Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology and AmigaKit Buys Amigaworld.net  (Read 1795 times)

Description:

Offline SACC-guy

Re: A-EON Technology and AmigaKit Buys Amigaworld.net
« Reply #59 from previous page: October 28, 2014, 03:48:49 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;775852
you may have heard of aminet an amiga-news.de cg and senex are maintaining? its not a site just some twenty people are visiting but an esential attribute to whole amiga community, the biggest repository of amiga and its derivates software, no matter if it is mos, aros or os4..

Doesn't excuse "dark thoughts"
 or rudeness like "get used to it"

of course I've heard of Aminet....never heard of amiga news

I think the mods should stop the rudeness.
I like Amiga, I help Amiga people keep Amigas going.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 03:52:53 AM by SACC-guy »

Offline amiman99

« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2014, 04:18:04 AM »
Quote from: kjmann;775913
...In my opinion, these  few need to be watched a little closer because they seem to have a habit  of "Stirring the pot" just to get peoples reactions...

When I read this post it reminded me of this...
A500 KS 2.1, 1MB Chip, 68000
A600 KS 3.1, 2MB Chip, ACA630 32MB RAM
A1000 KS 1.3, 8MB RAM
A1200 KS 3.1, Blizzard IV 50MHz 64MB RAM
A2000 KS 2.1, 68030 25MHz, 6MB RAM
A3000 KS 3.1, 68030 25MHz, 16MB RAM
A4000 KS 3.0, 68040 25MHz, 16MB RAM
CDTV KS 3.1, 4MB RAM
CD32
(AROS BOX) Dead :(

Offline Senex

• Show only replies by Senex
    • http://www.amiga-news.de/standard
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2014, 05:37:15 AM »
Quote from: SACC-guy;775929
Thanks for the link: amiga news dot de, I never saw it, till now.

That had been obvious. ;-) I hope you don't resent me for the previous comment, but given that Christoph indeed has been putting his money (and way more time) into an own website, the suggestion was just too funny to resist, sorry.

What about it?

As you've read meanwhile, Christoph is the only moderator left at Aminet (thank you, number6, for the impressive link) and co-owner of amiga-news.de.

amiga-news.de used to be the most-visited amiga news-site once, according to Christian Kemp (ANN.lu), followed by Amiga.org and ANN back then. Just that our english forum, unfortunately, isn't used that often, to put it mildly. ;-)

Quote from: GMeanie;775862
We can always keep buying new Domains with AMIGA in the URL.

Sure, but without sufficient inducement for a concerted action (like the exodus to AWN back then), any new forum will stay without users and thus useless. There are many examples online, see our own one mentioned above. Sure, it's old and thus not as comfortable as today's installed-in-5-minutes forum software packages, but here "the cat bites its own tail" (a German saying): without demand for a modernized english forum at amiga-news.de, there is little incentive for the amiga-news.de team to invest even more of their spare time to establish such an "update".

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2014, 06:31:01 AM »
Quote from: Senex;775941
That had been obvious. ;-) I hope you don't resent me for the previous comment, but given that Christoph indeed has been putting his money (and way more time) into an own website, the suggestion was just too funny to resist, sorry.

As you've read meanwhile, Christoph is the only moderator left at Aminet (thank you, number6, for the impressive link) and co-owner of amiga-news.de.

amiga-news.de used to be the most-visited amiga news-site once, according to Christian Kemp (ANN.lu), followed by Amiga.org and ANN back then. Just that our english forum, unfortunately, isn't used that often, to put it mildly. ;-)

Sure, but without sufficient inducement for a concerted action (like the exodus to AWN back then), any new forum will stay without users and thus useless. There are many examples online, see our own one mentioned above. Sure, it's old and thus not as comfortable as today's installed-in-5-minutes forum software packages, but here "the cat bites its own tail" (a German saying): without demand for a modernized english forum at amiga-news.de, there is little incentive for the amiga-news.de team to invest even more of their spare time to establish such an "update".
It's also obvious I don't know the man. But I thank him for his service with Aminet.
I refer amiga folks to use it every month. I own the entire cd set.

But, "very dark thoughts" and "get used to it" feel like threats, Too scary for me!

I also don't know you and your post could have been more informative...
but I got the "SCNR" so no resentments.

If Christoph has these knowledge and his "net rules" seen reasonable, why did he say those things?

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2014, 02:11:39 PM »
Quote from: SACC-guy;775933

I think the mods should stop the rudeness.

Then they should start with themselves.
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline TeamBlackFox

• Master SPARC
    • Show only replies by TeamBlackFox
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2014, 04:18:53 PM »
I'm going to step out and defend the moderators of this site as they seem very reasonable with what isn't tolerated. Moderators get too many of the patronising little children who simply can't accept others opinions. Props to Trevor and Matt at AmigaKit. If you have a problem with how the site is run, go somewhere else, we won't miss you.
After many years in the Amiga community I have decided to leave the Amiga community permanently. If you have a question about SGI or Sun computers please PM me and I will return your contact as soon as I can.

Offline Bamiga2002

• Show only replies by Bamiga2002
    • http://rutinskiband.net
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2014, 04:35:18 PM »
Quote from: TeamBlackFox;775962
I'm going to step out and defend the moderators of this site as they seem very reasonable with what isn't tolerated. Moderators get too many of the patronising little children who simply can't accept others opinions. Props to Trevor and Matt at AmigaKit. If you have a problem with how the site is run, go somewhere else, we won't miss you.
That's the elitist spirit we need! Different opinion = just go away, right? I've been lurking about this site and have noticed also tightening moderation, deleted posts, increasing bans and sort. This seems not the way to do things IMO, no sir!

We need the "pot stirrers" and different opinions also, it can't be a one-way street...
CD32
A500

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2014, 04:50:57 PM »
Are some people being deliberately rebellious because this is an NG Amiga site now?
They won't be able to criticise new systems which they liked doing?
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline kamelito

« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2014, 05:04:29 PM »
Quote from: We need the "pot stirrers" and different opinions also, it can't be a one-way street...[/QUOTE

The problem is not opinions, different or same. Opinions do not produce software, drivers, arts, musics, hardware...
I see 3 kinds of people here, the one who show the money and produce real products in this very little Amiverse, those who buy them and enjoy their journey, the last one will always complain because they don't have better thing to do or maybe don't know what to do to "exist" elsewhere.

Kamelito

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2014, 05:40:51 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;775925
He did not call other members here garbage, he wrote "this garbage", and your post is a perfect example of misquoting, or creating misconceptions about other members or moderators.

+1

Exactly as you describe here, I am so sick of "this garbage".  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2014, 06:11:27 PM »
@thread

i know i'm probably poking at the hornet's nest, but....

basically i don't care if you love classics, hate classics, love OS4, hate OS4, love MOS, hate MOS, etc., etc. the opinion doesn't matter. i want there to be differing opinions, arguments, and the like. that's what a forum is supposed to be all about. the issue isn't about the content of a post, but the tone and intent. for example:

1. AOS4 developers are all wankers!
2. AOS4 developers really should have focused on gallium3D instead of warp3D. MOS has better 3D, frankly

#1 is a problem. #2 is not. or, let's try this one:

1. any idiot can see MOS should be ported to ARM
2. i really think MOS should be ported to ARM; AROS is, after all.

again, see the difference? the issue is the insulting language. real 'trolling' is fairly rare, but we know it when we see it. if you're posting something transparently designed to upset people without actually having anything otherwise constructive to say, that's trolling. disagreeing with someone and explaining why is not trolling.

and, yes, moderators make mistakes. and when we do, we want you to point that out. but because arguments over moderation tend to blow up threads, we ask that you do so via PM or on the moderation forum. it's not to 'sweep things under the rug,' but to make sure we don't miss your feedback and to ensure threads don't get derailed. that's all.

lastly -- i'm not a moderator here to squash opinions or serve as a corporate puppet. that's not my personality. i just want to make this a fun place again. that's all. it takes up time i don't really have because i really enjoy amiga.org and, more importantly, all of the friends i've made here over the years. i want to make sure -- whomever is the owner -- that it remains a great place to talk about amigas.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline TeamBlackFox

• Master SPARC
    • Show only replies by TeamBlackFox
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2014, 06:13:24 PM »
I'm not saying that it should be one-way. Rather than providing unconstructive and baseless criticism, everyone should maintain a minimum of respect for the people in charge, and any criticism of how the site is run should be handled in a professional and nonconfrontational manner. Instead of using a "you" statement, use an "I" statement. Example with an actual criticism I have of people on here:

Unconstructive "you" statement:

"All you anti-POWER architecture users should stick to AROS if you want x86 AmigaOS and stop squeaking at the OS4 and MorphOS crowds!"

Constructive "I" statement:

"I disagree with those who deny the hard work of Hyperion and MorphOS developers to provide NG Amiga platforms by saying it should be on x86. Instead of directing how developers should spend their time and criticising design choices, they should offer their own skills as developers to the AROS project, which targets x86 development, or else contribute money to that project to better it."

Considering the fact that this patronising tone in the first example is practiced by many people on this forum, and that more time is spent arguing on things rather than offering anything constructive, Im surprised the banhammer isn't more widely used. Don't be a jerk, be constructive.
After many years in the Amiga community I have decided to leave the Amiga community permanently. If you have a question about SGI or Sun computers please PM me and I will return your contact as soon as I can.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2014, 08:41:06 PM »
@epollodiabl
Are some people being deliberately rebellious because this is an NG Amiga site now?
is it? how does that show?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 09:08:07 PM by kjmann »

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2014, 08:59:34 PM »
@thread

ok, that's it. enough slagging off on some of the moderators. it stops now. please remember that our policy here specifies that posts which defame amiga.org or its staff is subject to immediate editing and/or deletion. and before anyone suggests this is due to new management, this has been the policy for years and years.

so, this is a formal warning: any further insults, veiled or otherwise, towards moderators will earn infractions. repeated ignoring of this warning gets you a temporary holiday from the site. sorry to sound so strident, but, honestly, this is getting ridiculous.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2014, 09:13:01 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;775986
@thread

ok, that's it. enough slagging off on some of the moderators. it stops now. please remember that our policy here specifies that posts which defame amiga.org or its staff is subject to immediate editing and/or deletion. and before anyone suggests this is due to new management, this has been the policy for years and years.

so, this is a formal warning: any further insults, veiled or otherwise, towards moderators will earn infractions. repeated ignoring of this warning gets you a temporary holiday from the site. sorry to sound so strident, but, honestly, this is getting ridiculous.

-- eliyahu

If you want to get technical.  Rules state not to question moderation. However it also states we are allowed to criticize ideas.

Remember you're in public
Feel free to publicly criticize ideas. If you have a personal comment to or about someone, we don't need to hear it. It doesn't concern us. Take personal items to e-mail. All posts as comments or to the forums are subject to the Moderation Policy.

The idea of picking out people one doesn't agree with for heavy handed moderation IMHO is insane.
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2014, 09:17:12 PM »
See?!?!?!

Guys, if you see me posting about "settling down" or anything like that, you should really REALLY do it.  I'm trying to keep people from going too far so we mods DON'T have to hand out infractions...
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?