Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: iPad 2  (Read 26449 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: iPad 2
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2011, 02:47:51 AM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;619494
I'll wait to see what the Android manufacturers pull off.

Prevert! ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2011, 03:04:25 AM »
The iPad is a tremendously fun and useful device once you get past the idea it was never intended to be a replacement for a full fledged PC.  They are merely appliances, really - the limitations of ANY (Apple or any other OS variety other than a desktop OS) tablet are extremely visible.

For what they do, they do the task very well.  I am extremely happy with my iPhone and I'll be ordering an iPad as soon as pre-orders go live.  I imagine I will get a great amount of use out of it business wise for paperwork on the go, since I don't really need the full functionality of a laptop in my day to day needs list.

I've never seen a person yet that's tried the iPad rev. 1 that didn't say that it was a neat concept and most stated that they could see the appeal, even if it wasn't what suited their needs.

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2011, 04:29:22 AM »
iPad=content consumption device, not content creation device.

Offline warpdesign

• Show only replies by warpdesign
    • http://www.warpdesign.fr
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2011, 07:38:34 AM »

That's harsh, we have plenty of evidence that Microsft were actually guilty of anticompetitive practices... If you don't like Apple, don't buy thir products, there are plenty of other solutions... I would suggest, less elegant solutions

Just like there is anticompetitive practices of Apple... What do you think ? There's no magic. And Apple is no different. Amiga wouldn't be different either if they were still alive.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2011, 08:03:42 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;619464
@Bloodline i'm impressed. Can't believe you never had a hit.

You would be surprised how much politics there is in the music industry, if I could do it again I wouldn't sign with a record company again. You only really need them to get your record into bricks and mortar shops, and in theory they invest in you... but you would be better off building your own business plan, hiring your own PR agency and then releasing via iTunes. I could type for hours about what I learned :)

I'm not making music at this time, software development pays the bills for the time being...

Were you in the video? Maybe the person in your avatar? I intend to listen more in the near future. Plus added your band on facebook. Cheers.

That's me in my Avatar, let me know if there are any songs you particularly like. It's great to get feedback ;)

@thread - that's basically it, the iPad is a content consumption device... The iPad 2 is going blur that a bit.

If anyone is interested, Apple demoed iMove and Garage Band at the keynote (both pieces of software only cost $4.99!?!?!)... And both look extremely good editing tools, they are far beyond the normal consumer level application I've seen before... And while I couldn't produce a song on it, I could easily write a song and put together a demo, which can be exported to Logic and then finished. That's actually something of a killer app for me :-o

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2011, 08:50:28 AM »
Quote from: warpdesign;619535
Just like there is anticompetitive practices of Apple... What do you think ? There's no magic. And Apple is no different. Amiga wouldn't be different either if they were still alive.
Ok, I'll bite. Can you list the anticompetitive practices, that Apple have been guilty of?

Microsoft, for example, threatened OEM PC manufacturers that if they tried to sell their system with a nonwindows OS, MS would stop selling them Windows licences... That's anticompetitive... There are plenty of other examples...

But there are loads of alternatives to Apple products, if you want to live an Apple free life you can and it's easy... Trying to live a Windows free life is almost impossible... I have a windows machine here for a few bits of software/games... And most employers will force you to use a Windows machine... Apple's strong Market position is driven by consumer demand (Apple using clever marketing and clearly defined Market segments to make things easy for the average consumer).

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2011, 08:56:40 AM »
@bloodline

Didn't you know? Apple has been allowing those Puny Humans to be destroyed and even profiting from it!
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2011, 08:59:18 AM »
Quote from: Transition;619539
@bloodline

Didn't you know? Apple has been allowing those Puny Humans to be destroyed and even profiting from it!
:lol: evil... Yes... ;)

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2011, 09:05:17 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;619538
if you want to live an Apple free life you can and it's easy... Trying to live a Windows free life is almost impossible...

