Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS4 on the pegasos  (Read 6794 times)

Description:

Offline Acill

Re: OS4 on the pegasos
« Reply #104 from previous page: June 15, 2004, 04:01:56 PM »
Well said Magnetic! I agree the Amiga One in its current state is not a good system at all. The Pegasos is a much better product.  I think OS4 is starting to look nice, but its no MorphOS and its not on the Pegasos. If you were to use a Pegasos even for one month you would be sold on it for life. Trust me I know. I was all for the A1 before I decided to give the Pegasos a try.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline jeffimix

• Show only replies by jeffimix
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2004, 04:26:23 PM »
@Hammer

True, the 64bit architecture is cleaner, but I meant that statement in a more theoretical manner. I hear that the SSE stuff is faster in the AMD64 too....
\\"The only benchmarks that matter is my impression of the system while using the apps I use. Everything else is opinion.\\" - FooGoo

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2004, 10:41:34 PM »
minus points 4

Note that cookies can be use for spy/tracking. One could alternatively copy cookie's tracking addresses from anti-spy software(e.g. Spybot S&D) and enter the offending spy/tracking address to Privacy's Web Site override cookie handling (i.e. block address mode). This list can be extracted from registry for backup and redeployment to other PCs. **Some people likes IE6, who can argue with them?  

"Point 7" follows a standard *inux regiume for using a limited user account.  

Also, Neowin has April 2004 Autopatcher ISO(~300MB) which contain all of Microsoft’s 'as of' April 2004 patches and updates(both critical and non-critical).

PS; I use Mozilla 1.6 for surfing non-trusted sites.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Elektro

• Show only replies by Elektro
« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2004, 11:30:54 PM »
magnetic: since you're so certain ArticiaS has bugs tell us what those bugs are then.
#amiga.org @ irc.synirc.net

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #108 on: June 15, 2004, 11:59:04 PM »

Hammer wrote:
minus points 4

Note that cookies can be use for spy/tracking.

Yes, but cookie settings for IE won't affect cookie settings in another web browser such as Firefox, Mozilla or Opera.  

**Some people likes IE6, who can argue with them?  

Some people are stupid, and/or don't realise the danger that the web browser is to system security.

"Point 7" follows a standard *inux regiume for using a limited user account.

TBH I stopped reading after about point 5 because it looked all IE-related from there :-)  Yes I agree, but the practicality of it on Windows isn't 100%.  I've worked on a high-security installation of Win2k/XP for a long while and still haven't worked out all of the holes in it.  There are a stupid amount of obscure things that don't work for a normal user which should.  For example, default security settings don't even allow a normal user to double-click on the systray clock to see the calendar, let alone edit the time.  On my website, there is a primer for filesystem permissions on Windows, and I have come up with a set of tight yet practical permissions which is in place on my parents' machine and has stopped a virus from infecting the system (because it couldn't write to key locations on C drive).

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2004, 04:42:59 AM »
I've read through your reply, and I think that you are still not clear on what exactly I mean with spyware. Spyware to me are malignant browser extensions which take advantage of bugs in the browser to make sure you visit sites or see advertisements you normally would avoid. In addition, some spyware might track what you are doing in order to establish a user profile.

I'm quite familiar with what you mean.  My point is that if the browser is to blame, don't rap on the OS.  Use another browser and you'll be better off.  If Linux were to run IE, you'd have the same problems.  Also, UNIX security stops at the user-level, so if something gets into your browser (through a plugin, or an e-mail script), it may not be able to touch the system, but it has full authority to wipe out your whole user account.  In my opintion, that's not better security than Windows, because an OS can always be re-installed.  Your only hope to restore user files is to make a backup (how many Linux people actually make backups, BTW, or do they feel invincible behind the UNIX wall?)

The point I'm really trying to make here is that all operating systems I know of rely on applications to handle security on their own.  The OS really doesn't do anything but cover its OWN behind.  Rather than hailing UNIX and slamming Windows, it may be more procuctive to fix the real problem: applications shouldn't be able to modify any file in your account at will.  I'd really like to attach my download manager to a particular download folder, and tell the browser to stay within its containing folder.  Of course, current OS and browser architecture doesn't allow that.  Applications have their files sprawled out all over the place.  I still see windows applications that write their config files directly into "C:/", and tons of INI files into the System folder.  When will they ever learn?  What if Microsoft cracked down on this behavior and locked out the System folder to ANY write requests?  Do you know exactly how many apps would die overnight?  Linux doesn't allow you to write to the system folder, but it has plenty of its own problems, such as, any app can read the config file of any other app.  How will that prevent a spyware app from reading sensitive information and broadcasting it to a collection server?  What if the app is smart enough to keep quiet if you have a firewall, and attack the next time you log in as root?

