may lead to a revamp of an email program; try suggesting that in a positive way :)

Offline Hans_

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2015, 09:47:36 PM »
Quote from: apsturk;786072
My overall point is that it is hard to understand (like my title says) why I can get dozens and dozens of 2d scroll games and email is almost non existent. That to me is hard to understand.

Most likely because it's a lot easier to port/create 2D scroller games than it is to create a good email client.

It looks like the development of SimpleMail has become rather fragmented. The main repository on sourceforge has seen little activity if any for over a year. Then there's the MOS fork, which I'm pleased to see has been discontinued and will be merged back into the main project. Finally, there's a more active copy here:
https://github.com/sba1/simplemail/

Hopefully they'll clean this up, and make it clear which repository should be used.

Given that the github repo appears to be the most active one now, I suggest that you submit bug reports there. You will have to be specific though; "it doesn't work" isn't good enough.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Re: Not so Very hard to understand
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2015, 09:58:55 PM »
Quote from: danbeaver;786073
"I also hope that the complaining will encourage developers to work on products"

IMHO, I am pretty sure people respond to things that make them feel better about their lives -- sex, money, compliments, alcohol -- rather than complaints.

Trevor's AmiWest speech was about "content" for the Amiga and his company's support for software may lead to a revamp of an email program; try suggesting that in a positive way :)
I get you point however identifying a problem and pledging money to support solutions (as many times as I have through out this thread) is the position I am in and is all I can do. Your focusing on but one thing and ignoring the other as if I did not address that too I think is missing the point. I went out of my way to make sure I shared that I am and will be continuing to spend money in support of Amiga software and hardware. This is a forum for lots of things and expressing disappointment and stating an opinion that contains my willingness to do what I can to change it is what its all about.

I will however keep your post in mind and try to be a little less sour sounding. Thanks
AmigaOnTheLake.com
AmigaOne X1000 | OS4.1FE | Radeon R9 280X | 480Gb SSD | 4Gb | 27 ViewSonic VP2770|
Amiga 500 | CPU 68010| Megachip 2 meg | Kickstart 3.1 | GVP 500HD+8 ROM 4.15 8 meg fast ram | ECS Indevision | SCSI2SD 4gig | BetterWB 4.0 | CD - Zip drives and Plipbox.
Amiga 1200 | Indivision 1200 AGA MK2cr | CF 4gig | ACA 1233 55.55mhz | OS3.9 | FastATA 1200 MK-V | Rapid Road

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2015, 10:08:47 PM »
Quote from: apsturk;785986

PS this is a problem for Morph and AROS as well.

It's called MorphOS not Morph.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2015, 10:30:10 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;786078
It's called MorphOS not Morph.

Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2015, 11:03:54 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;786079
lol thats great. Just what I was thinking.
AmigaOnTheLake.com

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2015, 11:31:41 PM »
In hindsight I just realized that user is located in Germany.  Probably not the most politically correct meme I could've posted.  Still, it was a wholly unnecessary correction.  Hope they have a good sense of humor!  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline paul1981

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2015, 11:59:28 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;786085
In hindsight I just realized that user is located in Germany.  Probably not the most politically correct meme I could've posted.  Still, it was a wholly unnecessary correction.  Hope they have a good sense of humor!  ;)

To hell with political correctness...there's nothing wrong with blonde hair & blue eyes.

Offline kolla

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2015, 12:30:05 AM »
What will people do the day they no longer can have their amigoid systems online, because the IP stack is too old to support the current Internet? There are no people in the community with skills and know-how to update any of the IP stacks.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2015, 12:33:05 AM »
To hell with political correctness...there's nothing wrong with blonde hair & blue eyes.

hell, no, which i both have. but there is a lot of wrong which have been done in the name of it..

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2015, 01:31:19 AM »
Quote from: apsturk;786058
PopPlaceholder was updated in 2014?  Everything on my system is new how would I get old MCC. Does SimpleMail instal that. From reading it does not look like it does.

Sorry, my mistake, PopPlaceholder is older. But even though you may have a brand new shiny install of OS4, the latest versions of things might not be a part of OS4. The Contributions drawer, for instance, includes some very old software. Whoever compiled the OS4 disc image may have missed the latest versions of the MCCs. Check the ones on your system (MUI:Libs/mui) against the versions of Aminet. Update if necessary.

