Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Roadshow for 68K -Needs your support!  (Read 65502 times)

Description:

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
Re: Roadshow for 68K -Needs your support!
« Reply #359 from previous page: December 12, 2012, 04:57:25 AM »
Where are the timing tests?

You know I can't live without my timing tests :)
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline Minuous

« Reply #360 on: December 12, 2012, 05:37:24 AM »
Surely it would be feasible and indeed trivial to port the OS4 Roadshow GUI to OS3, as they are both ReAction-based...is there some compelling reason this isn't possible?

Offline Bamiga2002

• Show only replies by Bamiga2002
    • http://rutinskiband.net
« Reply #361 on: December 12, 2012, 06:25:08 AM »
Yeah. If Hyperion support the Amiga, they should have no reason to let that GUI be ported to 3.x.
CD32
A500

Offline olsen

« Reply #362 on: December 12, 2012, 08:41:44 AM »
Quote from: pVC;718517
These to devices:
3c589.device (3Com Etherlink III PCMCIA cards)
hydra.device (Hydra Systems' Amiganet cards)
norway.device (Norway ethernet add-on for Highway USB controller)
x-surf.device (Individual Computers' X-Surf cards)

I haven't tested them with Roadshow, but they do work without any tricks with old amitcp at least. I may be able to test at least some of them later, if needed.

Thank you, I have just added new ready-made configuration files for these devices, and these changes will hopefully soon appear in the demo version, and eventually the commercial release in January next year.

Offline olsen

« Reply #363 on: December 12, 2012, 08:43:34 AM »
Quote from: Crumb;718520
Does it work with poseidon usb-ethernet adapters? IIRC there was some problem on OS4 using Roadshow+Poseidon because it was mandatory to use a file based device (and in contrast Poseidon created the network device in memory so choosing it was not possible)

Which name does the Poseidon SANA-II driver have?

Since Roadshow on 68k does not have a GUI to select the driver with, adding the driver's name to the configuration file by means of a text editor should help to avoid that SNAFU :)

If you can tell me the name of the driver, I'll add another ready-made configuration file for it right now.

Offline olsen

« Reply #364 on: December 12, 2012, 08:55:17 AM »
Quote from: aggro_mix;718567
I'll give that a try! I never ran the installer, just extracted the files to a temp place and made some assigns, copied and checked the config file and then ran the startup command.

I think I prefer the stack not to have a gui, maybe a prefs editior for those less experienced.

That's what I was (and still am) uncertain about.

The current configuration process works something like this:

1) You run the installer, which copies everything to the boot volume
2) You restart your system, so the S:Network-Startup will get invoked
3) You pick one of the network interface configuration files in SYS:Storage/NetInterfaces which matches the hardware you have installed
4) If that works out, you move that configuration file into DEVS:NetInterfaces
5) The next time you reboot your system, the network should come up automatically, configured using DHCP

If you don't know much about how TCP/IP networking actually does work out, and what the configuration options do, then this approach should still work. You do not need expert knowledge to get going. It would be easier, however, if Roadshow could suggest the network interface driver you ought to use, if you don't know it already (which brings further complications: what if you have two Ariadne cards installed? then you'd need to make copies of the Ariadne config files and change the unit number in one of them).

Assuming that there was a GUI for Roadshow, how would the setup process look like? My guess is that it would not be more complicated, and probably not much simpler either.

If you were to venture beyond the simple setup process, I'd say you would have to have sufficient experience to set up your network, picking the right IPv4 address, the right default route, the right DNS server. If you know how to do that, you won't be deterred by having to use a text editor to make these changes to the Roadshow configuration files, and maybe open the shell and use the Roadshow shell commands that may be required.

Chances are that you set up your network once and rarely if ever make changes to the configuration.

And the same would be true if there was a GUI. A GUI which would likely be used once only, and which would take quite some effort to get it right. I have tried to get this off the ground four times, and it always came to nothing. Part of me wants to see this as the Universe giving me a hint that I ought to have smartened up after the second attempt.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 09:05:25 AM by olsen »

Offline olsen

« Reply #365 on: December 12, 2012, 08:56:23 AM »
Quote from: utri007;718617
Don't forget prism.device

Is that prism.device or prism2.device? I already have a ready-made configuration file for prism2.device in the demo version.

Offline olsen

« Reply #366 on: December 12, 2012, 09:02:59 AM »
Quote from: Minuous;718661
Surely it would be feasible and indeed trivial to port the OS4 Roadshow GUI to OS3, as they are both ReAction-based...is there some compelling reason this isn't possible?

Honestly, I didn't ask if I might borrow or adapt the OS4 GUI. I would have had to pay for it like everybody else, since I do not own it.

As for "surely if would be feasible", I've had to learn my lesson and eat humble pie. If there ever was something I thought would certainly be doable and not too challenging, it was writing a GUI for Roadshow.

You just cannot take this for granted. I tried four times, I failed four times over the course of 8+ years. And these repeated failures took their toll on the whole project.

Offline olsen

« Reply #367 on: December 12, 2012, 09:04:34 AM »
Quote from: Bamiga2002;718668
Yeah. If Hyperion support the Amiga, they should have no reason to let that GUI be ported to 3.x.

Is that so? Well, I didn't ask. And I'm not so sure if the GUI is that badly necessary any more, the longer I think about it, and the more I reactions to the current state of things I'm reading.

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #368 on: December 12, 2012, 09:13:26 AM »
Quote from: olsen;718686
Which name does the Poseidon SANA-II driver have?

Since Roadshow on 68k does not have a GUI to select the driver with, adding the driver's name to the configuration file by means of a text editor should help to avoid that SNAFU :)

If you can tell me the name of the driver, I'll add another ready-made configuration file for it right now.

It seems that typing even though it doesn't exist physically should do the trick, so it should be:
"Devs:Network/dm9601eth.device" for Davicom (or should it be usbdm9601eth.device?)
"Devs:Network/usbasixeth.device" for Asix
"Devs:Network/usbpegasus.device" for Pegasus
"Devs:Network/usbmoschipeth.device" for MosChip MCS7830

I have a pair of asix adapters but I won't have access to my Deneb until weekend.

I can't remember if there are more drivers.

I could help with a Reaction/ClassAct GUI and give all the rights to Olaf Barthel although I don't think I have a lot of time to do it until christmas.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 09:19:28 AM by Crumb »
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline pVC

« Reply #369 on: December 12, 2012, 10:02:10 AM »
Quote from: olsen;718685
Thank you, I have just added new ready-made configuration files for these devices, and these changes will hopefully soon appear in the demo version, and eventually the commercial release in January next year.

And one more thing... you have Mediator configuration file, which has FastEthernet.device. Mediator software has actually two different network devices. FastEthernet.device is for RTL8139 compatible 10/100Mbps cards, while MediatorNET.device is used for  RTL8029 compatible 10Mbps cards. So, you should make two different config files for Mediator use.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline olsen

« Reply #370 on: December 12, 2012, 10:55:26 AM »
Quote from: Crumb;718692
It seems that typing even though it doesn't exist physically should do the trick, so it should be:
"Devs:Network/dm9601eth.device" for Davicom (or should it be usbdm9601eth.device?)
"Devs:Network/usbasixeth.device" for Asix
"Devs:Network/usbpegasus.device" for Pegasus
"Devs:Network/usbmoschipeth.device" for MosChip MCS7830

Thank you, I have added configuration files for the lot (and it's "usbdm9601eth.device", as far as Google tells me).

I have a pair of asix adapters but I won't have access to my Deneb until weekend.

I can't remember if there are more drivers.

I could help with a Reaction/ClassAct GUI and give all the rights to Olaf Barthel although I don't think I have a lot of time to do it until christmas.

Thank you, but this could quickly turn into an overwhelming task. Just a word of caution...

Offline olsen

« Reply #371 on: December 12, 2012, 10:57:50 AM »
Quote from: pVC;718696
And one more thing... you have Mediator configuration file, which has FastEthernet.device. Mediator software has actually two different network devices. FastEthernet.device is for RTL8139 compatible 10/100Mbps cards, while MediatorNET.device is used for  RTL8029 compatible 10Mbps cards. So, you should make two different config files for Mediator use.

Thank you, I didn't know that. There are now two different Mediator interface files instead of one: one MediatorFast (formerly known as "Mediator", for "FastEthernet.device") and MediatorNET (MediatorNET.device).

Offline lumby

« Reply #372 on: December 12, 2012, 08:04:03 PM »
Yeah!!!
Have just install it with my X-Surf.device
And it works great ;-)
Can't wait to get a copy.
Keep up the great work.
Amiga 4000D - Phase 5: Cyberstorm PPC604e@233Mhz/060@50Mhz, Cybervision PPC, CV3D Scandoubler AND 144MB, 60GB IDE Harddrive, OS3.9 KS3.1

Amiga 1200 - Blizzard 1230 Mk-IV, 20GB IDE Harddrive, 18MB, OS3.9 KS3.1

Amiga 1000
Amiga 500 - A501, Alfapow...

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #373 on: December 12, 2012, 08:36:17 PM »
Quote from: olsen;718690
If there ever was something I thought would certainly be doable and not too challenging, it was writing a GUI for Roadshow.

You just cannot take this for granted. I tried four times, I failed four times over the course of 8+ years.

so whats so difficult about it if it is so easy? i really dont get it..

jason mcmullan when he introduced prnter support for aros wrote quickly a gui for it, without any experience with mui/zune before. arostcp has a working prefs gui, i can set xsurf device on my a4k and it works.. so why an oldskool amiga developer cant write a simple prefs gui? maybe the problem is delegating it to others who actually dont get it done. maybe doing it self is the fastest and most secure of choices. i for my part would expect a tcp stack for twenty bucks to come with a gui even if basic one. im not bashing here, its just my opinion.

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #374 on: December 12, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
Some of us coderz get writer's block when asked to code a GUI.  It happens to me a lot.  My brain wave patterns have to be in the right shape to do it.

Anyway, someone else who is good at GUI writing can whip one out anytime they like.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA