Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A1200/A600 4xIDE Interface

AuthorTopic: Another hardware teaser by the MorphOS-Team  (Read 1906 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline zylesea

Another hardware teaser by the MorphOS-Team
« on: December 29, 2010, 03:40:36 PM »
A proof of concept for another potential target hardware:
http://g5.cybergraphx.de/iMacG5-1.jpg
http://g5.cybergraphx.de/iMacG5-2.jpg

As always: No promises, no schedule included. Just a poof of concept.

Offline dentunes

Re: Another hardware teaser by the MorphOS-Team
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 04:05:05 AM »
So that would be the iMac G5 20" iSight model. Pretty much the best G5 iMac they made, I believe. They still sell for around $6-700 AUD
Amiga, Amiga, Where for art thou Amiga?
 

Offline ciento

Re: Another hardware teaser by the MorphOS-Team
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 06:15:53 AM »
Hi, I hope you will be able to disclose the next two Mac models that will be
supported ahead of time, with detail if its one with many variants. Advance notice of specifics allows people to shop with some certainty. G5 and Macbook certainly
are worth shopping for!
Cheers :)
 

Offline kedawa

Re: Another hardware teaser by the MorphOS-Team
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 04:12:47 PM »
I hope these machines do get supported.  They are my ideal PPC machine since the G5 powermacs have such a high failure rate.
 

Offline amigadave

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2004
  • Posts: 3836
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: Another hardware teaser by the MorphOS-Team
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 04:56:54 PM »
Quote from: ciento;602803
Hi, I hope you will be able to disclose the next two Mac models that will be
supported ahead of time, with detail if its one with many variants. Advance notice of specifics allows people to shop with some certainty. G5 and Macbook certainly
are worth shopping for!
Cheers :)

The MorphOS Development Team does not disclose which models they are going to support until they are very close to being ready to release a version of MorphOS for those models.  I don't think they are going to change their ways now, so don't get your hopes up that they will announce which Mac models will be supported in the future so you can go shopping.  They have always said don't buy any computer to run MorphOS on in the future, until support for that model is released, or at least confirmed that release of support for such model(s) is eminent, by the Team.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)
 

Offline jj

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Feb 2002
  • Posts: 4035
  • Country: wales
  • Total likes: 4
  • Gender: Male
Re: Another hardware teaser by the MorphOS-Team
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 05:17:43 PM »
eminent ?  probably covers it lol :)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2
 
Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"
 

Offline ciento

Re: Another hardware teaser by the MorphOS-Team
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 02:51:41 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;602874
The MorphOS Development Team does not disclose which models they are going to support until they are very close to being ready to release a version of MorphOS for those models.  I don't think they are going to change their ways now, so don't get your hopes up that they will announce which Mac models will be supported in the future so you can go shopping.  They have always said don't buy any computer to run MorphOS on in the future, until support for that model is released, or at least confirmed that release of support for such model(s) is eminent, by the Team.
It's not like they grab a Mac out of the bin each day, and hope to get lucky with the days code. And I doubt there are a dozen models being worked on. But if there are for example 3 models being worked on, and the release order changes for some reason, no big deal. It would help their customers and userbase to know the 3.

There's no big-box returns process to fear, its hobbyist computing, anyone buying a Mac for more than its resale value is already headed for the loony bin or soup kitchen anyway.
Cheers :)
 

Offline persia

Re: Another hardware teaser by the MorphOS-Team
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 03:33:17 AM »
Since they disclosed now, does that mean they are ready for release?  PowerMac 12.1 refers only to the 17 and 20 inch G5 iMacs made between October '05 and January '06....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.
 

Offline Golem!dk

Re: Another hardware teaser by the MorphOS-Team
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 11:38:38 AM »
Quote from: persia;602980
Since they disclosed now, does that mean they are ready for release?


No.
~
 

Offline kedawa

Re: Another hardware teaser by the MorphOS-Team
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 04:31:09 PM »
I think it's safe to assume the revision A iMac G5 is out of the question entirely because it uses Nvidia graphics, but the rev B and C machines both use ATI, so here's hoping.