Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hyperion bankrupt?  (Read 18119 times)

Description:

Offline Manu

• Show only replies by Manu
    • http://www.cartoonspace.net
Re: Hyperion bankrupt?
« Reply #269 from previous page: February 16, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
Quote from: yssing;784454
AOS is not only for the rich, come on, come up with a better excuse.

Excuse for what? I need no excuse I'm done with it been done with it since 2005
AmigaOS or MorphOS on x86 would sell orders of magnitude more than the current, hardware-intensive solutions. And they\\\'d go faster. --D.Haynie

Offline Erol

« Reply #270 on: February 16, 2015, 07:51:06 PM »
@Rob
@eliyahu

Thank you,  the fog has lifted..

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #271 on: February 16, 2015, 08:02:48 PM »
Quote from: Manu;784459
Excuse for what? I need no excuse I'm done with it been done with it since 2005
and lecturing us on why ever since. :lol:

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Erol

« Reply #272 on: February 16, 2015, 08:07:07 PM »

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #273 on: February 16, 2015, 08:11:49 PM »
Quote from: Lionheart;784440
MorphOS has nothing to lose and everything to gain in a deal with A-Eon.  They could continue to sell MorphOS for PowerPC systems and a version called AmigaOS with added features and software for A-Cube and A-Eon.  Even at the lowest price MorphOS sells their operating system (around $75 for one EfikaPPC system) they would make $15,000 if A-Eon even sells 200 and $30,000 for the same amount of computers sold if they were charging the same price Hyperion charges for each X1000 sold.

I don't know about that. They would have if they didn't support the Macs because most people are simply not prepared to invest so much money into one single computer nowadays. But I would still love to see a port to these computers. I think that the one who would gain the most is A-Eon after this bankruptcy mess. Some people are probably refraining from buying X1000 and it's successors because they are afraid that AmigaOS 4 might stop being developed soon (we do have one confirmed case of that). If they at least had an Amigalike alternative like MorphOS they might buy one anyway. That said, I think most if not all people buy an A-Eon computer only for the sake of running AmigaOS 4 on it.

I think the MorphOS Team would port it for the price of one or two free computer(s) or motherboard(s). That might be a little too expensive for A-Eon if they are really not that interested.

Offline Lionheart

• Show only replies by Lionheart
« Reply #274 on: February 16, 2015, 08:48:07 PM »
Quote from: Yasu;784470
I don't know about that. They would have if they didn't support the Macs because most people are simply not prepared to invest so much money into one single computer nowadays. But I would still love to see a port to these computers. I think that the one who would gain the most is A-Eon after this bankruptcy mess. Some people are probably refraining from buying X1000 and it's successors because they are afraid that AmigaOS 4 might stop being developed soon (we do have one confirmed case of that). If they at least had an Amigalike alternative like MorphOS they might buy one anyway. That said, I think most if not all people buy an A-Eon computer only for the sake of running AmigaOS 4 on it.

I think the MorphOS Team would port it for the price of one or two free computer(s) or motherboard(s). That might be a little too expensive for A-Eon if they are really not that interested.

A-Eon should give at least 3 computers and negotiate with MorphOS to sell a version of their OS for A-Eon and ACube's computers at a reduced price.  However, A-Eon should get a license to use the AmigaOS name or renegotiate the license they have with Amiga, Inc., as I'm not sure if the current license they have allows them to sell hardware using the Amiga name without AmigaOS.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #275 on: February 16, 2015, 08:49:47 PM »
Quote from: Manu;784452
It sure is my opinion and it's not going to change in the near future either.
And it is my money and I will spend it any way I want; and that is my opinion.

Offline Yasu

« Reply #276 on: February 16, 2015, 08:58:37 PM »
Quote from: Lionheart;784475
A-Eon should give at least 3 computers and negotiate with MorphOS to sell a version of their OS for A-Eon and ACube's computers at a reduced price.  However, A-Eon should get a license to use the AmigaOS name or renegotiate the license they have with Amiga, Inc., as I'm not sure if the current license they have allows them to sell hardware using the Amiga name without AmigaOS.

I think so too :)

I don't think Amiga Inc. will be helpful. The OS/4 guy who came and went like a storm asked him for a licence and was demanded 600.000 dollars and 5% of all the profit. I hardly would think that as either advantageous nor affordable.

Offline number6

« Reply #277 on: February 16, 2015, 09:12:35 PM »
Quote from: Yasu;784477

I don't think Amiga Inc. will be helpful. The OS/4 guy who came and went like a storm asked him for a licence and was demanded 600.000 dollars and 5% of all the profit. I hardly would think that as either advantageous nor affordable.

Just curious what figure you feel is "affordable".
Six hundred dollars is out of that range?

But in case anyones interested it costs $600.00 plus a 5% royalty a year for a brand license.

Source

Offline Manu

• Show only replies by Manu
    • http://www.cartoonspace.net
« Reply #278 on: February 16, 2015, 09:34:06 PM »
Quote from: danbeaver;784476
And it is my money and I will spend it any way I want; and that is my opinion.

Welcome to the rich mans club then. ;)
AmigaOS or MorphOS on x86 would sell orders of magnitude more than the current, hardware-intensive solutions. And they\\\'d go faster. --D.Haynie

Offline Paulie85

• Show only replies by Paulie85
« Reply #279 on: February 16, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »
Quote from: number6;784479

Source

That seems very reasonable to me.

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #280 on: February 16, 2015, 09:40:18 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;784418
name five.

at least 200 people disagree. and the X1000 isn't 3000EUR. oh, and for the record, i bought my first system for less than $600. my next machine was only $400. that may be expensive in your eyes, but it wasn't in mine. please don't take your feelings, project them on everyone else, and then draw false conclusions.

-- eliyahu

Seems silly but would you like links?   :)
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline Yasu

« Reply #281 on: February 16, 2015, 09:47:09 PM »
Quote from: number6;784479

It's just a name. And that price has to be added somewhere. Would you pay an extra 500$ just for the luxury to call the computer an "Amiga"? It's not like we aren't doing that already anyway.

Offline Lionheart

• Show only replies by Lionheart
« Reply #282 on: February 16, 2015, 09:54:09 PM »
Quote from: Yasu;784477

A-Eon is most likely already paying that amount in their license agreement with Amiga, Inc.  And $600 a year and 5% in royalties shouldn't be a lot for a company selling overpriced $3,000 computers.  

Amiga, Inc. doesn't have to be helpful, they just don't have to be stupid.  Without someone to license the name to they might as well not even exist.  They don't make or develop anything anyway.  Letting go of OS4 would make their IP more useless than it already is, leaving them only able to license out the Amiga name.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 09:56:34 PM by Lionheart »

Offline Yasu

« Reply #283 on: February 16, 2015, 10:34:18 PM »
Quote from: Lionheart;784490
A-Eon is most likely already paying that amount in their license agreement with Amiga, Inc.  And $600 a year and 5% in royalties shouldn't be a lot for a company selling overpriced $3,000 computers.  

Amiga, Inc. doesn't have to be helpful, they just don't have to be stupid.  Without someone to license the name to they might as well not even exist.  They don't make or develop anything anyway.  Letting go of OS4 would make their IP more useless than it already is, leaving them only able to license out the Amiga name.

Are they? The X1000 is called an "AmigaOne" and not an "Amiga". AFAIK the "AmigaOne" name was granted to Hyperion in the 2009 agreement with Amiga Inc. Maybe Hyperion is taking a name licensing fee but I have never heard of such a thing.

And it's was not 600$ a year, but 600.000$ up front, plus 5% of all profits.

Offline bison

• Show only replies by bison
« Reply #284 on: February 16, 2015, 10:35:02 PM »
Quote from: QuikSanz;784160
@gizmo350,

Z's are very nice but getting too old for a stick.

I hope that doesn't happen to me.  I'm not as agile as I used to be, but I can still push the left pedal and move that lever around.
"Unix is supposed to fix that." -- Jay Miner