As you know bloodline, I only went online for the first time last June and owned nothing but Amigas up until then when I bought these old iMacs... :)

While as you probably know I'm not Apples biggest fan had it been a PC running windows I'd been offered at the time then I would never have bought it or ever ventured into the world of the internet... :)

Living life without a PC or Mac is not impossible (I know you said almost) it's quite simply a matter of choice, I could easily go back to just my Amigas anytime but I do accept that for most it would be very difficult to do so but impossible... no... :)

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2011, 09:17:28 AM »
Mac OS should be a real OS choice, but because it is tied to Mac hardware you don't have that as a choice.
I stay well clear of proprietary hardware. I was considering the Samsung 7inch tablet, it has a proprietary connector as well as USB 2.
If you want my business put your apps on Android as well.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2011, 09:21:02 AM »
@ Franko
I'm running Kubuntu and I would say that the KDE desktop is inspired by Mac OS and Amiga OS. It took me thirty minutes to familiarise myself with the interface. Compared to Gnome desktop which must have been inspired by Frankenstein.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
I think apple should have a tag line like
"iPad2 everything the iPad1 should off been."

My 2 cents on the whole iPad thing, Firstly I think what apple have done is pretty impressive and it is what a tablet should of been, before they tried to be a complete PC, but just failed, they needed their own custom built OS and apps and finally iPad has shown the industry to wake up and develop programs that are designed for touch interface. But it their stupid lock down I hate not just on software but hardware, why have they not got sd card slot or hdmi connection, why do I need to pay £30 to get a hdmi connection, why cant I replace the battery for maybe a better one or when the battery final dies why does it cost £80 to replace, why does a so call internet central device not support flash, (i know a lot of people have no love for flash on here, but I do and it is part of the web weather you like it or not). why, why, why.

So I say thanks to apple for creating this market but no thanks to its all control, I more interested in the Blackberry Playbook, rumor is it will not only support it own qnx OS, but also android 3. Very tempting.

But one last thing...any one remember why the iPad came about. It was because of the Netbook hit, I think Asus and it first eee netbook get over looked for what it tried to do, create a lowest possible cost portable computer as they could, that vision of low cost computing so that anyone could get one seems to have all but disappeared which is a shame really, I'm typing this one my AspireOne and it really given me a great little computer to play on, it plays full screen flash fine and I can do and run what I want on linux and of course I can run Aros, and its a shame that not more simple apps and programs where developed for these kind of devices and the vision of low cost computing isent still the main objective for these companies.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 10:46:03 AM by AmigaNG »

Offline cpfuture

• Show only replies by cpfuture
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2011, 09:40:04 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;619538

But there are loads of alternatives to Apple products, if you want to live an Apple free life you can and it's easy... Trying to live a Windows free life is almost impossible... I have a windows machine here for a few bits of software/games... And most employers will force you to use a Windows machine... Apple's strong Market position is driven by consumer demand (Apple using clever marketing and clearly defined Market segments to make things easy for the average consumer).

Agreed. You could easily live without any Apple product in your life if you choose so. Avoiding Windows is practically impossible.

I love the way things *just work* on Apple products. I love the design of the hardware AND the software and the way they work together. I love the way that *thought* has gone into the actual use of the product instead of just throwing some hardware components together, slapping an OS on top of it and shoving it inside a box.

As far as the iPad specifically is concerned, I think it's a brilliant product. I use it for casual surfing on the couch, I use it for my daily fix of comic book reading before I go to sleep, I'll often watch the latest news broadcast while eating breakfast in the kitchen, or just stream it wirelessly to my TV with AirPlay. I also have access to my enormous Plex library when I'm away from home, which is nice. "But you can do that with a laptop too!! And you have way more codecs and freedom to.." Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz). Yes, I know. Of course you could do most of those things with a laptop, yes, or even a desktop for that matter, but that's missing the point! I don't *need* to carry around a laptop to do those things and I don't *want* to carry a laptop around. A laptop is too clunky to carry around in the way that I can carry an iPad. The iPad's battery just keeps going hours and hours longer than any laptop I've used. It's instantly on whenever I want to look something up quickly. And I've tried reading comic books on a laptop in bed. It sucked. :)

