Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOne X1000 booting AmigaOS4.1 Update 3  (Read 19966 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Re: AmigaOne X1000 booting AmigaOS4.1 Update 3
« Reply #119 from previous page: August 29, 2011, 10:00:27 PM »
Quote from: HotRod;656783
Excuse me but what the heck has it got to do with what I wrote?

Sorry, misread your post as "I got a powermac and cant even watch fullhd in macos x"...
int p; // A

Offline HotRod

• Show only replies by HotRod
« Reply #120 on: August 29, 2011, 10:12:18 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;656784
Maybe I get mad, but while I watch movies on my Mac mini I not only hear voices, but also music. Incredible!!! How can that be since there is no hdmi port????
But I have an idea: Theres is this pretty funny 3.5mm jack on the back of my mac mini. I had this übercrazy idea to take a few copper cables I connect this jack with my hifi amplifier. Wow - what an effect: Music, voices. Lord of the rings actualy is no silent movie as I thought all the years before!!

Oh what do you know! There it is! Great! Except that I don't have my hifi amplifier set up, my speaker system isn't in front of me when I watch movies, it's in front of me when I sit in front of my computer, I don't want the sound to come from the side, I don't want to cary around the speakers, I want the sound to come out from my TV. And why would I bother when it works the way I want to from the PC? It will work the way I want to on the X1000 but it never will on the PowerMac. I think that I'm allowed to have thoughts about how I want my computers to work, not how you think that they should work (or anyone else). It doesn't work on a PowerMac, end of story.

Offline HotRod

« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2011, 10:19:32 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;656786
Sorry, misread your post as "I got a powermac and cant even watch fullhd in macos x"...

Ok then I know. Fab wrote that it works even though MOS is just using one CPU at the moment so I know it works.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2011, 10:20:47 PM »
Quote from: danwood;656735
Update 3 for OS 4.1 is out now:

http://hyperion-entertainment.biz/

http://i.imgur.com/Ti23B.png

Seems like they skipped the beta testing phase entirely in OS4.1.3 judging by the reception it got...

Maybe if they had *really* spent "just another two more weeks" they could have reached the "When it's done!" :lol: ;)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #123 on: August 29, 2011, 10:27:12 PM »
Quote from: HotRod;656789
Oh what do you know! There it is! Great! Except that I don't have my hifi amplifier set up, my speaker system isn't in front of me when I watch movies, it's in front of me when I sit in front of my computer, I don't want the sound to come from the side, I don't want to cary around the speakers, I want the sound to come out from my TV. And why would I bother when it works the way I want to from the PC? It will work the way I want to on the X1000 but it never will on the PowerMac. I think that I'm allowed to have thoughts about how I want my computers to work, not how you think that they should work (or anyone else). It doesn't work on a PowerMac, end of story.

dvi-i is also able to transmit digital audio data. If your dvi source supports audio, you'll have audio on the hdmi plug, too.
It's not a problem of the hardware, it is a problem of the software.

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #124 on: August 29, 2011, 10:27:55 PM »
Not a good day for OS 4 users.

Offline HotRod

« Reply #125 on: August 29, 2011, 11:28:50 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;656799
dvi-i is also able to transmit digital audio data. If your dvi source supports audio, you'll have audio on the hdmi plug, too.
It's not a problem of the hardware, it is a problem of the software.

Ok but does video and audio work with MOS using a DVI-HDMI converter would be the question then.

Offline HotRod

« Reply #126 on: August 29, 2011, 11:30:28 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;656800
Not a good day for OS 4 users.

Thank you for your concern but it's a pretty good day for me :-) . DVPlayer and AOS 4.1 update 3 works pretty good I must say. It's faster, some improvements and bugfixes. Pretty nice, you should check it out ;-)

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #127 on: August 30, 2011, 01:49:25 AM »
Tripitaka,

I am an aros guy for the record. I'm not sure why you expect me to go ra ra for a 2ghz powerpc computer. I had a powermac that beat that 5 years ago, and it could use all cores/processors, unlike this pile of outdated tech.

Just because someone is critical of something, don't hate on them. Especially when they are right. I simply think paying 2500$ for 5 year old speed computer is stupid, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

AOS will die a slow death because of lack of decent hardware unless they port to x86 or arm at least. BTW, Aros already runs on both.

My current AROS box is 3.4ghz and can run rings around this x1000 on just any ANY test imaginable. You can get one for 50 bucks on ebay.
Kinda beats 2500$ in my view, and the os is open, and not run by *******s with no vision and no sense of reality. And BTW you know AROS right? Thats the thing those AOS4 coders keep taking code from without sharing their own work or open sourcing their own developments so everyone can benefit.

Steven

Offline HotRod

« Reply #128 on: August 30, 2011, 02:02:24 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;656831
Tripitaka,

I am an aros guy for the record. I'm not sure why you expect me to go ra ra for a 2ghz powerpc computer. I had a powermac that beat that 5 years ago, and it could use all cores/processors, unlike this pile of outdated tech.

Just because someone is critical of something, don't hate on them. Especially when they are right. I simply think paying 2500$ for 5 year old speed computer is stupid, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

AOS will die a slow death because of lack of decent hardware unless they port to x86 or arm at least. BTW, Aros already runs on both.

My current AROS box is 3.4ghz and can run rings around this x1000 on just any ANY test imaginable. You can get one for 50 bucks on ebay.
Kinda beats 2500$ in my view, and the os is open, and not run by *******s with no vision and no sense of reality. And BTW you know AROS right? Thats the thing those AOS4 coders keep taking code from without sharing their own work or open sourcing their own developments so everyone can benefit.