MUI itself was updated less than a month ago. Do you have that version installed?

Try the 68K version of SimpleMail as well. It will run under OS4. Maybe it will work better for you.

IMAP has been on the to-do list for YAM for several years. I know it's not an option for you now, but it could be eventually.

I know you're frustrated that something as "basic" as email is proving difficult. In most markets, what you say would be perfectly logical: there's a market need for an email client, someone creates a product, people buy that product, everyone is happy. But this is not a normal market. No one can make a full-time living writing Amiga software. Things must be done in people's spare time, so things move very slowly. We're trying to help you find a solution, but if the only info you can give us is "It's broken, I'll pay money for a working program" there's not much we can do.

Please explain the problem(s) you are having with SimpleMail in great detail. Tell us the exact wording of any error messages you receive. Screenshots would be a big help.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2015, 03:48:13 AM »
Quote from: kolla;786088
What will people do the day they no longer can have their amigoid systems online, because the IP stack is too old to support the current Internet? There are no people in the community with skills and know-how to update any of the IP stacks.

I was listening to the news just the other day and they were talking about an update to the HTTP standard being released.  Haven't had time to google exactly what they meant, but it made me worry about this exact same thing!  :confused:

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2015, 04:23:09 AM »
The A1X1k is a hobbyist system for the AmigaOS 4.x hobby OS. If you find the hobby apps currently available for the hobby system are leaving you wanting, then hobby write the app you want, or wait until some hobby Amigan decides to hobby write one.

Alternatively ,you can post your grievances on a forum like this and get a whole bunch of people ignore what you wrote and recommend the thing you can't use, or tell you how they're not having the hobby problem you are having.
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2015, 01:52:11 PM »
Quote from: agami;786099
The A1X1k is a hobbyist system for the AmigaOS 4.x hobby OS. If you find the hobby apps currently available for the hobby system are leaving you wanting, then hobby write the app you want, or wait until some hobby Amigan decides to hobby write one.

Alternatively ,you can post your grievances on a forum like this and get a whole bunch of people ignore what you wrote and recommend the thing you can't use, or tell you how they're not having the hobby problem you are having.

Good idea... why do YOU not write a new professional email-client for a couple of dollars (or zero) for him? You will make him happy.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #44 from previous page: March 10, 2015, 02:04:33 PM »
Quote from: apsturk;786072
I have a number of Amiga computers (about 14) and a Mac Mini with Morphos 3.7 with Similemail however it has the 1.1 fork and It works ok at the very best. Just to be clear the fact that a program works does NOT mean that it is a good program or even an adequate one.

When I bought a X1000 I did not expect it would do all the things another computer would do (I already own all them). I was 100 percent sure that it would NOT. That is not my point. There have been updates to MUI and I am sure there are other factors as well.. My point is there only 1 email client that does IMAP? All the reading and email I am getting show that half the people say it works and the other half say that have lots of problems with it, just like I do.

My point also is lets start with the basic stuff people do with computers first... like email etc. I am willing to pay for this and would like to. The product needs to be made first and then sold and supported by people that want a good product for a fair price. With email I think it's safe to say AROS Morphos and AmigaOS all have that need in a big way. That is a good number of people with a need. I would like to see it filled and I would encourage developers to work on things like email and some of the other most basic things that are needed to push things forward. I for one will do my part and support it with my money.

So yes I have done some complaining and I think it is well warranted. I also hope that the complaining will encourage developers to work on products that appeal to most if not every amiga user. Last is my pledge to spend money for such products.

I dont think that is so unreasonable do you. Is this not what we all would like to see happen

Even if I assume that you (and some others) would be willing to spend for a modern email-client (whatever this is because I myself use something basic for that) and you would find someone willing and able to do it (and have the needed time) how much would it be? Perhaps you could setup a bounty with the requirement to update Simplemail or YAM and then wait how much will be donated and if there is any real interest for it. Simplemail works very good for me, why should I be for a new client? This way many others will think too. And regarding your problems from my experience in supporting PCs it more sounds like OS/hardware related than a software problem. Everything else works perfectly? Is internet connection running stable?