Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OOOOOOO….what could THIS be  (Read 14659 times)

Description:

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
Re: OOOOOOO….what could THIS be
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2011, 01:24:28 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;627030
Well since those "involved" don't know what products they're actually intending to ship and one eagle-eyed resident has already identified the device, here's the specs:

Android 2.1 WIFI / 3G/ HDMI/ 1080P/ 3D GAME
Processor:Telechip Tcc8902 High-performance ARM 11 processors
Frequency 720MHz Support for hardware 2D/3D graphics acceleration
Memory : DDR2 256MB
Storage : Built-in flash memory 2GB Support extemal TF card,maximum capacity of 32GB
Wireless : IEEE802.11b/g wireless network
USB : USB1.1 high speed interface and USB2.0 OTG
Video Output: HDMI1.3 Full HD Video Output interface Analog AV composite video output interface
Audio : 3.5mm headphone jack
High-quality stereo loud speaker
Built-in microphone
Headset maximum output power of 40mW
Frequency response:20Hz-20KHz
SNR: greater than 90db
Size:7 inch
Resolution:WVGA 800*480
Color: 16milion colors
Operating: Resistive Touch Screen Single
Other : Size:193*115*14.3mm
Color:Black/White/Silver
Weight:350mg
Battery:Built-in lithium polymer battery 1400MAh
Accesories: Power adapter(output DC 9V/ 1.5A)
USB Cable

While they may look similar, those are not the correct specs.  From my understanding, they have three models.  A 7", either an 8" or 9" model, and a 10" model, all with better specs than that.

I would gladly show you the spec page, but I'm not sure it's ready for open pub yet, so until I'm asked, I'll have to simply say that you're wrong on this one Darrin.  Nice arm-chair quarterbacking though.. :)

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2011, 01:29:31 AM »
Quote from: Argo;627054
Could we turn those in to thumbnails? It's messing the front page.

How many mods does it take to post a news announcement?

That's ironic coming from a Moderator!

Why is everyone picking on Karlos? He's under a lot of pressure.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2011, 01:32:20 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;627056
"Depends which way you screw them"...

Oh, that's lightbulbs!  Sorry.  :D

Actually that's kind of true. You turn things different ways in USA compared to the rest of the world. Darrin you are so smart you don't even know it! :hammer:

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2011, 01:47:18 AM »
Wanye, Wayne, Wayne. What has happened to you :rolleyes:

The Classic Amiga is far from dead. There is a lot happening at the moment in Amigaland. The upcoming Natami + the minimig will mean everyone will switch over when they become available and their current Amiga precious dies out. Also there are lots of people investing in the Amiga community. What about DiscreetFX, Aeon, Natami, Acube? I thinks these investors are genuine as they are well aware that they will make no profit from investing in the Amiga community. That's more than what i can say for certain others i know of...

As for your words about the Amiga community ripping itself to pieces i think you are wrong. We are defending what is truely Amiga while trying to keep people away who have no interest in what is truely Amiga and simply are trying to make a quick buck. These are the people ripping the Amiga community apart. I'm sorry Wayne but i think you are on the wrong side  :)

Offline Plaz

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2011, 01:57:32 AM »
Quote from: Wayne;627058
Ok.  Now I'm mad,

Wayne about the only thing you can do to change the norm is to disable posting to Amiga.org

It's pretty clear that clone hardware with Amiga "stickers" is non-news for number of people here. No need to get upset. If all this branding can lead to something interesting in the future, I'm willing to wait and see. If not, I'm as unexcited and the next goob.

Plaz

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2011, 02:00:07 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;627067

The Classic Amiga is far from dead. There is a lot happening at the moment in Amigaland. The upcoming Natami + the minimig will mean everyone will switch over when they become available and their current Amiga precious dies out. Also there are lots of people investing in the Amiga community. What about DiscreetFX, Aeon, Natami, Acube? I thinks these investors are genuine as they are well aware that they will make no profit from investing in the Amiga community. That's more than what i can say for certain others i know of...

As for your words about the Amiga community ripping itself to pieces i think you are wrong. We are defending what is truely Amiga while trying to keep people away who have no interest in what is truely Amiga and simply are trying to make a quick buck. These are the people ripping the Amiga community apart. I'm sorry Wayne but i think you are on the wrong side  :)

Yeah a bit extreme.  Generalist classification of "you guys". I stopped reading at that point.
As to specs of the Amiga branded tablets well FFS nothing was posted so people will speculate. (get it SPECulate).  And poor old Franko will be squirming to keep his tongue.
Smile and wave Franko just smile and wave.  
Waiting for specs but guess as everyone else has that these will be commodity hardware with an Amiga logo to multiply the margin.  Wouldn't it be easier for them just to set up a website with the wallpapers and sell the sticky labels online.  
Why go to all the trouble?

