Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Will there be an ACA1240 or ACA1260?  (Read 17586 times)

Description:

Offline Blinx123

• Show only replies by Blinx123
Re: Will there be an ACA1240 or ACA1260?
« Reply #194 from previous page: December 16, 2012, 07:25:09 PM »
Pics and video are in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P2xKWUP5Gg&feature=youtu.be

What really got me though, is the fact that he said something to the extent of the CPU not being a Rev 6, after all. Apparently, while the markings on the CPU point to Rev 6, it's recognized as a Rev 5.

EDIT: There were some other pictures of the trapdoor, but that stuff is like the SAW V of Amigas. Don't think I would want to do that to my trapdoor (drilling a large hole into it).

I wonder if I should just slightly rise my machine (by adding some large metal feet to it) and tuck away the trapdoor. Surely, the amount of dust can't be that tremendous.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 07:29:16 PM by Blinx123 »
Sam: \\"You crack me up little buddy\\"
Max: \\"I love you Sam\\"

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #195 on: December 16, 2012, 08:48:53 PM »
Quote from: Blinx123;719369
I wonder if I should just slightly rise my machine (by adding some large metal feet to it) and tuck away the trapdoor. Surely, the amount of dust can't be that tremendous.

Sounds like the ticket.
BTW - That cooler on the '060 looks a little small (and no fan).
If possible, I'd replace it.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Blinx123

« Reply #196 on: December 16, 2012, 08:59:32 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;719379
Sounds like the ticket.
BTW - That cooler on the '060 looks a little small (and no fan).
If possible, I'd replace it.

If I end up buying it (still have to think about it, since it's only a Rev 5 and a bit more expensive than the Rev 6 carts with 64MB 50ns EDO Stachu used to sell), I'll probably just switch the coolers.

I don't really see the sense of having an inward facing fan, while the CPU itself basically starves from the lack of aforementioned fan.

BTW: Is there any way telling whether a CPU has been socketed or not? For an Amiga newbie like me, it's always hard to tell from the photos and I almost always forget asking the seller.

EDIT: WhichAmiga reports a Rev 5, indeed.
Is there any known issue with WhichAmiga and Rev6 CPUs or is it really a Rev 5 then?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 09:09:36 PM by Blinx123 »

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #197 on: December 16, 2012, 09:41:27 PM »
Quote from: Blinx123;719382
If I end up buying it (still have to think about it, since it's only a Rev 5 and a bit more expensive than the Rev 6 carts with 64MB 50ns EDO Stachu used to sell), I'll probably just switch the coolers.

Probably a good idea.

BTW - PM sent.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Blinx123

« Reply #198 on: December 18, 2012, 10:00:11 AM »
I have decided to take this guy up on his offer.

However, I'm still in contact with three other sellers. So if anyone is looking for an Apollo/Blizzard, PM me.

On another note: I've just received an offer for a Mikronic Z3i for 150 euros + shipping.
Might this be a worthwhile future update?

EDIT: Ok. It cost me quite a lot of money, but I'm 80% there.
After waiting 12 years for my Amiga (about the same amount of time people in the USSR waited for their cars. Lol), it took me less than a month and approximately 700 euros to source nearly all the components I ever wanted to have.

Bought 2*128MB 50ns Superslim EDO (the last the Ebay seller had in stock) today (they cost me about the same as my 16GB high-end DDR3. Ouch), already sourced a Z3i for a possible future upgrade to Cyberstorm(PPC) or UltraPPC (if that ever comes out and supports Amiga 1200 busboards) and am about to drop some money on Amiga OS 3.9.

Am I one lucky son of a bitch or is it money that plays a huge part here? Personally, I'd have imagined it to cost about two to three times as much as it ended up costing me. Going by what someone on here said, the Micronik alone should've cost me quite a dime.

The only thing that is now left finding out is whether I can install a Micronik Z3i and a Mediator at the same time or not.
This and I'll need some documents on how to successfully mod an ATX midi/big tower, since I really don't want to spend money on something as generic as the Amiga specific towers.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 03:36:41 PM by Blinx123 »