Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga.org Interview : Bill Buck and Raquel Velasco (6/30/03)  (Read 8272 times)

Description:

Offline fjudde

• Show only replies by fjudde
Re: Amiga.org Interview : Bill Buck and Raquel Velasco (6/30
« Reply #44 from previous page: July 01, 2003, 10:35:02 AM »
@Wayne
he NEVER said that "a G3 is faster than a G4" (which is what most claim was said).

No, but he said:

Our G3 Pegasos performs better than the G4 Teron with the Articia.

http://www.morphos-news.de/comments.php?lg=en&cpp=1&nid=222&page=32

Strange how fast you forget somethings, but never forget other things. Guess it has to do with what you like and dislike. ;-)

Offline Madgun68

• Show only replies by Madgun68
    • http://home.comcast.net/~madgun1968
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2003, 11:10:41 AM »
There were also remarks in the same paragraph that were clearly designed to "spoil" the A1XE market. Alls fair in marketing they say.
[Insert goose and gander saying]

Offline mahen

• Show only replies by mahen
    • http://mahen.free.fr
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2003, 11:26:54 AM »
About the "Pegasos April 2 + G3 faster than A1 + G4", I think you're all mistaken...

I rather think bbrv implied that Pegasos A2 + MorphOS is faster than A1 G4 + Linux, in terms of reactiveness etc etc.

I even thought bbrv said it but I'm not sure.

But I must admit what I first understood is that with April 2 the Pegasos G3 is faster than a buggy A1 with G4 where things have to be desactivated ?

Dunno... BBRV.. ?

Offline DaveP

• Show only replies by DaveP
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2003, 11:39:59 AM »
@Madgun

No need thats what "Alls fair in marketing they say." means.

@Mahen

Care to supply proof that the A1XE is "buggy" and that things need to be "deactivated"?
Hate figure. :lol:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2003, 11:47:22 AM »
@ mahen

Does it really matter? The A1 owners seem to be happy with their systems (the few who have spoken in public about it), and isn't that the main point (that they feel happy)? Let's move on!
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Damion

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2003, 12:02:56 PM »
>Oh he definately said it (G3 on ArticaS will be
>faster than G4on ArticaS)

But DaveP, shouldn't that actually read something
like "G3 w/fixed ArticaS will be faster than G4/
without fixed ArticaS"...that's how I read it...

And now that I think about it that may actually
make sense...Maybe not faster "completely" or
'entirely" but faster in certain areas like
memory access (becasue of the previously? buggy
Artica).

Let's put this statement in context here, he
was clearly discussing aspects of fixed vs.
unfixed Articas, NOT raw CPU performance of
G3's and G4's.

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2003, 12:03:51 PM »
Does it really matter? The A1 owners seem to be happy with their systems (the few who have spoken in public about it), and isn't that the main point (that they feel happy)? Let's move on!

Exactly. Even on ann, mostly PEG/MOS fanatics and such AONE/OS4 believers fighted over the issue, who don't have AmigaONEs.

The meaning of this? One may just guess.

Offline fjudde

• Show only replies by fjudde
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2003, 12:45:57 PM »
@ -D- and mahen

Bill Bucks exact wordings can be found here:
http://www.morphos-news.de/comments.php?lg=en&cpp=1&nid=222&page=32

And his challange directed towards Hyperion (Hyperion?? yes Hyperion!!) can be found here:
http://www.ann.lu/comments2.cgi?view=1046031327&category=news&start=1&192

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2003, 01:09:11 PM »
Poster: Warface Date: 2003/7/1 11:31:05

Thanks for the interview I wonder who will be the next?

I suggest an interview to Mr. Dellert :-D

The only problem is  . . . to find him

Ciao!

Offline SystemTopic starter

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2003, 02:06:57 PM »
This whole thing to me, regarding BBRV's earlier g3/g4 comment only goes to prove that EVERYONE here apparently reads different things into the same text.  So far, it's been a perfect example of one piece of text, written by one person, that we have at least four different interpretations by four different people.

It's simply amazing to watch.

By the way Bill/Raquel, thanks for taking time to speak to Kees (and by way, the site members) here at Amiga.org.

Offline mahen

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2003, 02:06:58 PM »
Yep, you're right. I don't care about controversies, who is good, who is evil etc... It's the job of fanatics from both "camps". And it's useless trying to convince a MOS or an OS4 (or ...) fanatic.

- mahen enjoying his MOS  1.3, looking forward to MOS 1.4 & OS4 to see more clearly

Offline mahen

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2003, 02:10:19 PM »
> that we have at least four different interpretations by four different people.

Yep, one makes his/her interpration according to whether he like bbrv or not, according to whether he/she considers him/herself a pro OS4 or MOS or neutral person etc...

(whether there's an articia bug or not, whether bbrv lied/is right or not, etc etc etc)

--> all this is ridiculous !

However, bbrv should pay attention to avoid making such strongs statements when they're ambiguous.

Why can't we just all live in peace and enjoy all the enthusiasting things currently happening, and take some distance with the events ?

Offline Kees

• Show only replies by Kees
    • http://www.amiga.org
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2003, 02:17:52 PM »
@ bbrv

Thanks for the T-shirts you send us :-)

Kees & Jacqueline Witteveen

:-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)
Kees Witteveen
Amiga.org

** Cool Signature **

Offline DaveP

• Show only replies by DaveP
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2003, 04:15:45 PM »
@-D-

Well Im not sure about that the old revision Articia-S that caused April 1 to be developed for the Pegasos and the "unbranded patch" that Eyetech used on the SEs would not, from the information I have been given, have impacted overall performance of the system ( although the system would have been unreliable ).

With April 1 ( and I have no information about Eyetechs patch modus operandi or post April 1 ) the more the ArticiaS and April 1 combo get called the slower the overall system becomes because of the way April 1 is forced to patch Articia S.

So I can understand a claim that sayes "an unfixed Articia S with April 1 would actually go slower with a faster CPU" ( although that does not logically follow - it CAN go slower if the workload saturates the bus ).

However this was shortly after claiming that the new Articia S ( which claimed to fix the problem ) still had the problems - at least when used with the Pegasos.

Ergo if the new Articia S needed to use an April style fix then at least with the Pegasos the faster the maximum throughput of the CPU the more the problem gets exposed ( through the way the April handles the problem as much as the original problem itself ).

The press release extrapolates that this will be true for other chip users - like the A1-XE. We have since found out that this is not actually the case and who knows if the later April revisions do not contain a more elegant solution which solves the problem the Pegasos has with Articia-S.

Thats as good as I can go for wording without revealing sources and IP that is not mine to reveal.

Of course the caveat being if the information I have been so generously given in my search for the truth about Articia S is accurate and I have no reason to doubt it at this stage.

Our G3 Pegasos performs better than the G4 Teron with the Articia.

Which clearly, from the performance stats we have so far, this is not true for the A1XE. So unless there is something else we need to do to substantiate these claims I would suggest they are related to the pre-fixed-Articia Teron with G4.

How also this can be extrapolated to "Our G3 Pegasos running MorphOS is a faster ( per unit work ) machine than the G4 AmigaOne running Linux" I don't know.
Hate figure. :lol:

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2003, 05:41:32 PM »
@spotUP

If you are willing to work at it, you can run MorphOS on your A1 now, according to some felgercarb I heard on the net.

The only reason MOS cannot run on the A1 is that little uBoot BIOS.  If you were to, say, flash an OpenFirmware to replace the uBoot's FlashROM, it would then theoretically be possible to get MorphOS onto the A1.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline starbird80

• Show only replies by starbird80
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2003, 07:11:08 PM »
If RJ Mical, Dave Haynie and Carl Sassenrath all worked on the next version of MorphOS and the Pegasos boards. What would be more "Amiga"? The AmigaOne+OS4 or the Pegasos+MorphOS?

OS4... Just because they worked on the original doesn't make everything they touch an Amiga, no more than having Nolan Bushnel there would make it an Atari.

Well, for that matter, Jay Miner was a designer of the Atari 8-bit series before his work on the Amiga.  So it *could* be argued the Amiga was originally an Atari...

Those of us who migrated from the Atari 8-bits to the Amiga were following Jay's product family, even if we didn't know it at the time.