Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A1200/A600 4xIDE Interface

AuthorTopic: "New" amiga hardware  (Read 13636 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline agami

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Join Date: Sep 2010
  • Posts: 320
  • Country: au
  • Total likes: 0
  • Gender: Male
    • Twitter
Re: "New" amiga hardware
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 02:52:42 AM »
None of these guys seem to have heard of blogging (micro or otherwise).
No matter if you a re working on something 5 days a week or 1 day a month, in today's day and age you can do a quick post at the end of each working day.

And this goes for the big boys too; Take out the hush clauses out of your regurgitated and antiquated contracts. You're dealing with a community, not a marketplace. You should know this BTW because only a community would support a pricing model that no marketplace would.

Yes I snuck in another jab at the pricing, sue me.
I hope there is a veritable deluge of news and info out of Amiwest this year, otherwise what the f@$& is it all for.
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1
 

Offline magnetic

Re: "New" amiga hardware
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 03:22:34 AM »
Quote from: agami;771150

I hope there is a veritable deluge of news and info out of Amiwest this year, otherwise what the f@$& is it all for.


Amiwest is about like minded people getting together and having fun. The only place in usa where amigans can get together. News from the show is not important to me especially concerning amiga os as its usually propaganda and nonsense. (such as gallium talk, multi core support, and my ALL TIME FAVORITE the Amiga Laptop "Already running OS4" which was a complete fabrication to dissuade amigans from having an awesome NG amiga laptop with Morphos and powermac)
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs
 

Offline matthey

Re: "New" amiga hardware
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 03:39:50 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;771143
Jens S for Individual is certainly NOT on apollo team! lmao. These guys are working daily on this code from what I hear.


Jens Künzer - Apollo Team
Jens Schönfeld - Individual computers

There has been some friendly constructive communication between Jens Schönfeld and Gunnar of the Apollo Team on the German forum http://www.a1k.org/. I am not aware of any agreements but future cooperation is not out of the question. JensS could use more powerful 68k fpga processors for Amiga accelerators, his Chameleon experiment and Clone-A prototypes use Altera fpgas which the Apollo Team prefers and I believe they live fairly close to each other in Germany. I believe JensS was planning on ARM or MIPS for the main CPU in Clone-A before the latest communication with Gunnar. JensS seemed to be surprised at how much more powerful of a 68k fpga CPU is possible than the TG68. Any reluctance he has may disappear with a successful Phoenix core though. A few users of the fpga Arcade and Chameleon are already asking if they will be able to use the Phoenix core. That's only going to increase if the Phoenix core lives up to it's hype.
 

Offline wrath of khan

Re: "New" amiga hardware
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 12:13:10 PM »
Quote from: matthey;771154
Jens Künzer - Apollo Team
Jens Schönfeld - Individual computers

There has been some friendly constructive communication between Jens Schönfeld and Gunnar of the Apollo Team on the German forum http://www.a1k.org/. I am not aware of any agreements but future cooperation is not out of the question. JensS could use more powerful 68k fpga processors for Amiga accelerators, his Chameleon experiment and Clone-A prototypes use Altera fpgas which the Apollo Team prefers and I believe they live fairly close to each other in Germany. I believe JensS was planning on ARM or MIPS for the main CPU in Clone-A before the latest communication with Gunnar. JensS seemed to be surprised at how much more powerful of a 68k fpga CPU is possible than the TG68. Any reluctance he has may disappear with a successful Phoenix core though. A few users of the fpga Arcade and Chameleon are already asking if they will be able to use the Phoenix core. That's only going to increase if the Phoenix core lives up to it's hype.

I thought Clone-A was a dead project, but I never heard of any reason save a vague reference to some legal issues, as to why it was cancelled. Are you implying that Clone -A is still in development?
 

Offline matthey

Re: "New" amiga hardware
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 12:44:03 PM »
Quote from: wrath of khan;771185
I thought Clone-A was a dead project, but I never heard of any reason save a vague reference to some legal issues, as to why it was cancelled. Are you implying that Clone -A is still in development?


I believe the Clone-A concept is still alive. The Indivision and Chameleon projects are offshoots of the developed technology. Clone-A is not necessarily another fpga board. JensS has kept much of his ideas secret so they are not stolen but we have seen hints. He seemed to be leaning toward ARM or MIPS for the CPU (probably with software emulation of other processors) and it likely would be Amiga compatible (as well as other systems), probably with an fpga (for chipset emulations?). He has talked about targeting the masses and not just the narrow Amiga niche. It could have specific uses targeted at particular modern users and could come in many forms (board, tablet, laptop, portable gaming system). I can't help but think that it would be somewhat similar to the fpgaArcade but with differentiating advantages of some kind. There is no guarantee that it will ever see the light of day but much like the Natami, it's premature to call it dead.
 

Offline Lord Aga

Re: "New" amiga hardware
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 03:05:33 PM »
It is very much alive. As a matter of fact, you can see parts of it today. For some time already, actually...
Z.B. Indy ECS is a "clone" of Denise, with extra features of course. Maybe people don't know this, but when you stick it in an A500 you don't need the original chip anymore (unless you want to use RGB).
So part by part, we have reverse ingeneering, and improving. And not only by Individual Computers. A few teams work on new Amiga hardware, new parts, spare parts. Things are looking quite well :)
Glory to the loud-mouthed Scotsman !
 

