Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A1200/A600 4xIDE Interface

AuthorTopic: A-EON Technology: Introducing Tabor and the A1222  (Read 898 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline LiveForIt

Re: A-EON Technology: Introducing Tabor and the A1222
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2015, 05:05:20 PM »
@rednova

-moviesetter

I don't think so, but database over compatible software is lacking.

-disney animation studio

I don't think so, but database over compatible software is lacking.

http://intuitionbase.com/ossoftware.php?category=2&letter=d

My guess is that it will hard to get it working, from time to time you find a gem that works, but most often you end up with UAE, as fallback.

If only the source code was available.

-aladdin 4d

I think A-EON, has that source code, don't know who is working on it or when it going to done.

-deluxe paint 4

With a lot hacks and tricks, you can get Deluxe Paint working somehow.
You are better off using PPaint that has native AmigaOS4 version.
Or if your desperate you can run it in UAE, this might be better way.

-brilliance

No

-Amos professional

There was project called XAMOS, to make AMOS for NG Systems, sadly the developer who worked on XAMOS died unexpected. I don't know if the source code is available or not.

I started on similar project many years ago; the source is a poor state, the project sort of died because I was really just interested in getting one of old program working. So I started re implementing AMOS, but as work progressed, it did not make sense to emulate AMOS, nor did it make sense to write my program in the same way as I did back then. So the AMOS idea was abandoned, as well, as original idea to port the program as it was.

One obvious issue I run into, is that does not make sense to emulate AGA on RTG system, at cost of lower resolutions, colors, and speed. And it did not make sense to make modern AMOS, that was not compatible. I guess that is way it died, as well as fact; it was never the end goal.

Anyway if the idea is make makes it easier to make games by using some simple commands, then there is SDL and Allegro. That do provided commands that easy to program to make games.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 10:36:17 PM by LiveForIt »
 

Offline OlafS3

Re: A-EON Technology: Introducing Tabor and the A1222
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 05:22:48 PM »
Quote from: LiveForIt;798698
@rednova

-moviesetter

I don't think so, but database over compatible software is lacking.

-disney animation studio

I don't think so, but database over compatible software is lacking.

http://intuitionbase.com/ossoftware.php?category=2&letter=d

My guess is that it will hard to get it working, from time to time you find a gem that works, but most often you end up with UAE, as fallback.

If only the source code was available.

-aladdin 4d

I think A-EON, has that source code, don't know who is working on it or when it going to done.

-deluxe paint 4

With a lot hacks and tricks, you can get Deluxe Paint working somehow.
You are better off using PPaint that has native AmigaOS4 version.
Or if your desperate you can run it in UAE, this might be better way.

-brilliance

No

-Amos professional

There was project called XAMOS, to make AMOS for NG Systems, sadly the developer who worked on XAMOS died unexpected. I don't know if the source code is available or not.

I started on similar project many years ago; the source is a poor state, the project sort of died because I was really just interested in getting on of old program working. So I started re implementing AMOS, but as work progressed, it did not make sense to emulate AMOS, nor did it make sense to write my program in the same way as I did back then. So the AMOS idea was abandoned, as well, as original idea to port the program as it was.

One obvious issue I run into, is that does not make sense to emulate AGA on RTG system, at cost of lower resolutions, colors, and speed. And it did not make sense to make modern AMOS, that was not compatible. I guess that is way it died, as well as fact; it was never the end goal.

Anyway if the idea is make makes it easier to make games by suing some simple commands, then there is SDL and Allegro. That do provided commands that easy to program to make games.

XAMOS is opensource

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xamos/
 

Offline Iggy

Re: A-EON Technology: Introducing Tabor and the A1222
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2015, 03:06:13 AM »
Quote from: Niding;798867
Well, depends on your point of view.

Ive wondered why they went with PPC instead of x86.
Ssolie's explaination when it comes to his personal intrest in the OS seems fair enough, if not very efficient.

