Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: YAM discontinued  (Read 2112 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

YAM discontinued
« on: May 03, 2022, 01:25:51 AM »
amiga-news.de has the story.

Where does this leave 68K users (and OS4 users, for that matter) in terms of email? I haven't done email on my Amiga in quite some time; is it even still possible given modern security/authentication methods? i.e., does SimpleMail still work?

Offline pVC

Re: YAM discontinued
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 09:25:58 AM »
SimpleMail does work for me on MorphOS still (at least the OpenSSL version), and I guess it'd still work on Amiga too, but the problem is if email providers start to require "stronger" authentications. I guess the current SimpleMail will stop working soon with GMail when Google starts to require OAuth2, but it probably continues to work with other providers for now.

But if someone still develops SimpleMail, I don't see it being that difficult to update it with OAuth2 support, and AmiSSL v4 is still in development, so why not?

IIRC there are some AmiCygnix email clients for OS4, which might become solutions when they mature a bit, although they're not that "native" then, but a solution anyway. MorphOS is in the best situation, because there is the native Iris email client that supports Everything (tm) currently (Oauth2, IMAP, UTF-8, HTML5, etc), but unfortunately it might be a bit difficult to port it on Amiga in the current situation...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 09:30:23 AM by pVC »
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline vince_6

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 09:22:01 PM »
I used to send mails via YAM.
The problem was that it was a challenge every time to battle with google's security.
I had to allow occasionally the Amiga to send/receive from google.
Later they gave a specific key to use as password.
Now nothing works, so yes it's dead.
My BBS : flashbackbbs.sytes.net:6502
http://partsfromthepast.blogspot.gr/ A1200 Black Project

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 02:41:41 AM »
Kinda sad that we've started making progress on the browser front only to lose email...

Offline vince_6

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 10:16:32 PM »
Maybe a mail server on a Pi is the solution for some of us  ;D
My BBS : flashbackbbs.sytes.net:6502
http://partsfromthepast.blogspot.gr/ A1200 Black Project

Offline Tumbleweed

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 10:15:44 PM »
This sad news. When I got my miggy back up and running YAM was one of the first apps I installed. Has been working well with outlook.com after I set it up for POP.
A3000T, Cybervision64, CSMKII 060; A3000D, PicassoII, Z3 Fastlane; A2000D, 040, PicassoII; A4000D, A1200, Blizzard 030 MKIV  (not working - next project)

Offline Jerseywurzel

• Show only replies by Jerseywurzel
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 05:14:15 PM »
I have just downloaded a new Nightly build, dated 10 July 2022. Hopefully, this means it's still being developed, although at a slow rate.

Just about to try it out.

https://github.com/jens-maus/yam/releases/download/nightly-builds/YAM210dev-20220710-f4bcbf-AmigaOS3.lha

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2022, 03:25:26 PM »
There was news in the last few days that support for the current AmiSSL was added, which is good to hear in terms of keeping YAM functional, but it didn’t sound to me like there was much planned beyond that.