Offline Xtal

Re: "New" amiga hardware
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 03:32:21 PM »
Quote from: agami;771150
None of these guys seem to have heard of blogging (micro or otherwise).
No matter if you a re working on something 5 days a week or 1 day a month, in today's day and age you can do a quick post at the end of each working day.

---

Well, we have a life too. Designing software and hardware is not done in a weekend. Why should we publish all our ideas and weird mistakes to the public that just longs to see new stuff created with two decades old hardware? Most of us do this for fun and not for profit, and yet, people complain.

Shesh, most of the time spent is working out flaws not documented from C= and make it future-proof.

And no, I'm not going to promise you bells'n'whistles nor functionality of the "free beer" Haynie jumper :-P

:furious:
 

Offline Nlandas

Re: "New" amiga hardware
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 08:45:52 PM »
Quote from: wrath of khan;771185
I thought Clone-A was a dead project, but I never heard of any reason save a vague reference to some legal issues, as to why it was cancelled. Are you implying that Clone -A is still in development?


Jens has not officially killed Clone-A. Though I am not certain what stage of development it is at. He's a really nice person and willing to answer polite questions. My impression was that he's still considering it after he's done with some projects that he feels have a better chance of helping people with existing hardware and selling.

-Nyle
I think, Therefore - Amiga....
 

Offline NorthWay

Re: "New" amiga hardware
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 10:21:26 PM »
Quote from: Nlandas;771231
Jens has not officially killed Clone-A. Though I am not certain what stage of development it is at.

From what I have read he seemed to be more or less done, but he had some bright idea he wanted to incorporate to make it sell better/wider that was so "obvious" that he wouldn't want to reveal it so that others could do the same. Plus he is probably not sure if it is an economically viable project - I would guess it it expensive to produce.

(As for "obvious" - think Tetris: Once people had seen it they could make a version in a day or in 512 bytes and it was still great stuff. That is the kind of idea you don't want to escape.)
 

Offline wrath of khan

Re: "New" amiga hardware
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 11:55:48 PM »
@all. Thanks for the answers guys. I recall reading a few threads about clone-A'  previously and they mostly implied the project was stone dead.
Glad to hear it may yet see the light of day. Interesting that boits of the tech are in the indivision etc.
 

Offline kickstart

Re: "New" amiga hardware
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 12:16:07 AM »
Maybe some people is still waiting for a release of walker.
a1200 060
 

Offline magnetic

Re: "New" amiga hardware
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2014, 01:28:06 AM »
Quote from: kickstart;771246
Maybe some people is still waiting for a release of walker.


What? What do you mean? Its not coming? I have a place in my studio ready for it.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs
 

Offline agami

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Join Date: Sep 2010
  • Posts: 320
  • Country: au
  • Total likes: 0
  • Gender: Male
    • Twitter
Re: "New" amiga hardware
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 03:38:28 AM »
Quote from: Xtal;771198

Well, we have a life too. Designing software and hardware is not done in a weekend. Why should we publish all our ideas and weird mistakes to the public that just longs to see new stuff created with two decades old hardware? Most of us do this for fun and not for profit, and yet, people complain.

Shesh, most of the time spent is working out flaws not documented from C= and make it future-proof.

And no, I'm not going to promise you bells'n'whistles nor functionality of the "free beer" Haynie jumper :-P

:furious:


140 characters at the end of a day of work does not take away from your life. I never suggested that development is done in a single weekend. You should publish your ideas and weird mistakes to the public because it is the 21st century and that's how things are done now. As a person who still maintains decades old hardware I'd like to know that someone out there is working on things, bit by bit, working on problems, dealing with lack of documentation. It's called the demystification of development. Especially if you do it for fun, it makes for a richer development ecosystem. And it's not that hard to ignore all the complaints.

Who said you need to make any promises. It's just progress reports, they don't have to be "official" media releases; I'm doing this. This didn't work. I'll try this next. etc. The most recent progress reports from Toni Wilen on WinUAE are an excellent example.
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1
 

Offline LoadWB

Re: "New" amiga hardware
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 06:28:22 AM »
Quote from: agami;771256
You should publish your ideas and weird mistakes to the public because it is the 21st century and that's how things are done now.


Your assessment and requirement are both subjective, at best.
 

Offline spirantho

Re: "New" amiga hardware
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2014, 07:15:30 AM »
@agami

It's not really practical to do that level of detail, and I don't think it should be done.

For one thing, the blog would be the most boring ever. Imagine it being like this:
"Today I made no progress. Tracking a bug."
"Still tracking a bug."
"another day. where is it?"
"Found a missing equals sign. Hurrah!"
"Still doesn't work. D'oh!"
"Ripped out huge chunk of code. Too much like spaghetti."
"Bug gone. Now had to write data structures for input handler."
"Wrote input handler"
"Found bug and squashed it"

It'd be a proper yawn-fest, so nobody would read it anyway.

Also:
Quote

You should publish your ideas and weird mistakes to the
public because it is the 21st century and that's how things are done
now.


I don't know of anybody who blogs to this level, and even if someone does, it doesn't mean the rest of us have to.

Nearly all Amiga work is done part time now. You don't want to see lots of blogs saying "Nothing got done today", but that is exactly what you would see.

Also, I don't see why a developer "should" do anything. The developer is not employed by a user, nor is he behooven to him on any way. If Toni Willen does it then great, that's nice, but that's just his personal choice.

Put simply, a developer can do whatever he wants in the manner he wants, it is not for the user to decide what he must and must not do. Trying to force rules and regimes on people who are basically just doing it for a hobby and love of the platform more than anything else is just going to push what developers we have left away.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!