The original decisions that lead down that path do seem dated, don't they?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"
 

Offline kolla

Re: A-EON Technology: Introducing Tabor and the A1222
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2015, 04:41:33 AM »
Was there ever an AmigaOne system with CPU slot?
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM460 and Mac minis with MorphOS
 

Offline OlafS3

Re: A-EON Technology: Introducing Tabor and the A1222
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2015, 10:10:52 AM »
Quote from: Niding;798867
Well, depends on your point of view.

Ive wondered why they went with PPC instead of x86.
Ssolie's explaination when it comes to his personal intrest in the OS seems fair enough, if not very efficient.

I have read 2 comments from Ben H. and one of the Friedens with the same justification... BeOS has failed because of running on X86 and there people compared it with Windows and did not use it. Their idea was when AmigaOS runs on a different hardware that would not happen. My view is different... BeOS did not fail because of X86 but because of missing software and people ALWAYS compare the alternatives, it is a illusion to believe that this not happens because of using exotic hardware. Now AmigaOS runs on expensive weak hardware and people still compare it and do not buy it. I do not think it was a wise decision. Perhaps PPC seemed a good thing around 1995 when all started but it was wrong 2003/2004 and is even more so 2015/2016. The problem is... because of no resources they cannot change direction anymore.
 

Offline Kronos

  • Resident blue troll
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Feb 2002
  • Posts: 4017
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
Re: A-EON Technology: Introducing Tabor and the A1222
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2015, 10:23:35 AM »
@BeOS

- BeOS failed when they tried to ship their own HW (the BeBOX)
- BeOS failed when they tried to replace MacOS as the default OS on Macs shipping at that time
- BeOS failed when they tried to take MS headon by negotiating with OEMs over shipping PCs bundled with BeOS !!!instead!!! of Windows

Be never tried to slowly build up a userbase by just shipping a good OS at a reasonable price for easy to get HW and is therefore 100% irrelevant when discussing an x86 port of any legacy OS.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else
 

Offline OlafS3

Re: A-EON Technology: Introducing Tabor and the A1222
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2015, 10:27:12 AM »
Quote from: Kronos;798879
@BeOS

- BeOS failed when they tried to ship their own HW (the BeBOX)
- BeOS failed when they tried to replace MacOS as the default OS on Macs shipping at that time
- BeOS failed when they tried to take MS headon by negotiating with OEMs over shipping PCs bundled with BeOS !!!instead!!! of Windows

Be never tried to slowly build up a userbase by just shipping a good OS at a reasonable price for easy to get HW and is therefore 100% irrelevant when discussing an x86 port of any legacy OS.

I agree that hardware was not the reason but that is how Hyperion justifies PPC instead of X86 (if people interested I could search for the links, I read it two times, one from Ben H., one time from one of the Friedens)
 

Offline Blizz1220

Re: A-EON Technology: Introducing Tabor and the A1222
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2015, 10:29:38 AM »
I think they were worried that if it can run on standard PC it would get
pirated as hell as I remember it.Seeing that's not the case with WinUAE
users of OS4 argument is now probably invalid but things were different
back then.

And "name" has it's good points.Somebody who just wikied Amiga may
end up buying AmigaOne before anything else even if 100x better just
because it's "AmigaOne".From my point of view when compared to classic
systems all three incarnations look and offer kinda same things :P
 

Offline OlafS3

Re: A-EON Technology: Introducing Tabor and the A1222
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2015, 10:32:49 AM »
this is what I found:
http://anna.amigazeux.org/detail.php?category=forum&file=0996487745.msg

"Both Beos and Linux serve as a stern warning about what happens if you  try to compete with Windows on the same hardware: you become relegated  to a Windows add-on product without any native software to speak of."

"The reason is simple: why would a software company invest money in  porting its software to another x86 OS when  it knows people can also  boot into Windows or run an «emulator» like Wine or VMWare which allows  you to run Windows software under Linux x86 at near native speeds? The  costs could never be recuperated through sales."
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 10:37:45 AM by OlafS3 »
 

Offline OlafS3

Re: A-EON Technology: Introducing Tabor and the A1222
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2015, 10:35:03 AM »
Quote from: OlafS3;798883
this is what I found:
http://anna.amigazeux.org/detail.php?category=forum&file=0996487745.msg

"Both Beos and Linux serve as a stern warning about what happens if you  try to compete with Windows on the same hardware: you become relegated  to a Windows add-on product without any native software to speak of."

and now? Who develops now software for AmigaOS and not for Windows?
 

Offline Haranguer

Re: A-EON Technology: Introducing Tabor and the A1222
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2015, 11:14:53 AM »
Quote from: Niding;798867
Well, depends on your point of view.

Ive wondered why they went with PPC instead of x86.
Ssolie's explaination when it comes to his personal intrest in the OS seems fair enough, if not very efficient.


During the Amiga Technologies days, that idea was considered.  The backlash from the community was immediate and vehement.  It would not have been a popular choice.

Now, as far as I know, Hyperion only have a license for a PPC port.  If they wanted to do an x86 port, they would have to re-negotiate with Amiga, Inc, and I doubt that would be successful.

But if you want to run Amiga OS on x86, you can use WinUAE or run AROS.
 

Offline number6

Re: A-EON Technology: Introducing Tabor and the A1222
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2015, 01:46:30 PM »
Quote from: Haranguer;798885
Now, as far as I know, Hyperion only have a license for a PPC port.  If they wanted to do an x86 port, they would have to re-negotiate with Amiga, Inc, and I doubt that would be successful.



May 18, 2006 - Hans Joerg Frieden before the lawsuit while he was still spokesman for Hyperion on AW.
Quote
Since I am also part of the anti-x86 lobby

Quote
Reason 1: Hyperion does not have a licence for x86, only for PowerPC.

Source

August 8, 2008 - Hans Joerg Frieden during the lawsuit:
Quote
I would really like to port AmigaOS 4.1 to x86.

Source

October 18, 2009 - Ben Hermans on settlement restrictions:
Quote
There is no limitation to AmigaOS 4.x.

Source

June 12, 2011 - Ben Hermans after the settlement on PPC and ARM:
Quote
Then there are some legal issues like some licences being tied to PPC only.

Source

August 9, 2014 - Well after the settlement and a theory based on the prior statements made publically by Ben Hermans:
Quote
The Ben Hermans quote about "some licences being tied to PPC only" most certainly refers to the licenses he has from the OS4 developers for their *new* code.

Source

Sorry about the off-topic and please try to keep comments from contractors seperate from those made by Hyperion management if you want to understand this.

#6
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 01:50:07 PM by number6 »
 

Offline nicholas

Re: A-EON Technology: Introducing Tabor and the A1222
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2015, 02:01:49 PM »
Quote from: number6;798892
May 18, 2006 - Hans Joerg Frieden before the lawsuit while he was still spokesman for Hyperion on AW.


Source

August 8, 2008 - Hans Joerg Frieden during the lawsuit:

Source

October 18, 2009 - Ben Hermans on settlement restrictions:

Source

June 12, 2011 - Ben Hermans after the settlement on PPC and ARM:

Source

August 9, 2014 - Well after the settlement and a theory based on the prior statements made publically by Ben Hermans:

Source

Sorry about the off-topic and please try to keep comments from contractors seperate from those made by Hyperion management if you want to understand this.

#6

So basically in layman's terms when/if PowerPC dies then OS4 dies with it?

Is the licence for any Power ISA processor or specifically the PowerPC?  Mind you, I can't see it being ported to IBM Power 8 hardware but it would be cool if it was. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini
 

Offline OlafS3

Re: A-EON Technology: Introducing Tabor and the A1222
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2015, 02:06:32 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;798897
So basically in layman's terms when/if PowerPC dies then OS4 dies with it?

Is the licence for any Power ISA processor or specifically the PowerPC?  Mind you, I can't see it being ported to IBM Power 8 hardware but it would be cool if it was. :)

X8000 - the workstation for the classes? You just need to make debts for it you need 20 years to repay?`:lol:
 

Offline nicholas

Re: A-EON Technology: Introducing Tabor and the A1222
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2015, 02:09:28 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;798899
X8000 - the workstation for the classes? You just need to make debts for it you need 20 years to repay?`:lol:

Sounds about right for OS4 hardware. ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini