Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga.org Interview : Bill Buck and Raquel Velasco (6/30/03)  (Read 7788 times)

Description:

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
Re: Amiga.org Interview : Bill Buck and Raquel Velasco (6/30
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2003, 11:29:35 PM »
Heh All the comments I expected from the people I expected them from.  You guys should really change the track every now and then.

Is it me or was there a lot more on the Ben Herman's intereview?  There just doesn't seem to be much here at all (including a couple of one word answers).  Seeing as it took ages for the interview to happen I'm very disapointed.

I'm also a bit dissapointed that some of the better questions weren't answered, like my question about organised posting, still I was expecting it to be ignored, and I suppose my employee question was answered very consisely.

Thanks to Kees for doing the interview and hopefully future interviews will be a bit better.

Offline bbrv

• Show only replies by bbrv
    • http://www.genesi-tech.com
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2003, 12:43:15 AM »
Hi Uncharted,

Post your questions here.  We will answer them tomorrow.

Thanks for your interest!

Raquel and Bill  :-)

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2003, 12:58:52 AM »
@BBRV

Seeing as you kindly offered here are my original questions again (Q2. has already been answered)

1. You announced that you were working on a Superbundle with various authors.  Are you worried at all that this might impact the small market sales negatively?

2. How many employees does Genesi have working towards MOS/Pegasos?

3. Would you support AOS 4 in the same way as you do other OSes (Like AROS)?

*Controversy Alert!!!!! (Mods edit if you wish)*

4. In your emails with SamFace (as seen on ANN) you mention something at the end about many people posting on certain forums on certain threads.  This could be taken that there is some kind of organised posting on forums.  Is this the case or is there another explaination?

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2003, 01:08:59 AM »
If RJ Mical, Dave Haynie and Carl Sassenrath all worked on the next version of MorphOS and the Pegasos boards. What would be more "Amiga"? The AmigaOne+OS4 or the Pegasos+MorphOS?

OS4... Just because they worked on the original doesn't make everything they touch an Amiga, no more than having Nolan Bushnel there would make it an Atari.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2003, 01:09:33 AM »
@uncharted

I hope you know that you now have the best avatar of all time.

:roflmao:
PRICELESS!
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2003, 01:21:01 AM »
OS4... Just because they worked on the original doesn't make everything they touch an Amiga, no more than having Nolan Bushnel there would make it an Atari.

Of course not. Everybody knows that they have all moved on to their own respective projects. But they are great minds and their new projcets is probably great too, and it seems like they are interested in the Pegasos platform for their projects. Thats cool! :-)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Elektro

• Show only replies by Elektro
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2003, 01:21:49 AM »
nah mine was better

;-)
#amiga.org @ irc.synirc.net

Offline jahc

• Show only replies by jahc
    • http://wookiechat.amigarevolution.com
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2003, 01:22:12 AM »
I remember you stating that a Pegasos with a G3 would outpreform an AmigaOne with a G4. No one has reported any speed issues yet.. Can you elaborate a bit more on this?

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2003, 01:28:00 AM »
Of course not. Everybody knows that they have all moved on to their own respective projects. But they are great minds and their new projcets is probably great too, and it seems like they are interested in the Pegasos platform for their projects. Thats cool!

I wish them all the luck... But to be honest, those who worked on the original Amiga have been involved in several failures since...."The Atari Lynx", "3DO game console", "Rebol" (although that one is not really a failure, I don't see it burning up the industry like at first it was thought would).... I'm sure there are others.  Of course, they may have had some sucesses too, you just never hear about it when things go right.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline SystemTopic starter

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2003, 01:41:17 AM »
I absolutely agree with that, but want you to extend it in every direction.  To a lot of people, Carl and Dave's projects would be 10,000 times more "Amiga" than those of a truck driver, ex-marine, and guy with some sheep weird sheep fetish.

I don't say this to be trollish, or to start an argument.  I say this to bring up the point that this eternal argument TOTALLY depends on your perspective.  

It truly reminds me of the Red Dwarf episode where "Cat" found out he was a god to the other hats.  1/2 of which thought the hats should be red, 1/2 who thought they should be blue.  My, how appropriate...  

The problem is, much like us, the "cats" on Red Dwarf ended up killing each other off with holy wars.

My point?  Oh yeah, I almost forgot...  Relax.  Realize that while we do have MULTIPLE alternatives to the Classic Amiga, there is no winning any argument against one or the other.  Hell, buy both hats, or at least play with both (when the red hat is available) THEN make up your own minds.  Taking such a firm stance, ready to fight to the death on a product that we haven't even seen yet is sadly laughable.

Offline SystemTopic starter

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2003, 01:48:12 AM »
@jahc

I'm looking for that quote now, so if I find it, I'll be glad to share it.  I do not EVER recall seeing BBRV saying that the G3 would be faster than the G4.  I believe this has been paraphased into myth, beyond recognizability by those with agendas.

Anyone, please feel free to share the link if I can find it, but I believe BBRV's ORIGINAL quote was something like "the Pegasos II with a G3 chip based on the new Marvell chip will be faster in a lot of ways than the G4 chip on an older Articia-based motherboard."  

I am of course paraphrasing, and I desperately want to find the original quote, and I say again, I might be incorrect in what was said, but that's what *I* recall seeing him say.  I remember it because my first thought was "cool!".

Offline Madgun68

• Show only replies by Madgun68
    • http://home.comcast.net/~madgun1968
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2003, 01:50:49 AM »
I wish them all the luck... But to be honest, those who worked on the original Amiga have been involved in several failures since...."The Atari Lynx", "3DO game console", "Rebol" (although that one is not really a failure, I don't see it burning up the industry like at first it was thought would).... I'm sure there are others. Of course, they may have had some sucesses too, you just never hear about it when things go right.
Product failure != Bad product. I thought the Lynx and 3do were quite cool for their day.. They just didn't make it for one reason or another.

Same is true with the CDTV.. It pretty much flopped but it wasn't because the machine sucked.

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2003, 01:51:03 AM »
But to be honest, those who worked on the original Amiga have been involved in several failures since....

Yes, but so has many others too (like Fleecy and McEwan). There is nothing bad or shameful in trying and failing, and there can be thousands of reasons to failures other than personal qualities (like you insinuate). I would NOT call Nolan Bushnell, RJ Mical, Dave Haynie, Carl Sassenrath loosers if I were you (neither is Fleecy & Co after their Amiga DE flop, but while the others have moved on to new endeavours, Fleecy is still trying to answer questions about OS4 week after week which never was their product and was not part of their plan).

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2003, 02:09:42 AM »
I think a good question would have been to ask about the 5000 Pegasos set top boxes.  I'd like more info on these.  Like if they are planning on using MorphOS as the OS or something more for the embeded market.  Also, price and about what time this year they are expected to ship.  What sort of video connectors will they have and if they will support NTSC or PAL or both.  

The seventh comment down:
http://ann.lu/comments2.cgi?view=1049810851&category=news&start=1&70

AmigaGuy
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2003, 02:12:35 AM »
I am of course paraphrasing, and I desperately want to find the original quote, and I say again, I might be incorrect in what was said, but that's what *I* recall seeing him say.

"The quote is out there ..." ;-)

Anyway, my own recollection goes more towards jahc's version in this case. And I think it was meant something like "if you downclock/degrade different components of the system until it runs *100%* stable while the Northbridge is shoveling huge amounts of unique data criss cross between different PCI/IDE units for a looong period of time, without a single case of data corruption, then the overall system performance of a Pegasos G3 with April2 will outperform the A1 with G4".

But that's just as much speculation as yours, and my interpretation is probably wrong anyway ;-) ...

Offline jahc

• Show only replies by jahc
    • http://wookiechat.amigarevolution.com
« Reply #29 from previous page: July 01, 2003, 02:14:38 AM »
I'm looking for that quote now, so if I find it, I'll be glad to share it. I do not EVER recall seeing BBRV saying that the G3 would be faster than the G4. I believe this has been paraphased into myth, beyond recognizability by those with agendas.

No, he definately said that on ANN a while ago. I've been trying to search for the exact quote as well, but have been unable to find it either. Btw, I dont have an agenda. :)

-Edit- This was months before the Pegasos2 was announced as well.