Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Steve Jobs parked in Handicapped spaces and kicked old ladies?  (Read 8597 times)

Description:

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
Re: Steve Jobs parked in Handicapped spaces and kicked old ladies?
« Reply #89 from previous page: May 08, 2014, 02:18:48 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;764027
With all due respect, this has to be the dumbest comment in the thread, and it has plenty of competition!

The point was that NeXT was the first proper object oriented operating system, designed that way from the ground up. As such building a complex application in NeXT was (and still is, in many respects) much easier and quicker than on competing systems.

If it wasn't for that ease and simplicity, the web may have taken much longer to be developed, and possibly not developed and certainly not in the open form we know today!

Oh if only there'd been someone who could have conceived of hyper-media in a networked computer environment with a point and click interface.  Thank God that Steve Jobs invented it all in 1983.  Prior to that, we didn't even compute, we just beat rocks against each other hoping there was enough iron or tin in them to cause a spark that might leap to another rock, and so-on.  Then the son of heaven descended upon us, having caused computers to literally condense from the very essence of his thoughts and graced us with a user interface literally no-one had ever dreamed of before.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2014, 02:31:20 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJDv-zdhzMY

(That's a guy who didn't mentally abuse people, park in handicapped spots, throw tantrums like a %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!lord, steal from people, or abandon his children.  When I use a computer these days I'll consider his legacy, not that %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!ing dildo Jobs.)
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline hishamk

« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2014, 02:31:51 PM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;764033
Oh if only there'd been someone who could have conceived of hyper-media in a networked computer environment with a point and click interface.  Thank God that Steve Jobs invented it all in 1983.  Prior to that, we didn't even compute, we just beat rocks against each other hoping there was enough iron or tin in them to cause a spark that might leap to another rock, and so-on.  Then the son of heaven descended upon us, having caused computers to literally condense from the very essence of his thoughts and graced us with a user interface literally no-one had ever dreamed of before.

Huh? Who said anything about Steve Jobs coming up with that? Bloodline was referring to the OOness of Next(Open)Step. Jobs was a fan of such an approach. I recall reading that Jobs mentioned that out of his visit to Xerox, he realised years later that not the GUI or networking was the most important aspect - rather it was the OO paradigm it was all built upon and the demo of Smalltalk-80 he was given.

No one said he invented it. He just wrapped up awesome concepts in a pretty cool package which thankfully survived into today's OS X / iOS systems.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 02:35:40 PM by hishamk »
2x A1000, 2x A2000, 1x A3000, 4x A1200, 3x A500, 1x CDTV, 1x CD32, 2x Pegasos II, 1x EFIKA

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2014, 02:45:26 PM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;764033
Zing, sir.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2014, 03:04:59 PM »
With all due respect, this has to be the dumbest comment in the thread, and it has plenty of competition!

The point was that NeXT was the first proper object oriented operating system, designed that way from the ground up. As such building a complex application in NeXT was (and still is, in many respects) much easier and quicker than on competing systems.

If it wasn't for that ease and simplicity, the web may have taken much longer to be developed, and possibly not developed and certainly not in the open form we know today!

Lately, all you do is rabidly defend work that is a derivative of earlier research.
First Linux, and now this.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2014, 03:31:36 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;764040
Lately, all you do is rabidly defend work that is a derivative of earlier research.
First Linux, and now this.

Um... Everything is derivative of earlier research. That's called development of technology.

I will defend something if people are delutionally being unfair about it. My only irrational hatred is towards Java, I'm quite sure Java is a great language and VM now but I just don't like it :)

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2014, 03:46:28 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;764042
Um... Everything is derivative of earlier research. That's called development of technology.

I will defend something if people are delutionally being unfair about it. My only irrational hatred is towards Java, I'm quite sure Java is a great language and VM now but I just don't like it :)

I actually agree with you on these points.
And while I don't particularly care about Java, Shockwave/Flash really pisses me off.
HTML5  just works so much better.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2014, 03:53:39 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;764042
Java is a perfectly fine language. Unfortunately, it's a perfectly fine language that's chained to a terribly crappy runtime library and VM... :/
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2014, 04:03:59 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;764045
Java is a perfectly fine language. Unfortunately, it's a perfectly fine language that's chained to a terribly crappy runtime library and VM... :/
As I said my hatred is probably irrational, but coming from C/C++ and Obj-C I find Java horrible. I feel like I'm coding with boxing gloves on when I use it.

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2014, 04:15:12 PM »

Its amazing how some people have to use arguments as "if this and that had or had not happened, then this and that would not have been, thus this and that..."

Look Steve Jobs was not the second coming of Jesus.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2014, 04:33:34 PM »
Quote from: yssing;764049

Its amazing how some people have to use arguments as "if this and that had or had not happened, then this and that would not have been, thus this and that..."

Welcome to to the concept of cause and effect.

Look Steve Jobs was not the second coming of Jesus.

He might have been, I don't know, I'm not a Christian... But I honestly couldn't care less what Steve Jobs was or wasn't. I'm arguing about the importance of NeXTStep in the history of computing.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2014, 05:37:28 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;764045

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/11/06/meet-art-part-1-the-new-super-fast-android-runtime-google-has-been-working-on-in-secret-for-over-2-years-debuts-in-kitkat/
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2014, 06:16:22 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;764057
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/11/06/meet-art-part-1-the-new-super-fast-android-runtime-google-has-been-working-on-in-secret-for-over-2-years-debuts-in-kitkat/
Precisely. In order to make it usable, Google just wound up throwing out everything but the language and building their own alternative from scratch. That tells you a lot about the library and VM, I think.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2014, 02:08:53 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;764061
Precisely. In order to make it usable, Google just wound up throwing out everything but the language and building their own alternative from scratch. That tells you a lot about the library and VM, I think.

Indeed it does.  It's wore bizarre really because it (the library) doesn't really provide anything that other libraries such as Cocoa, Qt or .NET provide yet it's a slow as molasses, bloated steaming pile of crap compared to those.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2014, 02:16:05 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;764052
Welcome to to the concept of cause and effect.

He might have been, I don't know, I'm not a Christian... But I honestly couldn't care less what Steve Jobs was or wasn't. I'm arguing about the importance of NeXTStep in the history of computing.

Had Apple not bought NeXT then NeXTStep probably would have sadly faded into irrelevance like the Amiga, BeOS and Plan9.

But we'll never know.

One day I'll give ObjC yet another chance and it will finally click into place and I'll begin to love it. Maybe. :)

Steve Jobs was a dick. So are the CEO's of every other Fortune500 company. That's what makes them the best at what they do. There's a very fine line between successful CEO and Sociopath.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2014, 08:27:11 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;764097
Had Apple not bought NeXT then NeXTStep probably would have sadly faded into irrelevance like the Amiga, BeOS and Plan9.

But we'll never know.

One could argue (and I will, ;) ) that had Apple not bought NeXTStep, then probably apple would have faded into irrelevance.

The alternative on the table at the time as BeOS, but that lacked any real software at the time, had no real world usage and wasn't a mature software platform. Plus the NeXTStep deal meant that Apple got Steve Jobs back, and he was the only arsehole capable of fighting Bill Gate.

One day I'll give ObjC yet another chance and it will finally click into place and I'll begin to love it. Maybe. :)

Once you get over the syntax (which took me months), it really is awesome... That said all my recent work has been in Obj-C++, which gives me the best of both worlds :)