People need to realize that the iPad is not meant to be a replacement for a computer ("Ooh, if it doesn't have 8 USB ports, 4 SD slots, E-SATA, HDMI, Toslink and microUSB ports, then I don't want it"). That's why tablets failed miserably in the market place for almost 10 years before the iPad arrived. Tablet makers just saw them as another PC.

Offline djnick

• Show only replies by djnick
    • http://www.djnick.rs
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2011, 09:53:30 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;619536
...but you would be better off building your own business plan, hiring your own PR agency and then releasing via iTunes. I could type for hours about what I learned :)

I'm not making music at this time, software development pays the bills for the time being...

That's me in my Avatar, let me know if there are any songs you particularly like. It's great to get feedback ;)

If anyone is interested, Apple demoed iMove and Garage Band at the keynote (both pieces of software only cost $4.99!?!?!)... And both look extremely good editing tools, they are far beyond the normal consumer level application I've seen before... And while I couldn't produce a song on it, I could easily write a song and put together a demo, which can be exported to Logic and then finished. That's actually something of a killer app for me :-o

I like your music. Strange that you aren't well known world star, your music is very good! :)
Anyway, have you tried to release via Tunecore? http://www.tunecore.com/

I tested my work with them and they seems to be really great company. It is very simplified, automated, and your stuff can be everywhere online for live preview and download. Also there's CDBaby but I`ve never tried them. Releasing via Tunecore - your music will appear on Amazon, iTunes, MySpace, Nokia Music Store, eMusic etc... if search djnick on amazon [or iTunes] - some of my stuff will apear :)

Also, other than that - take a look at some music [SFX & trailer] I did for iPhone game my friends are developing for nearly 2 years [and finishing those days]. This game should appear on appstore in next 2 weeks, I hope:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sgBHDSlArs

There is also me [my gf & all other developers] included in the game too :)

http://www.xpectgames.com/nomad_deejay.html

Creating for iOS is now finally possible since January - by simple exporting from Flash CS5 to .IPA :) Everybody that knows programming for Flash can develop its own game! Long Live Apple :)

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2011, 10:00:35 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;619392
@Kolla you are thinking of the iPad like it's a "PC" device... It isn't, the average Joe on the street really doesn't care about all that tech stuff... And that I guess is why iPads sell and other tablets don't!

iPad sold well last year because it was first to market, and there were no viable competitors until late in the year. Pretty much all analysts I've seen expect Apple's sales to be significantly outnumbered by competitor within a year, though they might remain the largest individual player.

Just like Android is easily overtaking iOS as a larger platform despite Apple's lead.

So to say that other tablets don't sell is misleading.

Offline djnick

• Show only replies by djnick
    • http://www.djnick.rs
« Reply #74 from previous page: March 04, 2011, 10:09:20 AM »
Quote from: vidarh;619551
iPad sold well last year because it was first to market, and there were no viable competitors until late in the year. Pretty much all analysts I've seen expect Apple's sales to be significantly outnumbered by competitor within a year, though they might remain the largest individual player.

Just like Android is easily overtaking iOS as a larger platform despite Apple's lead.

So to say that other tablets don't sell is misleading.
I have seen / tested Galaxy Tab last month and I was amazed - it has quick response, looks and works good, has cam etc. I decided to buy [it is very very very expensive here, ~1000 EUR!] it but just to check iPad first. When I tried iPad... OMG. It worked 10 times better, faster, smoother than anything I`ve seen! So - after V2 coming, I definitely decided to buy myself one :) At least it has front HD cam that none of those others has :)

I have read many tests in computer magazines here - and iPad is definitive - the leading tab.