Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AO Interview - Dave Haynie  (Read 21248 times)

Description:

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
Re: AO Interview - Dave Haynie
« Reply #89 from previous page: October 02, 2003, 02:28:01 PM »
@Red
That comment is aweful sharp, was it really necessary? Just like all other members, Wayne is allowed to speak his mind.

I'd say I was just being blunt.  There was need need to throw down the gauntlet to Dave online.  This situation has been turned around from a potential disaster to a unique opportunity to pursuade the community to buy Genesi.

Perhaps if Amiga Inc. had that kind of PR cunning, they wouldn't be where they are now.

Offline zacman

• Show only replies by zacman
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2003, 02:37:47 PM »
>sold more units than what Gerald Carda has been
>involved with so far.

AFAIK (and in this I might be wrong) Gerald Carda
has been involved in hw products with sales
numbers higher than 100 000 and that isn't that bad
after all.

Offline Calen

• Show only replies by Calen
« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2003, 03:01:02 PM »
interesting to see that even in 1994(!) the numbers
of sold A500/600 have been higher than all sold
other machines (A1200-4000) together.

I have no idea on how many A1200's sold total but i do know it done OK in late 93/94 timeframe.
Your comment doesnt make sence though, surely you meant 1993? when the A500/A600 outsold them all, of course the a600 would have high sales then as it was new, the a500 alone did sell high when compared alone to the A1200 for '94.  '93 figures is not surprising, given that the sales figures was taken late '93, the A1200 wouldnt have had a full sales year, you can see the difference the following year made for the A1200,  it was easily the biggest seller, but granted sales could have been better accross the board

Past history though,  we aint gonna even skim those sales figures with the A1 or Pegy combined for 2004.
Who knows what lays further down the line, i do hope they can at least approach that on future conceptions/updates

Offline zacman

• Show only replies by zacman
« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2003, 03:10:43 PM »
>Your comment doesnt make sence though, surely
>you meant 1993?

No the timeframe for this comment was (as said)
first half of 1994 and not 1993.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2003, 03:49:02 PM »
@Calen

The A1200 was introduced in Frankfurt (WOC) october or november 92 (and yes
you could pick one up and take it home from there). I got mine dezember 24
(no,not a present ;-)  ),so yes the A1200 had a full sales-year by the end of 93.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2003, 04:05:29 PM »
Mikey_C : funny. I was not even talkin about you with that 5 million
comment .. But apparently numbers accidently looked too similar and
caused reaction.

That 5Mil was (by some rumours) a given sales estimation to these new
AmigaOnes.. (Story don't mention models nor timeframe.. )

Beliving everything I hear? Hell no.. :-D

Offline Calen

• Show only replies by Calen
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2003, 04:42:40 PM »
@Kronos

Yeah my mistake, had my dates a touch mixed up.
Was indeed released UK anyway around Nov  '92,  i picked mine up early '93 from a well known high street electronic store,  Dixons,  finally got a 100% working one after 3 attempts :-) ah those where the days...

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2003, 04:45:57 PM »
everybody sane should know this , amiga1200 started to sell 11th november 1992 , but for other countries like norway it was 11th january and then delayed to mid feb 1993 (too big demand?)  , the a1200 didnt get the boost it should have in the opening as at that time amiga had allready released 3 clones based on ECS chipset and to a normal user, not much differences and tbh there wasnt actually any software with the a1200 in its first months to actually drag customers.

but if its beating the sales in europe (all not only germany).

by selling i mean , products came and made the a1200 superior , that was like in mid 1994->1995 . after that it was downhill iirc.

cd32 sales raised after commodore died, pretty weird but it also dissapeared to fast , ie people who wanted it couldnt buy it unless they looked for stores far away.

anyway i belived uk/sweden and denmark was the top countries for a1200, wasnt it? i remeber DMZ (sswedish mag) had lots of numbers about this in the past.

oh well what a discussion...... ;(

cheers
Whats up with all the hate!

Offline chris

« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2003, 05:18:33 PM »
I can't help but wonder whether it's Dave Haynie who is out of touch with the Amiga scene, or the Amiga scene which is out of touch with the Real World (tm).