Over and over again, I see people praise an OS because it's better than Windows.  If you're better than the worst, that's hardly a valid acclaim.  Linux and UNIX have *LOTS* of security problems, and the only reason why things don't go wrong more often is because those people tend to be more tech savvy.  Put an ordinary person behind the wheel, and see how easy it is to reduce it to rubble.  Seeing how a majority of people are not computer experts, this should be a very big concern if people want to bring Linux to the desktop market.  Personally, I don't think Linux will ever be a desktop OS unless someone builds a whole new desktop running on a modified Linux kernel.

That's what I was really hoping OS4 would be:  a Linux system with a brand new Workbench, not this proprietary, native PPC, bare-platform crap.

Tightening security and improving compatibility doesn't start with the applications or the kernel.  It's the desktop.  At the OS level, Windows and UNIX/Linux really don't look all that different to hackers and spyware.  You have to do a lot to harden a raw UN*X machine.

Spybot Search and Destroy + CWShredder + AdAware6 = no more hijacking.

Funny, I don't use those and I still have no problems.  I think all this spyware crap is due to ActiveX, which I have disabled on my machine (it's only good for Flash, anyway).

ActiveX is basicly an IE plug-in handler that runs code right off the Internet, and was used extensively before Java and .NET became more commonplace.  ActiveX is probably the worst idea ever -- worse than the system registry.

Either disable it right away, or use a non-MS browser.  With ActiveX disabled, I've never seen a system get infected with trash when just using IE and Outlook.

Slapping two words together and feeding them to Google's search engine does not mean that the pages turned up have relevant information on them.

No problem, here!  Move along citizens!

Sure, we can't guarentee accurate information in the midst of the information age, but vulnerability denial is a serious issue.  Sorry, there is *NO* such thing as a fully secured computer.  I'm quite familiar with PHP and Perl right now, and it absolutely shocks me how easy it is to exploit security holes in any kind of script.  No wonder so many ISPs don't like it when you add scripting to your websites.

Some people are stupid, and/or don't realise the danger that the web browser is to system security.

More naiive than stupid.  People come to me all the time with broken computers, and when I point out security holes to them, the are very surprised any software developer would be so stupid as to offer feature X, option Y, etc.

Stop blaming users.  Hell, today's computers have enough storage space to hold millions of pages of documentation, but many developers can't even be bothered to spell-check their own instructions!  I can't tell you how many times I've lost data due to a gramatical error.  "Far Cry", for example, has a button that says "Load Save Game" (note capitalization.)  I thought it was a unified button that would take me to an interface that would let me load OR save the game.  I found out later that Far Cry doesn't let you save games at all.  What it should have said was, "Load saved game".

My dad rolled his eyes and told me I was thinking too deep about a stupid button.  The problem is, this time it resulted in me loading a game I didn't want to load.  Next time, it may trash my documents folder.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2004, 05:49:52 AM »

Also ask yourself why would a company like Genesi waste a year of time and money to get off of the Articia and go to Marvell?

Perhaps they (Genesi) didn’t like mucking around aspects and wasting money on dealing with theses type of issues.

IF Hyperion managed to "fix" any of A1's Articia issues (as stated in original claims) via software then its good for them(for it's stake holders).

If you say but DMA works in OS4 its due to a "work around" in the OS4 drivers.

Note why the purpose of a driver’s existence.

OH and to be On Topic: Genesi has attempted to speak to Hyperion about getting OS4 for Peg but it seems this conflicts with their present business model and wont happen. ( And if anyone from Hyperion says this is not the case please email Genesi a proposal)

Note that, licensing discussions should be referred to KMOS not Hyperion IF I recall correctly. I think there’s too much bad blood between the two camps for any unification.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2004, 05:52:37 AM »
Yes, but cookie settings for IE won't affect cookie settings in another web browser such as Firefox, Mozilla or Opera.

Post made in the context of IE6 only systems.

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2004, 09:18:22 AM »

Hammer wrote:

Post made in the context of IE6 only systems.

Sorry, your later replied seemed to imply... nevermind :-)

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2004, 11:48:10 AM »
Elektro

If you dont know what some of the bugs are you must have been living under a rock or something.. its been talked about SO many times here.

magnetic
 :-o [
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Acill

« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2004, 01:12:13 PM »
The Artica is bugged, you have to trust him on this and take a look back at some older threads. It been well known for ages now. Its also why the Pegasos II didnt use it again if I remember correctly.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline Elektro

• Show only replies by Elektro
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2004, 02:25:19 PM »
Nice dodge magnetic but it wont work, answer the question.
#amiga.org @ irc.synirc.net