Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Beginner Programing  (Read 4780 times)

Description:

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
Re: Beginner Programing
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 10, 2004, 02:41:38 AM »
BASIC teaches you how to write algorythms without knowing anything about types.  Perl is decent for that, although it's a real pain to debug, and completely innappropriate for large programs, like the awful BBS I have to maintain.  I don't even know if Perl is available for Amiga.

I'd recommend starting off with plain ANSI C.  There's lots of books availabe, it compiles everywhere, and just about any ANSI C book starts you right off with how computers compile programs, treat datatypes properly, and produce modular code, which is nearly impossible in BASIC.  Also, ANSI C is a rock-bottom standard, so many books treat you like a beginner and don't bowl you over with technical information.  C also has tons of libraries that make jumping into graphics and sound very easy, like SDL and Allegro.  They're not very efficient or fast, but you can do cool stuff very quickly.  I really wish I hadn't relied so much on AMOS early on.

Most importantly of all, GET A DECENT IDE!!!  Notepad and Emacs drive me insane.  I need something that color-codes commands, checks syntax, and matches brackets.  I use TextPad or EditPlus.  Later on, you can move on to a real editor.  On the PC, High-end compilers like MS Visual C tend to put a lot of C++ stuff in their IDE, and are wicked expensive.  If you're talking about *only* producing code on the Amiga, I have no clue.

There's many reasons C hasn't changed much since it was introduced.  It's the language to learn.   ;-)

Offline Ferry

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2004, 08:27:22 AM »
Hi Melott.

I'm interested in joining the group too  and learn C.

Saluditos,

Ferrán.
Amiga user since 1988
AOS4 Betatester
Member of ATO Spain
PiStorm project collaborator (Docs)
A1200/060/256MB/SCSI
A1 XE-G4/933
A500+/PiStorm

Offline smithy

• Show only replies by smithy
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2004, 12:37:15 PM »
The OS4,  MOS & AROS  definately need more programmers to work on apps so it's good to see that there is some interest.

Anybody learning to program should forget C, and focus on C++ instead.  Some of the comments have suggested the opposite, because C++ is more complex.  This is true, but the complicated language features aren't going to be even remotely touched upon by a beginner anyway.

The C++ features that a beginner will learn, such as I/O and the string class, are far simpler than C's equivalents anyway, and C, for the most part, is compilable in a C compiler.

As to the people who suggested learning Java - how is that going to benefit Amiga-ish systems?!  If you know C++ you can learn any other language in no time, as it's the big beast of programming languages, but it wouldn't be the case with Java which is far simpler.

Offline smithy

• Show only replies by smithy
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2004, 12:41:24 PM »
As for mentors, I'm not sure they are needed either.  There is no point in people writing C++ tutorials when there are hundreds of excellent textbooks that do the same thing.

For Amiga programming, the ROM Kernel Manuals and tonnes of examples and articles on the Amiga developer CD 2.1 is more than enough too.

There are the "Developers" forums here on amiga.org that new developers can use to ask questions.  I will pay more attention to these in future and help where I can.

Offline AmiGR

• Show only replies by AmiGR
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2004, 02:21:15 PM »
I'd like to join the C group as well. I have some
limited programming experience in C and I have been
involved in a small and simple project (a small
shootemup using allegro with my sister, it was
never really finished). I'd like to get deeper:)
- AMiGR

Evil, biased mod from hell.

Offline AmiGR

• Show only replies by AmiGR
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2004, 02:22:55 PM »
Well, I started off with C it personally suits my mindset far more
than the OO languages.
- AMiGR

Evil, biased mod from hell.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2004, 04:27:30 PM »
So is "C" going to be the language you'all are going to use?   That would be great... btw, there are GREAT books on C programming, even for a BEGINNER!! :)  I have a old one which is still made called "Teach Yourself C Programming in 21 days".   Get it.  Trust me, you WILL be coding in 21 days or less!!!

If you do C, I want to join, that way I can learn this damn MUI thing.   :-)
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline Tronn

• Show only replies by Tronn
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2004, 04:52:57 PM »
I'd really like to learn C++, which I have been doing slowly for a while now, but doing a project in C with a group of other people sounds like an excellent way to learn. I'd like in if it's OK.

I haven't got an Amiga at the moment, A1 + OS4 being saved for, so will you be starting with simple , cross platform programs?

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don\\\'t!

Offline Kent

• Show only replies by Kent
    • http://amiga.org/modules/mylinks/visit.php?lid=87
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2004, 05:01:41 PM »
I'd love to join in on C++ to help reinforce my knowledge of pointers.  I also don't have an Amiga but would be willing to use UAE for development.  I've already got quite a few languages I know but something like this would help fine tune my abilities.

:pint:
I love the modern age world of this middle age crises America... all these SUVs driving around like there\\\'s gas to spare and then some.

http://www.RequestFocus.com

W. Kent Seaton ~ RequestFocus.com

Offline DanDude

• Show only replies by DanDude
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2004, 02:58:58 AM »
I would like to use SAS/C all over again--god, I haven't that in ages!  I'm currently using BlitzBasic2 ATM.   :-)
#AmIRC
mesra.dal.net or hotspeed.dal.net
irc2.beyondirc.net

Offline melottTopic starter

• Show only replies by melott
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2004, 03:50:12 AM »
Well guys ......

Those who wanted to join a 'C' group nows the
chance.  
I had origonally wanted to start a 'Basic' group
but those that said they were interested,, well
who knows what happened. I didn't get any
feed back           " so 'C' it is."
My reasons for not wanting 'C' is LACK of support.
I have seen many 'C' questions asked here and
beg for answers and not get them. My concern is
all this supposed support just disappears when
you NEED it.

