Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NetSurf OS3.x Issues  (Read 11184 times)

Description:

Offline Tygre

Re: NetSurf OS3.x Issues
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2016, 04:40:48 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;801789
Dang it!  So I guess in addition to an '060, you need a Mediator.  Since AFAIK no native Amiga graphics card supports 32-bit screenmodes.  Bummer.  :(

I normally run my Workbench in 16-bit.  Tried it in 24-bit, no significant difference.  Added "friend_bitmap:1" back into the choices file, that helped.  Note that it has to be without the space, "friend_bitmap: 1" (with a space after the colon) doesn't work.  Geeze is this program sensitive, lol.  ;)

Hi!

Nice to know! Could you please provide a screenshot for comparison?

Do you think that Chris' NetSurf would work with HIGHGFX: Super-High Res Laced in, say, in 64 colours? :rolleyes: Would you be able to try... on my Amiga, it keeps opening on its own screen and it just freezes there... :(

Thanks!

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2016, 04:54:56 AM »
Quote from: Tygre;801790
Do you think that Chris' NetSurf would work with HIGHGFX: Super-High Res Laced in, say, in 64 colours? :rolleyes:

I assume you're joking, right?  :roflmao:

Quote from: Acill;801788
The dev one sucks no matter what.  I can only get Chris version working on 32 bit screen modes.

He's not saying "32 colors", he's saying "a 32-bit screenmode".  In other words, something you need a very powerful graphics card to use.  :(

Edit:  For your amusement, here's Netsurf on an 1152x900x256-color Workbench.  About the best I can do with my graphics card.  It took 53 seconds to load this page with an '060.  Scrolling around was painful.  ;)  Also, why all the chip mem usage?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 05:14:24 AM by Oldsmobile_Mike »
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline utri007

« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2016, 08:40:33 AM »
Quote from: Acill;801788
The dev one sucks no matter what.  I can onlg get Chris version working on 32 bit screen modes. 24,  8 or 16 looks like yours Mike.

For me seems that you confuse Chris ja Artis's versions.

Chris version "works" with 8bit, 15bit, 16bit and 24bit screens. In other words as a minium it requires AGA Amiga.
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2016, 09:01:59 AM »
Quote from: utri007;801794

Chris version "works" with 8bit, 15bit, 16bit and 24bit screens. In other words as a minium it requires AGA Amiga.

Download link?  It's very confusing which version is which.  :(

Edit:  Added a pic to clarify.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 09:21:16 AM by Oldsmobile_Mike »
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline chris

« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2016, 10:01:23 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;801795
Download link?  It's very confusing which version is which.  :(

Edit:  Added a pic to clarify.

Mine is the one on the left. The minimalist interface is intentional, there are lots of options in the menus. It is possible to add a hotlist bar by moving items into the hotlist folder, although I don't know whether that works under OS3.

The graphical problems I could do with some help with. The font spacing issue irritates me, so some pointers on how to fix would be useful. I think I need to query OT_SpaceWidth and advance manually when encountering a space, but I couldn't get much sense out of it when I tried. From a user POV, installing and using a different CG font might also work.
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2016, 10:18:55 AM »
Quote from: chris;801796
Mine is the one on the left. The minimalist interface is intentional, there are lots of options in the menus. It is possible to add a hotlist bar by moving items into the hotlist folder, although I don't know whether that works under OS3.

The graphical problems I could do with some help with. The font spacing issue irritates me, so some pointers on how to fix would be useful. I think I need to query OT_SpaceWidth and advance manually when encountering a space, but I couldn't get much sense out of it when I tried. From a user POV, installing and using a different CG font might also work.

Thanks Chris!  I wish I could help with the graphical problems, but aside from Commodore 64 BASIC and a JAVA class in college, I'm afraid I'm useless when it comes to coding.  :(

Any idea what the one on the right is?  The person who posted that screenshot said they "had it running in less than a minute".

I was thinking the one on the left was Artur's, and the one on the right was yours, also because the one on the left says it's "3.4", and I thought I remember you saying 3.4 "isn't released yet, and utri007 said Arthur's version is "the no gui version".

Bah, I'm so confused!  :roflmao:

Edit:  On a side note though, when I pulled up www.google.com in yours, it looked damn good!  I was kind of taken aback by how good it looked, honestly.  Wish every site rendered that well!  :)           (10:30 minutes in this video)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 10:24:35 AM by Oldsmobile_Mike »

Offline vince_6

« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2016, 12:15:33 PM »
@mike

I use NetSurf V3.
Older versions had mess palette due 32bit screenmode.
Version 3 works at 16bit on Voodoo3 P96.

Capture done via S-Grab.
My BBS : flashbackbbs.sytes.net:6502
http://partsfromthepast.blogspot.gr/ A1200 Black Project

Offline AcillTopic starter

« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2016, 02:06:56 PM »
Quote from: utri007;801794

Then its the resolutions I have picked or something. When I switch screen modes the only ones that didn't corrupt were my 32 bit versions. Also yes the one on the right works for me. It seems Chris's version is the one I cant get working.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 03:37:44 PM by Acill »
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline Tygre

« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2016, 04:43:35 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;801791
Edit:  For your amusement, here's Netsurf on an 1152x900x256-color Workbench.  About the best I can do with my graphics card.  It took 53 seconds to load this page with an '060.  Scrolling around was painful.  ;)  Also, why all the chip mem usage?

@Oldsmobile_Mike!

Thanks for the screenshot... Now, which version do you use? I am also confused at this point... Could you point me to it or PM me, please? :)

Thanks!

@All

Very interesting discussions!

Offline chris

« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2016, 05:12:36 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;801798
Any idea what the one on the right is?  The person who posted that screenshot said they "had it running in less than a minute".

That's Artur's, but I'm not familiar enough with it to say exactly which version.

I was thinking the one on the left was Artur's, and the one on the right was yours, also because the one on the left says it's "3.4", and I thought I remember you saying 3.4 "isn't released yet, and utri007 said Arthur's version is "the no gui version".

Heh.  3.4 isn't released yet, but anything built post-3.3 is versioned 3.4.  You can tell the difference because it will say "(Dev)" after the version number.  Release versions have the release date.

Artur's is the Framebuffer frontend, which is designed for systems with no GUI.  It has a GUI, of course, because it's running windowed under Intuition.

Edit:  On a side note though, when I pulled up www.google.com in yours, it looked damn good!  I was kind of taken aback by how good it looked, honestly.  Wish every site rendered that well!  :)           (10:30 minutes in this video)

Yes, people keep posting screenshots of amiga.org, which doesn't render properly.  Actually I've not seen a screenshot of anything else from that version!

Interesting video.
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion

Offline Tygre

« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2016, 05:32:11 PM »
Quote from: chris;801819
Artur's is the Framebuffer frontend, which is designed for systems with no GUI.  It has a GUI, of course, because it's running windowed under Intuition.

PS. That's one of my confusion because on my '060 AGA (no RTG), I can't get any version (that I tried) to run "windowed"... Could someone points me to a version that would work on my Amiga, as a window on the Workbench screen? :)

Offline chris

« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2016, 05:39:50 PM »
Quote from: Tygre;801822
PS. That's one of my confusion because on my '060 AGA (no RTG), I can't get any version (that I tried) to run "windowed"... Could someone points me to a version that would work on my Amiga, as a window on the Workbench screen? :)

Mine does that.  It defaults to running on it's own screen and because the prefs window doesn't work on OS3, it's not obvious how to change it.  So... you will need to run it once and quit it.  Then open users/{your username, probably Default}/Choices and add the following line:

pubscreen_name:Workbench

That should make it open on WB instead.

Don't forget the following might be needed or helpful too:
friend_bitmap:1
window_simple_refresh:1

Offline chris

« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2016, 05:45:04 PM »
Quote from: chris;801184
I can't remember if I ever got use_diskfont:1 working properly, but if it works that will speed it up too.

It appears this does work to some extent.  It might be worth checking if this makes NetSurf any quicker:

use_diskfont:1
font_sans:Topaz
font_serif:Topaz
font_mono:Topaz
font_cursive:Topaz
font_fantasy:Topaz

(you can substatute Topaz for a nicer font of your choice, but note the font_mono needs to be fixed-width, like Topaz, and my quick test didn't involve any non-Topaz fonts)

With those I can scroll through the amiga.org homepage at a reasonable speed, on my emulated supposedly real speed '020 :)

I also have:
redraw_tile_size_x:100
redraw_tile_size_y:100
window_simple_refresh:1
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 05:54:48 PM by chris »

Offline apj

« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2016, 07:29:55 PM »
Here is Artur's NetSurf WIP  24bit version.

I have added autdetect_depth option.
So colors should not be messed now.
Add this to Options and set to 1 to enable.
For now, this feature needs external porgram called getpixel in C:.
It detects current screen pixel format.
It is in archive. I hope to build it into NetSurf.

Close gadget and resizing isn't enabled.
I need to fix NovaCoder's SDL RTG lib.
It was used only for fullscreen games.
This is improved and updated version of SDL library.

Right click on 'Stop' button or ESC to exit.

Let me know how it works!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jvgnvg7cqkk54a3/netsurf-24bit.7z?dl=1
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 11:02:45 PM by apj »

Offline AcillTopic starter

« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2016, 08:58:40 PM »
Quote from: apj;801830
Here is Artur's NetSurf WIP  24bit version.

I have added autdetect_depth option.
So colors should not be messed now.
Add this to Options and set to 1 to enable.
For now, this feature needs external porgram called getpixel in C:.
It detects current screen pixel format.
It is in archive. I hope to build it into NetSurf.

Close gadget and resizing isn't enabled.
I need to fix NovaCoder's SDL RTG lib.
It was used only for fullscreen games.
This is improved and updated version of SDL library.

Right click on 'Stop' button or ESC to exit.

Let me know how it works!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jvgnvg7cqk...-24bit.7z?dl=1

I get a 404 error on this link.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #74 from previous page: January 09, 2016, 09:21:50 PM »
Quote from: Acill;801837
I get a 404 error on this link.

Same. :(