Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Beginner Programing  (Read 4779 times)

Description:

Offline LP

• Show only replies by LP
    • http://bailout.dk
Re: Beginner Programing
« Reply #44 from previous page: March 06, 2004, 01:41:38 PM »
I've got all the basics of C++ set, but I could need some more C/Amiga experience so I'd like to join... Are there any one i control of this then?

Offline Twin

• Show only replies by Twin
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2004, 02:57:40 PM »

BigBenAussie wrote:
Do you think it is something you would be interested in purchasing?

Mate, if you can do all that, I'll buy it  :-D

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2004, 03:53:05 PM »
BigBen: I agree with you on MUI.    And yes, a SQL db, jbuilder etc
would be very useful!
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline Sidewinder

• Show only replies by Sidewinder
    • http://www.liquido2.com
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2004, 05:29:04 PM »
The Amiga API hasn't really been changed from its original design which was developed in the mid 80s.  Back then C was the language of choice and C++ wasn't really in the picture.  The Amiga OS (even the 1985 version 1.0) uses the concept of BOOPSI (Basic Object Oriented Programming System for Intuition) for GUI design and the idea of Messages and Ports to facilitate event driven programming.  MUI too was developed prior to the rush to C++ and maintained the original, basic OOP concepts that Amiga programmers were familiar with.  These concepts really aren't that strange.  Many of the same concepts are found in the Microsoft Windows API.  But the problem is that the Amiga API development stopped back in 1994 with the death of Commodore.  This was a time period just before C++ became the real standard in application programming.  Later revisions of the AmigaOS by third parties did not bother to update the API because it really would take a lot of time and effort.  In contrast, the Microsoft developed the Microsoft Foundataion Classes (MFC) to wrap around its API in the late 1990s.  These classes allow the developer to forget much of what is going on behind the scenes with the API and see only an Object Oriented environment.  If you were able to develop something like "Amiga Foundation Classes" I'm sure that many Amiga programmers would purchase it.  I know that I would.
Sidewinder

Offline BigBenAussie

• Show only replies by BigBenAussie
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2004, 01:55:54 AM »
Yeah, just as I thought.
IMHO MFC or AFC would still be a little too complex for beginners but would still be worthwhile.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2004, 05:18:22 AM »
@Sidewinder

BOOPSI in AOS1.0 ? How did I miss that ????? :-P

BOOPSI was (along with taglists) THE major shift in the 1.3 to 2.0 upgrade, allowing for stuff like custom-gadgets done in a somewhat
sane way, and later on datatypes.

But I must admit that looking back, useing it for GUIs embeeded into the app pretty much seems like a design-error.

Another "feature" that makes securing AmigaOS with MP and suchlike impossible.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline Sidewinder

• Show only replies by Sidewinder
    • http://www.liquido2.com
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2004, 06:56:12 AM »
@Kronos

Oops, now that I think about it a bit more you're right.  :oops:  I cracked open the old Intuition manual and 2.0 was the introduction of BOOPSI.  :rtfm:  My bad.  Anyway, the event driven concepts have always been there through ports and messages.  I think I will just go back to coding now... :nervous:
Sidewinder

Offline quiesce

• Show only replies by quiesce
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2004, 08:00:29 AM »
What I can't believe is that people actually program this way

One word: power.

Offline BigBenAussie

• Show only replies by BigBenAussie
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2004, 11:46:36 PM »
Woah...I just came accross this.

Amiga Foundation Classes.
http://afc.sourceforge.net/

I haven't had a good read.
Whaddayathink?

Offline drwho

• Show only replies by drwho
    • http://www.goblingames.net
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2004, 09:20:35 PM »
I am joining this thread rather late, so, please excuse me if I repeat anything that has been said before.

Let me start by saying that I think this is a wonderful idea.

Referring back to an earlier post from DarrenOP I believe, I have to say that I agree with the concept that if you are going to embark on this you should do so with your end goal in mind. If the goal is to learn C++, for example, you might want to start with C++. The ramp-up time might be a bit difficult, but, in the end you will be better for it, in my very humble opinion.

Also, if I may suggest this, you might want to immediately look into getting a copy of the Amiga Rom Kernel Manual - Libraries. This RKM is very well written, with lots of example code and explanations. I think that it also would be helpful in the sense that the Libraries RKM has information in it pertaining to the kind of "instant gratification" items that a beginner might want right away. Such as opening windows and the like. Also, since the Amiga is mostly based in the C space, you can pick up any decent ANSI C book for a desk reference.

If it would be helpful, I would be glad to assist in any way that I can. I am a senior software developer and also do some work with architecture and design. All that I ask is that my involvement be strictly in the scope of the Amiga. I spend my days battling with Microsoft's brain dead API's and I would rather spend my off time working on a platform that was done right ther first time.

Thanks,
Mike
Amiga 2000: GVP TekMagic 060@50Mhz C:2MB F:128MB Retina Z2 HydraII
Amiga 3000T: A3640 C:2MB F:128MB Picasso II X-Surf