Anyone interested  .. PMail or EMail me

By the way .. does anyone know of a good EMail
handler??    (Yahoo doesn't seem to work)
Stealth ONE  8-)

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2004, 08:26:12 AM »

smithy wrote:
As for mentors, I'm not sure they are needed either.  There is no point in people writing C++ tutorials when there are hundreds of excellent textbooks that do the same thing.

Mentors really would be there for guidance and helping with problems more than writing tutorials I'd think.  Books are good, but being able to talk to a real-life person about the specific problem you are having, is much better.

For Amiga programming, the ROM Kernel Manuals and tonnes of examples and articles on the Amiga developer CD 2.1 is more than enough too.

the Dev CD is a good source of info, however the quality and quantity of information (particularly more recent stuff) varies quite considerably.

Also AmigaGuide is not the ideal format for the RKMs.  The RKMs are an amazing source of info, The Amiga "Bible" almost, but they're best in hardcopy (which is unfortunately difficult to find), and this electronic version seriously hinders usefulness IMO.

There are the "Developers" forums here on amiga.org that new developers can use to ask questions.  I will pay more attention to these in future and help where I can.

Thats good to know, I'll also give a hand where I can (but I'm not very advanced myself). it would be best though if they had a couple of people on thier yahoogroup/ML that could answer questions directly.

Finally, here is a link that I've found useful in the past (about MUI and GCC) - http://www.ezcyberspace.com/gcc/

Happy Coding :-)

Offline DarrenOP

• Show only replies by DarrenOP
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2004, 04:57:36 PM »
I wouldn't mind offering advice on C or C++ programming problems or advice on software design or identifying design patterns etc, its just having the time.

It may be worth setting up some form of web based forum where people can post questions, work together on projects and share experiences or advice.
That wouldn't take too much of anyone's time and would help to build some form of small community of beginners.

As mentioned above, theres loads of great training material freely available online already and lots of good books so you don't really need tutors.

Offline Twin

• Show only replies by Twin
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2004, 07:11:56 AM »
I'm interested in the group.

I've got a computer science degree so I have some experience in C and C++ but I want to get into for the Amiga.

So count me in.

Offline BigBenAussie

• Show only replies by BigBenAussie
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2004, 10:19:20 AM »
Woah, I just checked out that MUI tutorial code. Thanks a lot... It really opened my eyes.

First the good part. There was a lot of functionality in the examples. And I wasn't as frightened off as I thought I would be.

The bad part. There were no comments in the code, which are absolutely essential in tutorials, and I didn't know what the hell was going on beyond realising that there was some sort of structure getting populated. At least I think it was a structure. And I have no idea of what that structure is. Hell, it looked greek.

It could just be that this is just not the way I am used to programming. I come from a windows .NET and Java background and I've used C/C++ on simple pc text based applications at various banks. You may scoff at the high level languages I just mentioned but they are a zillion times more user friendly and productive and clearer to understand than the code I just saw. They have to be.

What I can't believe is that people actually program this way. WTF!!! No wonder beginners have no idea where to start.

The first thing I think I'm going to do, unless someone tells me it already exists, for the entire Amiga community, and especially the beginners, is encapsulate the library into C++ classes that are friendly to highlevel windows coders. Not the windows C++ programmers, who are just too clever. It just seems like too much low level gobbledy gook C code. I can understand for a game, but for standard UI development this is just too much.

I must, I simply must, create things like form object classes and various user control classes with all the relevant properties easily accessible. And I'll have to figure out an event driven kind of model somehow rather than just rely on a running loop. Yeah, I'll probably have to write a GUI builder too, maybe even automate the event handling. Looking at the code I can already see how I could do that. And Gosh, I'll have to dig up that String object manipulation code I wrote like 10 or more years ago.

This is just too bizzare. I really can't believe people are still programming this way. No really, is this some sort of joke? Is this really the way you're expecting people to program? What is the easiest to use application development environment/libraries on the Amiga at the moment? Is it what I just saw? GeekGadgets?

If this is the state of Amiga programming then expect an infusion of different ideas from the other established platforms, because this way of programming is just not going to sit well with us. We gotta bring the Amiga programming community into the 21st century.

Sorry if I sounded adversarial, I'm just a little disappointed as I just realised I've got a lot more work to do than I thought to port what I've been building for the last couple of months and I've got to get cracking.

I guess I musn't be surprised as event driven programming came out around the mid nineties and probably never existed in the Amiga's heydey. I guess it could have been worse.

Are you sure there isn't anything that does event driven programming? Because really the newbies are gonna love it. I don't care what language it is.

Man, this just brings it home that we need java on Amiga, if only to use something like JBuilder to program on a different platform. It'll practically build the entire app for you, with all the event handlers. I probably could have built the examples visually faster than it took to read them. We really are missing out otherwise.

Please, let me know. No really. I mean, I'll clean this whole thing up I will, for the good of everyone. It doesn't look that hard to do. Maybe a couple of months of work and I'll probably have to do it anyway to port my app. I tinkered with building an XML DOM parser, that works, and a simple SQL developer database a little while ago that I could include. Hell.... I could really do this.

Hmmmmm. If there is a need for such a thing I think I could do it. If I'm gonna spend all that time though, I might really go for it and make it a marketable product.

Do you think it is something you would be interested in purchasing?

Offline LP

• Show only replies by LP
    • http://bailout.dk
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2004, 01:41:38 PM »
I've got all the basics of C++ set, but I could need some more C/Amiga experience so I'd like to join... Are there any one i control of this then?