Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Speed rankings of Next Gen hardware  (Read 5689 times)

Description:

Offline ThemambomanTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Themamboman
Speed rankings of Next Gen hardware
« on: August 02, 2013, 04:00:50 AM »
I'm interested to see how the different flavors of Amiga OS next generation hardware stack up against each other, speed wise.

I've gotten an idea of how this ranking is over on the Morphos side.

So, unless there are some real benchmarks, would someone like to take a stab at ranking the hardware speeds of the various PPC hardware that supports Amiga OS4.x?

BlizzardPPC
CyberstormPPC
AmigaOne XE G3
AmigaOne XE G4
Pegasos II G4 (was there a G3?)
Micro-A1c
Sam440ep
Sam440ep flex
Sam460
AmigaOne 500 (doesn't this one offer a 1.15 Ghz version of 460?)
AmigaOne X1000

I'm pretty sure the really old Phase5 cards are the slowest and the X1000 is the fastest, but I'm not sure about everything in between.

Thoughts?

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
Re: Speed rankings of Next Gen hardware
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 03:44:27 PM »
@Themamboman

I don't know anything about AmigaOne 500 or AmigaOne X1000.

According to everything I have read the Pegasos II G4 with MorphOS or OS4 beat the pants off everything else in your list.

But you can get some sorts of old Macs that run MorphOS and are better.  Some old macs are worse, others are better, I can't keep all the models straight.  I am sure there are several MorphOS experts reading this who can tell us the fastest macs that run MorphOS.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 03:58:18 PM »
You can put that pegasos2 right below the x1000. os4 performance wise
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline nicholas

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 05:40:20 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;743435
@Themamboman

I don't know anything about AmigaOne 500 or AmigaOne X1000.

According to everything I have read the Pegasos II G4 with MorphOS or OS4 beat the pants off everything else in your list.

But you can get some sorts of old Macs that run MorphOS and are better.  Some old macs are worse, others are better, I can't keep all the models straight.  I am sure there are several MorphOS experts reading this who can tell us the fastest macs that run MorphOS.

The fastest Amiga currently available is the PowerMac G5 2.7GHz Dual Processor machine running MorphOS 3.2.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 05:42:28 PM by nicholas »
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 05:45:26 PM »
Quote from: magnetic;743439
You can put that pegasos2 right below the x1000. os4 performance wise

A 500MHz PowerMac outperforms a 1.12GHz Sam460 even.

@Hyperion

PLEASE port OS4 to Mac hardware, you are losing customers because of it.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 07:23:36 PM »
I have only used Mac mini 1,42GHz and sam440ep-flex and I must say that the Mac mini preforms quite well on MorphOS and the SAM440ep-flex runs AOS 4x quite ok, I wish I had a faster AOS machine near the mac mini specs to compare. I like em both in different ways but the mac mini feels LOTS faster.

Offline ChaosLord

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 07:30:32 PM »
@Nicholas

Thanx dude!  You're a handy guy to have around!  I love timing tests!

Do you know much about those G4 and G5 machines?

I am thinking "Damn!  I want one of those MorphOS G5 machines!"

But then I am thinking "Wait, I don't want a blacksmith forge in my bedroom that can smelt iron.  I want something coooool so maybe I better get a 2.0Ghz G5 PowerMac instead of the 2.5Ghz version"

But then I am thinking "Wait, maybe they are different versions of the chip or different masks or whatever.  So for all I know the 2.5Ghz one runs cooler than the 2.0 Ghz version.  Like how my 50Mhz 060 is much cooler than my 25Mhz 040."

So do you know anything about their heat dissipation? (watts)

If you never had one or read up on them then I will "just assume" that I should aim for getting a lowly 2.0 Ghz model to keep the heat down.

Is there a list anywhere of TDP for both the CPU itself and the whole computer for all systems listed above?

I'm conservative so electrical efficiency is my prime criteria when selecting any type of computer and has been so since 1993.  I don't like wasting resources.  Using resources is ok but wasting them is not.   And it may seem weird but I also prefer to keep my money in MY bank account instead of the Electric Company's bank account.

Offline ChaosLord

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 07:49:08 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;743441

@Hyperion

PLEASE port OS4 to Mac hardware, you are losing customers because of it.

Porting to old Macs is no longer relevant.  We are now in the Arm Age.
The macs were nice but they are no longer being built or upgraded.  They are in the past.

Arm machines are damn cheap with multiple machines available from multiple vendors brand new for $99.00 or less.
Arm machines get more powerful every single year.   And since they all run linux that means they can could also run MorphOS or OS4.

The Arm machines drink such a tiny amount of electricity compared to old Macs that you can buy yourself a new computer every single year with the money you save on your electric bill.  Its like getting a free upgraded computer every year.

I predict that whichever team ports to Arm first will crush the other team.

Piru, Ralph Schmidt, are you listening?

Offline ThemambomanTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Themamboman
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 08:04:41 PM »
Quote from: som99;743445
I have only used Mac mini 1,42GHz and sam440ep-flex and I must say that the Mac mini preforms quite well on MorphOS and the SAM440ep-flex runs AOS 4x quite ok, I wish I had a faster AOS machine near the mac mini specs to compare. I like em both in different ways but the mac mini feels LOTS faster.

Have you tried the Hyperclock utility to overclock that sam44ep-flex?

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 08:05:41 PM »
If you don't have/own all these machines...

HOW did you run these speed tests???
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:06:16 PM by SACC-guy »

Offline ChaosLord

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 08:13:04 PM »
Quote from: Themamboman;743449
Have you tried the Hyperclock utility to overclock that sam44ep-flex?

Overclocking wastes giant blobs of electricity.  Electrical consumption does not increase linearly.  I think it increases exponentially.  It would be smarter to underclock it.  Then next year buy yourself a new computer with all the money you saved on your electric bill from not overclocking it.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 08:19:07 PM »
Those timing graphs are completely irrelevant. They were made by Piru (a MorphOS developer), and do not compare like with like (the different versions were made on different people's systems with a different version of the software, probably compiled by a different compiler) - they're not comparing one system with another, they're comparing a truckload of variables, making the comparison useless for anything except propaganda.

It can be difficult to say which is "faster". On some tasks, a Sam 460ex will be better than a Pegasos II (for instance tasks which require better infrastructure - the 460ex uses PCI Express for starters). On others, a slower G4 Peg II will slaughter a 1.1GHz 460ex if the task is Altivec enabled.

I believe the order for most uses of AmigaOS 4 is:
AmigaOne X1000
Pegasos II G4
AmigaOne XE G4
Sam 460 1.1GHz
Sam 440 Flex and EP (faster CPU, 800MHz)
Pegasos II G3 600MHz
Sam 440 Flex and EP (Slower CPU, <733MHz)
AmigaOne XE G3
Micro-A1
CS-PPC
Blizzard PPC

Of course there are variations - I believe the fastest BlizzardPPC outruns the fastest CyberstormPPC, for instance. Then of course some apps use the faster bus of the Sam compared to the AmigaOne XE, that sort of thing.

Generally speaking, though, the Peg-II is a good board to have if you don't mind being limited to pre RadeonHD graphics cards and a PCI/AGP bus. If you want to run more modern graphics cards you need a Sam460ex or best of all the X1000.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline Blizz1220

• Show only replies by Blizz1220
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 08:36:54 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;743454
Those timing graphs are completely irrelevant. They were made by Piru (a MorphOS developer), and do not compare like with like (the different versions were made on different people's systems with a different version of the software, probably compiled by a different compiler) - they're not comparing one system with another, they're comparing a truckload of variables, making the comparison useless for anything except propaganda.

Those timing tests are dead-on accurate and reflect all other tests made
by big and professional companies I read ... Those tests can be used to
give you a very clear picture of what you're buying ...

@ChaosLord

When it comes to performance and heat consumption ratio on old Mac you
just can't beat MacMinis ...

They will work faster with Morphos , they will live a longer and happier life , and they will help you save mother earth and your money :)

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 08:37:20 PM »
Good summary.  I'm sure someone will post a response disagreeing with you in 3...2...  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Blizz1220

• Show only replies by Blizz1220
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 08:48:22 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;743456
Good summary.  I'm sure someone will post a response disagreeing with you in 3...2...  ;)

:rofl: