Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: iPad 2  (Read 26451 times)

Description:

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
Re: iPad 2
« Reply #149 from previous page: March 07, 2011, 05:28:09 AM »
While I'm not nec' interested in the iPad2, it's good to see the handheld/tablet segment finally getting some momentum in the industry. (This from the proud owner of an Atari LYNX, like Amiga another forgotten underdog of classic tech'.)

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #150 on: March 07, 2011, 05:41:12 AM »
Quote from: djrikki;619898
I buy things that I 'need', not what I 'want' I suppose this goes against what a lot of people practice in this day and age.

hey dj! i know (like me) you WANT a X1000 but i know (like me) you don't NEED one;)

btw, I personally don't believe in tablets but if I were in the market I'd buy the new HP Palm TouchPad with WebOS as Palm/WebOS has always been my favourite PDA/smartphone OS
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #151 on: March 07, 2011, 08:12:34 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;620128
Somebody lock this thread, this is an Amiga site. Until AROS runs on an iPad 2 I'm not interested.
There is an iOS port of AROS being worked on by Sonic... Though you will need to jailbreak your device in order to install it.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #152 on: March 07, 2011, 09:08:39 AM »
Q.  If iPad and Apple are so cool how come Steve Jobs tucks his top into his jeans ?
He's just an ordinary geek...!

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #153 on: March 07, 2011, 09:19:57 AM »
Quote from: djrikki;619999
Got zero experience in using it, but I believe you can design/draw an interface complete with buttons, listviews, add windows etc like you would do in something like VB or AVD.  The language is C++, perhaps it supports other languages as well.

Xcode (the former Interface Builder part) has a very polished editor. If you know what you are doing you can manage hundreds of options with no problems while maintaining a good overview. The concept of nib-files (basically deep fried gadgets, menus and windows, that your software doesn´t have to configure or even instantiate again) is a great idea. The language of choice is Objective C. The C++-bridge is there, but it´s clumsy like a Sidecar. Java support is somewhat defying the purpose, because you lose the cross-platform advantage and iPhone & iPad don´t support Java at all. XCode includes an iPod/iPhone/iPad-simulator that runs native Mac-code and libraries instead of the ones of the development target, which may lead to incompatibilities.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:32:10 AM by lsmart »

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #154 on: March 07, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;620151
Q.  If iPad and Apple are so cool how come Steve Jobs tucks his top into his jeans ?
He's just an ordinary geek...!

A geek indeed: Steve never selects his public outfit at random. Until 1998 he was wearing expensive and highly fashionable suits at all presentations. Steve figured in order to get the "Think Different" slogan to work and to re-adapt to the rainbow colored Apple-crowd he had to choose a style that was both visually appealing and orderly, as well as clearly distinctive from the elite he was hanging out with. Not too counter-culture, not too stylish, not too business-like.

I bet he tried 500 different styles and made thrice as many photographs before settling on his trademark turtleneck, which also happens to be a style he is very comfortable wearing, since he used to be a jeans & T-shirt-guy in the late 70s.

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #155 on: March 07, 2011, 09:46:35 AM »
Quote from: kolla;620097
So I decided I want to copy my music over to my ipad, and since..
a) it doesn't grasp neither ogg nor flac
b) does not allow me to just copy over files directly, like one can do on any other device
I decided to re-rip my CD collection of ... ah.. dunno, maybe 400 CDs or so, on my minimac. What's more natural than to use iTunes, it even does it automagically when CDDA is inserted. However, iTunes is also mindnumblingly dumb. So I have this old Basement Jaxx album, "The Singles", which have tracks that are by Basement Jaxx, but also quite a few that are Basement Jaxx featuring some other artist. What does iTunes do? It now thinks I have 6 albums called "The Singles", of which one is by an artist "Basement Jaxx", one is of an artist named "Basement Jaxx Feat. Kele le Roc" and so on. And not just that, it even has created directories in the filesystem like this as well. And it does this same crap with compilation albums, creating a total mess in the filesystem. And when I sync over to the iPad, the mess is recreated there. I find myself unable to listen to a complete album, as neither iTunes nor the iPod software seem to be aware that the collection of files are actually the same friggin' album.

