Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Random Full Screen Issues  (Read 1997 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
New Random Full Screen Issues
« on: February 05, 2011, 07:46:47 PM »
Everything was fine, I could play ScummVM, Giana, etc. in full screen, well in the upper left hand corner of the full screen for some games, but still.

Now all of a sudden (and I didn't change a thing) all my games come up with garbled graphics in full screen mode.
I tried deleting prefs in the prefs folder and recreating them through monitor and MUI settings, and I tried a MorphOS update, but to no avail.
What could have possibly caused this to happen?

I wish I had a screen shot to show, but it is concentrated on the upper half of the screen, the graphics look like neon shredded paper and I can't make anything out, I just have to exit the programs or do a cold reboot if I can't find my way out of the game.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Cammy

Re: New Random Full Screen Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 12:52:10 AM »
Have you tried running those same games in a different screen depth? Perhaps they are only meant to run in 16bit mode or something.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 05:33:55 AM »
Yes Cammy, that is the thing is I did not change a thing.

I was being an innocent little lamb, trying to add in new games for ScummVM. I had loaded up Day of the Tentacle and set it to full screen when I first noticed this.

At this point I presumed that the game itself did not like the settings I had chosen, so I played with other full screen settings only to get the same result. I then settled for Windowed mode then tried to add another game only to find that I had the same issue.
So then I loaded up a game that I had already configured and tested in Full Screen mode only to find that it now had display issues as well.

Logically, I took a step outside of ScummVM and tried out Giana's Return, only to find that it now had display issues which it did not have before. Before it displayed as it should, well as it should I guess in the limited Amiga environment, where in you get to play the game in a little box in the upper left hand corner of your screen, but now it is just all scrambled graphics that take up the entire top half of the screen.
 Of course I could just play Giana in Windowed mode, but then I have to lean real close to the screen to see what I'm doing, even in 2X.

So anyhow, I did try different screen modes, well those which I seem to be limited to because if you try to set your eMac to anything below 1024x768 you won't like what you see when you reboot, or should I say,"don't see".

Of course maybe I'm doing something wrong in regards to adjusting the screen modes, but I wouldn't know because I've never received any clear help in regards to this when I've posted before about it in the forums.

As for the scrambled graphics in full screen mode. Well your guess is as good as mine. Like I said, I didn't change a thing, I didn't add a thing, etc. Unless of course by adding DOTT to ScummVM I have somehow unsettled MorphOS's equilibrium.

So there is my rant, I'm not trying to piss on the MorphOS team's efforts, it's just that little issues like this tend to piss me off, and I must say again that I dearly miss the classic Amiga Prefs drawer. It was so much more clear to understand and work with.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 05:37:37 AM by XDelusion »
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 07:39:53 AM »
What do all of these games have in common? SDL maybe?

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 07:44:45 AM »
I've had that same thought...

...but what could I have possibly done? I didn't change any of the SDL settings (if that is possible). Is there someplace I could look to see if something, somehow, magically, got messed up while I was adding in the DOTT directory to ScummVM?

Offline motorollin

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 07:50:51 AM »
Sorry I have no idea as I've rarely used MorphOS and rarely used SDL on an Amiga[-like] OS. Why these things go wrong is anybody's guess, but the logical course of action is to investigate the common features of the two bits of software. Since graphics are the problem, and the graphics for the OS itself are ok, I think the logical starting point is to investigate anything which is specific to graphics and is shared by both games. I'm assuming that this is going to be SDL :)

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline pVC

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 09:59:23 AM »
I'd bet PowerSDL issue.. I think I had some fullscreen gfx errors in the past too, but haven't got them lately. Check your powersdl.library versions and try to reset its settings? It's an external library and MorphOS update/reinstall doesn't help with it.

Another option which comes in mind might be low gfx memory situation. If you have more vmem in use than earlier and it would cause some trashing for reason or other. Try to reduce its usage elsewhere and try games then.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 07:32:04 PM »
Here's what I did to fix it.

Launched a SDL app. Right clicked in the upper left hand corner. Went into properties, changed setting from PUblic Screen to Ambient screen.

Also using latest PowerSDL.

Not sure why I had to do this, but it works again now.

Anyhow, off to post my latest issue.

Offline motorollin

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 07:35:19 PM »
Weird... Still, glad it's sorted :)

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2