Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NetSurf OS3.x Issues  (Read 11185 times)

Description:

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: NetSurf OS3.x Issues
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2016, 02:11:32 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;801703
How about something like ELynx?
After roughly an hours work I've got a mostly working 68k binary.

ELynx is text only?  Interesting idea though, if it's more compatible with modern websites than any of the current Amiga offerings...
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Tygre

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2016, 02:39:24 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;801703
How about something like ELynx?
After roughly an hours work I've got a mostly working 68k binary.
Supports CSS and JavaScript, has a download manager, and is pretty quick. Seems a better match than Netsurf for "real" amigas (and is more capable in many ways too).
Sidebar, but take those RiscOS netsurf requirements with a grain of salt. They're akin to saying Quake will run on an '020+FPU+8meg. Technically true, but far from usable.

If anyone is interested, for a few donations I can polish up and release elynx (after initial test bins are released of course). Failing that it'll just get thrown on the "good enough for my own use" pile.
I'm pretty content with 68k OWB and Arti's Netsurf port myself, but am willing to spend some more time on it for a little bit of money.

Hi there!

Very interesting indeed but do you mean: Lynx or Elinks? Would you also consider open-sourcing your current version if no donations come your way?

Cheers!

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2016, 03:52:19 AM »
Yeah, I knew I had the spelling wrong, just couldn't recall what it was, so I took a stab in the dark :-)
Anyway, I'd meant Elinks. Which I see now checking the site appears not to have been updated for about 3 years. Not uncommon for a projects website to go unmaintained though while there's activity in its source repository.

As for sharing what I've done, there's really nothing much to share. I just looked through my source code archive on my computer looking for something interesting to port to os3.x/aros. It seems nicely portable and thus far its mostly been getting my dev env up to scratch to get it to build. Having said that though I actually looked at this a few years ago, so there's a chance I'd already started the process back then and forgot (my dev env is full of assorted libs and headers Ive added over the years). Things may not have gone so smoothly on a "clean" (if there's such a thing) os3.x gcc+bin utils setup.

Anyway, Im having fun with this, so I'll release stuff as I go along. If people decide its worth a few dollars in donations here and there then that's just a bonus.

I get distracted easily, so lord knows how far I'll take this, but it's sort of surprising no-one ever attacked the 68k browser problem from the "bare bones start, add stuff as needed/wanted" type angle before.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 04:05:13 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Tygre

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2016, 04:21:16 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;801707
Yeah, I knew I had the spelling wrong, just couldn't recall what it was, so I took a stab in the dark :-)
Anyway, I'd meant Elinks.

:laughing:

I get distracted easily, so lord knows how far I'll take this, but it's sort of surprising no-one ever attacked the 68k browser problem from the "bare bones start, add stuff as needed/wanted" type angle before.

Yes, I agree! I have been trying various versions of NetSurf and got even more interested when Deadwood released the source code of Odyssey Web Browser but, then, got scared when he told me that it requires 500 MB or more of memory to load some (not so complex) pages!!! :insane:

There seems to be even support for SpiderMonkey in ELinks, did you have a chance to try to compile/run it?

Cheers!

Offline Tygre

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2016, 04:27:07 AM »
PS. SpiderMonkey v1.5 CLI for m68k exist here (haven't tested it yet!).
PPS. v1.5 dates back November 2000... :o

Offline chris

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2016, 01:56:35 PM »
Quote from: Tygre;801713
PS. SpiderMonkey v1.5 CLI for m68k exist here (haven't tested it yet!).
PPS. v1.5 dates back November 2000... :o

v1.7 works on the Amiga.  Anything later... yeah, good luck.
http://git.netsurf-browser.org/toolchains.git/tree/sdk/recipes/patches/spidermonkey/ppc-amigaos-1.7.0 (might need some minor changes for OS3)
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline Tygre

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2016, 02:25:18 PM »
Quote from: chris;801739
v1.7 works on the Amiga.  Anything later... yeah, good luck.
http://git.netsurf-browser.org/toolchains.git/tree/sdk/recipes/patches/spidermonkey/ppc-amigaos-1.7.0 (might need some minor changes for OS3)

Hi Chris!

Thanks for the info. and the link! Later versions would be a pain to have on AmigaOS?

Cheers!

Offline vince_6

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2016, 02:38:21 PM »
It works great on my A1200 040/PPC OS3.9 128MB Voodoo3.

In less than a minute I got this:

My BBS : flashbackbbs.sytes.net:6502
http://partsfromthepast.blogspot.gr/ A1200 Black Project

Offline chris

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2016, 03:10:51 PM »
Quote from: Tygre;801743
Hi Chris!

Thanks for the info. and the link! Later versions would be a pain to have on AmigaOS?

Cheers!

They need NSPR. Although I was following a bug/enhancement to decouple it from NSPR, I'm not sure that has actually happened yet (and it doesn't necessarily make it any easier).