Steven

First of all speed isn't everything and if that is the only thing that matters there are other options as well  with more software and better compatibility with other platforms. With Linux you get Skype, Flash, a good MSN client, several good browsers etc.

In other words, that statement doesn't hold any water.

Second, does AROS support multiple cores, memory tracking, memory protection, filesystem advanced as Ext 3 or even JXFS, flash, skype...?

Third, all amigaos-like operating systems including amigaos itself needs to be either updated which takes time and I'm sure you know the situation (or at least I hope you do after that comment) or they can throw it away, so there are no perfect solution regarding hardware for reasons that you can search for yourself, I've read it, there are long threads and I won't try to memorize exactly what was written, nor will I try to find the threads for you.

I don't know what the purpose about that comment is other than saying that you... ehm... well I don't know. I don't care what happens with AROS or MOS but I don't whish for the operating systems to die. I whish some other things for some users (not death) though but that has nothing to do with the operating system.

You want speed? Use a light-weight Linux that supports multiple cores and all other modern standards.

Regarding AROS, it lacks lots of features found only in AOS 4 and MOS. It's also up to each and every individual to pick whatever suits him best. Shall everyone do like you though and write some mad comment about other options? What's your problem?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:05:24 AM by HotRod »

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #129 on: August 30, 2011, 02:09:21 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;656831
Hell, they don't even have to do that, just port to PPC Macs. I've got a quad-core G5 which massively outperforms this thing that I got refurbished for 1/6th the cost. The dual-cores are closer to 1/12th. There's a wealth of these machines out there for much more affordable prices than any of the custom boards; they could run AOS4 beautifully if Hyperion would only port to them.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline haywirepc

« Reply #130 on: August 30, 2011, 02:09:33 AM »
Hey I wish them the best, I simply think they've made major mistakes and continue to blunder what could have been a fantastic opportunity for them. I'm entitled to my opinion, and I'm sorry if you don't like it.

Your right AROS does not yet support multiple cores (but may soon) Still, my 3.4ghz box runs rings around anything aos has, including the x1000 which is still not here yet and thats not opinion, thats a fact.

Speed doesn't matter? Okay, then why aren't you still using your first 2mhz 8 bit computer? Of course speed matters, its the most important thing in a computer and determines what work the computer can do in reasonable timeframes.

Steven

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
« Reply #131 on: August 30, 2011, 02:12:33 AM »
@haywirepc

If you want x86 or ARM, you're free to use AROS. OS4 and MOS are just fine as they are on PowerPC, and nothing is going to change that for the present.

I personally dislike the fact that people here feel the need to go to the red or the blue and change them. AROS does what you want, just leave blue and red alone. In the case of Blue, we have a defined roadmap for the present and we arent going to change that. Red, they seem to be more than a little turbid in terms of where to go, but there are sales for them. So, AROS, either buy the needed hardware to run MOS or OS4 or you're free to use what you want on AROS.

Also, there is the Megahertz myth. All things considered, the megahertz have little to do with speed. I can watch 720p video on My G4 mac, it runs circles on computers owned by my computer consultant friend, including his brand new machine he built.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:14:45 AM by dreamcast270mhz »
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline haywirepc

« Reply #132 on: August 30, 2011, 02:13:45 AM »
commodorejohn, Yes I agree and it wouldn't take that major an effort, at least not as major as porting to x86. Ignoring all those fantastic power pc which are now cheap machines and building your own motherboard is one of the blunders I think they made. Quad core g5's smoke this x1000 like crazy, and they are how many years old now?

Steven

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
« Reply #133 on: August 30, 2011, 02:18:02 AM »
I know people running G5s with Yellow Dog and Debian which outrun all Intel machines they have been put up against. Source code optimization is the reason that I can make a game for the Wii that runs better than on a PC. When I get some dev machines, I will be putting a mix of E, C and ASM for 68k and PPC. Assembly code is by far the most efficient code for a machine.
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline HotRod

« Reply #134 on: August 30, 2011, 02:21:24 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;656835
Hey I wish them the best, I simply think they've made major mistakes and continue to blunder what could have been a fantastic opportunity for them. I'm entitled to my opinion, and I'm sorry if you don't like it.

Your right AROS does not yet support multiple cores (but may soon) Still, my 3.4ghz box runs rings around anything aos has, including the x1000 which is still not here yet and thats not opinion, thats a fact.

Speed doesn't matter? Okay, then why aren't you still using your first 2mhz 8 bit computer? Of course speed matters, its the most important thing in a computer and determines what work the computer can do in reasonable timeframes.

Steven

I don't know if that was aimed at me but I didn't wrote that speed doesn't matter. There are always several things that matters. Just like there are different reasons for what OS someone use or prefer.

Regarding the X1000, I'm not sure if I will be able to afford it or if I will buy it but it's better than nothing. Compared to the Mac it will be able to take a PC graphicscard that is a lot more up to date than the Radeon 9600.

Anyway, I understand the frustration that is mainly about the price, right? I think that there are lots of people not being happy about the price but on the other hand there isn't much that can be done about that except for porting it to Mac. That would be a short-term solution too so no matter how I look a it there are no perfect solution. I think I'll take it easy, enjoy what I have and see what happens. If the X1000 turns out to be too expensive I wait.

If you want to try AOS 4 (if that's part of the frustration) you could buy second hand A1, Pegasos II, Sams...

Regarding MOS and AROS the hardware is cheap and available though.