Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Call me insane if you like but I think I want an X1000 now :)  (Read 9285 times)

Description:

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
Re: Call me insane if you like but I think I want an X1000 now :)
« Reply #74 from previous page: October 09, 2013, 11:14:12 PM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;749459
Title says it all really, what does a man who has almost everything get next?

5 years from now when X1000s will be as rare as rocking horse doo-doo coated in crushed hens teeth it will make sense. Beyond CPU speed or driver issues or dog slow PS1 emulation (meaning you still can't play Wipeout 2097 a la PPC based A4000) it will be a unique computer. It will be just like my Memotech MTX512 and FDX disk expansion on my desk.

Yup I think I will get myself one for Xmas.....Jesus may weep but I will have a one of a kind super kooky machine just like last decade with my NEXT machines :)

Well, I have recently got one - AmigaOS in 1920x1080, 7.1 sound, 2GB FAST RAM running on Radeon 6800 HD series card ... It will be rarity but useful one. Linux 12.04 LTS with Libre does greatly what AmigaOS can‚t at the moment and uses both cores, 3D accel and sees beyond 2GB RAM and 256MB VRAM (chip) :-)

Only reason why you can‚t run WIpeout 2097 is that warpos.library and powerpc.library haven‚t been updated since original AmigaOne days and don‚t work on X1000. Haven‚t installed PS1 emulator, but if it can‚t be done under OS4, can under Linux. Hope AOS will quickly use the board to the full, since I paid for that OS 4.2 license too, in advance :hammer:
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline vox

« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2013, 11:17:14 PM »
Quote from: Darth_X;749466
If I think buying an X1000 is a bad idea, that automatically makes me a troll? ;-)

People decide what they do with their own money and desires. I could buy new MacPro, but picked X1000, because its most advanced Amiga like system I can have. By using very nice Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, many of AmigaOS shortcomings can be covered on same machine.
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2013, 11:59:04 PM »
Quote from: vox;749668
People decide what they do with their own money and desires. I could buy new MacPro, but picked X1000, because its most advanced Amiga like system I can have. By using very nice Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, many of AmigaOS shortcomings can be covered on same machine.

Each to their own of course but if you want to run Ubuntu you could get exactly the same experience (well probably an even better experience) for less money with a x86 box and an Amiga sticker.

I don't really see the point of buying an NG Amiga and then running Unix on it, I know of one X1000 owner who uses Unix almost exclusively on his X1000.

It's like they're saying that OS4 is not up to the job so you're better off with running some other OS on your OS4 machine, this seems very strange to me.

I think Commodore did something similar with the classics back-in-day when they released x86 daughter boards for the 68k computers, also very strange IMHO.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline Hans_

« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2013, 12:07:12 AM »
Quote from: itix;749658
That is not going to work. WINE is only a compatibility layer to run Windows software on other operating system. There is no CPU emulation and even if there was it would be tricky because Windows software is little endian but WINE is using native endianess.

Wine + qemu would work though. I tried that years ago when I first got my A1-XE (under Linux), and it sort-of worked. I got stuff to run, but all the software that I wanted to run had at least one DLL that WINE was missing at the time.

Of course, if you're going to use qemu, then you could get better compatibility using full system emulation and installing Windows itself. Then your biggest problem would be the emulation overhead...

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline Hans_

« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2013, 12:11:33 AM »
Quote from: itix;749662
Another question is if WINE can be ported to Amiga at all. I suspect there is too much *nix in WINE.

IMHO, a WINE port to AmigaOS would be closer to a rewrite than a port. After all, WINE maps Windows APIs to their *nix equivalents, and a port would have to remap them to AmigaOS equivalents.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2013, 12:21:55 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;749671
Each to their own of course but if you want to run Ubuntu you could get exactly the same experience (well probably an even better experience) for less money with a x86 box and an Amiga sticker.

I don't really see the point of buying an NG Amiga and then running Unix on it, I know of one X1000 owner who uses Unix almost exclusively on his X1000.

It's like they're saying that OS4 is not up to the job so you're better off with running some other OS on your OS4 machine, this seems very strange to me.

I think Commodore did something similar with the classics back-in-day when they released x86 daughter boards for the 68k computers, also very strange IMHO.

Isn't it exactly what they are saying? That OS 4.1 is indeed not up to the job? Even running games and MMORPG it is not up to the job...that we need PORTS from outside.....that we need different OS.....might as will avoid OS 4.1 and X1000 all together and get yourself an x86 and windows.......