IIRC v1.80 ought to be easy, but it doesn't work for reasons I don't remember (could be endian related).

NetSurf has moved over to Duktape because sufficiently new versions of Spidermonkey are such a PITA to port, and it's relatively heavy.

It's possibly worth looking at the Timberwolf source to get a working new-ish Spidermonkey.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 03:12:57 PM by chris »
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline utri007

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2016, 04:48:04 PM »
How ELinks work with downloading? I would like to get some information how it performs. Is it so that these days, text only web browsing has a problems, when most of buttons are  images, they would have to have a atl= tag, if not they show up only as a empty space?. It doesn't download images at all?

Sounds reasonable.

Anyway, I'd meant Elinks. Which I see now checking the site appears not to have been updated for about 3 years. Not uncommon for a projects website to go unmaintained though while there's activity in its source repository.

As for sharing what I've done, there's really nothing much to share. I just looked through my source code archive on my computer looking for something interesting to port to os3.x/aros. It seems nicely portable and thus far its mostly been getting my dev env up to scratch to get it to build. Having said that though I actually looked at this a few years ago, so there's a chance I'd already started the process back then and forgot (my dev env is full of assorted libs and headers Ive added over the years). Things may not have gone so smoothly on a "clean" (if there's such a thing) os3.x gcc+bin utils setup.

Anyway, Im having fun with this, so I'll release stuff as I go along. If people decide its worth a few dollars in donations here and there then that's just a bonus.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 04:55:02 PM by utri007 »
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline Tygre

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2016, 06:33:04 PM »
Quote from: chris;801746
They need NSPR. Although I was following a bug/enhancement to decouple it from NSPR, I'm not sure that has actually happened yet (and it doesn't necessarily make it any easier).

Okay, understood :)

NetSurf has moved over to Duktape because sufficiently new versions of Spidermonkey are such a PITA to port, and it's relatively heavy.

Thanks for the pointer to Duktape, I didn't know this project but it seems to have very low memory footprint and has some very recent activity! Will try it during the week-end...

It's possibly worth looking at the Timberwolf source to get a working new-ish Spidermonkey.

Ouch :rolleyes: It is soooo big :)

Maybe integrating Duktape into Elinks could give m68k machines a nice, modern Web browser?

BTW, for some reasons, neither versions of Netsurf work well on my A1200 + Workbench 3.1 + Blizzard 68060 (no PPC, no RTG)... Is it just me? :mickeymouse:

Cheers!

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2016, 01:13:20 AM »
Quote from: vince_6;801744
It works great on my A1200 040/PPC OS3.9 128MB Voodoo3.

In less than a minute I got this:

Nice!  That is better output than I've ever seen on anyone's screenshots.  What version is this?
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2016, 01:41:26 AM »
Whelp, figured I hadn't tried Netsurf since I upgraded from an '040 to an '060, but still no love.

First I tried the old 3.4 DEV version that I had on my hard drive.  Then I tried the version from Chris's post #9.  Guess I need to find that text file command again to fix the graphics, but aside from all the font errors on loading being gone (and the crash when not loading from the ram drive), not much difference.

How the heck do you guys get yours to look so good?  :confused:

Offline AcillTopic starter

« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2016, 02:39:18 AM »
The dev one sucks no matter what.  I can onlg get Chris version working on 32 bit screen modes. 24,  8 or 16 looks like yours Mike.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 02:41:19 AM by Acill »
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2016, 02:59:42 AM »
Quote from: Acill;801788
The dev one sucks no matter what.  I can onlg get Chris version working on 32 bit screen modes. 24,  8 or 16 looks like yours Mike.

Dang it!  So I guess in addition to an '060, you need a Mediator.  Since AFAIK no native Amiga graphics card supports 32-bit screenmodes.  Bummer.  :(

I normally run my Workbench in 16-bit.  Tried it in 24-bit, no significant difference.  Added "friend_bitmap:1" back into the choices file, that helped.  Note that it has to be without the space, "friend_bitmap: 1" (with a space after the colon) doesn't work.  Geeze is this program sensitive, lol.  ;)

Offline Tygre

« Reply #59 from previous page: January 09, 2016, 04:40:48 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;801789
Dang it!  So I guess in addition to an '060, you need a Mediator.  Since AFAIK no native Amiga graphics card supports 32-bit screenmodes.  Bummer.  :(

I normally run my Workbench in 16-bit.  Tried it in 24-bit, no significant difference.  Added "friend_bitmap:1" back into the choices file, that helped.  Note that it has to be without the space, "friend_bitmap: 1" (with a space after the colon) doesn't work.  Geeze is this program sensitive, lol.  ;)

Hi!

Nice to know! Could you please provide a screenshot for comparison?

Do you think that Chris' NetSurf would work with HIGHGFX: Super-High Res Laced in, say, in 64 colours? :rolleyes: Would you be able to try... on my Amiga, it keeps opening on its own screen and it just freezes there... :(

Thanks!