Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Converting TV signal from Amiga to HDMI?  (Read 19754 times)

Description:

Offline andersbmTopic starter

• Show only replies by andersbm
Converting TV signal from Amiga to HDMI?
« on: September 24, 2013, 02:56:51 PM »
Hi' all.

I realise that there are quite a few posts about how to get the best signal from your A500/600/1200 etc. to your TV/Monitor. However, I cannot seem to find any, which is exclusively about transferring signal from Amiga to a modern TV, with some sort of HDMI cable.

I can see that amazon and ebay have RGB-to-HDMI cables but the reviews are often VERY bad and I doubt that cables like that will work for Amiga purposes. Or what?

Does anybody have good solid experience on the easiest/cheapest way to get your Amiga out-signal into a HDMI cable and on to the huge and wonderful livingroom TV? :-)

All best,
Anders, Copenhagen.

Offline Thomas

Re: Converting TV signal from Amiga to HDMI?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 03:36:48 PM »
I doubt there are any such cables. The Amiga outputs an analogue RGB signal and HDMI is digital.

You need at least an analogue-to-digital converter and possibly an upscaler to reach decent resolutions. Both are electronic devices which don't fit into a cable.

Something like this for example: http://www.amazon.com/adapter-converter-convert-digital-CM3-NW-013/dp/B00DL0UEPM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1380033269&sr=8-4&keywords=Scart+HDMI+converter

Offline Djole

• Show only replies by Djole
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 03:46:58 PM »
Quote from: andersbm;748703
Hi' all.

I realise that there are quite a few posts about how to get the best signal from your A500/600/1200 etc. to your TV/Monitor. However, I cannot seem to find any, which is exclusively about transferring signal from Amiga to a modern TV, with some sort of HDMI cable.

I can see that amazon and ebay have RGB-to-HDMI cables but the reviews are often VERY bad and I doubt that cables like that will work for Amiga purposes. Or what?

Does anybody have good solid experience on the easiest/cheapest way to get your Amiga out-signal into a HDMI cable and on to the huge and wonderful livingroom TV? :-)

All best,
Anders, Copenhagen.

Since you are in Europe, your best bet would be RGB to SCART, assuming your TV has scart. It will give you the best quality for a small price.
A1200 030
A1200 stock
A600 Vampire v2

VOLIM TE REPUBLIKO SRPSKA!
[/B][/COLOR]

Offline WeiXing3D

• Show only replies by WeiXing3D
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 04:59:58 PM »
I'm using a HD Video Converter SCART/HDMI to HDMI 720p/1080p that I bought in Los Angeles, CA and it works great. I'm using a SCART cable that a fellow Amigan in this forum donated to me and a HD LG 21" monitor. Colors and resolution work great too.

Just Google "HD Video Converter SCART/HDMI to HDMI 720p/1080p" and you should be able to find it.
Amiga 1200 fully loaded by Aclii.
AmigaONE X5000 with OS4.1 FE
FPGA Arcade board in miniITX case with AmigaOS3.9 and WB 3.1.
MorphOS 3.9 in Mac Mini G4 1.5GHz, PowerBook & Power Mac G5
Acer Aspire One with AROS Icaros Desktop 2.1.1 &
MiST FPGA Minimig Amiga AGA Workbench 3.9 PFS3 configuration.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 05:12:22 PM »
Quote from: andersbm;748703
Hi' all.

All best,
Anders, Copenhagen.

Hook an Amiga up to any modern TV via it's scart connection (Amiga RGB-Scart Cable) and trust me you will not be disappointed. The A1200 gives a slightly crisper picture than the A600, but it's hardly noticable really. Buy a good quality Amiga RGB-Scart cable though. I got mine from ebay and it wasn't cheap - but there's plenty for sale on there. I think the Amigakit store sell them too.
If you had an A1200, you could buy the IndivisionAGA MkII from Amigakit and then use this adapter and cable made by kipper:

http://kipper2k.com/amigaforsale/

Which basically gives the A1200 a HDMI output socket.