So what am I doing wrong and how is this supposed to be user friendly?
Kolla Bear 4,  Bloodline Persia 0
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 09:54:18 AM by ChaosLord »
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline SKAN

• Show only replies by SKAN
« Reply #156 on: March 07, 2011, 10:01:06 AM »
Quote from: adz;620116
Yes, that's a sound argument, please share with us where you learnt to form such coherent and, dare I say, inspiring sentences.

Sure dude, quite easy. I learnt from Digiman.
[...emulation is for sissies...]

Offline TheDaddy

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #157 on: March 07, 2011, 10:21:29 AM »
Just link your salary details straight to Steve Jobs' bank account ;)

Offline nOw2

• Show only replies by nOw2
« Reply #158 on: March 07, 2011, 10:34:56 AM »
Quote from: kolla;620097
So what am I doing wrong and how is this supposed to be user friendly?
Your audio meta data is wrong.

Offline countzero

• Show only replies by countzero
    • http://blog.coze.org
« Reply #159 on: March 07, 2011, 11:12:52 PM »
Quote from: nOw2;620163
Your audio meta data is wrong.

Yes kolla, how dare you question the way laid fore you by holy Jobs?  Surely you must re organise all your music collection as he sees fit. You do not 'think different' enough, thats your problem.
I believe in mt. Fuji

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #160 on: March 07, 2011, 11:23:57 PM »
So having bad metadata gets you four points?

Quote from: ChaosLord;620157
Kolla Bear 4,  Bloodline Persia 0
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #161 on: March 08, 2011, 12:08:18 AM »
:lol: Macs are derided for being too simple and user friendly... But as soon as you are required to adjust some metadata (easy enough to do if you right click on the the song selections), then all of a sudden the Mac is too difficult to use! Come on, we are Amiga users we shall not be overcome by a bit of power user work ;)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #162 on: March 08, 2011, 12:43:31 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;620262
:lol: Macs are derided for being too simple and user friendly...

$?£>%^<&<%>>?£?@@@!!!!

After the 48hrs of of fiddling I've had to do to get E-UAE to work (By work I mean give more than "2.17 MIPS" rating in Sysinfo) that just isn't funny!

("sudo echo sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=536870912; sudo purge" before each run does the trick and no, putting the value in /etc/sysctl.conf AND/OR /etc/rc doesn't work.)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline kolla

« Reply #163 on: March 08, 2011, 01:11:56 AM »
Metadata my ass - so just because meta data on what... is it CDDB this sorry excuse of a program is using ... is wrong, iTunes has to do it wrong too? Well, with all the screwed data on CDDB, that simply wont work, as I can tell already. And btw - it is not just a matter of changing the meta data, the file structure remains fubar even if I do so. And apart from manually moving the album dicretory into the "compilation" directory, how d I tell iTunes that this is a compilation album by changing meta data? Anyways, my point is that iTunes should already know this, as it is the program that rips the CD in the first place - I've never really stumbled on a ripping program that behaves this silly when it comes to this - heck, most programs even let _me_ decide how to organize my files as I see fit.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline nicholas

« Reply #164 on: March 08, 2011, 01:17:24 AM »
Quote from: kolla;620272
Metadata my ass - so just because meta data on what... is it CDDB this sorry excuse of a program is using ... is wrong, iTunes has to do it wrong too? Well, with all the screwed data on CDDB, that simply wont work, as I can tell already. And btw - it is not just a matter of changing the meta data, the file structure remains fubar even if I do so. And apart from manually moving the album dicretory into the "compilation" directory, how d I tell iTunes that this is a compilation album by changing meta data? Anyways, my point is that iTunes should already know this, as it is the program that rips the CD in the first place - I've never really stumbled on a ripping program that behaves this silly when it comes to this - heck, most programs even let _me_ decide how to organize my files as I see fit.

Try changing the CDDB server address to http://cddb.musicbrainz.org

Much better quality of meta-data.

Wel, that's if his Royal Jobsness has decreed that you may choose which server to use.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini