Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Speed rankings of Next Gen hardware  (Read 5735 times)

Description:

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
Re: Speed rankings of Next Gen hardware
« Reply #74 from previous page: August 05, 2013, 05:55:32 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;743707
I don't think anyone is complaining about OS4.

People are complaining that they would like to run OS4 but are unimpressed with the limited range of hardware available to run OS4 on.

I haven't used OS4 on my own hardware since I sold my BPPC a few years ago but if Hyperion ported it to Macs I'd buy a copy the day it was released, just like many Peg2 owners did.

I will just say that other way around works too: many SAM and X1000 users would like to see MorphOS on their system. SAM 460 port is good way to go, sadly MOS team refused Nemo board from Trevor.
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline nicholas

« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2013, 06:59:24 PM »
Quote from: vox;743729
I will just say that other way around works too: many SAM and X1000 users would like to see MorphOS on their system. SAM 460 port is good way to go, sadly MOS team refused Nemo board from Trevor.

Why should they work for free?  I'm sure he pays Hyperion to port OS4 to X1000 rather than just giving them a free motherboard.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2013, 08:33:54 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;743734
Why should they work for free?  I'm sure he pays Hyperion to port OS4 to X1000 rather than just giving them a free motherboard.

Well, same can be said for OS4 port for MacMini. Both Hyperion and MOS team expect to be paid for new mobo ports, which is not likely. And not like there are million PPC choices - its exhausted beside SAMs and X1000 for MOS and PPC Macs for AOS4.
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline nicholas

« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2013, 08:42:18 PM »
Quote from: vox;743742
Well, same can be said for OS4 port for MacMini. Both Hyperion and MOS team expect to be paid for new mobo ports, which is not likely. And not like there are million PPC choices - its exhausted beside SAMs and X1000 for MOS and PPC Macs for AOS4.

The difference is that Hyperion could potentially gain thousands of new customers by releasing the (already existing) Mac port of OS4.

How many potential new customers would an X1000 port bring the MorphOS Team? A couple of hundred at most.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Blizz1220

• Show only replies by Blizz1220
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2013, 08:53:29 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;743743
The difference is that Hyperion could potentially gain thousands of new customers by releasing the (already existing) Mac port of OS4..

I don't think "they" could because Moana is owned and copyrighted by one of the ACube (former? present?) employees ...

They would have to make their own or pay him for what he's done I guess ...

Whole Moana scandal just seems like a silly game to me really , laptop got stolen , it got released etc ...

Reasons why AOS 4 won't be ported to Mac are known only to Ben and possibly Bill McEwen and they are not legal in their nature because if you have a legal problem in a case like this there is always a legal workaround to solve it and Ben would find it in a heartbeat if he wanted to ...

Offline nicholas

« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2013, 09:24:02 PM »
Quote from: Blizz1220;743744
I don't think "they" could because Moana is owned and copyrighted by one of the ACube (former? present?) employees ...

They would have to make their own or pay him for what he's done I guess ...

Whole Moana scandal just seems like a silly game to me really , laptop got stolen , it got released etc ...

Reasons why AOS 4 won't be ported to Mac are known only to Ben and possibly Bill McEwen and they are not legal in their nature because if you have a legal problem in a case like this there is always a legal workaround to solve it and Ben would find it in a heartbeat if he wanted to ...

I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

What Ben wants and what the OS4 devs want aren't always the same thing methinks.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2013, 12:32:51 AM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;743453
Overclocking wastes giant blobs of electricity.  Electrical consumption does not increase linearly.  I think it increases exponentially.  It would be smarter to underclock it.  Then next year buy yourself a new computer with all the money you saved on your electric bill from not overclocking it.

Not exactly true. Overclocking uses a less than linear increase in power *until* you increase voltages. Only then does power consumption rise drastically (in fact Ive even had a core2duo that I overclocked and undervolted, requiring less power than stock frequency).

Some architectures overclock reasonably well without being overvolted.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2013, 01:41:17 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;743743

How many potential new customers would an X1000 port bring the MorphOS Team? A couple of hundred at most.

A couple of hundred? lmao more like you could count them on your hand. This is why these companies never release numbers they would shock alot of the fanboys..

Project Moana or whatever its called should have been the path for os4 instead they chose to do it like Eyetech model with proprietary hw bundled with software for outrageous prices (Notice how Morphos hw is always very reasonably priced? I got my peg1 for $299 new and peg2 for $499 new)
You would think they would learn from the A1 Xe mess but it seems there egos get in the way.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs