Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hyperion bankrupt?  (Read 17743 times)

Description:

Offline QuikSanz

Re: Hyperion bankrupt?
« Reply #179 on: February 15, 2015, 01:28:06 AM »
@amigadave,

Yup!

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #180 on: February 15, 2015, 01:33:25 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;784196
This thread will surely turn out to be nothing but speculation and over reaction to an oversight, plus many assumptions.

Never the less, I have moved my portion of any further car talk to PM prior to your above request.

In what universe is being declared bankrupt by a court an oversight? In Hermans?

Offline Kremlar

• Show only replies by Kremlar
« Reply #181 on: February 15, 2015, 01:50:33 AM »
In what universe is being declared bankrupt by a court an oversight? In Hermans?

Yep.  If they somehow pull out of this it won't be long, unless Ben Hermans has a lot more money he wants to burn through.

I mean, how much $ are they possibly bringing in?

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #182 on: February 15, 2015, 02:21:40 AM »
Quote from: Yasu;784198

Do you know what events led up to the judgement?  Do you know that Hyperion was aware of the proceedings, so they could defend their position?  In many places, when one party or the other does not show up in court, a judgement against them is automatic.

I don't have the facts, but have read some unconfirmed reports that court notices may have been delayed from reaching the people who could have stopped this from happening.  I reluctantly share this info, as I don't like to spread unconfirmed information (rumors), until I know the facts.  I encourage everyone to calm down until we know more FACTS!
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline kolla

« Reply #183 on: February 15, 2015, 03:20:56 AM »
I may be repeating myself, but ... :banana::banana::banana::banana: haven't had so much amitainment for years :D
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline modrobert

• Show only replies by modrobert
« Reply #184 on: February 15, 2015, 03:23:48 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;784171
Maybe I missed the posts on this, but where did Hyperion actually provide any help on this at all?  From what I've seen they've been actively opposed to it (like that poor guy with his D-UAE thing recently).  I thought it was all the author (authors?) of WinUAE who did all the work.

Not trying to start a flame-war, just curious!  ;)

Yes, this is possible due to the PPC support added by Toni Wilen.

WinUAE 3.0.0 (17.12.2014)
==========================

New emulated hardware:

- PPC CPU emulation. CyberStorm PPC and Blizzard PPC boards emulated
  using QEMU PPC core, on-board SCSI supported.
- Other accelerator boards emulated (Blizzards, CyberStorms, Warp
  Engine, TekMagic, A2630), including on-board SCSI if available.
- More SCSI expansion boards emulated (Fastlane, Oktagon, Blizzard Kit IV)
- CD32 Full Motion Video cartridge emulation.
- CDTV-CR emulation.
- A590 XT hard drive emulation.
A1200: 68020 @ 14 MHz (stock), 2MB Chip + 8MB Fast RAM, RTC, 3.1 ROMs, IDE-CF+4GB, WiFi WPA2/AES, AmigaOS 3.1, LCD 23" via composhite - Thanks fitzsteve & PorkLip!

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #185 on: February 15, 2015, 03:52:39 AM »
Aww, I liked the car talk in this thread. It was a nice way to break up the monotony of the usual tin foil hat conspiracy stuff that usually comes up when talking Amiga-related business arrangements :)

It bears repeating: bankruptcy does not necessarily equal out of business. For instance, Kodak recently declared bankruptcy, restructured, and came out of it. RadioShack just declared bankruptcy and is attempting to restructure (whether they'll be successful remains to be seen) but for the moment their day-to-day operations are proceeding normally. Commodore filed under s different part of the US bankruptcy code and went straight to liquidation.

There's so much speculation flying around, but I'm leaning towards this being an administrative mix up. For Kodak, RadioShack, and Commodore, the writing was on the wall for months or years before the bankruptcy. We haven't seen that here  with Hyperion - and remember they just launched a new product which would have required cash on hand to manufacture. We know that OS4 revenues are minuscule and any "normal" business would have gone bust long ago. The fact that they've held on this long suggests to me that they are a very non-traditionally structured business with very low overhead. (We know that virtually all OS4 development is by volunteers.) An administrative error in those circumstances seems very possible.

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #186 on: February 15, 2015, 04:21:47 AM »
@Matt_H,

;)

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #187 on: February 15, 2015, 04:36:32 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;784206
RadioShack just declared bankruptcy and is attempting to restructure (whether they'll be successful remains to be seen)

Radio Shack is closing thousands of stores.  The ones near me have already closed.  The ones that are remaining open are being bought by Sprint, although they're going to brand them Sprint-Radio Shack.  That's the most recent I've heard.  Sucks, but they haven't sold anything of interest to me there in years.  Just would drop in for the occasional cable if I needed it "right away" for a job.  :(
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Plaz

« Reply #188 on: February 15, 2015, 04:37:19 AM »
Quote from: klx300r;783954
guys you really think A-Eon & Amigakit didn't know this was coming for a while now?

One company hide their financials from another company? Nah, that never happens. ;)

Plaz

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #189 on: February 15, 2015, 08:11:36 AM »
Given how tiny the company is, I can imagine that an administrative oversight (late filing of taxes, missing an automated payment for a bill, etc) could have led to this.  I agree that it's best to wait for more details.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #190 on: February 15, 2015, 08:34:12 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;784206
For Kodak, RadioShack, and Commodore, the writing was on the wall for months or years before the bankruptcy. We haven't seen that here  with Hyperion - and remember they just launched a new product which would have required cash on hand to manufacture.

Actually the writings have been on the wall for quite some time, it's just that some refused to look.

Hey one might even argue that this outcome was predictable form day one and only the massive delay is thze suprise....

As for Hyperion having just launched a product...... perfect time to go after outstanding debts (either directly or via a court).
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline Manu

• Show only replies by Manu
    • http://www.cartoonspace.net
« Reply #191 on: February 15, 2015, 11:27:19 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;784083
That's your opinion.  Many would disagree.  ;)
The reason I didn't buy a cheap PC to run Linux is because I don't want to run Linux, I want to run OS4 so that is the selling point that counts.

And in this sick community you could have a computer locked in a black box running OS4 and they couldn't tell a difference from a X1000 running OS4, but the moment you tell them it's in fact a Pentium IV running the x86 version of OS4 (made that up of course) they'd run away screaming and never come back. That's what's so sick about this PPC worshiping community.
AmigaOS or MorphOS on x86 would sell orders of magnitude more than the current, hardware-intensive solutions. And they\\\'d go faster. --D.Haynie

Offline apa

• Show only replies by apa
« Reply #192 on: February 15, 2015, 12:12:17 PM »
I hope that everythings ok with Hyperion, so that we can look forward to more releases.

(A few people in the thread (most not, thanks) seems almost happy if this were true - can't understand what you trolls are doing in an Amiga forum if you don't want the Amiga OS to continue be released.)

Offline OlafS3Topic starter

« Reply #193 on: February 15, 2015, 12:26:39 PM »
Quote from: apa;784230
I hope that everythings ok with Hyperion, so that we can look forward to more releases.

(A few people in the thread (most not, thanks) seems almost happy if this were true - can't understand what you trolls are doing in an Amiga forum if you don't want the Amiga OS to continue be released.)

"Amiga" is not only "AmigaOS" today ...

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #194 from previous page: February 15, 2015, 12:27:00 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;784201
Do you know what events led up to the judgement?  Do you know that Hyperion was aware of the proceedings, so they could defend their position?  In many places, when one party or the other does not show up in court, a judgement against them is automatic.

I don't have the facts, but have read some unconfirmed reports that court notices may have been delayed from reaching the people who could have stopped this from happening.  I reluctantly share this info, as I don't like to spread unconfirmed information (rumors), until I know the facts.  I encourage everyone to calm down until we know more FACTS!

I'm just having a difficult time accepting the idea that Ben Hermans was one day going to work, whistling some peppy song because everything is going his way. He goes to the office, say hello to his coworkers and recieve the good news that AOS 4FE is selling well. And then he sees a letter at his desk, he opens it and see that the court of Belgium has for no reason at all decleared Hyperion bankrupt.
"There must be some mistake. Why haven't I heard of this matter before? We are paying our bills and our taxes and even making some money". He calls the court and the judge in question tells him:
"Oh, some guy sent us a letter the other day claiming he hasn't been paid and that you have no money to pay him. Because we are the court of Belgium, runned by third rate burocratic saps we of course believed him on the spot and without making any kind of investigation of the state of the company we declared it bankrupt. Because that's what we do. Are you now telling me he was lying? But ... he seemed so honest! I ... Oops, I did it again. File a complaint and maybe, just maybe, we will be nice enough to do our job and fix this. Unless we are out for lunch. Good bye."
Ben Hermans hang up the phone, he stands quiet for some very long seconds shaking, and then shouts "DAMN THIS THIRD WORLD COUNTRY AND IT'S LOUSY JURIDICAL SYSTEM!! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!"

Sure, maybe they will rebound. It's perfectly possible. And I would welcome that for the sake of the community and all the people who wants to use and keep using their favourite OS. But let's face it, unless Belgium is like what I described above then this happened because the court did it's job and came to the conclusion after an investigation that yes, Hyperion is in their conclusion bankrupt.

[Edit] I also have a hard time believe that such a small company forgot to open or lost the hypothetical mail with the court hearing. My dad had a small company and he got some 30 mails a day. He opened all and read most of them. Especially if it seemed important.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 12:41:20 PM by Yasu »