Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Hollywood MAL AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: New Amiga RGB To Component Video Adapter FINISHED!!!  (Read 2820 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Gulliver

Re: New Amiga RGB To Component Video Adapter FINISHED!!!
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2015, 02:14:56 PM »
Quote from: kolla;782016
Gulliver's solution offers two male SCART plugs so you would also need a "gender bender" in between. It is really much better to make a SCART free proper Amiga Video to component RGB cable.


Yes, it is much better and cheaper to build the cable on your own.
 
My post was not targetted at offering a solution but to ask about the difference in features/price. So any clue, anyone?
 

Offline jdryyz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Join Date: Mar 2004
  • Posts: 477
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: New Amiga RGB To Component Video Adapter FINISHED!!!
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2015, 03:44:58 PM »
I am was going to say the same as well. Does such an item even exist? Search yielded no matches.

I'm wondering if this simple connecting of lines (from Amiga to SCART then component) will be enough, though. Probably will be for TVs sold in Europe. But then, why use component in this case if you already have a straight path to SCART? Unless, component has some other advantage.

Again, in my experience using the cables and devices already described, I am not getting a component signal output that is compatible with my displays. Something involving the type of synch, I believe.

Perhaps this is how the original poster's concept differs from what is already available.


Quote from: kolla;782016
Gulliver's solution offers two male SCART plugs so you would also need a "gender bender" in between. It is really much better to make a SCART free proper Amiga Video to component RGB cable.
 

Offline Calimeiro

Re: New Amiga RGB To Component Video Adapter FINISHED!!!
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2015, 07:49:57 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;782019
Yes, it is much better and cheaper to build the cable on your own.
 
My post was not targetted at offering a solution but to ask about the difference in features/price. So any clue, anyone?

The difference is the signal. SCART is for 50Hz PAL-TV. Not NTSC 60Hz. The SCART-TV got the circuitry to accept independent r-g-b with single sync line.
When doing Composite or Component Video, your adapter has to deal with correct conversion and proper signalling as all is mixed into one signal. Cvideo is a simple interface and picky to incorrect synchronization. Sync signal has to be improvised. Picture will be blurry in most cases, as the signal get "damped".
Component video carries sync signal via color. You have to make sure, signal is not getting lost during refresh.

As this was "kjmann", who has no creditibillity to me, anouncing this on a.org, lemonamiga, atariage in august and september, without pictures of the "finished and ready to ship" product, i doubt there is anything worth talking about.

Edit: From the few infos on this topic, he bought himself a tv with pal interface. So this is completely useless for north-americans and/or users with NTSC only.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 08:08:29 PM by Calimeiro »
 

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: New Amiga RGB To Component Video Adapter FINISHED!!!
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2015, 08:05:37 PM »
Quote from: Calimeiro;782046
As this was "kjmann", who has no creditibillity to me, anouncing this on a.org, lemonamiga, atariage in august and september, without pictures of the "finished and ready to ship" product, i doubt there is anything worth talking about.

Looks like he was "Last Activity: 12-30-2014 12:58 AM"

Why was he made a moderator here, again?  :roflmao:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos
 

Offline jdryyz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Join Date: Mar 2004
  • Posts: 477
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: New Amiga RGB To Component Video Adapter FINISHED!!!
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2015, 09:22:49 PM »
Somewhere in your post is the root of the problem I am having. I *am* able to send both NTSC and PAL signals to an LCD display that supports both just fine over VGA. I am having some difficulty with using VGA and believe going component will solve that for me.

Right now I am using a typical Amiga RGB to SCART cable. The SCART connection then goes into one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370695549240?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and then from there to the component input on my display. The display does appear to have problems synching with the signal. Can my converter box be modified to send a compatible signal?


Quote from: Calimeiro;782046
The difference is the signal. SCART is for 50Hz PAL-TV. Not NTSC 60Hz. The SCART-TV got the circuitry to accept independent r-g-b with single sync line.
When doing Composite or Component Video, your adapter has to deal with correct conversion and proper signalling as all is mixed into one signal. Cvideo is a simple interface and picky to incorrect synchronization. Sync signal has to be improvised. Picture will be blurry in most cases, as the signal get "damped".
Component video carries sync signal via color. You have to make sure, signal is not getting lost during refresh.

As this was "kjmann", who has no creditibillity to me, anouncing this on a.org, lemonamiga, atariage in august and september, without pictures of the "finished and ready to ship" product, i doubt there is anything worth talking about.

Edit: From the few infos on this topic, he bought himself a tv with pal interface. So this is completely useless for north-americans and/or users with NTSC only.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:30:00 AM by jdryyz »
 

Offline Calimeiro

Re: New Amiga RGB To Component Video Adapter FINISHED!!!
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2015, 12:50:04 PM »
jd, your link to ebay is dead.
 

Offline jdryyz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Join Date: Mar 2004
  • Posts: 477
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: New Amiga RGB To Component Video Adapter FINISHED!!!
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2015, 04:08:31 PM »
Sorry, I will correct that when I get access to eBay again. :)  Before that, I can tell you this is common SCART to Component converter box.

Quote from: Calimeiro;782078
jd, your link to ebay is dead.
 

Offline Calimeiro

Re: New Amiga RGB To Component Video Adapter FINISHED!!!
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2015, 10:06:36 PM »
VGA is not applicable here if it means output from a vga card (31 kHz) versus tv (15 kHz).
There are devices (ab)using vga 15-pin connectors for different signals.
TVs with vga in, do convert themself from 31 to 15 kHz.
Amiga does not provide higher freqs then tv standard.

If your box is like this one attached below, and if it is actively converting regarding both tv standards, you should be fine with amiga rgb-scart -> box -> tv compoment.
 

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: New Amiga RGB To Component Video Adapter FINISHED!!!
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2015, 10:33:04 PM »
Quote from: Calimeiro;782085
Amiga does not provide higher freqs then tv standard.

They do if you have ECS or AGA and use the DblNTSC or DblPAL modes.  Probably not applicable to your discussion here, but just sayin'.  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos
 

Offline jdryyz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Join Date: Mar 2004
  • Posts: 477
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: New Amiga RGB To Component Video Adapter FINISHED!!!
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2015, 11:19:17 PM »
Edit: eBay link above corrected.

~~~~~~
Ahh....but this is a special situation where my Dell U2410 and Sharp TV both support 15Khz over VGA. I felt it was appropriate to mention the VGA part for that reason.

I should also mention that the monochrome output from my Amiga 500 going into the Dell U2410's GREEN component in produces the exact image I wish to get...only it is monochrome, of course.

Yes, that box is similar to my own and it I believed it was going to work also, but no go.

Quote from: Calimeiro;782085
VGA is not applicable here if it means output from a vga card (31 kHz) versus tv (15 kHz).
There are devices (ab)using vga 15-pin connectors for different signals.
TVs with vga in, do convert themself from 31 to 15 kHz.
Amiga does not provide higher freqs then tv standard.

If your box is like this one attached below, and if it is actively converting regarding both tv standards, you should be fine with amiga rgb-scart -> box -> tv compoment.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:48:12 AM by jdryyz »
 

Offline Calimeiro

Re: New Amiga RGB To Component Video Adapter FINISHED!!!
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2015, 02:06:55 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;782086
They do if you have ECS or AGA and use the DblNTSC or DblPAL modes.  Probably not applicable to your discussion here, but just sayin'.  ;)

Of course, you are right, i forgot about these modes. (me standing in the corner of shame)
 

Offline Calimeiro

Re: New Amiga RGB To Component Video Adapter FINISHED!!!
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2015, 02:16:05 PM »
jd, your box looks like the "cheaper" version. What's wrong with the output?
Scambled? Distorted? Moved?

If it's a color mismatch you might check out the internal, there should be some screws for adjusting. You need a small screwdriver with "cross"-tip (i think it is named phillips screwdriver in the states)
You have to open the box for that.

If there is no output at all: Have you checked your rgb->scart cable?
 

Offline jdryyz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Join Date: Mar 2004
  • Posts: 477
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: New Amiga RGB To Component Video Adapter FINISHED!!!
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2015, 04:55:10 PM »
I get no picture at all on the two displays that I tried. But, there is a "signal indicator" symbol that flashes briefly on both displays as if it is *trying* to sync a signal.

I was curious about the image of the box you showed. I have seen that one before available from a UK dealer. See here:

http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/32863-scart-rgb-yuv-convertor-csy-2100-cyp.html

And, yes, for a higher price. Since I already paid a decent amount for the "cheap" one with the full expectation that it would work, I would be hesitant to purchase a more expensive one. If I only had some reassurance from other user's success, that would change my mind. Then I can return my box for a refund.

My Amiga to SCART cable works fine with my SCART to HDMI box. I have no reason to suspect it, but I know there can be differences in the way the cables are made.


Quote from: Calimeiro;782132
jd, your box looks like the "cheaper" version. What's wrong with the output?
Scambled? Distorted? Moved?

If it's a color mismatch you might check out the internal, there should be some screws for adjusting. You need a small screwdriver with "cross"-tip (i think it is named phillips screwdriver in the states)
You have to open the box for that.

If there is no output at all: Have you checked your rgb->scart cable?
 

Offline Calimeiro

Re: New Amiga RGB To Component Video Adapter FINISHED!!!
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2015, 08:32:44 PM »
Potential pitfalls:

SCART-cable is missing signal on of the following pins
16  rgb mode
8   a/v selector
20  composite sync (voltage too high)

check with voltmeter if possible.

////////////////

Cable might be ok, but miggy has corrosion on pin
10
22
23

///////////////////

Please check if cable has resistors to those lines for voltage correction, if there is no resistor swap cable for better one.


Well, and finally, the box might be produced in october (during play-offs) :lol:
Check with other machine than your miggy.

I don't want to force you to by a new, not until it is clear what's the culprit here :)

Quote
I get no picture at all on the two displays that I tried. But, there is a  "signal indicator" symbol that flashes briefly on both displays as if  it is *trying* to sync a signal.
It's most likely they are waiting for signal from box (box to display acknowleged) but box don't get signal from input.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:40:13 PM by Calimeiro »
 

Offline psxphill

Re: New Amiga RGB To Component Video Adapter FINISHED!!!
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2015, 08:49:03 PM »
Quote from: jdryyz;782025
Again, in my experience using the cables and devices already described, I am not getting a component signal output that is compatible with my displays. Something involving the type of synch, I believe.

 Many modern TV's cannot handle 240p. If you set your workbench disk to an interlaced 15khz mode and that works, then you'll need something that scan converts 240p to 480p.
 
 It caused problems for some wii virtual console & ps3 psn games.
 
 You can't convert to 480i because it would upset the timing.