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2013, 12:38:12 AM »
go figure..

Offline AmigaClassicRule

« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2013, 12:56:17 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;749676
go figure..

:biglaugh:

Offline vox

« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2013, 01:23:47 AM »

Well, handling modern documents, having complete modern Firefox and so on from software side is bonus. Not that I don`t have it on Linux Mint on x86 laptop, but its nice its the same apps I do know on Linux (and can use as open source software even on Windows if I would like to)

And plus full utilization of hardware to the full (3D of RadeonHd, over 2GB RAM, dual core).

I am not saying I have bought X1000 to run AmigaOS 4, but that most things people joke about on OS4 (e.g. $2000 machine and not even a decent browser ...) can meanwhile be solved by dual boot. On same $2000 machine.

Looking forward to see and feel OS 4.2 as that was OS that was supposed to go with X1000 :-)

For example, this I can   do from OS 4.1.6 and TW - forum reading.

I am not sure about your last comment. x86 emulator was presented with Amiga 1000, see Amiga Premiere video on You Tube / Amiga Forever bonus DVD. Idea was to provide acess to some mainstream apps that did not exist for Amiga - that is only similarity. Its not the OS that is not to the task, its simple lack of apps in some areas

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2013, 01:51:15 AM »

.[/QUOTE

That is what they are saying. Its NOT "up for the job" however, morphos is almost "up for the job" And why is that you ask? Because MORPHOS DEVELOPERS SPENT MORE TIME ON SOFTWARE THAN STUPID EXOTIC HARDWARE PORTS.  Simple.

And the sad and stupid part is that they STILL have  this model for development.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2013, 01:56:59 AM »
Quote from: vox;749681
I am not sure about your last comment. x86 emulator was presented with Amiga 1000, see Amiga Premiere video on You Tube / Amiga Forever bonus DVD. Idea was to provide acess to some mainstream apps that did not exist for Amiga - that is only similarity. Its not the OS that is not to the task, its simple lack of apps in some areas

I mean that (to me at least), it makes more sense for company to put the effort into providing the 'missing' applications so they run natively on their OS rather than building a daughter board to run their competitors OS and applications.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline AmigaClassicRule

« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2013, 02:11:38 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;749685
I mean that (to me at least), it makes more sense for company to put the effort into providing the 'missing' applications so they run natively on their OS rather than building a daughter board to run their competitors OS and applications.

LOL!!!!!!!!!! :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Hans_

« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2013, 04:15:16 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;749685

It costs orders of magnitudes more time and money to write those missing applications than to create the daughter-board. Offering your customers access to a competitor's applications while your own application library is still growing can be a good strategy.

BTW, when I bought my A1-XE, I couldn't justify spending that much money on just a hobby. Being able to use linux software for school/work was one of the deciding factors at the time. It meant that it wasn't just an expensive toy, but something that served a dual purpose.

Hans

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2013, 09:51:40 AM »
@vox

Quote from: vox;749666
Well, I have recently got one - AmigaOS ... 2GB FAST RAM ... Radeon 6800 HD series card
I am not saying I have bought X1000 to run AmigaOS 4, but that most things people joke about on OS4 (e.g. $2000 machine and not even a decent browser ...) can meanwhile be solved by dual boot. On same $2000 machine.

Then you should know better than anyone that it doesn't cost $2000. That system is over $3000 (which probably doesn't include tax or shipping (I think it's difficult to find info about that on amigakits webshop)).

Or $4000 if you don't want to wait up to a half a year and is going for the Polish second hand market instead! :lol:

Quote from: vox;749666
... what AmigaOS can‚t at the moment and uses both cores, 3D accel and sees beyond 2GB RAM and 256MB VRAM (chip) :-)

And plus full utilization of hardware to the full (3D of RadeonHd, over 2GB RAM, dual core).

Looking forward to see and feel OS 4.2 as that was OS that was supposed to go with X1000 :-)

Yeah... SMP, >2GB RAM, etc...

:)

Well, "Amiwest" will be more exciting than ever this year, won't it? (Like every year! :lol:)

;)

... but picked X1000, because its most advanced Amiga like system I can have.

Oh really now?

:whack:

:lol:
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline amigakit

« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2013, 12:46:16 PM »
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline nicholas

« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2013, 01:22:10 PM »
I could buy new MacPro, but picked X1000, because its most advanced Amiga like system I can have.

Not even close.  AROS running on that new Mac Pro would be "most advanced Amiga like system" you could buy.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini