Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Call me insane if you like but I think I want an X1000 now :)  (Read 9289 times)

Description:

Offline slayer

• Show only replies by slayer
Re: Call me insane if you like but I think I want an X1000 now :)
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2013, 12:22:46 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;749492
The X1000 user base is growing and there are new customers who left the Amiga scene returning which is pleasing, as well as existing customers upgrading to the X1000.

Nice feedback there Amigakit :hammer:

Keep up the good work :pint:
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in \'Lord of the Rings\'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2013, 12:50:22 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;749635
the machine, so far i have been aware of him posting about it, was barely used. he was so disappointed with it, or at least acted as such, that it is safe to assume, it must be as good as new.

Still it's second hand and not new. A new one should (besides being new) also be ~$1,000 cheaper. :lol:

I have no problems at all with second hand HW personally. Most of the OS4 crowd obviously does however, judging from all those "but its not new" comments as soon as someone talks about second hand Mac's for MorphOS. And this X1000 is second hand. At 33% overprice compared to the already insane price for new, unused ones. I just find this amusing, that's all! :)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Delta

• Show only replies by Delta
    • http://www.atelierdujeu.com
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2013, 02:08:41 PM »
Price of items is based on what people are ready to pay.  So far selling Amiga hardware high price (classic or not) does not seem to be a problem since there is buyers willing to pay.

As for myself I wish the announcements will be worth it, I really want to use my SAM460 for more but when you have been using windows for the past 5 years using AmigaOS seems so much trouble for simple tasks.  Or maybe I just lost my fanboy attributes...

I chose the 460 instead of the X1000 back then because of the price.  I was willing to put around 1200$ to get a new Amiga but not more.  I don't regret it since the X1000 doesn't do anything more at the moment.   The software is just not there...  Bring me user friendly and fully working software!!!    :)
-=Delta

Online amigakit

« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;749618
The price of a new one (AFAIK it is still possible to order new ones) is said to be ~$3,000 USD.
:)

Yes, the AmigaOne X1000 is still available and in stock here:

http://www.amigakit.us/product_info.php?products_id=1071

@Delta

There is ongoing development into AmigaOne X1000 software recently, a notable release from A-EON will be LibreOffice which is progressing despite it being a very large software devlopment project.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 03:21:00 PM by amigakit »
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline Delta

• Show only replies by Delta
    • http://www.atelierdujeu.com
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2013, 03:23:56 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;749640

@Delta
There is ongoing development into AmigaOne X1000 software recently, a notable release from A-EON will be LibreOffice which is progressing despite it being a very large software devlopment project.

Oh I have no doubt there is progress on software, i'm just a spoiled brat that wants everything done yesterday ;)  

But seriously, also having to reboot my Amiga 2-3 times a day for crashed software does not help loving it much either...
-=Delta

Online amigakit

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2013, 03:29:10 PM »
@Delta

I know, I think we are all like that because we love using the Amiga in preference to other platforms, and we all wish we could do *everything* on our Amigas...

Personally speaking, the LibreOffice and Timberwolf are two major steps forward in that quest.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2013, 07:43:42 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;749642
@Delta

I know, I think we are all like that because we love using the Amiga in preference to other platforms, and we all wish we could do *everything* on our Amigas...

Personally speaking, the LibreOffice and Timberwolf are two major steps forward in that quest.

Hey Amigakit...I just want to ask one question.....what is the potential rate here between 0% to 100% that WINE for linux and Mac can be ported into AmigaOS 4.1?

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2013, 07:51:48 PM »

WINE for linux and Mac can be ported into AmigaOS 4.1?

what do you want to do with wine on ppc?

Offline AmigaClassicRule

« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2013, 07:56:09 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;749654
what do you want to do with wine on ppc?

Guess? Like play my favorite MMORPG game for example, run Windows apps and games...you know...that stuff...

By the way do not go through that route of...if you wants windows stuff using Windows....road...you know as well as I do..or maybe you do not know...that WINE actually helps and not hurts. For example, I am download crossover...if crossover works 100% better than WINE and it can run 60% of the applications I want in Windows in Linux and my favourite linux Distro....I would drop windows in a heart beat and go for Linux and I will be an official 100% linux user. So now Linux have a new customer...why? I do not have to deal with spyware, adware, hacking, viruses and paying fortune for applications...I can use linux free applications and my favorite games or applications that are free and really free in windows like MMORPG games and so on...I can enjoy them in Linux.

I do not have to deal with horrible file system of Windows...worry about new policy of Microsoft and be stuck with horrible user interface of windows 8 and deal with constant windows upgrade...and purchases because Microsoft no longer supports OS in favor of the new one....

