Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So... How we doin?  (Read 3423 times)

Description:

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Re: So... How we doin?
« Reply #59 from previous page: January 20, 2017, 05:54:48 PM »
Quote from: BozzerBigD;819991
Your loss mate. I hope you have a fulfilling career. At home, doing modern mundane computing tasks like syncing a smart phone to a modern Mac laptop to send photos from the hard drive via Whatsapp is easy and satisfying it's more like operating a photocopier than being creative. Same with Photoshop/Premiere it's all tweaking and airbrushing photos or video these days! You learn the skills but you might as well be learning MS Excel such is the disconnect between user and machine. It's JUST a tool now.

Sprites, bobs, brushes and parallax scrolling. This is what was FUN in computing in he 80s and 90s and it's been replaced by professionals with fancy Photoshop filters and Maya skills in 3D. Who the hell can afford Maya? Deluxe Paint came with Amiga bundles and Lightwave was attainable if you really wanted it. I really hope the BBC Micro:Bit gets kids into coding because heaven forbid they all just become Photoshop monkeys. Someone on my course is writing a mobile game in his own time, fair play to him. At least this keeps the Amiga creative spirit alive but what are the chances he can get it noticed in the vast sea that is the Google Play store or Apple App store? Amiga Format was great for rewarding and promoting game coding talent!

Its more when you have been wrangling with java web services and JBOSS all day in work, you don't really fancy switching a computer on when you get home to do anything but relax and play games.

Well I don't anyway
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2017, 07:47:35 PM »
Very true that.

Since starting working in IT it has become less and less fun to tinker with computerrelated stuff at home other than using it as an entertainment device, be it games or streaming movies.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2017, 10:36:27 PM »
I am probably the exception here, but I generally go home from working at my internet based job to do more study/learning about things on the Internet.  mainly looking for that next project I can crack open and solder a bunch of things together for.  

Just remember; never solder naked...
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline WayneTopic starter

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2017, 04:40:36 PM »
Quote from: odin;820195
Very true that.

Since starting working in IT it has become less and less fun to tinker with computerrelated stuff at home other than using it as an entertainment device, be it games or streaming movies.
That very much describes me in a nutshell.

Went from doing computers as a hobby, to having to deal with Windows, to aschewing Microsoft altogether, to basically using my Hackintosh as a video processor and storage device for the Apple TV.

Not much time or interest for Web sites or computers in general any more.
//* Signature Free *//

Offline nyteschayde

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by nyteschayde
    • http://www.nyteshade.com
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2017, 04:47:09 PM »
I feel very lucky that this apathy to compter time hasn't affected me at home. I'm a software engineer at the office and I'm always tinkering at home.
Senior MTS Software Engineer with PayPal
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500

• Winning!
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2017, 06:48:41 PM »

Wow.  This tells me that Amiga.org has actually not been updated since we went to vBulletin 15 YEARS AGO and lost the true join dates when we got off of whatever came before it...

That's both sad, and impressive at the same time.  Amazes me that this site is still standing, but hey, it's not mine to play with any more... Pfft  :laughing:
//* Signature Free *//

Offline EugeneNine

• Show only replies by EugeneNine
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2017, 07:15:35 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;820515
That very much describes me in a nutshell.

Went from doing computers as a hobby, to having to deal with Windows, to aschewing Microsoft altogether, to basically using my Hackintosh as a video processor and storage device for the Apple TV.

Not much time or interest for Web sites or computers in general any more.

Thats kind of the path I went.  Getting home after fixing windows (servers) al days long I didn't want to mess with fixing windows at home.  I moved off of windows so now I have more time to mess with other things as I can actually use my computer(s) to do more than just applying updates/fixes.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2017, 12:48:16 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;820542

Wow. This tells me that Amiga.org has actually not been updated since we went to vBulletin 15 YEARS AGO and lost the true join dates when we got off of whatever came before it...

That's both sad, and impressive at the same time. Amazes me that this site is still standing, but hey, it's not mine to play with any more... Pfft :laughing:

Yes after the site got hacked and we all lost our accounts.   Seem to remember a very unpleasant picture getting posted
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Offline B00tDisk

• Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2017, 04:03:58 PM »
I'm very much in the same boat.  I care more about vintage Dungeons & Dragons (rules, miniatures, adventures) than I do computers anymore.  I look at the crop of current PC games that are all rubber-stamp copies of one another and just shake my head.  I have no reason to rush out and buy another 16gb of RAM, the 16 I have in my system currently will do.  I've got 10tb of hard drive space (internal and external), a six core 3.0ghz CPU, and a 760ti video card.  Honestly, there's nothing out there I want or need software wise.  This machine will last a long, long time.

I'd rather paint up the shelves of monsters and adventurers and space marines and tau and learn to use my new airbrush than fart around with computers as a hobby any more.  Oh, if I saw an A2000 or A4000 at a garage sale or thrift store or something I'd be as happy as a clam but day-to-day?  Eh, it's for internet stuff...mostly looking up paint schemes for minis :D
Back away from the EU-SSR!

• Winning!
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2017, 08:58:42 PM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;820624
I'm very much in the same boat.  I care more about vintage Dungeons & Dragons (rules, miniatures, adventures) than I do computers anymore.
Hahaha.  I still... To this day... can't figure out what to do with my dndplayer.com domain name that I've owned for like 20 years now.. :)

Wayne

Save
//* Signature Free *//

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2017, 09:52:32 PM »
Quote from: JJ;820620
Yes after the site got hacked and we all lost our accounts.   Seem to remember a very unpleasant picture getting posted

Was that the one with Wayne's avatar's head on a naked body?

Offline nyteschayde

• Show only replies by nyteschayde
    • http://www.nyteshade.com
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2017, 11:02:50 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;820652
Hahaha.  I still... To this day... can't figure out what to do with my dndplayer.com domain name that I've owned for like 20 years now.. :)

Wayne

Save

Well for what its worth I run a lot of pen and player role-playing games all the time. If anybody is local to the California Bay Area and wants to talk Amigas and RPGs, I'll be in heaven.
Senior MTS Software Engineer with PayPal
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500

Offline B00tDisk

« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2017, 11:50:00 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;820652

Wayne

Save

Gimme admin rights, let me set up some D&D stuff on it ;)

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2017, 11:54:36 PM »
Tis true. People are playing board and RPG games more now. I'm done with all that, but plenty of people still haven't even tried them.

I guess people are playing more of all types of games now, rather than a general switch from one to another.

Marketing a web domain successfully is not easy, I wish luck on anybody that tries that, successful or not. Now seems one of the better times to try.
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline B00tDisk

« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2017, 06:50:13 AM »
Quote from: Pat the Cat;820667
Tis true. People are playing board and RPG games more now. I'm done with all that, but plenty of people still haven't even tried them.

I guess people are playing more of all types of games now, rather than a general switch from one to another.

Marketing a web domain successfully is not easy, I wish luck on anybody that tries that, successful or not. Now seems one of the better times to try.

The industry of pen and paper RPGs isn't what it used to be in the late 70s through the late 90s, but the hobby is doing good.  I can set up a game in a local comic/game store and always fill up the table.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2017, 10:02:55 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;820657
Was that the one with Wayne's avatar's head on a naked body?

the one i remember seeing was a gaping sphincter with some homophobic words aimed at wayne.

Might be mis-remembering though