Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Toni Wilen adding PPC emulation in WinUAE?  (Read 28595 times)

Description:

Offline Retrofan

• Show only replies by Retrofan
Re: Toni Wilen adding PPC emulation in WinUAE?
« Reply #134 from previous page: August 18, 2014, 10:11:21 PM »
Quote from: Themamboman;771125
Is anyone having problems reaching the EAB website?  I saw that beta 12 was available this morning but when I went back to download, it was gone.

I think Toni said that PearPC's powerpc cpu was a dead end and it didn't sound like he was going to try to get the JIT version working.  I think he's going to try to get QEMU's powerpc working.

Beta 12 is here http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=970403&postcount=481

Now that you comment about QEMU, I believe more donations should be done as it looks as a difficult task with a lot of work. He wants it to run right and fast and it seems it has to be him alone to make it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:19:53 PM by Retrofan »
A1200, Lateral 32GB CF, internal Dvd, ACA 1230/56 with an MKII Fast ATA at 9,5Mb/s, another A1200 BPPC project in progress (more or less), and posting from my own/better C64x in my Tv using Hdmi.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #135 on: August 19, 2014, 02:42:56 AM »
Quote from: Retrofan;771018
The beta 11 (that finally can run OS4.1 for example) has been released: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=970118&postcount=457

Remember this is Beta and it's "Just working" for the fist time.

Are you sure about your statement above?  

I read through the thread on EAB and all I could see is that one or two people got the AmigaOS4.x flash screen to show up for a few seconds, before the emulation crashed, froze up, or went black screen.  I have not read that anyone has gotten AmigaOS4.0, or 4.1 for Classic running on WinUAE yet, but maybe I need to read the thread again, or maybe someone just posted some new information today that I have not seen yet.

If you are not running AmigaOS4.x on WinUAE yourself, please be careful not to spread false rumors.  I would hate to see several people go out and buy AmigaOS4.1 for Classic thinking that they are going to be able to run it on WinUAE, only to find out that it is not running yet, or worse that it might never be able to run completely bug free on WinUAE.  Not trying to dispute what you wrote, just saying that when I read that thread, I did not see any definite claims that AmigaOS4.x is now running completely on WinUAE.

I suggest caution and patience, until we have several confirmed reports from different people who have been successful in running AmigaOS4.1 for Classic on WinUAE.

Edit:  Well, I guess that thread is moving too fast for me.  Maybe some people are running AmigaOS4.x on WinUAE.  Too much info for me to keep up with, since I am not really interested in running AmigaOS4.x on WinUAE at this time.  Maybe in a year or two that will change, but for now, I think I will stick to using my X1000 for running AmigaOS4.x.  Forgive me for doubting your statement about anyone successfully running AmigaOS4.x on WinUAE.  I still don't know how successful or how fast it is under emulation, but I imagine that if/when it becomes as fast, or faster than running in on a SAM system, then we will see more people using WinUAE to run AmigaOS4.x.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:52:12 AM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #136 on: August 19, 2014, 10:49:29 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;771149

I read through the thread on EAB and all I could see is that one or two people got the AmigaOS4.x flash screen to show up for a few seconds, before the emulation crashed, froze up, or went black screen.  I have not read that anyone has gotten AmigaOS4.0, or 4.1 for Classic running on WinUAE yet, but maybe I need to read the thread again, or maybe someone just posted some new information today that I have not seen yet.

If you are not running AmigaOS4.x on WinUAE yourself, please be careful not to spread false rumors.  I would hate to see several people go out and buy AmigaOS4.1 for Classic thinking that they are going to be able to run it on WinUAE, only to find out that it is not running yet, or worse that it might never be able to run completely bug free on WinUAE.

It does not matter.

I dont think you are going to see that because running PPC OS in WinUAE has only limited interest. AmigaOS 3 has more software and 68k emulation is much faster when WinUAE is concerned. OS4 (and MorphOS) is just filling small niche there for Amiga users. OS4 is not going to hit big on WinUAE and it is more like cheap choice of platform to OS4 community in the future.

Anyway, it does run on WinUAE, to some extent. As long as unimplemented PPC instructions are not executed in emulation it works. You can boot to full Workbench and run some software.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:53:14 AM by itix »
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #137 on: August 19, 2014, 01:17:19 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;771149

If you are not running AmigaOS4.x on WinUAE yourself, please be careful not to spread false rumors.  I would hate to see several people go out and buy AmigaOS4.1 for Classic thinking that they are going to be able to run it on WinUAE, only to find out that it is not running yet, or worse that it might never be able to run completely bug free on WinUAE.  Not trying to dispute what you wrote, just saying that when I read that thread, I did not see any definite claims that AmigaOS4.x is now running completely on WinUAE.

I suggest caution and patience, until we have several confirmed reports from different people who have been successful in running AmigaOS4.1 for Classic on WinUAE.

Edit:  Well, I guess that thread is moving too fast for me.  Maybe some people are running AmigaOS4.x on WinUAE.  Too much info for me to keep up with, since I am not really interested in running AmigaOS4.x on WinUAE at this time.  Maybe in a year or two that will change, but for now, I think I will stick to using my X1000 for running AmigaOS4.x.  Forgive me for doubting your statement about anyone successfully running AmigaOS4.x on WinUAE.  I still don't know how successful or how fast it is under emulation, but I imagine that if/when it becomes as fast, or faster than running in on a SAM system, then we will see more people using WinUAE to run AmigaOS4.x.

Did you even read the change notes?

