Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS 4.1 Update 3 Released  (Read 8449 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Re: OS 4.1 Update 3 Released
« Reply #59 from previous page: August 31, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;657130
I will never again use OS4.x.x, that's for sure, but that doesn't stop me from being interested in it and follow its "development". I will continue to do so, thank you very much.

Out of curiosity, what exactly is your interest in the project? I only ask because you only seem be interested in slating it and everybody involved with it, whatever their capacity, at every possible opportunity. Rarely is there any OS4 related topic that crops up here without such a post from yourself. This my observation and opinion, not a moderation statement, so don't get all panicky and cry "foul mod" just yet.

You know, there was a time when the old BAFs used to constantly deride MorphOS. They were never justified in doing so IMHO, as it's clearly a finely implemented and mature Amiga-compatible OS. It would be blatantly untrue to suggest otherwise yet they persisted. Consequently I always found those zealous users that did so, clearly for the sake of it, to be insufferable idiots.

Sound familiar?

Just sayin'...
int p; // A

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2011, 02:36:24 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;657144
Out of curiosity, what exactly is your interest in the project? I only ask because you only seem be interested in slating it and everybody involved with it, whatever their capacity, at every possible opportunity.
I'll offer that my interest in the subject is because people here on a forum I frequent like to talk about it, and consequently I like to join in on the conversation. I don't think you should have to use something in order to have or express an opinion on it.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2011, 02:50:04 PM »
Removed. I try to keep such posts on moobunny.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:52:35 PM by jorkany »

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2011, 04:20:45 PM »
As a paying customer of both OS4 and MorphOS, please see the attached image as an illustration of my frustration with how OS4 development is proceeding. EDIT: Looks like the image uploader crunched down the resolution. If you can't read it, the two lines are 'Bugs' and 'New Features'

The time between releases is absurdly long. USB2.0 took literally years to materialize and is apparently still buggy. If the release cycle was much shorter, that wouldn't bother me so much - hence the inverse relationship between bugs and features on the 'Expectations' graph.

I'd rather see more frequent, less-feature-laden OS4 updates than we have in the current release model, even if it means they're buggier. Or maybe it's time to do away with the closed-beta and just have an opt-in, no-support, bleeding-edge, as-new-OS-files-are-available update model through AmiUpdate (like Debian sid or Debian experimental).

I don't mean for this to be hostile. I hope this is constructive feedback. If any of the OS4 guys want to discuss further, please get in touch.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 04:22:16 PM by Matt_H »

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2011, 04:39:47 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;657167
I'd rather see more frequent, less-feature-laden OS4 updates than we have in the current release model, even if it means they're buggier.

ssolie stated (on the Hyperion blog I believe) that he leaned toward more frequent releases, so you may get your wish. But then again he also told people having problems with Update 3 to go talk to the creators of affected applications, so be careful what you wish for.

Also be careful of what you post on the Hyperion support forum or you might get banned like HotRod: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=269

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2011, 05:27:58 PM »
@ Matt_H

Good pictures. Those graphs makes sense.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2011, 05:46:09 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;657169

Also be careful of what you post on the Hyperion support forum or you might get banned like HotRod: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=269

Wow, that was pretty cold. What a way to treat a customer.

Offline killer

• Show only replies by killer
    • http://www.os4games.it
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2011, 08:07:01 PM »
Effectively you have two sys: assignments which is not required for OS4 since it *is* the original.

I like it ;) :)

Offline HotRod

• Show only replies by HotRod
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2011, 10:52:22 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;657167
As a paying customer of both OS4 and MorphOS, please see the attached image as an illustration of my frustration with how OS4 development is proceeding. EDIT: Looks like the image uploader crunched down the resolution. If you can't read it, the two lines are 'Bugs' and 'New Features'

The time between releases is absurdly long. USB2.0 took literally years to materialize and is apparently still buggy. If the release cycle was much shorter, that wouldn't bother me so much - hence the inverse relationship between bugs and features on the 'Expectations' graph.

I'd rather see more frequent, less-feature-laden OS4 updates than we have in the current release model, even if it means they're buggier. Or maybe it's time to do away with the closed-beta and just have an opt-in, no-support, bleeding-edge, as-new-OS-files-are-available update model through AmiUpdate (like Debian sid or Debian experimental).

I don't mean for this to be hostile. I hope this is constructive feedback. If any of the OS4 guys want to discuss further, please get in touch.

Seeing how update 3 aimed to be the last update for AOS 4.1 this is a big disapointment. I expected more since it has taken so long between update 2 and 3. The bigest improvement are faster graphics and it's nice that USB 2 is finally available. However OWB still gets stuck at 100% and I still got the same issues with the graphicscard that is the recommended modell.

