Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where have all the player to player online games gone?  (Read 1540 times)

Description:

Offline Ral-ClanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
Where have all the player to player online games gone?
« on: November 11, 2012, 04:04:25 PM »
I want to set up some online board games for my young daughter to play with her grandmother over the internet.  Obviously I'm looking for simple board / card games.

Years ago, you used to be able to find what were called "IP games" or "Peer to Peer" games like this.  I remember I had battleship, connect 4 and chess.  They were public domain games where you both started them on their respective computers, e-mail each other one's IP address and were able to directly connect.  They were like the direct-connection "modem games" of old.  No connection to a central server required.

I can't find anything like this anymore.  All "netplay" games now require you to subscribe or register with a service for these simple games.  I'd prefer not to do this.

Does anyone know where these simple IP games have gone, and if not, can anyone recommend safe and reliable and simple replacements for them?  There are so many gaming sites out there, but my daughter and her grandmother are not advanced computer users so I want something simple and safe for them.  Thanks.

Thanks.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
Re: Where have all the player to player online games gone?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 04:47:46 PM »
I think these days most casual gaming is done through facebook.

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 05:45:31 PM »
Quote from: ral-clan;714519
I want to set up some online board games for my young daughter to play with her grandmother over the internet.  Obviously I'm looking for simple board / card games.

Years ago, you used to be able to find what were called "IP games" or "Peer to Peer" games like this.  I remember I had battleship, connect 4 and chess.  They were public domain games where you both started them on their respective computers, e-mail each other one's IP address and were able to directly connect.  They were like the direct-connection "modem games" of old.  No connection to a central server required.

I can't find anything like this anymore.  All "netplay" games now require you to subscribe or register with a service for these simple games.  I'd prefer not to do this.

Does anyone know where these simple IP games have gone, and if not, can anyone recommend safe and reliable and simple replacements for them?  There are so many gaming sites out there, but my daughter and her grandmother are not advanced computer users so I want something simple and safe for them.  Thanks.

Thanks.

Yeah back in the day you had services like MSN Zone and Game Spy which would act as the go between for direct connect games. But these services are pretty much bastardized now, I believe there is no actual game spy client now, and most stuff has moved to services like facebook, xbox live and steam.

Msn Zone does still kind of exist but it still requires a msn account. http://zone.msn.com/en-us/home

Steam is free and does have casual games. But you have to pay for the games.

Facebook is probably the best option as it has loads of free games that are ad supported. So between every other move you might have an ad pop up.

It's not like the old days any more.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 01:04:54 AM »
setting up online gaming for a kid should equal child abuse.

Offline Ral-ClanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 03:29:10 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;715378
setting up online gaming for a kid should equal child abuse.

It's so a child can play simple card games / board games with her grandmother via Skype who lives over 1000 kilometers away.

It's a way they can interact, maintain a relationship, and enjoy one another's company despite the great distance.  Otherwise they'd rarely get to see each other.

I'm not talking about World of Warcraft here.

Thanks for your input, though.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 06:41:23 PM »
Maybe just scrap anything that is ad supported. My niece went on some website, it was designed for kids to play on, and 2 ads for 888 poker and some bingo site popped up. On a kids site!

I sent them an email telling them to bollock who ever supplies their ads.

For causal games just buy a beat up DS and let them go to town on it.