Beta 11:

- P5_AMIGA_RESET CSMK3/CSPPC/BPPC bit can be only changed if P5_SELF_RESET is cleared first.
- Never use normal Z3 autoconfig mapping if Blizzard board is emulated to reduce address space conflicts with Blizzard RAM mirror at 0x48000000. Note that this is impossible config, there is no way to have any Z3 boards with BPPC in real world.
- Blizzard PPC rom name renamed to blizzardppc_060.rom and added blizzardppc_040.rom. 68040 and 68060 variants have different (and incompatible) flash rom contents.
- 68000 + no cycle exact and no "more compatible" used wrong memory access method. (b9)
- RTD instruction was set as 68000 compatible (should be 68010+). Incorrect since the beginning.
- Accelerator board ROM select menus didn't select anything.
- Added full CyberStorm MK1 image ($F00000 ROM code is 68060-only), added another 68040 compatible ROM that simulates boards with boot rom jumper disabled or boot rom chip removed. (Original non-flash based boards had separate ROM chip for boot and diag ROMs and boot was only installed if CPU was 68060)
- CyberStorm MK1 SCSI works again.
- Automatically update accelerator board ROM settings when board type is changed in GUI.
- PPC BAT register handling fixed (Technically not emulation bug but OS bug, PPC documentation says '... BEPI and BRPN fields must have at least as many low-order zeros as there are ones in BL.', BEPI and BRPN needs to be masked with BL instead of trusting software doing as documentation says..)
- Added missing PearPC divwu, divwuo, addco, subfco PPC instructions. (Variants of already existing instructions).

Last two updates allows AmigaOS 4.1 Classic to boot.

Above was direct from Toni
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline IconX

• Show only replies by IconX
« Reply #138 on: August 19, 2014, 02:03:01 PM »
Would it be possible for the emulation to be modified so that it ignores the instruction from OS4 to disable the 68k? And if so, would that allow OS4 to run 68k software without needing to run UAE for OS4 within WinUAE?

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2014, 02:51:51 PM »
Any version of OS 4.1 will work?  Sam440 or even A1?  (Dunno much about os4).  I have a friend somewhat close to me that has OS4.1
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #140 on: August 19, 2014, 02:52:52 PM »
Quote from: TheMagicM;771193
Any version of OS 4.1 will work?  Sam440 or even A1?  (Dunno much about os4).  I have a friend somewhat close to me that has OS4.1

No 4.1 Classic is the only version that will work.
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #141 on: August 19, 2014, 02:59:38 PM »
Quote from: Terminills;771194
No 4.1 Classic is the only version that will work.

Ok..well looks like I wont be trying it out afterall.  I'll monitor progress from afar.  :-)
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #142 on: September 02, 2014, 06:53:06 PM »
@thread

looks like toni is moving to QEMU faster than expected. here's his latest update over on EAB:

QEMU PPC is still work in progress (by Frode and me), QEMU-side is not  yet included. It run for the first time few days ago. It is not stable  enough yet but hopefully soon...
for those of us who've been playing with PPC support on our PCs, this is great news. OS4.1 runs fine once you disable petunia, but painfully slow. QEMU should help address this somewhat. i can't wait to have my laptop running SUSE, AOS4, and AROS with reasonable performance. sweeeeet.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #143 on: September 08, 2014, 05:02:27 PM »
@thread

yet more progress on QEMU integration from toni over on EAB:

Inter-thread messaging bottle-neck is now mostly gone.
cybppc.device (CSPPC built-in SCSI) works under OS4
Media Toolbox works.
Installing works.
Installing still takes forever (about 1 hour). See below. (But as I mentioned previously, boot image fade is now really fast)

Need to be fixed before public version:

All timers seem to run really fast (20x+), key repeat is instant, floppy  clicks really fast. Probably (and hopefully) explains remaining  performance problems. (It is possible huge number of timer interrupts  takes most of remaining CPU time..)

QEMU seems to have multiple timer emulation modes but they are all quite difficult to understand..

"Unfortunately" PPC CPU has built-in counter + interrupt when it  underflows, count rate is bus clock / 4, apparently this counter is used  for OS4 timer.device. Possibly detection of bus clock is also wrong.       
-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline klesterjr

• Show only replies by klesterjr
« Reply #144 on: September 17, 2014, 02:03:03 PM »
A (very) quick video recorded this morning using VLC of 4.1 booting via WinUAE. I don't really do much in the video, but it gives you an idea of what it runs like speedwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k_F6CTKAbg&list=UUBhXSqRJLZ-VKglVReGk3AQ

Offline carvedeye

• Show only replies by carvedeye
« Reply #145 on: September 17, 2014, 02:44:46 PM »
Are there any working betas available to try, if there is how does you set it up with PPC?
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #146 on: September 17, 2014, 03:03:42 PM »
@klesterjr

Nice video!

Offline kolla

« Reply #147 on: September 17, 2014, 03:29:52 PM »
Appears to be well fast enough for normal use :)
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline Themamboman

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Themamboman
« Reply #148 on: September 17, 2014, 03:44:03 PM »
Quote from: carvedeye;773233
Are there any working betas available to try, if there is how does you set it up with PPC?

Yes, beta 16 here:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=975726&postcount=638

QEMU PPC files here:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=75062

For tutorials, read the threads on EAB board, or this post:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=74776

Offline klesterjr

• Show only replies by klesterjr
« Reply #149 on: September 17, 2014, 10:18:35 PM »
Quote from: kolla;773236
Appears to be well fast enough for normal use :)

Definitely! Now let's sell out AmigaKit's stock of 4.1 Classic! :D

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1035