Amigakit store: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/

Kipper also sells a VGA socket to fit in place of the RF Modulator on A600's.... but you'll need an IndivisionECS for that along with the A604 ; which it plugs into which you probably already have anyway.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 06:05:13 PM by paul1981 »

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 05:14:30 PM »
+1 for the Indivision and the Kipper2K HDMI adapter.  You Europeans and your funny SCART connectors.  :p
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline paul1981

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 06:01:48 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;748712
+1 for the Indivision and the Kipper2K HDMI adapter.  You Europeans and your funny SCART connectors.  :p

Not quite as funny as your Composite Video & S-Video connectors.. :D

Offline mrknight

• Show only replies by mrknight
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 02:04:53 AM »
Quote from: paul1981;748714
Not quite as funny as your Composite Video & S-Video connectors.. :D
:roflmao:

Oh, it's funny because it's so sad! No SCART in Australia either. I still haven't been able to find a good RGB-to-Something Useful converter (component or HDMI). Why can't RGB SCART be an international standard? :(

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 04:41:16 AM »
There is no SCART in the states, but a "SCART to HDMI"  converter (upscaling to 720 or 1080p) will run $60 USD on eBay and a 23-pin to SCART cable about $20 USD. The picture is pretty good with both text and pictures. The DVI output from an AGA MKII is better, but at twice the price.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 02:17:44 PM »
Quote from: mrknight;748738
:roflmao:

Oh, it's funny because it's so sad! No SCART in Australia either. I still haven't been able to find a good RGB-to-Something Useful converter (component or HDMI). Why can't RGB SCART be an international standard? :(

Sillyness. (as above from danbeaver) All you need is an Amiga 23pin Video to Scart Cable from Amigakit and a scart(RGB) to HDMI converter. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SCART-HDMI-to-HDMI-1080P-HD-Video-Adapter-Converter-NEW-/400538432467?pt=AU_CablesConnectors&hash=item5d41f373d3
Plus a HDMI cable.  Not cheap but crystal clear video on a modern tv/HDMI enabled Monitor.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 02:20:28 PM by gertsy »

Offline andersbmTopic starter

• Show only replies by andersbm
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 02:42:09 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;748785
Sillyness. (as above from danbeaver) All you need is an Amiga 23pin Video to Scart Cable from Amigakit and a scart(RGB) to HDMI converter. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SCART-HDMI-to-HDMI-1080P-HD-Video-Adapter-Converter-NEW-/400538432467?pt=AU_CablesConnectors&hash=item5d41f373d3
Plus a HDMI cable.  Not cheap but crystal clear video on a modern tv/HDMI enabled Monitor.

Looks good! And yeah, definately not on the cheap side - but hey, that's good tech for ya ;-)

On my wishlist for x-mas now. Does anybody know what to be careful of in terms of bad quality converters?

Anders, Copenhagen.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 10:28:53 PM »
Er... Ones that don't work?

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 10:33:44 PM »
They all seem to come from China and the models are actually few in number; I chose the "HD Video Converter" 720p/1080p for $45 USD.

Offline AmmoJammo

• Show only replies by AmmoJammo
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 10:49:09 PM »
A600's and 1200 can be easily modified to give an svideo output...

One TV I have here, with a scart input, the quality actually appears to be worse than svideo... its a Grundig tv, and just doesn't seem to scale the signal as well...

RGB/scart to ypbpr appears to give a good picture, the best I've seen actually... but not all tvs will accept this signal, so its a bit hit and miss if you go that route...

Now, not from my own experience, but from others reviews (and youtube videos) rgb to hdmi will give a picture that's worse than svideo, and barely an improvement on composite.... well, lets say somewhere in the middle ;)

Offline mrknight

• Show only replies by mrknight
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 04:57:00 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;748785
That one looks nice! Do you have that particular one? Does it work nicely? I'm using my 1070 monitor so I'm not that desperate for a converter but just in case I bring my Amiga somewhere else. We do have retro game evenings sometimes...

Quote from: AmmoJammo;748833
RGB/scart to ypbpr appears to give a good picture, the best I've seen actually... but not all tvs will accept this signal, so its a bit hit and miss if you go that route...
I bought one of those RGB SCART to Component converter and my TV didn't like it. I'm not too happy about that. That means I have one for sale if anyone is interested :)