Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: USB Gaming keyboards  (Read 999 times)

Description:

Offline DuceTopic starter

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
USB Gaming keyboards
« on: February 04, 2012, 05:46:08 PM »
While this isn't specific Amiga hardware, thought I'd share my experiences.  It's a USB keyboard, so usable on anything with a USB port.  Works great on my SAM 440, so I guess it is remotely Amiga related, heh.

http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-k60-performance-fps-mechanical-gaming-keyboard.html

Been using it on my PC and SAM for a week or two now, and it's one of the best keyboards feel wise I've ever used.  For many years I've used the Logitech G-15 and G-19 models, but this keyboard is likely going to become my daily driver.

If you like mechanical/Cherry type keyboards and can put a USB keyboard to use, consider this one.  While it is expensive at $100, in comparison to other high end USB gaming keyboards, it's fairly reasonable - the G 19 keyboard is $200+, but admittedly the G 19 has a real nice full color LCD.

It's just super for gaming, and a sheer joy for general computing.  I forgot how nice mechanical switch keyboards were to use.  Been a long time since an input device has impressed me this much.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
Re: USB Gaming keyboards
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 06:05:09 PM »
Normally Im a cheapskate, but a keyboard is one area where it's absolutely worth coughing up a bit extra, since you'll be interacting with it constantly.

Once you've gone mechanical, there's no going back :)

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 07:58:17 PM »
That does look very nice...

I hate to give up my backlit keyboard though...

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 08:05:51 PM »
Im hammering keys on my 1994 IBM model M :D

Offline AmigaFreak

• Show only replies by AmigaFreak
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 08:37:36 PM »
That is one cool keyboard, If I had the money to spend, I probably would get something like that... Right now I'm stuck choosing between either a USB Logitech keyboard, a Micro$oft Arc, or an old PS/2 Emachines keyboard. All three are sitting in my bedroom, right now I'm using the Logitech. :-)
-- Joshua E. Horn

"Um... I think my computer let out the blue smoke! What should I do?!?!?"

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 12:37:34 AM »
I just use an Apple aluminum keyboard, but it's by far the best keyboard I've ever used.  I'll never go back to gigantic typewriter keys again.

I don't like Logitech's gaming keyboards at all.  None of the features add anything of value to the games I play.
Wolfking keyboards are pretty awesome, though.  If they had low-profile keys, I'd get one for sure.

Offline DuceTopic starter

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 01:01:02 AM »
I'm very happy with my Logitech G 19 keyboard - if you are an avid gamer, the LCD is real nice - but at $200+, she isn't cheap.  The fact it has an AC plug on it is a bit of a PITA as well.

I've found the overall quality of "high end" Logitech input devices to have gone downhill in recent years.  The first G series keyboard I got still works fine - WASD keys have the letters worn off, but functionally is like new.  My first G 5 mouse was great, but I am finding myself buying a new G9 each year on other machines because they develop dead spots on the newer built ones.  Not something desirable on a $100+ mouse.

My G 19 is a couple years old, and getting extremely bagged out, but I play WoW (mainly BG's) and the LCD display is just super for that.

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 02:18:28 AM »
I have a sidewinder X4 by microsoft. Does its job and got it cheap in a sale. I would love something that goes clickity clack though. I worked with an IBM terminal for years and that keyboard was amazing.