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2011, 02:04:49 AM »
If the specs are inline with the Gen2 tablets coming out and there is a 10" model with GPS, I might be interested.  I've been thinking about getting a tablet and have been watching the developments.  Possibly a birthday present when June rolls around.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2011, 02:19:57 AM »
June is your partner yeah?

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2011, 02:27:42 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;627067

I sought treatment for my Peter Pan syndrome, grew up, and realized that the Amiga is dead.

The Classic Amiga is far from dead. There is a lot happening at the moment in Amigaland.
delusions.

The upcoming Natami + the minimig
How is that not dead, outdated, and/or useless.  Where can I buy one on a store shelf of a major retailer?  Why would anyone (as a non fanboy) really want to?

Also there are lots of people investing in the Amiga community. What about DiscreetFX
Touche.

Aeon, Natami, Acube? I thinks these investors are genuine as they are well aware that they will make no profit from investing in the Amiga community.
... and how many of those three will actually end up producing anything for the 200 or so of you left, only 25-50 of which will actually buy ANYTHING?

I can see your feelings on the matter, and even try my damnedest to understand them, but cannot agree.  

Especially from the outside looking in.  It just looks like a bunch of delusional fanboys out there praising "truly Amiga" when, in fact, most of you weren't even born in 1994.  :)

I can respect the fact that most of you actually like dicking around with antiquated, pain-in-the-arse systems.  Hey, Fleecy has his sheep, so I can accept that everyone's gotta have a hobby, but to sit here and trash Amiga Inc's even TRYING to do something (without anyone here even really knowing what it is yet) just smacks of drooling fanboyism, which -- when worshiping a platform that's been dead for 16 years -- I find kinda sad.

Sorry, I know it's trolling, and I realize that you pretty much think I'm both an idiot and crazy for wanting to move forward instead of looking backwards, but I just can't understand this dying devotion to a dead platform.

For 1985 through about 1992, it was the $#!&.  By 1995 when Newtek abandoned the platform, it was already being surpassed by even the PC. By 2002 with the invent of OS X, the Amiga platform had zero point zero chance of ever being anything more than a fading blip on the old "machine that goes ping" covered in spider webs in the corner.  Again, I get that some of you find it interesting to actually tinker with your toys, but I guess I've just gotten old and indifferent.

I actually have gotten to the point that I really don't like computers any more.  I don't like tinkering, I don't even really enjoy playing with Web sites any more, even though I still run/operate/own about a half-dozen or so.  It's just not my thing, so maybe I'm the wrong person to sit and read all this tripe about hobbyists companies coming out with crap no average computer user (read: non-fanboy) will ever bother with buying.

In the words of the immortal Emily Litella, as played by the incomparable Gilda Radner, "I don't get it".

Wayne
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 02:35:12 AM by Wayne »
//* Signature Free *//

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2011, 02:36:14 AM »
Yes we all understand the reality of classic Amiga's and more than most of us were here in 94. You should know that.  But for someone that ran AORG for such a long, respected, time don't you see the irony of your post in its context.
I think you're on the wrong forum.
We can look both forward and back.  It's the only way to do it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 02:39:21 AM by gertsy »

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2011, 02:44:59 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;627087
I think you're on the wrong forum.
Maybe so.  Like I said some time ago, I got to a point in my life where I realized that if I hit a 300 million dollar lottery, it just wouldn't make any sense to invest a dime into anything Amiga-related.  Prior to about 2001, I don't honestly think I felt that way.

I just don't understand the context of trashing Amiga Inc for trying to head in what -- at least -- I think is the right direction while pedantically defending "teh true Amiga".

If everyone understands the reality of the situation, why the reticence to look forward and the nail-digging-into-the floor to keep from being drug into the future?

I say again.  Amiga Inc even looking into moving towards Android is a good thing.  No.  It's not "teh true Amiga" but -- as you just admitted -- you all really do know in your heart that "teh true Amiga" is a dead end.  

No one, whether AI, Genesi, or anyone else will ever (nor could they ever) build anything "Amiga" (to your definitions) that would ever satisfy any of you (or become a commercial success).

The SOLE potential exception to that rule would be if Amiga Inc would/could pull an "OS X" and ground up the Amiga philosophy into BSD on an open platform for sale.  

Take that "Amiga X" platform and combine it with Android's functionality, or even build an OS to run on an Android device, and I think they'd have something there.
//* Signature Free *//

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2011, 02:54:46 AM »
Well, according to posts in the CA.Org forums, these tablets are iContain Amiga 7" tablets.

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2011, 02:55:07 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;627072
Yeah a bit extreme.  Generalist classification of "you guys". I stopped reading at that point.

You're right, with my apologies.  Like I said, I'd been waiting for about a week for all the fanboys to go on the offensive against AI and their Android tablet, so when it predictably happened, I probably over-reacted.

Absolutely nothing new there  :)

Wayne

Why go to all the trouble?
Being the optimist that I am (har de har har), I choose to hope that there's a bigger picture going on in the background than simply rebadging Korean tablets.   Then again, I guess I've been foolishly optimistic for about what... 20 years now, so I'm prone to hope for the best when it comes to "teh brand"..

How else could I feel bad when I get screwed over for my troubles?
//* Signature Free *//

Offline HenryCase

• Show only replies by HenryCase
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2011, 02:55:59 AM »
Quote from: Wayne;627058
Ok.  Now I'm mad, and I've rewritten this about a dozen times, because -- like an argument you know you'll have with your wife when you get home -- I just knew that the moment that someone posted anything about Amiga's upcoming tablet, all the little negative cockroaches would scurry out from the cupboard to do anything they could to trash the idea.

While I wish there were something more "Amiga" about an Android tablet, and even though I already own a far superior iPad, even *I* think that the move towards supporting Android is the right way to go for Amiga Inc.

The way I see it, you can either be part of the problem, or part of the solution, and hell, even I'll probably toss in to buy an Amiga Android tablet, if for no other reason than to get in on the ground floor of developing for it.

Wayne, firstly you've jumped the gun a little with your post. There was only one or two strongly negative posts here, which considering the opinionated nature of the Amiga community as a whole is pretty mild. I thought you would have developed a thicker skin by now, perhaps you just had a bad day, happens to everyone.

As for the whole 'you can either be part of the problem, or part of the solution', it's worth taking a step back and examining what we're discussing. What is it that we are looking to develop? Is our attachment to the Amiga computer or the Amiga brand that keeps us here?

It's an interesting question, one that often arises. The obvious answer is that its the Amiga computer that we're interested in, but the brand clearly has it own draw too. It's not as simple as just saying it's the hardware we like, as there were similar devices to Amiga that we don't find ourselves discussing (such as the one home computer that was arguably superior to the Amiga at the time, the Sharp X68000). The draw with the Amiga is the whole experience: hardware, software, community.

What is iconic embodiment of the Amiga experience. Some will point to the OS, and it has been the development of the Amiga-like OS choices that has largely kept the Amiga scene fresh. I'm personally more drawn to the hardware, so the new FPGA Amigas are the most interesting projects for me (as well as AROS).

Maybe this makes me 'part of the problem'. Perhaps there's something I'm not understanding, in that I don't see what's exciting about Commodore or Amiga-branded products that don't have the Amiga hardware, software or community legacy backing them up. To put it bluntly, why should I care? I mean, I already have a decent PC, if I'm buying something else I would like it to offer something different from what I've already got.

If bringing back a higher level of brand awareness for Amiga is what you're hoping for, then I can understand that, but let's face it, the brand will represent something different. It's like what happened to the Atari brand, where the company that originally built up the brand is long gone, and the name is used to enhance the profile of a different company (game publisher Infogrammes changed their name to Atari, SA. in 2009, according to Wikipedia).

It's tricky to separate the name from the experience: MorphOS users had to do it, AROS users too, and now C=USA is indirectly forcing AmigaOS users to do the same. I'd say the resistance is understandable, but hopefully once the dust settles we'll realise the computers we enjoy haven't gone anywhere, and we'd be better off leaving similarly-named but different products to those that enjoy them.
"OS5 is so fast that only Chuck Norris can use it." AeroMan

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2011, 02:58:00 AM »
Quote from: Wayne;627089
.....Take that "Amiga X" platform and combine it with Android's functionality, or even build an OS to run on an Android device, and I think they'd have something there.

I agree.  As long as it is clear to purchasers what they are buying.  Nobody here would want an unsuspecting consumer to buy something commodity under a pretense.  If there is real value add, then great. If it is just about using the Amiga name to lift margin on commodity hardware.... ohhhh dear....

Rollup rollup buy the Hyundai Mustang...

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #44 from previous page: April 03, 2011, 03:01:42 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;627100
I agree.  As long as it is clear to purchasers what they are buying.  Nobody here would want an unsuspecting consumer to buy something commodity under a pretense.  If there is real value add, then great. If it is just about using the Amiga name to lift margin on commodity hardware.... ohhhh dear....

Rollup rollup buy the Hyundai Mustang...

exactly.