Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS4 on the pegasos  (Read 6793 times)

Description:

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
Re: OS4 on the pegasos
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2004, 06:37:18 PM »
Hyperion Quake 2 will work on MorphOS. WipeOut 2097 will. Heretic II and Shogo will. Payback won't (it bangs the hardware). Playing 3D games using 3D hardware assumes you have a card with working MOS 3D drivers, currently only Voodoo 3 and 5 cards have them, Radeon cards will follow in the future.

MOS has been promised Papyrus Office as an office suite, it exists but nobody knows how far it is from release.

Offline KennyR

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2004, 06:38:07 PM »
Yeah OS4 is taking forever but consider you need an Amiga One to run it, it seems to me like the pegasos is like half the price and the same sort of hardware spec, or is that just in England?

No, AmigaONE is expensive. And probably even more so outside England (shipping).

Offline Magic-Merl

• Show only replies by Magic-Merl
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2004, 06:41:53 PM »
Actually in the UK the Pegasos seems to have a higher hardware spec.

The cost for me doesn't really matter, it's the longevity of the hardware.

MOS, however, do tend to be ignoring one major fact.  When it comes to 3D hardware Nvidea rules the roost, at least in the UK, but no drivers! No support for this hardware.

I just don't feel 100% that MOS is the way to go.  I'm not 100% convinced that AOS4.0 will be delivered and trust me, I have been waiting many many years.  I'm not totally convinced that Eyetech will maintain it's alegence to AOS4.0.  It has found other markets to support it's hardware and Pegasos does seem like the better hardware option.

Oh. Decisions decisions.

I think I will go with my instinct.  As clever as MOS is in emulating 680x0 software, and as current as the operating system is.  I will wait.  Until OS4 that is.

Offline Robert17Topic starter

• Show only replies by Robert17
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2004, 06:50:21 PM »
I agree, we need to see both products in full before we can really make any kind of choice, I guess the fact that MOS is here now is enough for some users. Sounds good to me anyway, although I'd like to see a racing game for it :-)
Member of the Lincs Amiga Group, UK :-)

Offline Magic-Merl

• Show only replies by Magic-Merl
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2004, 06:50:54 PM »
Having a re-think on the Office Suite statement that I made earlier.

When PC's were business machines.  Spreadsheets and Databases were all the machine was good for.  Use the PC for advanced office suites and let our Amiga's (no matter in what form they may come) be interesting and diverse and look absolutely fantastic.

Yes, I take it back.  Lets run our Office suites through emulators that run faster than the actual PC's.

Oh no.  I've gone off on one again.  

Offline KennyR

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2004, 06:53:20 PM »
Magic-Merl wrote:
MOS, however, do tend to be ignoring one major fact. When it comes to 3D hardware Nvidea rules the roost, at least in the UK, but no drivers! No support for this hardware.

I'm no fan of nVidia - they make overhyped, hot, noisy cards that are strictly only for heavy gamers. I wouldn't get one.

But that said, MOS doesn't have any choice. nVidia don't give anyone access to documentation they need for making drivers. In fact, they've been known to legally threaten anyone who tries doing it on their own. nVidia support even on Linux is poor, and doesn't support 3D. Only the binary drivers nVidia release themselves for Windows (and which are notoriously buggy) have 3D support.

So don't think for a moment OS4 will support nVidia either. It won't.

I'm not totally convinced that Eyetech will maintain it's alegence to AOS4.0. It has found other markets to support it's hardware and Pegasos does seem like the better hardware option.

Not true. A1 is basically only sold for OS4. Pegasos is cheaper, meant for a much bigger market, and OS's for it don't need workarounds for problems with the Articia chip. You just port it and go. A1 on the other hand is badly priced for these markets and has problems just running Linux. No-one wants to adapt their kernel to run on an expensive PPC board when they can do it for half the price with no workarounds on a Peg.

Offline Step

• Show only replies by Step
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2004, 06:57:59 PM »
About Nvidia drivers, this is not something that can be done much about, Nvidia is not willing to share their documentation and to keep up with drivers other ways are just too darn hard.

As for OS4 the Developers pre-release are starting to pop up at peoples houses in Germany so A1 owners will at least have a rough beta to play with until the final version arrives.

:sealed: Think, before :ranting:

Offline Robert17Topic starter

• Show only replies by Robert17
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2004, 07:01:42 PM »
ATI Rules the roost anyway, whatever platform you're on :-P
Member of the Lincs Amiga Group, UK :-)

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2004, 07:18:24 PM »
You dont need OS4 on Pegasos because you can use MorphOS :-D
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2004, 08:06:43 PM »

but implemented more cleanly,

Subjective (and in my subjective opinion, {bleep})

running on better hardware,

Subjective.

and out two years earlier

Granted, but not of much consequence.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2004, 08:13:18 PM »
KennyR wrote:
I'm no fan of nVidia - they make overhyped, hot, noisy cards that are strictly only for heavy gamers. I wouldn't get one.

I think you're overreacting a little. Some nVidias are indeed hot and noisy and overhyped, but the majority runs just fine. And if they are strictly only for heavy gamers, then exactly the same can be said for cards from ATi. If you never play 3D games, you can make do with just about anything on the market today. Hell, I'd haul out my trusty Matrox Millennium II in that case. There really isn't that much difference between the two brands, and the small discrepancies are blown right out of proportion by overzealous and myopic fanboys. Rather like the AmigaOne/Pegasos or Intel/AMD debates.

But that said, MOS doesn't have any choice. nVidia don't give anyone access to documentation they need for making drivers. In fact, they've been known to legally threaten anyone who tries doing it on their own. nVidia support even on Linux is poor, and doesn't support 3D. Only the binary drivers nVidia release themselves for Windows (and which are notoriously buggy) have 3D support.

Once again I think you are overreacting a little. I have never been forced to upgrade drivers because of glitches (whether that is statistically meaningful is another thing, I admit), and under Linux, hardware accelarated OpenGL just flies on my GeForce 4. In fact, at the time I bought the card it was precisely because of ATis lousy OpenGL support under Linux that I had to get the GeForce.

I do agree with you that it is sad that nVidia so ruthlessly pursues its 'only we develop drivers for our hardware' stance. But I really can't bring myself to condemn the company for it.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline KennyR

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2004, 08:25:22 PM »
@xeron

Well, considering how they implemented 68k emulation (slow MMU stuff), lib stubs (now they can't transparently use WOS or PUP), the whole memory protection farce, and recently how altivec has been implemented, I'd say that without a doubt and objectively, MOS does it cleaner.

Offline djbase

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2004, 10:15:53 PM »
MOS has been promised Papyrus Office as an office suite, it exists but nobody knows how far it is from release.

The MorphOS Port is nearly ready. They have only problems with TurboPrint in MOS 1.4.x so they will wait for MOS 1.5 before it will be released.
AMIGA 1200 | Vampire 1200 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision AGA Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2
AMIGA 600 | Vampire 600 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision ECS Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2

Offline Van_M

• Show only replies by Van_M
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2004, 12:10:24 AM »
I don't know much about Morph Os, can somebody tell me if it's any good and are there any new games or games planned for it?

Some ineresting game ports are coming from EPIC Interactive. Among them thy mighty DIVINE DIVINITY!

But if games is your priority, I'd suggest you stick to the pc OR buy a Peg II, add a tv card and hook up a PS2 (or Gamecube or XBOX) on the RCA-video in port.

Some cool open source games (with qualities of commercial titles though) have been ported by Louise

I use BT Broadband. Are their drivers available for those stupid little BT Voyager USB modems?

BT is the most horrible company when it comes to support and you don't use windows. There are no official drivers and there will never be. Some linux users have managed to develop a semi-working driver for linux, (by using a USB-port sniffer and monitoring what goes in and what comes out) but it was for an early Voyager modem. It doesn't work with the one BT currently offers. I'd suggest you get an ADSL router or switch to cable broadband.

I just witnessed the fan of my GeForce2 Ultra fail, last week (£170 in late 2001).... bugger... give me a robust card with passive cooling and I'll buy it with closed eyes. I think that the best card someone can buy for the pegasos II is Radeon 7500. They sell for next to nothing and, we're not gonna get Half-Life 2, anytime soon, are we?

I just wish I had the monies for a Peg2 computer... I have so many good ideas for programming!!!
The new Megadeth album rules!

Offline gizz72

• Show only replies by gizz72
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2004, 01:10:28 AM »
Hello,

by Robert17 on 2004/6/4 1:43:29

Hehe well I'm not so interested in pc games anymore, too slow sure they look cool but I'm fed up with upgrading this and that all the time, all I'd want a pc link for would be to transfer my mp3 collection.

That's the trouble with PeeCee's these days. They got great softwares but you need to compensate your hardware to meet its max specs... And on(x10)...:pissed:

IMO, AmigaOS and MOS and other non-M$ OS's, they're flexible in most ways! ;-)

Greetings to all Amigans! :-D
Good day to all Amigans!
Please Check My FaceBook page
or my Resource Blog @ G.A.R.P.

SAM - SAMSUNG DB-Z2 Dual Core; 1 GB RAM; Dual Drive Win7 and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
GEORGE - TOSHIBA Satellite J41 ; 512MB RAM; Dual Partition WinXP and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
MANNY - A1200 + CobraDKB \'030 w/ 32MB + DataF

Offline Mr_Capehill

• Show only replies by Mr_Capehill
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 07, 2004, 08:28:06 PM »
@Kenny:

Out of interest, how have they implemented memory protection and altivec support in MorphOS?