I think the latter.  I'm as much out of touch with the Real World as anybody else in this community, and as much of an Amiga fan as anybody who is still sticking around.  I realise that neither MorphOS or OS4 and their respective hardware platforms are going to make any sort of dent in the desktop computing market any time soon, but - like everybody else - hope that somebody can pull a metaphorical rabbit out of the hatstand's collection of Amiga companies.  This is unlikely to be in the form of desktop computing, and is more likely to be in the realms of embedded systems.  Unfortunately this doesn't help the Amiga desktop users with the small issue of software.  I do however believe that the Amiga has the potential to get a reasonable sized desktop market, but most people won't even give it a glance.

Great interview though.  I never realised that quite so much was going on at Escom, but then they only had around a year to prove themselves (which isn't really very long when it comes to engineering).  Escom were the only ones that really had a chance to continue the Amiga line in the way Commodore might have done.  It is now far too late to do that, and the momentum from existing users - which would have ensured good sales - has largely faded away leaving only a small subset.

Chris
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2003, 06:23:24 PM »
Great article.

Actually I agree with Haynie, and not because I'm into hero worship...I'm not, but he's right about most things.

Even the Amiga Name argument, and hey, when he was at PIOS proclaiming his company was the next Amiga, I was actively, telling everyone on c.s.a.m that Dave Haney and Kitel were splitting the Amiga market, and they were the usurpers, and despite his credentials, why should we bother with the PIOS One, since its not a true Amiga.

What's changed, is the markets has gone from 200,000 to 100,000 to 50,000 to 10,000.

Who the heck cares if MorphOS is splitting the market.....the market is not even 5% of what it was 4 years ago....split away, it hardly matters anymore.

What matters now, is who expands beyond this market.

Offline sdesros

• Show only replies by sdesros
    • http://www.501st.ca/
« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2003, 08:29:24 PM »
I think one of the better things mentionned in the interview was the need to foster creativity in engineering (and hopefully elsewhere.)

In order to create something revolutionary, you need to be able to approach it by other angles.  Flexing your creativity muscles at other tasks can make you tackle a problem using a unique perspective.

(Edit: Eek... edited my lousy english. :P)
Steph

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2003, 08:32:07 PM »
@ Skyraker

Incredible.... we're given a lengthy in depth interview, covering a multitude of topics and this thread is almost entirely preocupied with the fact that Dave Haynie isn't particuarly interested in Morphos.

Very sad indeed.

I agree!

As I mentioned early in this thread, I think it was a great interview, even though I question some statements that obviously was made without knowledge of facts. But I am not troubled with that! The efforts that Dave put down in this document (because that is what it is - a document) is great, and it was indeed a very interesting reading.

(The following is not directed to you, Skyraker)

I also notice how suddenly some people crawl back to the various community forums (not only amiga.org) from whatever corner of the Internet they have spent the last six months or so, just to **fuel the fire**. The fire does not need fuel, it needs a Fire Estinguisher. But actually there is a company that benefit from the split in the community, a company that wants segregation, and thus some people have their agendas ...

Pathetic! I wish those bugs would just silently crawl back under the rocks were they are living these days ...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline SHADES

• Show only replies by SHADES
« Reply #101 on: October 03, 2003, 12:02:23 AM »
Seriously, I really liked this article! it was really a great read, I hope Dave contributes more!!

AO staff, I am really suprised, you guys have done a really good job here, any chance of grabbing a Carl Sass one??? hint hint   Or perhaps one of Dave's contacts can help, you obviously have a finger in a pie :))
Really, well done Guys/Gals, really good stuff!.

Thanks AO!
It's not the question, that is the problem, it is the problem, that is the question.

Offline KeesTopic starter

• Show only replies by Kees
    • http://www.amiga.org
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2003, 01:52:58 AM »
We already did an interview with Carl Sassenrath ..

Check out the interview section on the left of the main site :-)
Kees Witteveen
Amiga.org

** Cool Signature **

Offline tormedhammaren

• Show only replies by tormedhammaren
« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2003, 04:49:21 AM »
Great interview. It's always interesting and funny to hear what Hayz means. He even answered my question. :-)
But this thing shocked me a bit:

"So boy, did I feel stupid, being fooled by a kid, even if, as Skal guesses, he’s from Gypsy blood."
tormedhammaren/toddi ||==

Offline Druideck

• Show only replies by Druideck
« Reply #104 on: October 03, 2003, 06:17:42 AM »
Sounds like Dave hasn't even tried Morphos,
if he had I think he would be more interested and excited by it. (my opinion)

I think the Amiga feel is captured and enhanced
on the PEG.

Being a long time Amigan I was skeptical until I really seen it in action.  :-D