Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: Amiga in a 3.5 Inch Bay  (Read 3520 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline trekiej

Amiga in a 3.5 Inch Bay
« on: May 14, 2011, 08:13:18 AM »
Would you buy a FPGA Amiga that would fit into a 3.5 inch bay?
I think it would be a nice addition to an A500, A600, or A1200.
The host computer could act as a keyboard or mouse.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.
 

Offline Franko

Re: Amiga in a 3.5 Inch Bay
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 08:41:26 AM »
Don't quite understand why you'd just want it to fit into a 3.5" bay just to use the keyboard os say an A1200 ???

Surely you would be removing the MB in the first place and replacing it with the FPGA board (Natami for example)... :confused:
 

Offline Kesa

  • Ninja Fruit Slasher
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Sep 2010
  • Posts: 2408
  • Total likes: 0
Re: Amiga in a 3.5 Inch Bay
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 08:56:04 AM »
Quote from: Franko;637727
Don't quite understand why you'd just want it to fit into a 3.5" bay just to use the keyboard os say an A1200 ???

Surely you would be removing the MB in the first place and replacing it with the FPGA board (Natami for example)... :confused:


Idiot. Obviously he wants to put the FPGA where the floppy drive goes so he can put the floppy drive where the trapdoor is. Makes perfect sense...
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.
 

Offline trekiej

Re: Amiga in a 3.5 Inch Bay
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 09:04:34 AM »
You could put a stack of those in a pc case.
Well you would not necessarily have to remove the main board.
Someone could hook their keyboard straight to this board with the main board removed.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.
 

Offline mfilos

Re: Amiga in a 3.5 Inch Bay
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 09:50:39 AM »
Actually is a nice idea if you wanna have a "real" (although hardware emulated) Amiga into a PC :)

I made the opposite some years ago
- A1200 in DBox Tower case
- VIA Artigo Pico-ITX kit (5 1/4 case)

I had a PC inside my miggy that runned windows XP just fine :)
Visit my Amiga blog here
- A600: Vampire V3, 128MB, A604n, 16GB CF, Indivision ECS, RapidRoad, MAS-Player + Custom Audio Mixer (internal), HxC SD + Slim floppy (internal)
 

Offline Franko

Re: Amiga in a 3.5 Inch Bay
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 10:07:11 AM »
Quote from: mfilos;637740
Actually is a nice idea if you wanna have a "real" (although hardware emulated) Amiga into a PC :)

I made the opposite some years ago
- A1200 in DBox Tower case
- VIA Artigo Pico-ITX kit (5 1/4 case)

I had a PC inside my miggy that runned windows XP just fine :)


That sir is a hanging offence round these parts... ;)
 

Offline oddsocks

Re: Amiga in a 3.5 Inch Bay
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 11:48:49 AM »
Quote from: trekiej;637723
Would you buy a FPGA Amiga that would fit into a 3.5 inch bay?
I think it would be a nice addition to an A500, A600, or A1200.
The host computer could act as a keyboard or mouse.


I suppose it's kind of been done before.

http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardware.cgi?HARDID=39

But I've never heard of anyone actually owning one of these.
Cheers
OddSocks.
 

Offline pwermonger

Re: Amiga in a 3.5 Inch Bay
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 02:39:33 PM »
There was an Amiga clone that fit a 5.25" bay. http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardware.cgi?HARDID=39
 
its a good idea since it could use the windows PC as kayboard, mouse and display. Much more interesting in my opinion than a case dedicated to Amiga at this point and more versatile. I think it's a great idea just as I thought the Access was a good idea that unfortunately couldnt survive once Commodore went under and wasnt pickd up by anyone that could do anything with it.
 

Offline Ral-Clan

Re: Amiga in a 3.5 Inch Bay
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 04:01:04 PM »
Hi honestly would love to have an Amiga that fit on a PCI card or in an internal drive bay in my PC.  Like an Natami on a card...

I would love to have a real hardware Amiga (I am pretty happy with UAE but would probably be even happier with a hardware Amiga)....but I just don't have the room to set up two desktop computers side by side. (and before you say just set up the Amiga - I need modern web access and modern video editing CPU horsepower the classic Amigas can't provide)....but I love my classic Amigas for a whole slew of things and it would be nice to have a hybrid hardware system like this.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
 

Offline save2600

Re: Amiga in a 3.5 Inch Bay
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 04:20:09 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;637729
Idiot. Obviously he wants to put the FPGA where the floppy drive goes so he can put the floppy drive where the trapdoor is. Makes perfect sense...

Then all you'd have to do is cut a slot out of the bottom of your desk for "easy" access to the floppy.  :lol:
 

Offline Iggy

Re: Amiga in a 3.5 Inch Bay
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 05:01:48 PM »
I'm not sure about the 3.5" form factor, but a small FPGA based Amiga would be useful.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"
 

Offline Belial6

Re: Amiga in a 3.5 Inch Bay
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 05:27:22 PM »
A 3.5" would be great, but honestly, a 5.25" would be almost as good.  Most computers still come with DVD drives.  That means that most cases still have the drive bay for a 5.25" device, yet most people don't use their DVD drive.  On most of my computers, I would probably use and Amiga more than I would the DVD.  In fact, I have mostly moved to a single USB dvd drive passed around the house when needed.

The key would be to be able to pass the keyboard/mouse AND display into the PC itself.  Dedicated ports would be good, but being able to click on a window in your primary OS to bring up a window that displayed the output of a hardware Amiga would be cool.

Best of all would be to have two joystick ports on the front, AND having the joystick data passing bi-directionally to the PC connection.  That way you could use 9-pin joysticks as HID devices, and PC joysticks to control the hardware Amiga.
 

Offline Rob

Re: Amiga in a 3.5 Inch Bay
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 10:11:54 PM »
Quote from: oddsocks;637753
I suppose it's kind of been done before.

http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardware.cgi?HARDID=39

But I've never heard of anyone actually owning one of these.


Red sold one a few years ago and it went for quite a tidy sum.  I read some time after that one of the companies that formed Acube (maybe soft3) were selling them off relatively cheaply either towards the end of the 90's or early 2000's.  Wish I 'd known about it as I'd have snapped one up for myself.
 

Offline Matt_H

Re: Amiga in a 3.5 Inch Bay
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 10:28:05 PM »
Quote from: Rob;637832
Red sold one a few years ago and it went for quite a tidy sum.  I read some time after that one of the companies that formed Acube (maybe soft3) were selling them off relatively cheaply either towards the end of the 90's or early 2000's.  Wish I 'd known about it as I'd have snapped one up for myself.


I was tracking these things way back when they were in development, but I had no idea they ever made it to market until Red's sale a while back. I think they could have sold a ton of these if people actually knew they were available. So unfortunate...
 

Offline Crom00

Re: Amiga in a 3.5 Inch Bay
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 10:32:44 PM »
That has got to be the best implementation of an Amiga clone ever. That form factor is killer. Made so much sense it was never released...