I don't know if they'll ever get it right but since 4.1 was released it hasn't been working properly IMO. I am very tempted to reverse to 4.0, it actually worked better over all. I prefer a stable and working system than a half-working system with new features.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2011, 11:28:48 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;657144
..You know, there was a time when the old BAFs used to constantly deride MorphOS. They were never justified in doing so IMHO, as it's clearly a finely implemented and mature Amiga-compatible OS. It would be blatantly untrue to suggest otherwise yet they persisted. Consequently I always found those zealous users that did so, clearly for the sake of it, to be insufferable idiots.

Sound familiar?

Just sayin'...

Karlos, you are far too kind:cool:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 12:51:37 AM by klx300r »
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline amoskodare

• Show only replies by amoskodare
    • http://m4rko.com/amiga
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2011, 12:49:16 AM »
So, I just installed this Update 3 on my Sam440ep-flex... The procedure went without any problems :-) :-)

Initial impressions:

* Yay, me like the new boot pic very very much :D :D
* Oki... the system bootup seems little slower now :-S Well, expected with more stuff to load so not a big deal :)
* Took one of my USB2 stick and... yes it seems to work great!! :D
* Started OWB, went to AW.net... browsing feels faster, and wow, the scrolling feels much much faster compared to before :D
* And the overall system... feels more snappier and responsive too :D

Haven't yet tested more than that...

*me-happy* :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

@Hyperion

C128 + Action Replay, A500+ (KS1.3/KS2.0), A1200, A1200/040, Amiga Forever 2008+09+2016, Amiga Future subscriber, Nokia N900 (Maemo 5), 5 x86/x64 boxes
AmigaOS 4.1 FEu1 on Sam440ep-flex/800MHz/1GB RAM/Radeon 9250 :afro:
AOS4.1 FE Update 1 for Classic (on WinUAE PPC)
m4rko.com/AMIGA

Offline HotRod

• Show only replies by HotRod
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2011, 01:42:45 AM »
Network speed is a lot faster too. Downloaded something from os4depot.net using IBrowse and got about 2MB/s and it's always been 400-500kb/s befores this update.

Yes, nice bootpic, like that as well. Haven't had IBrowse crashing on startup, at least not yet so it might be fixed. Faster graphics, even my old Radeon 7000 worked fine with compositing on when moving windows but was really slow before the update.

I am very tempted to make a video showing what I'm doing regarding the DDC issue since they don't seem to believe me or take me seriously.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2011, 02:33:38 AM »
Quote from: klx300r;656928
yes it is indeed a big issue on this site that keeps getting worse unfortunately :(

What you guys fail to realize is it has nothing to do with "this site" Its honest users and devs that are dissapointed that after a 16month development cycle all these problems and no real features except usb2 which should have came out 2 years ago...
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline magnetic

« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2011, 02:35:51 AM »
Quote from: mikeymike;657012
You said it was "hilarious" that OS 4.1.1 then 2 then 3 had to be put on in series (implication:  bad).

Yes, after reading this thread agreed. Amiga os should not have to be installed like lame ass windows xp or vista or whatever. To do the os4.0 to 4.1 to 4.2 probably takes a couple of hours. PITA
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Offline magnetic

« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2011, 02:39:10 AM »
Quote from: ssolie;657026
I do not appreciate being personally attacked and my work berated when you don't even use the product in question.

Ssolie

You are right. I'm impressed with how you took charge of the os4 efforts and things have gotten better with you and other like Hammer involved. of course deniil, kas1e etc..

Insults are not cool. You have to understand this amiga people are very emotional. To be honest Hyperion over the years has set themselves up for this kind of criticism since they carry the "name" legacy. Also all the stupid things os4 devs and Hyperion MP Ben H said about Morphos and other amiga projects they set themselves up for harsh criticisms for ppl in the know.

I mean 1 year and a half is a long time for a release to have this many broken apps and not many features... having said this i'm glad its finally out and looks as if some users are having great success with it. But its pretty bad when you have customers uninstalling the latest version of an OS4 and reverting back to the previous...
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz

Offline magnetic

« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2011, 02:43:54 AM »
Quote from: klx300r;657247
Karlos, you are far too kind:cool:

It is clear from your trolling constantly about Morphos that you have NO CLUE as to the truth of Morphos origins and developments. Did you even know that the Pegasos 1 with Morphos was ANNOUNCED as the next Gen "Amiga" by Amiga inc back in the day? I even have an Amiga mag with this somewhere..  the genius founders of MOrphos Frank M and Ralph S got stabbed in the back (and bplan guys) by Ainc and periphery developers like H+P and Hyperion....  DO SOME RESEARCH dont just be a blind fanboy... are you the type of person that believes everthing they see on tv or in the papers or what?
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz