Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Microsoft game pack in COMPUSA national flier.  (Read 8039 times)

Description:

Offline hnl_dk

• Show only replies by hnl_dk
Re: Microsoft game pack in COMPUSA national flier.
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2003, 07:18:16 PM »
I'm a SDA-guy and I agree that Amiga Inc. has added a lot to intent [...]

Nice to hear :-D

Looking forward to see it as part of AmigaOS 4.x 8-)
Best regards,
Henning Nielsen Lund [Denmark]...

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2003, 07:18:19 PM »
Apart from that I want to say something else regarding all the crap that was posted on all Amiga related 'news'-sites.

Your an SDA developer and you don't like this news item?
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2003, 07:18:33 PM »
One thing i have been wondering... if there is so many developers that are currently developing for AA, where are the games/apps?? We havent seen any new software for quite some time now, though Bill McEwen promised new apps when he was on TechTV.... And yeah this is better than nothing... Hope they succeed..

Offline amimonkey

• Show only replies by amimonkey
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2003, 07:35:15 PM »
@redrumloa
>>Your an SDA developer and you don't like this news item?

*yawn*

Come on, you know what he meant don't be pedantic.

AmiMonkey

Offline quiesce

• Show only replies by quiesce
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2003, 07:42:29 PM »
"Amiga Inc who have done absolutely nothing in this example except put their name on TAO's product."

Wayne, you are simply quite wrong here. The AmigaDE is much more than simply a re-badged Intent. If it were not, TAO would not be allowing them to do use their technology, would they?

See this analogy... the 'Intent' is the computer/CPU (a virtual one) and AmigaDE is a collection of API's/Wrappers/Engines AND Intent.

OS5 will be the AmigaOS running natively in that AmigaDE environment. This paramount goal will have AmigaOS running everywhere. The argument that 'AmigaDE is not an Amiga' does not hold up here, it is moreso an Amiga than AOS3.X running in an amiga emulator. OS5 will bear a resemblance to the earlier Amiga OS's and will bear ultimate scalability. It certainly will be more Amiga-like than MOS/AROS.

While you may be skeptical about OS5 ever being a reality (and I'm not saying you shouldn't be), it is simply wrong to say AmigaDE is Intent with a different name on it. That is simply not true.

While I by no means can be certain, I am confident that Amiga have been doing a lot more than man-handling court cases these last three years. They may be taking much longer than they said (and yes, I will accept that they -lied- occasionally), but the contract developers must have been doing something all this time, and indeed there is evidence of this.

Also, I am amazed by Bill McEwen's inability to foretell things accurately. Fleecy has oft stated on Amigaworld.net that 'Prediction is not an exact science', well that phrase is given a whole new meaning with Amiga Inc.
  In 2000, for instance, Bill McEwen stated that OS4 should be ready in a few months. WHAT. What on earth could possess him to say such a thing? This is before they had Hyperion working on OS4 (at least I'm pretty sure it is). Why would he think that could be even remotely possible, and then have it turn out to be over 300% innacurate (and counting)? Was he just saying that to get people optimistic, disregarding the fact that they almost certainly would end up dissapointed? Or was their some grand plan we were never told about that fell through? Or did he simply have no grasp of the concept of OS programming and made a gross miscalculation on lack of experience? Either way, I don't trust McEwen for many reasons like this one, but there is more to Amiga Inc. than him and I think their motives are pure and their intended goals are very promising.

Offline alx

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2003, 07:47:16 PM »
OS5 will bear a resemblance to the earlier Amiga OS's and will bear ultimate scalability. It certainly will be more Amiga-like than MOS/AROS.

I'm hardly a MOS/AROS zealot, but I'm going to have to disagree a bit on this.  OS5 would, I'm guessing, be based entirely on the new A2G technologies, and could only run OS4.x apps in a sandbox environment.

I like A inc's timetable through the 4.x series, but I have never got exactly how much of OS5 would be AmigaOS, or DE.  Whatever happens, It's a bit early to be talking about OS5 now OS4 isn't even out :-)

Offline sackbut3

• Show only replies by sackbut3
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2003, 07:54:32 PM »
Hey, I just came from COMPUSA here in MD USA and the game pack I saw had the same games I have on my PocketPC not just one.   I was walking in the isle and saw "Amiga" on a package and stopped to pick it up.  I was surprised!  Microsoft was on the bottom of the package while Amiga was at the top.  Pretty cool I think.

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2003, 08:13:26 PM »
@quiesce

If I'm wrong, I apologize.  

To be honest, I've never considered DE as Amiga-related, so I haven't really paid enough attention to bother.  I have no need for a Wince machine.

As I also said, I am very glad that there's a possibility that you guys will be getting paid.  I'm all for it.

What pisses me off more than anything is Bill McEwen and "Fleecy Moss" consistent and intentional inability to support the community.

Offline Ohno

• Show only replies by Ohno
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2003, 08:15:07 PM »
One thing i have been wondering... if there is so many developers that are currently developing for AA, where are the games/apps?? We havent seen any new software for quite some time now, though Bill McEwen promised new apps when he was on TechTV.... And yeah this is better than nothing... Hope they succeed..

The most important reason is probably that we are currently developing towards a newer version of intent-platform. The old player doesn't play the new apps, so there is no use in putting the new apps on the Amiga web-shop until there is a new Amiga-Anywhere player. Amiga Inc. is currently busy working on deals getting games onto cards. Apart from that it seems some more serious apps are in the works now, which take more time to develop.

Regards,

Onno

Offline SidMan

• Show only replies by SidMan
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2003, 08:18:48 PM »
@Wayne

I don't agree with you about the lack of support.

What support would you like to see?

Offline amimonkey

• Show only replies by amimonkey
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2003, 08:19:10 PM »
@wayne

>>What pisses me off more than anything is Bill McEwen and "Fleecy Moss" consistent and intentional inability to support the community.

One, its blatently not deliberate. In the words of bbrv "It's business."

Two, is this REALLY the thread to be bringing your well know, well repeated annoyances with amiga inc up in?

AmiMonkey

Offline Ohno

• Show only replies by Ohno
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2003, 08:22:39 PM »
Your an SDA developer and you don't like this news item?

Hey this is actual news and I like it.. I was talking about news  :lol:

Regards,

Onno

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2003, 08:24:09 PM »
...intentional inability...

Is there such a thing?  If someone has an inability to do something,  can that really be intentional?

You might say someone in a wheel chair has an inability to walk, but I don't think that you can say that it is intentional.

Not that I aggree with anything you've said anyway.

AmigaGuy
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline sTix

• Show only replies by sTix
    • http://pegasos.dyndns.biz
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2003, 08:38:12 PM »
Nice!

Ok, perhaps no earthquake but any money/attention is
good money/attention!

Offline SlimJim

• Show only replies by SlimJim
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2003, 09:42:08 PM »
After reading the comments, this turned out to be the most
interesting thread on amiga.org in a long time!

Good to see the negative people doesn't rule supreme around
here.
SlimJim

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #44 from previous page: May 05, 2003, 10:04:38 PM »
Wayne wondered:
I'm beginning to wonder, in order to get paid, if software authors for the game packs ought to just go straight to Microsoft and cut out the middle man.
;-) It’s all about distribution.  As I see it, Amiga’s role in this is akin to the distribution syndicates for the comic strips that we read in the newspapers.  If you look closely at each strip’s copyright notice, you’ll see that they’re distributed by United Feature Syndicate, King Features Syndicate, Universal Press Syndicate, and so on.

:-? Can you imagine each comic strip’s author trying to sell his work to each paper in which it runs?  Many of them are carried in hundreds of papers nationwide.  It wouldn’t be feasible.

8-) Granted, Microsoft is Amiga, Inc.’s only customer so far, (that we know of) but there is the potential for more.