By giving people the freedom to use their favorite apps that do not exist in other platforms through WINE or crossover...you are liberating people and giving them choices instead of being forced to be stuck in Windows..and then these unknown OS will be more known and more users will come to them because they know if they move platforms they STILL CAN USE their favorite apps and games....

Same concept as Amiga Clone actually could have helped old classic Amiga...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 08:01:55 PM by AmigaClassicRule »

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2013, 08:11:37 PM »
last time i checked wine was not an emulator. it will not turn your ppc cpu into a x86 to run windows applications. you would probably, just probably, be able to run some windows_nt ppc software (if there actually is any). besides if you want to run windows software there is much faster and cheaper dedicated hardware for that system. why do you need to bend an expensive and unique os4 system to do these tasks, really?

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2013, 08:16:45 PM »
That is not going to work. WINE is only a compatibility layer to run Windows software on other operating system. There is no CPU emulation and even if there was it would be tricky because Windows software is little endian but WINE is using native endianess.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline AmigaClassicRule

« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2013, 08:19:21 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;749657
last time i checked wine was not an emulator. it will not turn your ppc cpu into a x86 to run windows applications. you would probably, just probably, be able to run some windows_nt ppc software (if there actually is any). besides if you want to run windows software there is much faster and cheaper dedicated hardware for that system. why do you need to bend an expensive and unique os4 system to do these tasks, really?

LOL!! I just explained everything to you already in the previous post in hopes to avoid the very same thing you just said right now...but I guess it did not work.

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2013, 09:19:49 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;749659
LOL!! I just explained everything to you already in the previous post in hopes to avoid the very same thing you just said right now...but I guess it did not work.

I guess you still miss the main thing about WINE. If WINE was available for OS4 on PPC it would yield you exactly nothing as _not_a_single_ Windows (x86) application would actually run. WINE is no emulator but an API wrapper. x86 code on a ppc just will not work. Period. On a non x86 system there's no other solution to run Windows x86 applications than to emulate hardware. You can do this for example with Bochs, but it's rather slow.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;749657
you would probably, just probably, be able to run some windows_nt ppc software (if there actually is any).

Not a chance. WINE is a compatibility layer. It doesnt have endianess swapping built-in and PPC native Windows software is little endian. WINE on AmigaOS would be big endian.

You could port existing open sourced Windows software to Amiga using WINE as a compatibility layer. It was done on PPC native OS X long ago. Another question is if WINE can be ported to Amiga at all. I suspect there is too much *nix in WINE.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline AmigaClassicRule

« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2013, 10:53:52 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;749661
I guess you still miss the main thing about WINE. If WINE was available for OS4 on PPC it would yield you exactly nothing as _not_a_single_ Windows (x86) application would actually run. WINE is no emulator but an API wrapper. x86 code on a ppc just will not work. Period. On a non x86 system there's no other solution to run Windows x86 applications than to emulate hardware. You can do this for example with Bochs, but it's rather slow.

So what you are saying then is...that X1000 should have it's own software library pretty much the same as SNES have it's own library verses say Nintendo 64 have it's own library?

Is it possible for WINE to work on AROS then?

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #74 from previous page: October 09, 2013, 11:14:12 PM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;749459
Title says it all really, what does a man who has almost everything get next?

5 years from now when X1000s will be as rare as rocking horse doo-doo coated in crushed hens teeth it will make sense. Beyond CPU speed or driver issues or dog slow PS1 emulation (meaning you still can't play Wipeout 2097 a la PPC based A4000) it will be a unique computer. It will be just like my Memotech MTX512 and FDX disk expansion on my desk.

Yup I think I will get myself one for Xmas.....Jesus may weep but I will have a one of a kind super kooky machine just like last decade with my NEXT machines :)

Well, I have recently got one - AmigaOS in 1920x1080, 7.1 sound, 2GB FAST RAM running on Radeon 6800 HD series card ... It will be rarity but useful one. Linux 12.04 LTS with Libre does greatly what AmigaOS can‚t at the moment and uses both cores, 3D accel and sees beyond 2GB RAM and 256MB VRAM (chip) :-)

Only reason why you can‚t run WIpeout 2097 is that warpos.library and powerpc.library haven‚t been updated since original AmigaOne days and don‚t work on X1000. Haven‚t installed PS1 emulator, but if it can‚t be done under OS4, can under Linux. Hope AOS will quickly use the board to the full, since I paid for that OS 4.2 license too, in advance :hammer:
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja